PDA

View Full Version : Random HTDA thoughts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sheepdean
07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Random HTDA thoughts.

xfocalinx
07-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I think "How To Destroy Angels" is a mouthful, and i think something like "destroying Angles" would be much cooler

gorast
07-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I think "How To Destroy Angels" is a mouthful, and i think something like "destroying Angles" would be much cooler
But then the abbreviation would be DA and that's just stupid. HTDA (especially the way the logo is) looks way better.

The Reason Being
07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
I tend to just say "Destroy Angels" when talking music with my friends, I dont think i've ever used the full name out loud really

sheepdean
07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
It can be a bother to say, especially if you have a stammer. HTDA works well though - and people who say HDA annoy me greatly.

theimage13
07-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Random:

Seeing the thread count go up, while not realizing that this thread didn't previously exist, just caused a massive surge of undue excitement.

carpenoctem
07-23-2012, 09:00 PM
As far as their approach goes on the new album, I wonder if a complete news blackout would have been preferable to the slow trickle of hints that we've been getting over the past year. But surely we would be just as restless and desperate, if not more, had they (probably wisely) chosen to say nothing about the album, including vague release windows. I can't decide. Both methods are irritating.

Euphemism
07-24-2012, 02:39 AM

That's very obtuse of you...

eversonpoe
07-25-2012, 02:39 PM
it's also a reference to the first Coil release (a name that trent adopted with the blessing of Peter Christopherson), so there's meaning behind it.

xfocalinx
07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
well yeah, I know that, it's just a mouthful, that's all

Ryan
07-26-2012, 05:07 AM
nine inch nails

how TO destroy angels

oh noes, one more word to say.

sheepdean
07-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Or, if you have one of many English accents, How t'destroy angels.

theimage13
07-26-2012, 06:00 AM
nine inch nails

how TO destroy angels

oh noes, one more word to say.

But it's twice ​as many syllables!

(Frankly, I don't care at all. Just putting it out there.)

Ryan
07-27-2012, 07:12 AM
just call it destroy angels

fillow
07-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Call it How To Fuck Angels In The Ass, I don't care. Just bring the new music already.

Harry Seaward
07-27-2012, 10:18 AM
it's just a mouthful, that's all

http://i.imgur.com/Vm2Gf.jpg]

Vertigo
07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Every thread can be improved with a sprinkling of Arrested Development. Just as every painting can be improved with the inclusion of a dinosaur. (We'll let the Mona Lisa off as it predated the scientific description of the dinosauria by three centuries.)

On topic, I'd love to know if they're still coming up with ideas for tweaking the LP's music, given that it's allegedly been finished for a while. They've got the unusual opportunity to continue tinkering after the horse would normally have bolted the stable, and a few months' perspective can give new insights into material.

xfocalinx
07-28-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't know why everyone is chastising me for posting my random thought. :\

carpenoctem
07-29-2012, 08:47 AM
I don't know why everyone is chastising me for posting my random thought. :\

Not chastising, merely struggling to find something interesting to talk about in a gaping black hole where HTDA news goes to die.

somewhat_
07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
I think this album will end up being either one of the worst or one of the best projects Trent has worked on. I'm basing this on the length of time he's been working on it (remember when this was supposed to come out at the end of 2010?), the fact "tweaks" are being done, and that TR has stated how exciting it is to do something outside of the realm of NIN that has the possibility to fail (or something along those lines). My guess is he is either crafting it to be one of his masterpieces or he is completely unsure about the material and doesn't even know if he himself likes it. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, I will call this a few days early: another month bites the dust. Jesus Christ, will this album ever come out?

sheepdean
07-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I hope the Deluxe version of the album (come one, we know there'll be one) has IYLSE? on it, and higher quality versions of those .ogg files of the making of The Believers from Wired. As a NIN fan, too much stuff is lost or hard to get due to being on a soundtrack or only released once on in an obscure medium, and HTDA has the chance to have a clean slate of making everything easy to get.

carpenoctem
07-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I think this album will end up being either one of the worst or one of the best projects Trent has worked on. I'm basing this on the length of time he's been working on it (remember when this was supposed to come out at the end of 2010?), the fact "tweaks" are being done, and that TR has stated how exciting it is to do something outside of the realm of NIN that has the possibility to fail (or something along those lines). My guess is he is either crafting it to be one of his masterpieces or he is completely unsure about the material and doesn't even know if he himself likes it. Thoughts?

I'm thrilled that he and his crew have taken a lot of time on it, for sure. His best stuff has always been made this way. And at this point the band is still such an unknown quantity; the EP was great but it didn't give us much of an idea of where they could go. The potential is there for the record to be great, I just wanna hear it.

butter_hole
07-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Pretty sure the album has been done for a while, they're just waiting for the right time to put it out..

Shnoorum
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
THERE IS NOTHING NEW IN THIS POST, THE LINK IS OLD OLD NEWS, DO NOT GET EXCITED!

Okay, you may now proceed to scroll down

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/05/process_song/

I'm assuming everyones heard these but I only just decided to try and track it down since I heard it had more than just the actual song on it. The problem is, my laptop can't play the files without ripping the audio files from them. When I play them through VLC it cuts the length down completely. Anyone know where I can hear them all without using the actual mobile app?

sheepdean
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Chrome plays them happily, and if you have an issue just open in a new tab. If your computer can't play .ogg (which is odd, as it's a universal file format these days), just search for the codec for your media player of choice on google.

Shnoorum
07-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Chrome plays them happily, and if you have an issue just open in a new tab. If your computer can't play .ogg (which is odd, as it's a universal file format these days), just search for the codec for your media player of choice on google.

Why thank you good sir. Chrome works perfectly.

Although it always pains me when Chrome outdoes my beloved Firefox, I shall overlook it this time

sheepdean
08-01-2012, 05:19 PM
What if HTDA's LP is a double album, that's why it took so long? #wishfulthinking

jessamineny
08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
That might seem arrogant coming from a new band with their first full album.

Corey Bloom
08-01-2012, 06:37 PM
That might seem arrogant coming from a new band with their first full album.

Trent can be as arrogant as he wants at this point haha

BRoswell
08-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I'd love to see a double album, but between The Social Network, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Call of Duty, and possible Nine Inch Nails material, I don't think they've had the proper amount of time to put something like that together. I could be wrong (that would be a pretty good thing to be wrong about, hehe), but I imagine this will be a single album, probably around the same length as The Slip/Pretty Hate Machine.

jessamineny
08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Trent can be as arrogant as he wants at this point haha

Well, yes, he certainly could be, but I don't think he would want to be with this particular project. The stakes are higher -- besides the basic fact that it's a brand-new project, he's not the center of the universe here; he doesn't just have himself and his success to consider.

Edit: And I should clarify that I don't mean that in a negative way whatsoever. When it comes to NIN, he's the center of that universe; he's it.

carpenoctem
08-02-2012, 04:30 PM
The stakes are higher -- besides the basic fact that it's a brand-new project, he's not the center of the universe here; he doesn't just have himself and his success to consider.

Except for the fact that most of the comments I read on here mention Trent a lot more than Mariqueen and Atticus (i.e. "he's taking his time with this one" or "I wish Trent would etc. etc." rather than "they"). He's still the focal point of the band to most people, and of course it's his name that's going to draw in the uninitiated.

jessamineny
08-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Except for the fact that most of the comments I read on here mention Trent a lot more than Mariqueen and Atticus (i.e. "he's taking his time with this one" or "I wish Trent would etc. etc." rather than "they"). He's still the focal point of the band to most people, and of course it's his name that's going to draw in the uninitiated.

Yeah, it's a NIN board. Of course we make him the focus.

He has, however, made it clear he doesn't want himself to be the focus of the band.

But that wasn't the point of my argument in any case. It was that of course TR would care about the perceptions of this project, because there are other members of the band -- including his wife -- whose success he would naturally be compelled to consider.

