PDA

View Full Version : Internet Browsers

halloween
07-30-2012, 05:12 PM
...because I'm a dork, I just got waaaay too excited with the fact that Opera can hide tabs behind tabs (though I knew this from using Opera Next for a long time) and also has touchpad movements that can open new tabs and go back/forward. I decided to re-download it after I got tired of Chrome having some issues when I had too many tabs open and some flash based sites.

I just needed to share, and why not have a thread on browsers why I'm at it.

liquidcalm
07-30-2012, 05:20 PM
since Chrome has been out on iOS and Android I'm loving the fact my bookmarks share from my ipad, to my phone, to my work laptop, to my home laptop to my desktop with no fuss... its genius I say!

DF118
07-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I use Chrome, but find it's been increasingly twitchy on Mac OS. It always feels like it's stuck on perpetual Beta.

Remember when everybody loved Firefox? And StumbleUpon was popular? And that advert with the retarded Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator icons? Oh my god.

Leviathant
07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm still a Firefox blowhard. Yes, the memory leaks associated with add-ons suck, but not when you've got 16gb of RAM. And apparently FF15 fixes this issue.

xmd 5a
07-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Remember when everybody loved Firefox?

I still do and refuse to use anything else :p It works the best for my purposes and I remain unconvinced by Chrome, so I don't see any point in switching.

Pillfred
07-31-2012, 08:45 PM
I use/used firefox but now that I'm pretty much just on my mac i have found safari to be pretty decent.

thelastdisciple
08-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I always found this write pretty good and explains with analogies and humor pretty much exactly how i went from Firefox to Chrome.

My dear Firefox,

I have procrastinated for too long telling you this. And I want you to know, it pains my heart to do so, and if it is any consolation, I'd rather look back with nostalgia on our good times first.

I remember when we first met. I was engaged to I.E. At first I didn't think much of my relationship with her. It was like an arranged marriage. She was well below average in the looks department, and she wasn't too good with her performance either. She was well overweight and yet bulimic. She frequently stole my medication. An attention whore always having to be right there with me. I.E. just wasn't the kind of girl I could spend my life with. To me, she felt like the kind of girl a guy who never bothered to try just automatically got stuck with.

Andres, a Mexican man and hardcore computer nerd, introduced me to you. He showed me you from across the room. You were amazingly attractive. It was your third version around this time, every guy at the party swooned over you with absolute excitement. I knew I had to have you. I charmed you, and you said yes, and let me download and install you. You were always a girl who believed in commitment. So for you, and for me, I set you as the default browser, and kicked I.E. to the curb. She was angry with me, no doubt. But you, Firefox, you knew the art of spite. I deleted I.E.'s shortcut and left her where I'd never see her again. And you and I kissed for the first time. I was won over so soon, it was only a matter of 20 minutes before I gave you I.E.'s engagement ring. I forcibly took it back from her and gave it to you. And then, you had her homepage, all to yourself. A bright shining ring to let the world know you were mine.

We were happy for a long while. I could find you in most places I travelled. You were always so available. Meanwhile, all the other girls looked so substandard compared to you. There was Safari, the weird girl from that prep school. I always hated that prep school. They claimed to be swine flu free. The only reason they never got swine flu is because so few people go to that school, and I could never afford the tuition. Safari tried to transfer to our school, but she looked out of place, and she was an outcast. I.E., meanwhile, desperately sought to have me back. She showed off her 8th version, begging me to try. She claimed she got treatment for all her disorders and was fine now, but I knew better. So Firefox, you and I passionately surfed every corner of the world, as we scoffed at those reject girls, left alone without a man and a finger down their throat, hoping enough times purging would make them pretty, but it never did.

