PDA

View Full Version : Mark Hollis and Talk Talk

Maximilian
07-28-2012, 07:45 AM
There used to be a thread on the old board, since no one created a new one I guess I'll be that guy.

The Party's Over
It's My Life
The Colour of Spring
The Spirit of Eden
Laughing Stock
Mark Hollis' solo album

All fantastic albums in my opinion, but some people only dig the later years.

There's also a new book coming out in September, which I paid a pretty penny to pre-order:

http://spiritoftalktalk.com/

thevoid99
07-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Laughing Stock became one of my favorite albums last year. I just love that record to death and it sounds quite timeless. I also love The Spirit of Eden and The Colour of Spring. Must-haves for anyone interested in Talk Talk.

Iran_Ed
07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I Believe in You and New Grass are two of the most beautiful songs I know. The percussion on Ascension Day is perfect.

Amaro
07-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm slowly moving backwards from knowing and loving Laughing Stock from some years back (I wish I could remember exactly how I came to even torrent them, and that album to start). So far I've determined Spirit of Eden is on my to-buy list. And for some reason I dabbled in It's My Life before The Colour of Spring, and didn't quite take to it. Obviously *more* to take in at that point. I liked one song and the title track from one day's listening.

xmd 5a
07-29-2012, 09:24 PM
From some of the best synthpop of the era to THE definitive post-rock album(s), Talk Talk could do no wrong. If I had to pick a favourite it'd be Spirit of Eden, but it's a very close call.

Anyone who digs the later Talk Talk albums should check out Hex and Codename Dustsucker by Bark Psychosis. Lee Harris (Talk Talk's drummer) was involved in the recording of the latter and both albums tread very similar ground to Eden/Laughing Stock.

Dr.Z
04-12-2017, 12:05 PM
A friend of mine showed me Spirit of Eden about 8 years ago and I didn't really get it. Then, about two weeks ago, I revisited the record and now I can't stop listening to this and Laughing Stock and I have the feeling that these two records are everything I ever wanted in music. Wow! Plus, The Colour of Spring is an amazing pop record!

piggy
04-13-2017, 12:01 AM
I finally got turned on to Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden last year and got them for Christmas. Gorgeous albums that any true music lover should check out.

Shadaloo
04-13-2017, 09:38 AM
It's My Life is one of the best songs ever written in the history of man, and I'm not kidding in the slightest. It's beautiful.

But it's also the only song I know. You know what? Next on my list of discographies to hit up: these guys.

Maximilian
04-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Yay. Someone bumped the only thread I ever started on this site!

Have fun exploring this band, you are going to be surprised at their transformation towards the end of their career if you've only heard the song "It's My Life".

frankie teardrop
04-15-2017, 07:29 PM
i love every era... i know a lot of people don't dig the earlier records, but if you have any love of synthpop, this is some of the best of the era. 'hate' and 'today' from the party's over are massive DJ staples for me.

i love bands who evolve like this.