Harry Seaward
08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/otY8C.png

Collaboration? I sure hope so.

sheepdean
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Yeah, it's a NIN board. Of course we make him the focus.

He has, however, made it clear he doesn't want himself to be the focus of the band.

But that wasn't the point of my argument in any case. It was that of course TR would care about the perceptions of this project, because there are other members of the band -- including his wife -- whose success he would naturally be compelled to consider.
Last time I checked, we were on the HTDA board

sore_and_crucified
08-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Everywhere that I post seems to be locked. Last time I checked a forum was a place to hold a conversation. We need some new music really, come on Trent!

danebraddy
08-04-2012, 06:40 PM
In May (I think), Trent mentioned in an interview that baby number two was weeks away. Assuming he was right, that means he and Q have an 8 week old along with an almost two year old - I have two year old and one on the way, I completely understand why things may be on hold for a little bit - newborns and toddlers tend to demand some attention ;)
Especially if they were going to do something live...

carpenoctem
08-04-2012, 11:38 PM
In May (I think), Trent mentioned in an interview that baby number two was weeks away. Assuming he was right, that means he and Q have an 8 week old along with an almost two year old - I have two year old and one on the way, I completely understand why things may be on hold for a little bit - newborns and toddlers tend to demand some attention ;)
Especially if they were going to do something live...

There was an interview in May? I thought they've been in radio silence for a lot longer than that. The last interview I read was last year, in Rolling Stone, and I thought he'd mentioned the baby was coming a lot sooner than this summer.

FernandoDante
08-05-2012, 07:27 PM
There was an interview in May? I thought they've been in radio silence for a lot longer than that. The last interview I read was last year, in Rolling Stone, and I thought he'd mentioned the baby was coming a lot sooner than this summer.
There have been at least "a few" interviews this year.

Which means "too many" mentions of the HTDA record not coming to fruition until the very end of the year, at least.

Jumprof
08-06-2012, 03:39 AM
Which means "too many" mentions of the HTDA record not coming to fruition until the very end of the year, at least. I'm fine with it. Sometimes good music needs a little time to come to fruition :-)

danebraddy
08-06-2012, 04:40 AM

You're right, may bad - Baby would have been born mid - late January. Still that an almost 2 year old and a six month old taking up the time of two thirds of the band.

I guess I try not to think about the personal lives* of TR, Q or any other musician I like, but when I take this into account it explains the delay, silence and makes me feel a bit like a dick for whining about it ;)

*meaning the parts of their life they don't really want to, or do talk about

carpenoctem
08-06-2012, 05:49 PM
You're right, may bad - Baby would have been born mid - late January. Still that an almost 2 year old and a six month old taking up the time of two thirds of the band.

I guess I try not to think about the personal lives* of TR, Q or any other musician I like, but when I take this into account it explains the delay, silence and makes me feel a bit like a dick for whining about it ;)

*meaning the parts of their life they don't really want to, or do talk about

I'm right there with you buddy. The wait is agonizing. Babies are horrible.

Harry Seaward
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Also worth noting that Trent probably has more than enough money to have the babies taken care of, while the adults do work. It's not quite the same as some single mother having to take care of two new children and having no time for work/play.

jessamineny
08-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Also worth noting that Trent probably has more than enough money to have the babies taken care of...

They're married*. It's their money.

*in California, no less

carpenoctem
08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Also worth noting that Trent probably has more than enough money to have the babies taken care of, while the adults do work. It's not quite the same as some single mother having to take care of two new children and having no time for work/play.

Except they probably like their babies and want to spend time with them. Especially since Trent's an old dad, and probably old dads are more appreciative or something. You know, the whole "special treasure, had you late in life" kind of thing. He's waited this long to settle down and start a family so this is a big thing for him.

jessamineny
08-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Except they probably like their babies and want to spend time with them. Especially since Trent's an old dad, and probably old dads are more appreciative or something. You know, the whole "special treasure, had you late in life" kind of thing. He's waited this long to settle down and start a family so this is a big thing for him.

That post is so chock-full of stereotypes. I'll just say this: 47 is not that fucking old. Jesus.

WorzelG
08-07-2012, 02:56 AM
I think it would be much easier to tour when the kids are little and can come with you, when they go to school is when it would become much harder unless you send them to boarding school (do they have that in America?) considering BOTH parents are in the band, so i'd put money on a tour sooner rather than later

carpenoctem
08-07-2012, 04:55 PM
That post is so chock-full of stereotypes. I'll just say this: 47 is not that fucking old. Jesus.

It's definitely not the average age that men welcome new kids at, nor is it close to it. But it's becoming more common.

sheepdean
08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
http://tamarlevine-1111.tumblr.com/post/29275553152/11-11am-8-12-12-getting-ready-to-photograph
If she's doing photos of Q, that would lead to believe that perhaps some kind of release of them to promote the LP is coming soon? Maybe? I'm fucking fishing for stuff here guys.

somewhat_
08-12-2012, 05:20 PM
http://tamarlevine-1111.tumblr.com/post/29275553152/11-11am-8-12-12-getting-ready-to-photograph
If she's doing photos of Q, that would lead to believe that perhaps some kind of release of them to promote the LP is coming soon? Maybe? I'm fucking fishing for stuff here guys.

You may have caught a fish:

http://instagram.com/p/OPTMl-kKAB/

Shnoorum
08-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Oh god, not more photos! I don't mean that in a nasty way, she's very pleasant on the eye and everything. If the situation wasn't as it is, I would be quite happy to see pictures of Q posted on HTDA's twitter. But I just.. I just can't handle anymore detail free teases...

Do they hate me?! Have I wronged them in some way?! Please, for the love of all that is holy, put me out of my mysery!

sheepdean
08-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Ah, but Tamar Lavine, on top of being Rob's fiancé, is a photographer who has done pro shots for NIN before, so her doing the photos strongly implies that there'll be some press shots etc being made. Q's face was the cover of the first single, maybe it'll be the cover of the second one too?

Shnoorum
08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
I sincerely hope so. My optimistic side is rearing its fat ugly head again. My mind keeps telling me ''Oh, but its Sunday. Monday seems the perfect time to announce an album. You know, being the beginning of the week and all'' FUCK OFF OPTIMISM YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER BY NOW!

butter_hole
08-12-2012, 09:41 PM
maybe she just wants a new fb profile pic

imail724
08-13-2012, 11:46 AM
The past few days every time I go onto the site I download music from I get excited for a millisecond, then realize I'm seeing the new single from How To Dress Well. :/

BenAkenobi
08-13-2012, 12:00 PM
How To Drool Anxiously

peanoot3
08-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Being that new photos were being taken, I'm assuming that they're for press/promotional purposes. Today I keep feeling that there will be some form of announcement this week, but I felt the same thing about two months ago. I'm ecstatic that they're taking their time on this project, but the wait is very, very painful. I do know this for sure... when something finally gets announced, a majority of us (including myself) will go apeshit.

Shnoorum
08-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't mind them taking long on it. When it comes down to it, it can only be a good thing they're taking their time on it. The part I hate is the Twitter post every 2 months or so that ends up just being a damned picture. Every time I see a new tweet, I go berserk with excitement only to see another damned photo with absolutely no details what so ever. They must be doing this on purpose. Cheeky buggers

sheepdean
08-14-2012, 09:33 PM
So Mariqueen was on another band's album before HTDA's came out? RUDE
http://mingping.ning.com/page/store-1

Shnoorum
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Just listened to it. Very odd. Upbeat sounding to the extent that I couldn't recognise her voice (or wouldn't have been able to if she wasn't the only female vocalist in the song). At any rate, I agree. How rude!

Frozen Beach
08-14-2012, 10:28 PM
To be fair, she's in love with that group, apparently.