And then, I cheated on you. My friend James was doing a girl named Chrome. He invited me over for a threesome. He promised me Chrome was into it and our pensises wouldn't touch, and even if they did, we absolutely would not be gay. Right? Right?! Sorry, I digress. Chrome was stunningly beautiful, and she climaxed so fast. But there was something I didn't like about her. I think it was the way she opened tabs. She was always displaying all my secrets in the open, as if it is anyone's business what sites I'm browsing, god help me if people ever found out. James insisted there was a way to change this setting on her, that she was easily persuaded. But I didn't listen. I felt dirty, so I went back to you, never telling you what I did.

I was content to spend the rest of my life with you. But, you had these problems I was just starting to notice more. Every week you spent time in the bathroom doing your hair. At least you said you were doing your hair, you were probably just pooping a long time and were too self-conscious to tell me, understandable. A lot of things a browser does is not attractive, and she does them in secret so her boyfriend only sees the better parts of her. That was fine of you. But you were in the bathroom for so long. I woke up each morning ready to browse, and you said "Just 5 minutes, I'm updating!". Honey, back in the Medieval times, even dial-up took less than 5 minutes, you were unreasonable. And I would have tolerated the updates, but I never noticed ANYTHING different about you. Minutes turned to hours over the years, wasted hours of my life, as you constantly updated.

Then you started falling asleep during sex, and I've have to open you again. I rationalized this away, all browsers fall asleep sometimes. But sometimes you couldn't restore the tabs, and resuming where I left off was important, you know? Sometimes I had to wake you up with Control+Alt+Delete, and by that time, I was limp again. This just started happening more and more, your updates in the bathroom doing nothing to fix them.

The worst thing though, sweetie, was when you let that fucking gypsy in the house. Now yes, I should have been more on the lookout for gypsies, I was browsing Encyclopedia Dramatica after all and that slum is crawing with them. But I knew the gypsy was a scammer. He insisted in his thick accent that my computer could be at risk. I needed his anti-virus program, and he needed my credit card. As if that gypsy's rogue anti-virus program could fool anyone! Well, maybe Sarah Palin. I imagine she has wondered to herself often why they're still telling her that her computer is infected when she's spending $15,000 a month to keep the viruses away. Ah, I digress again. I said no to the gypsy, and I thought you'd understand. But one day, completely without my permission, you let the gypsy in. He spent a full 24 hours exhaustingly trying to sell me his scam, and he prevented you from loading so I could google the police to get him out. He disabled my Brinks Home Security System, yes, AVG was no match for his cunning scheme. And he even stole my control panel! "Ze Control Panel Eees a Veeroos" he said. MSconfig got rid of him, I prevented his execution and sent his sorry ass to the abyss.

But by that time I was fed up with you, and it hurts so much to admit it. I am leaving you dear, I am with Chrome now, and I am customizing her exactly the way I want her. James approves. You know, he never could pronounce your name. He always called you "Foxfire". Idiot. But that doesn't matter now, because I have chosen Chrome, and I plan to marry her.

Please know, Firefox, if ever I am without Chrome, and all I can see is you and that repulsively ugly I.E., you know I will be glad to have an affair with you. <3

Space Suicide
08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Safari for me by preference and on my Mac, obviously.

Firefox for my PC.

Anyone find this browser indirectly funny and kinda racist?:

www.blackbirdhome.com/

Halo Infinity
09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
I probably might check out Mozilla Firefox again. I've been mostly using Safari as of late though, but I was very big on Firefox back in most of the mid to late 2000s. This thread also remind me to check out Google Chrome again as well.

virushopper
09-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Comodo's Dragon, it's like Chrome minus the Google nonsense!

Halo Infinity
09-29-2013, 08:33 PM
After what seems to be around 5 to 6 years of using Safari, I thought of using Firefox again. I think I'll actually keep different browsers on my computer as I'm usually curious of their different features and capabilities. It's like returning to an old home again. It doesn't seem to be bad at all. :)

After this, I think I'm just going to download Chrome next.

Fixer808
09-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Homer's reaction is how I feel when I accidentally open Internet Explorer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aUpHP8IkRE

marodi
09-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Since Chrome has updated a couple of days ago, everything is sooooo slooooooow...