FernandoDante
08-15-2012, 11:19 PM
OMG A PICTURE ON INSTAGRAM REOPEN THE ALBUM THREAD

meh, who am I kidding

peanoot3
08-16-2012, 03:08 AM
From Twitter:

The NIN Hotline ‏@ninhotline Now taking fake bets on @destroyangels (http://www.echoingthesound.org/destroyangels) - fall, winter, or 2013?

Rob Sheridan ‏@rob_sheridan
@ninhotline (http://www.echoingthesound.org/ninhotline) Put me down for "soon."

"Soon"...

Vertigo
08-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Huh. We should really have been notified sooner that Rob Sheridan is Aslan. "To me, all times are soon." Lions are scary, I hope Trent is keeping him well fed.

sheepdean
08-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Rob Sheridan is a metaphor for Jesus?

butter_hole
08-16-2012, 07:50 AM
no but he is hairy and he looooooves antelope

gorast
08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I liked the Jesus metaphor idea better. Would that mean Trent is God?

sheepdean
08-16-2012, 03:27 PM
No, Trent's not dead, and if he was, we'd care

somewhat_
08-19-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm assuming there is nothing to the story the guy on the nin.com message board is telling about the album being put up on demonoid temporarily?

Leviathant
08-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Demonoid doesn't exist anymore, and I can't see Trent leaking the album, so I'm going with "No, there is nothing to that story."

somewhat_
08-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Demonoid doesn't exist anymore, and I can't see Trent leaking the album, so I'm going with "No, there is nothing to that story."

Oh, I've been out of the loop on demonoid shutting down. I guess it wouldn't make since for TR to leak the album on a torrent site when he is apparently spending the entire year coming up with a distribution method (this is getting ridiculous - I hope they are coming up with a way for the album to give me oral).

jessamineny
08-19-2012, 07:41 PM
can't. stop. laughing. :D

PhoenixML
08-21-2012, 10:57 AM
It's my birthday and I have no HTDA album in my hands...

witte
08-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Ill ask to wait releasing it till your next birthday...
Would that be fine?

somewhat_
08-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Ill ask to wait releasing it till your next birthday...
Would that be fine?

You might not need to ask.

Harry Seaward
08-22-2012, 07:34 AM
http://i.imgur.com/oEmhY.png

So what's stopping ya motherfucker?!

sheepdean
08-22-2012, 07:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/oEmhY.png

So what's stopping ya motherfucker?!
Hmm. That's kind of interesting, maybe this means the release method is more complex than we thought. I really doubt an ARG, but there's other things that can cause a delay from people other than the musicians.

Unless HTDA got signed of course. Then we can start blaming Interscope again, like the old days!

Harry Seaward
08-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Hmm. That's kind of interesting, maybe this means the release method is more complex than we thought. I really doubt an ARG, but there's other things that can cause a delay from people other than the musicians.

Unless HTDA got signed of course. Then we can start blaming Interscope again, like the old days!

Wouldn't any potential label be touting their new artist if they signed them? Would they be able to keep that type of news under wraps?

sheepdean
08-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Oh I don't think they are under a label, Null is perfectly fine. Maybe the delay is due to some expensive or elaborate web page, idk

jessamineny
08-22-2012, 12:20 PM
This, originally from Random NIN Thoughts, is starting to look more and more likely to me:

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that TR will most likely offer new HTDA as some sort off app through appstore and android market seeing as the interview re: the new CoD had him mention that he was going for something different in terms of release compared to previous releases. Sort of in the vein of Björk's Biophilia albeit a bit more ambitious. Color me falsely excited!

Shnoorum
08-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Maybe due to her frustration she'll be a wonderfull person and leak a song or 2. Incase she ever stumbled across this forum and sometimes reads what goes on here, go on Mariqueen. You know you want to. I'll even be your best friend

AgentofChaos
08-22-2012, 10:50 PM
It's funny that tweet just had me picturing Q having a cute little tantrum, the way my wife likes to do with Trent just sitting there all stoic, busy doing something else. It's Half funny, half an act, dash of annoying, morse if only we were only paying more attention.

"Babe can we release the music now"

"Ummm No, Q"

"Pleaseeee"

"Nope. Come on now. Be patient. You know the plan"

"But I Waaaaaaant to right nowwww"

"You know this is for its own good. Just relax and the time will be here before you know it. Soon enough."

"Aw but soon enough isn't soon enough. This sucks"

"I Love you"

" Love you too" *sulks away like a sad little princess*

K I'll stop now.

jessamineny
08-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Sigh. I dunno. I don't really find this funny. She's the lead singer of the band. Certainly not some "little princess" who asks permission of Daddy. : /

AgentofChaos
08-23-2012, 02:32 AM
Of course she's not. Not really, anyway. That's why it's funny to me. Sometimes women just have tantrums to have tantrums. It *can* be cute. That superimposed image got a rise out of me. But hey, it's cool, be offended, its your right!

sheepdean
08-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Can anyone else smell reddit?

Leviathant
08-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Definitely caught a whiff of misogyny there. AgentofChaos, maybe you don't recognize it in what you just did there, but weird little fantasies like that belie an underlying current of objectification, and people are weird enough about celebrities - I don't feel comfortable with you infantilizing someone who already gets treated with a strange sort of disdain by a what I see as a rather sad segment of the fanbase. I hope by the time you get to this sentence, you're not butthurt and feeling the need to defend your actions. You're being weird, and we're pointing it out, because we're your internet buds. Think it over - and don't be weird, dude. If you really don't understand why that post is weird, follow up in another forum because the ensuing conversation, while enlightening, will have nothing to do with HTDA.

Now -- where were we? Twelve tracks on the album? Fourteen?

sheepdean
08-23-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm thinking 16 tracks, with maybe IYLSE? as a bonus track

fillow
08-23-2012, 09:08 AM
36 untitled instrumentals split into 4 volumes and 2 CDs. I bet no one used such format before.

GibbonBlack
08-23-2012, 10:13 AM
36 untitled instrumentals split into 4 volumes and 2 CDs. I bet no one used such format before.

waaaaaaaaait a minute....

somewhat_
08-23-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm going with 16 tracks. I don't mean to sound bitchy, but it's times like this when I wish TR didn't try to re-invent the wheel with every new release. Of course, when it finally comes out and if/when the plan kicks ass then I won't be bitching about how long it took. As you can probably tell, I'm kinda split about the whole thing.

Shnoorum
08-23-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm going with 16 tracks. I don't mean to sound bitchy, but it's times like this when I wish TR didn't try to re-invent the wheel with every new release. Of course, when it finally comes out and if/when the plan kicks ass then I won't be bitching about how long it took. As you can probably tell, I'm kinda split about the whole thing.

Yeah thats kinda how I feel. I never have enough spare money for the really expensive special editions. In the end I just want the music.... And maybe a shirt. However, it's their album and as long as I get to hear it in the end I don't really mind

somewhat_
08-26-2012, 12:06 PM
The following was tweeted by Rob very early this morning (and supposedly deleted right away):

@rob_sheridan: Excited about the imagery I've been making over the past 6 months. Cool new technique I've been exploring. Wish I could say more. SOON...

Shnoorum
08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
The following was tweeted by Rob very early this morning (and supposedly deleted right away):

@rob_sheridan: Excited about the imagery I've been making over the past 6 months. Cool new technique I've been exploring. Wish I could say more. SOON...

Hope we aren't getting the poor guy in trouble with this. Wonder what this new technique is anyway. Thats now Mariqueen and Rob vocalising their desire to get their work out the door.

butter_hole
08-26-2012, 04:24 PM
so its totally an app

sheepdean
08-26-2012, 04:31 PM
The album will be released only in 3D printer file form, for us to print onto vinyl

eversonpoe
08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
it's actually going to be a Bio-Printer file, like on Eureka.

danebraddy
08-28-2012, 01:32 AM
From Mariqueen's twitter:

"@DestroyAngels's Photo http://instagr.am/p/O2dpWRkKKO/ (http://t.co/uPHVPzM7) "

BenAkenobi
08-29-2012, 07:33 AM
^
“3D-print THAT, b*tches!”

FernandoDante
08-29-2012, 02:38 PM
It's going to come as day 1 DLC for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

And it's going to be on the game disc already, you just have to pay 20 bucks to unlock it.

Or you can pay 100 bucks for the limited special edition that comes with a voucher to stream the album. On your Xbox. As long as you have a Live Gold account, of course.

NIN64
08-29-2012, 04:12 PM
It's going to come as day 1 DLC for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

And it's going to be on the game disc already, you just have to pay 20 bucks to unlock it.

Or you can pay 100 bucks for the limited special edition that comes with a voucher to stream the album. On your Xbox. As long as you have a Live Gold account, of course.

I gotta pay for that damn facepalm button. . .

theimage13
08-30-2012, 12:48 AM
I gotta pay for that damn facepalm button. . .

So you can simultaneously like and facepalm the quoted post? K.

NIN64
08-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Was just a joke...

somewhat_
09-01-2012, 07:30 AM
31 May (https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/208312197854674946) https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/58499973/robo1_normal.jpg Trent Reznor ‏@trent_reznor (https://twitter.com/trent_reznor)
Getting the plan together for @destroyangels (https://twitter.com/destroyangels). You will hear new music later this year. Stay tuned.

Three months down, four to go. I'm guessing if we don't get any specific info or any teasers/promo material this month then this isn't coming out this year.

BenAkenobi
09-01-2012, 08:09 AM
don't forget there is still a possibility that this month is reserved for the fragile reissue

somewhat_
09-01-2012, 01:28 PM
don't forget there is still a possibility that this month is reserved for the fragile reissue

Somehow I don't think that will just be dropped on our heads with no mention or promotion.

Shnoorum
09-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if it is actually coming out this year. The whole "new music coming this year" could depressingly be referring to the Black Ops theme.

otnavuskire
09-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if it is actually coming out this year. The whole "new music coming this year" could depressingly be referring to the Black Ops theme.

Why would he say he's getting the plan together for HTDA in the same post if the new music wasn't referring to them? People on this forum over analyze way too much.

sheepdean
09-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm sure it's due out this year - it may not COME out this year, if there's been issues, but it's due nonetheless

Shnoorum
09-01-2012, 11:10 PM
I just get the feeling that things aren't going as smoothly as planned for them. I thought it was gonna be released at the very most a month after Trent tweeted that the album was finished. I've lost count of how many months ago that was now (4 or 5 I think).

For the record though, I'm not particularly over analyzing at all. It may have been referring to HTDA but wording it in such a vague manner leaves it wide open to speculation.

Okay, re-reading that last bit there, I may be slightly over analyzing... WHATEVER I DONT FUCKING CARE JUST GIVE ME THE GODDAMN ALBUM ALREADY

sheepdean
09-01-2012, 11:30 PM
I think one disheartening thing about this all is that by now, we're sick of waiting. A clever marketing scheme or release system will be totally lost on much of the hardcore fanbase, because we've had one too many "soons".

Vertigo
09-02-2012, 04:57 AM
From what we've been hearing, it sounds like people involved (MQ at least) are sick of the waiting too. I just hope they're making good use of the time to perform any tweaks on the music that occur to them.
The thing with the marketing though, they already have a reasonably captive audience with the NIN hardcore - whatever they're cooking up needs to draw in the uninitiated.

otnavuskire
09-02-2012, 06:08 AM
From what we've been hearing, it sounds like people involved (MQ at least) are sick of the waiting too.

Have we actually been hearing that they are sick of waiting? I haven't seen that anywhere beyond baseless speculation here on the forums.

Shnoorum
09-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Have we actually been hearing that they are sick of waiting? I haven't seen that anywhere beyond baseless speculation here on the forums.

Well Mariqueen tweeted about how impatient she was. Rob Sheridan also apparently tweeted (then quickly deleted) that he wants everyone to see a new technique he's been working on but just left it at another ''soon''.

Honestly, I'm really not interested in any marketing or distribution in the slightest. They could release their music on a fucking potato for all I care, I just want to hear the damned thing. I do understand why they need to take their time with all this jibberish but I just can't help but be impatient about it, this being what feels like the millionth day in a row checking up the usual websites for any activity

PhoenixML
09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Wasn't the purpose of being independent was to release new music on the spot without "waiting 3 months". I mean, the box set of TGWTDT didn't make the music any better. It didn't bring any new experience to fully enjoy properly the music.

Why do we have to wait for a 1) big box set with vynils, hdd with hd music, the bluray, some paintings, a carpet, big black boots, cubase pro edition/protools pro edition to remix, with a signed guitar, 2) a ride in a car with trent reznor (oh wait that was Josh Freeze), or option 3) the cd with no booklet cause they are cool and nobody makes booklet anymore so you should have bought the 3000$ boxset or just the digital version with no pdf you moron.

oh, and a usb key.

Release the music if it's finished. Offer us the big box set the next year it if takes that long. We WILL buy something anyway.

Was that how NIN fans felt before The Fragile was released?

jessamineny
09-02-2012, 11:39 AM
I sincerely doubt they're waiting to release the music just so that they can sell a completely manufactured deluxe version at the same time. That would indicate that they're primarily interested in making money... which we can deduce, at least from TR's past behavior, that it's not a prime motivator whatsoever. If production on a deluxe was the only holdup, they'd have already just released the shit digitally and then sold the deluxe whenever it was ready, even if it would sell fewer copies without the initial release excitement behind it.

And if the possibility of an app release is what's being referred to as a "clever marketing scheme or release system" or "marketing or distribution jibberish" in posts above, I think you might want to reconsider that. Check out what Bjork's Biophilia (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/10/bjork-biophilia-app-album/?pid=5022&viewall=true)offered, and then think about just how cool the shit would be that TR, Rob and the people they'd hire could come up with. In addition to those interactive "games," there were scores, essays, images... endless possibilities. I'm sure if the app is what they're going for, they consider it an integral part of the musical release.

theimage13
09-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I sincerely doubt they're waiting to release the music just so that they can sell a completely manufactured deluxe version at the same time. That would indicate that they're primarily interested in making money.

Personally, I think that would indicate that they're primarily interested in a selling a product that customers aren't going to be fighting to track down months after they've paid for it, as has happened with certain other limited edition releases. It tells me that they want to give the customer what they want right when they pay for it.

jessamineny
09-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Personally, I think that would indicate that they're primarily interested in a selling a product that customers aren't going to be fighting to track down months after they've paid for it, as has happened with certain other limited edition releases. It tells me that they want to give the customer what they want right when they pay for it.

Yeah, I speculated about that months ago. But this late in the game, I just don't think they'd make everyone wait... so that a thousand (?) people who would plunk down the cash for a deluxe would be able to have it immediately.

sheepdean
09-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I think TGWTDT's delay DID teach them some lessons about deluxe releases, but still, I doubt that's the only reason. And if it is an app release in any way, it'll be really annoying, unless they release the code for the app too, so people can develop it onto every platform.

Shnoorum
09-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Looking at Biophillia I admit it does look very nice but I really don't get apps at all. Apps are an Apple thing right? I don't know, I hate them anyway. They came from nowhere and have become something integral to everyone. Never caught on with me at all. If they do release it as an app, I may take the time to find out what the hell an app is and download it to whatever device I own that can support an app. Or more likely I'll just buy the album version.

Harry Seaward
09-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I guess I can go fuck myself because I don't own a smartphone or tablet.

jessamineny
09-02-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't either, Harry. You'll still get the music, right?

theimage13
09-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Looking at Biophillia I admit it does look very nice but I really don't get apps at all. Apps are an Apple thing right?