What have you done, Google Chrome; what have you done?

slave2thewage
09-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Since Chrome has updated a couple of days ago, everything is sooooo slooooooow...

What have you done, Google Chrome; what have you done?
The Chrome update is awful. The audio lag on YouTube is particularly annoying.

Halo Infinity
11-13-2013, 03:33 AM
After what seemed to be 6 years of using Safari, I think I'm finally back on the Firefox train altogether again. I've been having some problems with Safari and Chrome as of late, so I thought that I'd just make do with Firefox. And as of now, it seems just right. :)

ibanez33
11-13-2013, 04:07 AM
Funny, I was just thinking of switching to Chrome because Firefox has been so problematic lately. The only reason I've been putting it off is I don't want to have to re-add 300 bookmarks and several other things like AdBlock and RES and such.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Funny, I was just thinking of switching to Chrome because Firefox has been so problematic lately. The only reason I've been putting it off is I don't want to have to re-add 300 bookmarks and several other things like AdBlock and RES and such.
I use Xmarks to keep my bookmarks synced between Chrome (Mac), Firefox (Windows mostly) and the Xmarks iPad app. Life without cross-browser sync is miserable (same reason I use LastPass for my passwords).

It totally sucks for Safari, unfortunately.

Every so often I get disgusted with whatever I'm using on the Mac and switch. Now would be a good time to try the Mavericks version of Safari, since Chrome is getting on my nerves again, but manually syncing bookmarks is too painful.

Ryan
11-17-2013, 08:00 AM
having a problem suddenly with my Gmail in firefox i've cleared cookies, blah blah blah, but now when i open gmail it just sits at the 99% load point and nothing happens, and i have to view in standard html. can anyone give me a fix? tried lots of different google remedies but it's still being a prick

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/101-Random-Tech-Questions?p=152246#post152246

edit: Fixed it. Had to uninstall, but uninstall and not have it remember any of my settings, and now relogin to everything.

Halo Infinity
08-05-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm still a Firefox blowhard. Yes, the memory leaks associated with add-ons suck, but not when you've got 16gb of RAM. And apparently FF15 fixes this issue.
After knowing that for quite some time, I'm surprised that I didn't share Firefox's official pages on Facebook and Twitter with you yet.

https://www.facebook.com/Firefox

https://twitter.com/firefox

And as mentioned, I've been sticking with Firefox again, and it seems to work the best on my current Dell computer. I actually used Safari for quite a while, but for whatever reason, it kept messing up on my computer. I also tried Opera and Google Chrome, but I just couldn't get all that used to Opera, even if I got a general idea on how to use it, and Google Chrome ended up messing up even a lot more on my computer than Safari ever did.

So, so far Firefox has been smooth sailing in comparison ever since.

Substance242
04-04-2015, 05:35 AM
FYI, if you're using some kind of AdBlock (Pro or EDGE or anything), I recommend uninstall and replace it with uBlock ("u" as "micro", Chrome/Chromium, Firefox), it really is faster and I trust it more.

Space Suicide
04-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Since I own Mac computers anything other than Safari seems weird to me....which is I use and love Safari, honestly. I know a lot hate it.

My PC laptop runs Firefox since I guess it's the best alternative. I hate Google Chrome and IE is a fucking joke and has been for over a decade. No other real browsers interest me or make me want to explore elsewhere.

bruised
04-04-2015, 04:36 PM
I just started using chrome, after using safari for the last few years. I like it. Haven't used firefox in forever, and I loved it.

Joy Prevention Hotline
04-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Chrome is still the one I like best. When Firefox finally gets its act together on "one process per tab" it might be more of a toss-up between the two.

I've had this new machine for almost a year (literally ordered it a year ago yesterday) and haven't felt a need to switch browsers yet — probably a personal record. :p Maybe 16GB of RAM (eek!) is what you need to keep Chrome happy.

thelastdisciple
04-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Yeah i have 16GB of RAM and it certainly helps feed the Chrome beast what it wants.