An app is just an application. It's no different than any program you've ever installed on your computer, except it's built to run on a different operating system (like iOS, what iPhone/iPod/iPad uses) or Android (what a shitload of cell phones and tablets uses). There's nothing to "get".

I guess I can go fuck myself because I don't own a smartphone or tablet.

Own a computer?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-run-android-apps-windows/

I believe it's also possible to run iOS apps (iPhone/iPod/iPad) on a Mac, but it requires having the source code for said app.

Shnoorum
09-03-2012, 06:25 AM
An app is just an application. It's no different than any program you've ever installed on your computer, except it's built to run on a different operating system (like iOS, what iPhone/iPod/iPad uses) or Android (what a shitload of cell phones and tablets uses). There's nothing to "get".

Ah, I don't really bother with any of that. I have a Nokia N8 anyway so I doubt I'd be able to get it since the N8 store is pretty much dead in the water. As stated though I just want to hear the music. Really not worried how, just as long as I can

I hope they do the magneticy disc thingy again. I put my cats paw on the Year Zero disc and it was JUST precious!

The Reason Being
09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
I hope the new album is to the self titled EP what Broken/TDS were to Pretty Hate Machine - A total mindblowing headfuck of awesome.

High hopes.

butter_hole
09-03-2012, 10:26 PM
or it could not be an app

DVYDRNS
09-03-2012, 10:51 PM
how about they just release the record and tour like every other band that makes money. they arent gonna make any money off the music. they make money off the shows. and the merch...

theimage13
09-04-2012, 01:14 AM
how about they just release the record and tour like every other band that makes money.

I would imagine that having two extremely young children doesn't make a "standard" tour a real distinct possibility. That's not to say live shows would be out of the question, but a months-long run of the states just doesn't strike me as feasible when BOTH parents are in the band.

I also have to imagine that money isn't a huge issue. Maybe I'm wrong; I don't know. But Trent strikes me as a pretty business savvy guy, and has probably managed to make sure that he's at least in a financially secure position. Not saying he's likely to be mind-blowingly wealthy, but I would imagine that his latter NIN days (with less gear-destructive live shows) and successful film scores would have been enough to afford him the chance to make/release music without money being a primary concern.

Euphemism
09-04-2012, 03:34 AM
they arent gonna make any money off the music. they make money off the shows. and the merch...

Isn't the point of Trent's departure from Interscope, self-promotion, formation of "Null Co.", and digital distribution of recent material to make money off of the music itself? Why the multiple price tiers and free 5 song previews if you're trying to hype a tour as an unknown band not sell a product? The HTDA Ep, and both soundtracks were distributed primarily in digital formats without a tour to follow them.

butter_hole
09-04-2012, 06:31 PM
i would imagine that having two extremely young children doesn't make a "standard" tour a real distinct possibility.
they get older every day

BRoswell
09-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I think it'd be interesting if they did a one week only engagement at a club in LA. They play new stuff, stuff from the EP, a cover or two, maybe even a few variations on some NIN material. Throw in a couple special guests and you've got quite a deal, all within a comfortable distance from home.

theimage13
09-05-2012, 12:46 AM
I think it'd be interesting if they did a one week only engagement at a club in LA. They play new stuff, stuff from the EP, a cover or two, maybe even a few variations on some NIN material. Throw in a couple special guests and you've got quite a deal, all within a comfortable distance from home a very limited portion of their fanbase.

Mostly a good idea...except for that part at the end that needed a little fixing ;)

witte
09-05-2012, 05:08 AM
I think it'd be interesting if they did a one week only engagement at a club in LA. They play new stuff, stuff from the EP, a cover or two, maybe even a few variations on some NIN material. Throw in a couple special guests and you've got quite a deal, all within a comfortable distance from home.

LA - Chicago - NY
Flexibility for a few european people.
I got a deja vu. Proposed this already 6 months ago

slave2thewage
09-05-2012, 04:12 PM
I am at the point of beyond caring about this by now. TELL US SOMETHING ALREADY, TRENT.

Frozen Beach
09-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I would imagine that having two extremely young children doesn't make a "standard" tour a real distinct possibility.
Don't worry, the kids will be fine. They'll just hire Danny Lohner to babysit

fillow
09-06-2012, 03:20 AM
I wonder if Trent's kids are friends with Josh Freese's

baudolino
09-07-2012, 07:18 AM
maybe a BRONZE app similar to http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tender-metal/id527206281?ls=1&mt=8

FernandoDante
09-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Rob Sheridan is getting married soon. 2013 looks more and more like the case.

jessamineny
09-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Actually, I thought the opposite... that (if we assume he's a key member of the team) an impending marriage would be a looming deadline to have things all wrapped up and ready for release.

And given the fact that both he and Q have tweeted in the past few weeks that they're impatient/excited to unleash the new material on us, that suggests that to me that it's nearing completion.

sheepdean
09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Tamar is maybe doing photos for this release too, based on her 11:11 photo, so I doubt they want to have any work at all to do whilst on honeymoon

Harry Seaward
09-09-2012, 08:26 PM

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Does getting married prevent people from doing their job? People with normal jobs don't just take a six month break because they get married.

carpenoctem
09-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Nah, he and Q have both been vocal about their impatience, and wanting to just go ahead and release the music. It's all done. We're waiting on some unknown release method, but that's it. But congrats, Rob!

Warped_Savant
09-11-2012, 08:29 PM
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Does getting married prevent people from doing their job? People with normal jobs don't just take a six month break because they get married.
You don't think that he'd be distracted and busy planning a wedding? Having a wedding, going on a honeymoon...

Mind you, if it's "SOON" then it might not be for a few years yet...

gorast
09-11-2012, 08:31 PM
You don't think that he'd be distracted and busy planning a wedding? Having a wedding, going on a honeymoon...

Mind you, if it's "SOON" then it might not be for a few years yet...
I think you're forgetting that Rob tweeted his impatience regarding wanting the product to get released, implying that his part in the release has been done for some time.

Then again, I think that tweet was deleted almost immediately, so...

FernandoDante
09-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I think you're forgetting that Rob tweeted his impatience regarding wanting the product to get released, implying that his part in the release has been done for some time.

Then again, I think that tweet was deleted almost immediately, so...
You guys are putting way too much thought into a single tweet. Being impatient doesn't mean shit is coming out in the near future. You're all being a bit too hopeful.

jessamineny
09-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Modified... FD's words used against himself

You're putting way too much thought into a single tweet. Getting married doesn't mean shit isn't coming out in the near future. You're being a bit too pessimistic.

Aaaaand we could say exactly the same thing about you (http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot)

sheepdean
09-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Another vague instagram photo http://instagram.com/p/PfPA_TkKPl/

Shnoorum
09-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Oh boy, I sure do love those vague photos

PhoenixML
09-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Let's face it, we're getting a photo album.

sheepdean
09-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Sigil 3: Holiday Snaps

GoodSoldier333
09-15-2012, 03:33 PM
My prediction. They're going to release music videos for half the songs on the new record.

Fincher will direct them all. Yes.

One can wish.

BenAkenobi
09-16-2012, 01:35 AM
A drowning is still my favourite song of theirs

sore_and_crucified
09-16-2012, 02:07 PM
My prediction. They're going to release music videos for half the songs on the new record.

Fincher will direct them all. Yes.

One can wish.

I was thinking that we might see a full length movie featuring the music, similar to The Space In Between! That would be really cool (directed by Fincher)!

sheepdean
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Just as long as it doesn't go the route of the Broken Movie, and take a decade to come out in .torrent

somewhat_
09-16-2012, 02:32 PM
My new prediction: TR has so much time to over analyze the music that sometime within the next couple of months he decides it all sounds too much like NIN and he scraps all of it. He doesn't tell anyone about this and sometime in the middle of next year HTDA release a new album we all thought took years to make when all they will do is come up with something completely different from NIN in just a few months time.

carpenoctem
09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
What a depressing prediction :(

My prediction: It will come out tomorrow. The deluxe edition will include puppies, kittens, and a Christmas photo of the Reznor clan, personally signed in silver Sharpie "xoxo - TR"

Shnoorum
09-16-2012, 07:11 PM
My prediction: Soon

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Prediction: TR takes the brilliant business business model seen with AAISAD - Gives us information on the new HTDA album, including artwork and track listing, even a couple streaming tracks on youtube, and opens up a purchasing window. He then cuts communication with the world for 3 years straight, then shows up with a "near finished product" and asks if any of his fans would like to help seed, promising a finished physical product in XX more months.

Sorry. I had to. :P But I really hope this album comes this year. If this is something Trent's taking seriously, I WANT him to take his time, because I know it will only sound better. Even if that means making the wait even longer for us.

jessamineny
09-17-2012, 07:22 PM
If it's something he's taking seriously??????? WTF

Conrad Lienert
09-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Because HTDA have taken so long to release anything new, I've had to resort to listening to Lana Del Ray.

Goddamit.

FernandoDante
09-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Maybe Trent was ashamed of having Mariqueen require AutoTune on the record, so he kept postponing it. He was waiting until another respectable artist used AutoTune, so he wouldn't be the first one.

Thanks to Cat Power's "Sun", this all means the album is very close to its release.

Before anyone gives me any shit, I know they said Mariqueen didn't use AutoTune on the EP. I know, ok?

eversonpoe
09-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Maybe Trent was ashamed of having Mariqueen require AutoTune on the record, so he kept postponing it. He was waiting until another respectable artist used AutoTune, so he wouldn't be the first one.

Thanks to Cat Power's "Sun", this all means the album is very close to its release.

Before anyone gives me any shit, I know they said Mariqueen didn't use AutoTune on the EP. I know, ok?

did cat power really use auto-tune on her new album? that's pretty depressing.

peanoot3
09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Only two hours ago (as of now), HTDA uploaded their first EP on Soundcloud... is this an indication that new music will be put on there soon? Suddenly, now that the November release was discovered, they are starting to build up hype. This is just speculation.

http://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels (http://soundcloud.com/howtodestroyangels)

Shnoorum
09-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow good catch there. I'd say thats pretty big news. Things are definately going on now. Maybe we'll actually hear or see something new in the next couple weeks

Shnoorum
09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Sorry about the double post but wasn't it about 2 hours ago that nin.com went down? I know Rob Sheridan debunked that and all but, yeah. I don't know, it's probably just a coincedence

peanoot3
09-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Sorry about the double post but wasn't it about 2 hours ago that nin.com went down? I know Rob Sheridan debunked that and all but, yeah. I don't know, it's probably just a coincedence

Yeah, it was a couple of hours ago. I know he said it was just the servers, but he could also just be trying to burst our excitement and when something does happen, we're like, "Holy shit!" Online retail postings of the release, new Soundcloud account opened, TR: "Yes.", NIN site down... something's going on. Also, many other music artists announce 'big news' on Fridays, so there's a huge possibility they could be going that route. I don't know... this recent stuff is getting me really excited for what is coming.

Shnoorum
09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Yeah, it was a couple of hours ago. I know he said it was just the servers, but he could also just be trying to burst our excitement and when something does happen, we're like, "Holy shit!" Online retail postings of the release, new Soundcloud account opened, TR: "Yes.", NIN site down... something's going on. Also, many other music artists announce 'big news' on Fridays, so there's a huge possibility they could be going that route. I don't know... this recent stuff is getting me really excited for what is coming.

All this movement after months of nothing is just awesome. However it is now almost 5am so I am going to bed. I will be checking my usual sites first thing in the morning. Hopefully there will be something waiting for me. Nighty night

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 03:42 AM
So, shall we break off into teams? Some of us pound F5 on destroyangels.com, some of us on nin.com, some of us on topspin....

GoodSoldier333
09-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Well, the fact that we might finally get some news within the new three days?? is exciting. News might mean actual LISTEN to one track. It's something. If its anything..

sheepdean
09-21-2012, 12:27 PM
So, who wants a promo photo? http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/31991396659/new-promotional-image-for-how-to-destroy-angels

FernandoDante
09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
did cat power really use auto-tune on her new album? that's pretty depressing.
She used it, uh, "tastefully".

sweeterthan
09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
So, who wants a promo photo? http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/31991396659/new-promotional-image-for-how-to-destroy-angels
oh no. they watched the ring and they're all gonna die in 7 days.

Deadpool
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM

How do you do it, man? Your stalker powers always impress!

Big Fat Matt
09-21-2012, 04:35 PM
i LOVE their new art direction. i have a design boner for rob sheridan.

FernandoDante
09-23-2012, 12:05 PM
If Rob Sheridan were to play an instrument, what would it be?

Reminds me of this:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/217528894_z849Y-L-2.jpg

witte
09-24-2012, 12:01 PM
http://instagram.com/p/P9y9JTEKCz/

witte
09-24-2012, 12:03 PM
I thought the album was finished...
Or, extra recordings?

Santos L Halper
09-24-2012, 12:07 PM
http://instagram.com/p/P9y9JTEKCz/

Let the teasing begin.

opal
09-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Really diggin' this image:

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/2634886832/09392cfd37dc961e9ae09a6f0c798ea5.png

Looks like the title to a 80s/90s action flick. (Robocop?)
The VHS-kinda-looking image effect only adds more to it.

Leviathant
09-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Don't forget the variation that's up on Soundcloud:

http://i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000023014778-f69ljp-crop.jpg

henryeatscereal
09-24-2012, 06:06 PM

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/2634886832/09392cfd37dc961e9ae09a6f0c798ea5.png

I already posted this in the "Random Stupidity" thread, but the new logo reminded me this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI

FernandoDante
09-24-2012, 07:09 PM

I'm almost getting tired of this type of art. It's been 5 years since year zero.

ALMOST. I still kinda dig it, but it'll get old.

fillow
09-25-2012, 02:46 AM
What if... the new HTDA... is Year Zero 2??

FernandoDante
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
What if... the new HTDA... is Year Zero 2??
You know, I've seen more people suggesting that. Since it's not an LP yet, the title "An Omen" certainly fits.

But this is crazy talk, HTDA's LP is not YZ2.

Frozen Beach
09-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't think it's a continuation of Year Zero obviously, but I think it'd be pretty cool if Trent set this E.P. in the world of Year Zero: As in making HTDA exist in the Year Zero universe as a band, that way they could actually supply music to the Year Zero television series without feeling out of place. I know, it's fanwank material.

BenAkenobi
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
If it was titled Opal instead of Omen, on the other hand...

WorzelG
09-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Please stop - I don't want to get my hopes up!

Horican
09-25-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't think it's a continuation of Year Zero obviously, but I think it'd be pretty cool if Trent set this E.P. in the world of Year Zero: As in making HTDA exist in the Year Zero universe as a band, that way they could actually supply music to the Year Zero television series without feeling out of place. I know, it's fanwank material.
please no.

(Ha. this reminds me of the time fans were talking about niggy tardust maybe being in the world of YZ. and of the time fans were talking about The Slip maybe being in the world of YZ.)

Frozen Beach
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM
please no.

(Ha. this reminds me of the time fans were talking about niggy tardust maybe being in the world of YZ. and of the time fans were talking about The Slip maybe being in the world of YZ.)
Niggy was sort of confusing because either Saul or Trent (I don't remember) said it was inspired by the Year Zero universe, and Trent didn't help much by throwing the ARG Flag in the artwork for The Slip. I think Trent is inspired by his own work too much, which is why things seem to blend together sometimes.