Clownboat
04-12-2015, 05:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/C8NuVir.jpg

Halo Infinity
12-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I still sometimes switch browsers occasionally and just thought of giving Opera another try. It actually seems to be a lot better than I've remembered it.

Frozen Beach
12-10-2015, 03:16 PM
I've heard Pale Moon and SeaMonkey are good, but I haven't tried them myself. The big fault of Pale Moon is they have no support for MSE which you need to HTML5, which they have no plans to implement. That kills their browsers usability IMO.

Also, the weird thing is, that when youtube tinkered with HTML5 player a few months back, it ruined my ability to watch there videos with the HTML5 player. Now, I get incredibly bad frame drops when I go fullscreen. It didn't use to do that.

edit: So, I decided to switch to Ublock after procrastinating for so long, and that fixed my youtube problem. It was all Adblocker's fault... What the hell, Adblocker?

Halo Infinity
03-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I just gave AOL Shield a try and it seems to be doing rather well on my laptop. (Firefox is still my main browser though.) I just felt a bit nostalgic over AOL, as I also ended up taking a look around their e-mail service too. Although I have tried Gmail, Yahoo and Outlook, AOL Mail as of right now doesn't seem to be bad to me at all. There's something that I like in all of them, although I can obviously still see why Gmail is still considered to be the best, while being the most popular.

http://www.aol.com/

http://discover.aol.com/products-and-services/aol-shield-browser

I also thought that AOL was gone, but was just reminded that Verizon actually owns it now, so that could be why there has been a recent rise in all of their feature. I also don't think I that I ever had that many really serious problems with AOL either, it's just that as soon as dial-up was on its way out, AOL also had to go.

However, it's funny, since I'm on Verizon and Verizon currently owns AOL, so it's as if I came around full circle Internet user-wise. :p

clulcu
04-13-2016, 07:43 AM
I still like Safari the best, always had problems with Chrome and FF on my mac

Halo Infinity
05-25-2019, 10:58 PM
I just tried Brave recently, and I'm still very new to it. Brave is kind of like another Google Chrome, which was actually based on Chromium to start with. I'd definitely recommend it to anybody that already likes Google Chrome, even if for one to just check it out. Aside from that, I still also tend to switch between Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_(web_browser)

https://brave.com/

https://www.facebook.com/BraveSoftware/

https://twitter.com/brave

https://www.youtube.com/bravesoftware

https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser

thelastdisciple
05-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Halo Infinity

I had Brave on my phone for a little while, i think it was mostly fine although i ended up switching to DuckDuckGo's browser to try that out also. https://duckduckgo.com/app

I'm not sure which is better to be honest, they both have similar privacy features and built on Chromium.

Darryl
05-30-2019, 03:40 AM
I don't know is it based on Chromium or not, but UC Mini Smooth (https://100appsnow.com/uc-browser-mini-for-android) for android has a similar features. I mean privacy, incognito mode, some plugins etc. On my pc I'm using mostly Opera and Vivaldi browser. I liked Pale Moon also, but it became obsolete a few years ago.

thelastdisciple
06-25-2019, 03:18 AM
I still sometimes switch browsers occasionally and just thought of giving Opera another try. It actually seems to be a lot better than I've remembered it.
I decided to start using Opera GX for my PC, it's built with gamers in mind with RAM and CPU limiters so you can keep the browser open while you game without it hogging much in the way of resources. GX carries over most of the features that the main Opera browser has like the VPN and adblock. So far so good, i wish i could move that sidebar around though like i don't want to switch it off because there's some handy shortcut options but it feels weird on the left side of the window. I would prefer if it could take up some of the space that the bookmark bar isn't currently using.

EDIT: I didn't stick with Opera GX, just didn't gel.

I'm using Firefox full time.