The Reason Being
09-26-2012, 05:23 AM
I always wanted TR to cover Massive Attack's "Dissolved Girl", and now there's just no excuse.

ninperu
10-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Hi, i need some help, about the Wired Magazine of June 2010 (Ipad Edition)... i want to know if the physical magazine have any picture of HTDA and also i want to know if someone have all the images of HTDA on high resolution or pdf of the ipad edition... Thanx.

--> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nine-Inch-Nails-Per%C3%BA/122876062246

jrdsctt
10-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Look like they are recording some vox: http://blog.destroyangels.com/post/32946665994/taken-with

WorzelG
10-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I hope at some point, there will be interviews with the whole band, not just Trent.

sheepdean
10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
The site's been updated, now there's the album art (hidden link in the glitch), a link to youtube and a stream of the new single. http://destroyangels.com/

Also, howtodestroyangels.com is now a redirect to destroyangels.com, and the metadata is all_ full_ of_ underscores_

Maul
10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm kinda pumped for this one and the new Deftones, Koi No Yokan. Both albums shouldn't dissapoint.

bgalbraith
10-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Also, howtodestroyangels.com is now a redirect to destroyangels.com, and the metadata is all_ full_ of_ underscores_

howto.destroyangels.com also works, and also redirects to destroyangels.com

Beta
10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
my mate just got an email from sonymusic/columbia records regarding our (german) fanblog www.howtodestroyangels.de (http://www.howtodestroyangels.de)
they dont want us to take down the site, but they have to give their label-colleagues some info about our page and stuff, because our site is "marketed" (we have some amazon-special links to get some euros to pay the hosting..) and therefore make money out of the band's name.. i wonder where this will lead to...

trent?? do you think thats cool? :-)

Leviathant
10-10-2012, 12:16 PM
they dont want us to take down the site, but they have to give their label-colleagues some info about our page and stuff, because our site is "marketed" (we have some amazon-special links to get some euros to pay the hosting..) and therefore make money out of the band's name.. i wonder where this will lead to...

You are fully entitled to use affiliate links, and you should receive no pressure from the record label there. You are actively promoting the band. You're making money out of the band's name - but the money you'll be making is from affiliate links that drive sales of their product, and comes not out of the label's bottom line, only the retailer's bottom line, and if they were adversely affected by this, they would not use an affiliate program.

Was the sony/columbia rep from the EU, or the US?

Beta
10-10-2012, 01:18 PM
You are fully entitled to use affiliate links, and you should receive no pressure from the record label there. You are actively promoting the band. You're making money out of the band's name - but the money you'll be making is from affiliate links that drive sales of their product, and comes not out of the label's bottom line, only the retailer's bottom line, and if they were adversely affected by this, they would not use an affiliate program.

Was the sony/columbia rep from the EU, or the US?

thx for the info.

the rep was from germany. but she said that they are in contact with the us staff..

paul_guyet
10-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Okay...not working...

On last.fm enter How+to+destroy+angels_ and not How+To+Destroy+Angels

Full tracklist and song lengths.

Again, smells like bullshit.

sheepdean
10-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Rob just posted: http://robsheridan.tumblr.com/post/33802026608/in-the-studio-with-how-to-destroy-angels

Also, as LP is re-confirmed and we're getting pics from studio, shall we resurrect the LP thread?

FernandoDante
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Rob just posted: http://robsheridan.tumblr.com/post/33802026608/in-the-studio-with-how-to-destroy-angels

Also, as LP is re-confirmed and we're getting pics from studio, shall we resurrect the LP thread?
I assumed they'd be done recording by now. If mixing for the LP was done in March... what the hell.

sheepdean
10-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe they're recording a song entitled "soon"

jessamineny
10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
I assumed they'd be done recording by now. If mixing for the LP was done in March... what the hell.

Why would they stop writing music, just because an album has been finished? Would an author sit around doing nothing after turning in a novel to her publisher? Purposely wait to start writing until her fans could finally buy the book? : /

It's their job. They work. You know?

FernandoDante
10-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Why would they stop writing music, just because an album has been finished? Would an author sit around doing nothing after turning in a novel to her publisher? Purposely wait to start writing until her fans could finally buy the book? : /

It's their job. They work. You know?
I don't think they're recording for something outside the LP. I think the LP isn't done yet.

I mean, recording for a new release while they still have two coming out? What are they, Green Day?

sheepdean
10-17-2012, 07:57 PM
For all we know, the LP is part one - they may be recording part 2. Or maybe they just wrote a good song and wanted it down?

jessamineny
10-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't think they're recording for something outside the LP. I think the LP isn't done yet.

I mean, recording for a new release while they still have two coming out? What are they, Green Day?

He said the LP was 98% done. What makes you believe otherwise?

I mean, what are you? Kreskin?

witte
10-18-2012, 06:04 AM
All wrong.
After reading this shit on ETS, they're doing rehearsals to get the singing synchronous.

Deadpool
10-18-2012, 05:30 PM
So, now that we have our first official remix in the form of Dave Sitek's "Keep it together", who are some of your dream remixers for Destroy Angels?

Here are some of mine...

-Adam Freeland
-BT
-Chromeo (I did say dream remixers)
-Gui Boratto
-Johnny Jewel / Symmetry
-M83 and/or Big Black Delta
-Rex the Dog
-Trentemoller
-Twin Shadow
-UNKLE / Rich File
-White Sea
-Wild Beasts
-SONOIO / Blindoldalessandro

OK, that's plenty. With the exception of Alessandro, I don't think any of the other choices have ever been involved in a NIN remix.

sheepdean
10-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Man, if Dre remixes HTDA as a favour to Trent for the Beats stuff, I will break down and cry

r_z
10-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Always wanted Alec Empire to remix some stuff of Trent's... also A Place To Bury Strangers, El-P, Four Tet, Death Grips, James Murphy, Aesop Rock or/and Shabazz Palaces, please.

BRoswell
10-18-2012, 07:13 PM
El-P

He did a remix of Only.

James Murphy

There was a DFA remix of The Hand That Feeds, but I have no idea if he was involved with that or not.

gorast
10-18-2012, 07:14 PM
He did a remix of Only.

There was a DFA remix of The Hand That Feeds, but I have no idea if he was involved with that or not.

Did you forget that this is HTDA discussion, not NIN?

BRoswell
10-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Did you forget that this is HTDA discussion, not NIN?

Always wanted Alec Empire to remix some stuff of Trent's... also A Place To Bury Strangers, El-P, Four Tet, Death Grips, James Murphy, Aesop Rock or/and Shabazz Palaces, please.

Notice that they said "some stuff of Trent's", not "How To Destroy Angels". I also don't think I'm out of line for bringing up those remixes in here. When 3/4ths of the band is made up of people who are involved with Nine Inch Nails, there's going to be some bleedthrough. (no pun intended)

r_z
10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Regarding Murphy's Involvement in said Remix: I think it's pretty obvious he's been involved since he's one half of The DFA. Also:

"I'm really happy with the [Nine Inch Nails] remix we just did. It's one of my favorite things we've done. I have a lot of fun making remixes, and I like the way we did this. We did all these things separately at the same time, making dubs then editing them together. It gave it a different feel. More like disco edits, which I really like. It doesn't feel like other people's remixes."

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/6036-jukebox-james-murphy/

gorast
10-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Notice that they said "some stuff of Trent's", not "How To Destroy Angels". I also don't think I'm out of line for bringing up those remixes in here. When 3/4ths of the band is made up of people who are involved with Nine Inch Nails, there's going to be some bleedthrough. (no pun intended)
That's fair. I was looking at someone else's post when I decided to reply to you (Deadpool had specifically mentioned HTDA and I thought you were replying to them, not r_z), my mistake. Didn't mean to jump down your throat on that one.

Am I the only one here who doesn't care about remixes?

Deadpool
10-18-2012, 09:55 PM

An Alec Empire remix is long overdue. Good call. Wouldn't mind seeing something from A Place To Bury Strangers, either.

Four Tet is also a cool suggestion: I think an uplifting extended mix from him could be nice. Of course we all know the greatness El-P is capable of, so enlisting him again certainly wouldn't be the worst idea.

Final Destiny, I understand your ambivalence toward remixes - most of the time (and this goes for every artist) they're forgettable - but once in a while, some really special (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULBwEcXooSQ) ones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Jgc4T66rg) pop up. All the people I listed have made special ones if you ask me. I don't think I'm alone when I say my favorites often include brand new vocals: White Sea does this on practically every remix she does with amazing results. M83 ('Shadows' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bnF4OklRns)/Midnight Juggernauts, 'Suffer Well'/Depeche Mode, 'Fall'/Daft Punk), Wild Beasts ('You're Early' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HerKHsOxTkw)/2:54), and Chromeo ('What You Need' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgCCmTyAoFw)/Tiga) have done this, too, and they truly make them their own in the best way.

I'm also throwing SebastiAn into the pot. I'm a big fan of both his solo + remix work (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQH0acDLmvk), and I think Trent is, too (I remember "Ross Ross Ross" being on one of his Spotify 'Driving' mixes).

thefragile_jake
10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
It's kind of hard to hear Fur Lined's chorus without hearing Trent's voice. I kind of chuckle every time I hear it.

sheepdean
11-03-2012, 01:58 AM
So, am I missing any?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcwgnysJzr1qbn738o1_1280.jpg

ninperu
11-07-2012, 02:12 PM
--> Join Us: http://www.facebook.com/destroyangelsperu

The Reason Being
11-08-2012, 09:44 PM
The amount of times i've been on my iphone and typed "How To Destroy Angela" is ridiculous. Poor Angela.

gorast
11-08-2012, 10:00 PM
My friend just texted me this

"If she's Mariqueen, does that make Trent the Mariking?"

I'm not sure how to respond.

Leviathant
11-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Remember back when The Fragile was being recorded, and Trent Reznor talked about Tom Waits in a few interviews? I think that seed's finally borne musical fruit.

Frozen Beach
11-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Remember back when The Fragile was being recorded, and Trent Reznor talked about Tom Waits in a few interviews? I think that seed's finally borne musical fruit.
What? Do you happen to have links to those interviews. I've never seen them.

Leviathant
11-08-2012, 11:36 PM
What? Do you happen to have links to those interviews. I've never seen them.

Do I happen to have links to those interviews? I've got an advanced interview search engine (http://www.theninhotline.net/news/archives/search.php)! It gives me links.

"Imagine Tom Waits on a bayou filtered through a funk blender and slowed down." (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=924)

The process entailed a posted list of code words and desirable influences: Tom Waits, Atari Teenage Riot, Dr. Dre, Daft Punk. Reznor cyber-crunched ukuleles, cellos, violins, pianos, guitars, drum machines and vocals into swelling symphonies and waves of inscrutable noise. (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=783)

sheepdean
11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
I'd like to just add that I'll eat my words: a few weeks back, I said something like I didn't want HTDA to release any instrumentals, because we were saturated with such things. But TSORPM (acronyms baby) is really good, and a departure from the standard sound I'd come to expect. Q's whispered vox really add to it too, without being so over the top to force it into "song" status.

Frozen Beach
11-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Do I happen to have links to those interviews? I've got an advanced interview search engine (http://www.theninhotline.net/news/archives/search.php)! It gives me links.

"Imagine Tom Waits on a bayou filtered through a funk blender and slowed down." (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=924)

The process entailed a posted list of code words and desirable influences: Tom Waits, Atari Teenage Riot, Dr. Dre, Daft Punk. Reznor cyber-crunched ukuleles, cellos, violins, pianos, guitars, drum machines and vocals into swelling symphonies and waves of inscrutable noise. (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=783)
Hah. Sorry, I forgot about TNH. I tried google, but it was worthless trying. Thanks though!

r_z
11-09-2012, 03:43 AM

I think it showed on The Fragile already. With all the percussion stuff going on...

wizfan
11-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Has anyone noticed that after Trent and co. went independent back in 2007, there had been no leaks of any NIN/HTDA/TR-AR material? Yet, once they signed to Columbia, An Omen leaked.

BenAkenobi
11-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Immigrant song did leak, iirc

sheepdean
11-11-2012, 04:19 AM
I wasn't aware An Omen had leaked prior to it being on Hype Machine?

gorast
11-11-2012, 04:39 AM
I wasn't aware An Omen had leaked prior to it being on Hype Machine?
I think it was just the reference to the vinyl being sold a week early. There was the potential for a leak there.

sheepdean
11-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Eh, The Slip was in stores before physical release day too - if you want physical products to go on sale the same day as digital, it's nigh on impossible to prevent a leak, no matter how unsigned you are.

wizfan
11-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Back to the remix discussion, I'd like Belong to remix HTDA. A nice, drony, dreamy thing. Also, Foetus. Yes, he was involved on Fixed, but I want to hear his interpretations here, too. I agree that Alec Empire, Alessandro and Big Black Delta should do some stuff, as well as:

Simian Mobile Disco (Trent loves them, BTW)
Raymond Watts of Pig
Lustmord
Tobacco (also a Trent favorite)
Massive Attack (yeah, why not?)
Bassnectar
Steven Wilson
Dälek
Modeselektor and/or Apparat
Mostly every band who has toured with NIN, especially HEALTH, Crystal Castles and Does It Offend You, Yeah?

EDIT: Oooh, and Giles Corey. His ultra-creepy music would be great with Q's vox.

imail724
11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
So, am I missing any?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcwgnysJzr1qbn738o1_1280.jpg
is there a difference between the soundtrack and film versions of IYLSE?

sheepdean
11-11-2012, 02:02 PM
The soundtrack version is [better] quieter, more reverb, almost no instruments until the chorus kicks in and generally more toned down - better for an end credits and better as a track, to me. It's a straight rip of the end credits' audio btw, not from somewhere special.

butter_hole
11-11-2012, 02:52 PM
My friend just texted me this

"If she's Mariqueen, does that make Trent the Mariking?"

I'm not sure how to respond.

"quit clownin me nigga"

talkingnothing
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
The soundtrack version is [better] quieter, more reverb, almost no instruments until the chorus kicks in and generally more toned down - better for an end credits and better as a track, to me. It's a straight rip of the end credits' audio btw, not from somewhere special.
Does this exist somewhere? I don't have the technology to rip from the bluray myself.

Warped_Savant
11-12-2012, 07:16 PM
It does somewhere... The link that I had is dead now. Maybe someone else has a different place where it lives.

BenAkenobi
11-13-2012, 01:48 AM
i totally forgot that i have a GDT dvd, still need to watch this sucker. knowing all the plot it'll be easier to follow the music i guess. maybe not. might as well rip that song from credits

sheepdean
11-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Trizzle Rizzle is apparently doing an AMA on reddit later today, via HTDA's twitter so I assume about the band

First person to ask about Tapeworm wins

bgalbraith
11-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Trizzle Rizzle is apparently doing an AMA on reddit later today, via HTDA's twitter so I assume about the band

First person to ask about Tapeworm wins

As of this moment there are 2 tapeworm questions, but it looks like toymachinesh wins the prize.

WorzelG
11-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Somebody asked if HTDA will do shows in Europe - so I hope that one gets answered

Quite enjoyed that somebody asked who in music would he punch in the face and why!

dominik
11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Did he just say that NIN will tour in 2013

sheepdean
11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
No, he hinted that the LITS DVD is coming in 2013.

So, expect it for xmas 2014 guys!

dominik
11-13-2012, 01:48 PM

pretty sure that's not it, since LITS is already done fan-based.

gorast
11-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Doesn't mean he can't make one himself.

I'm disappointed about the delays with the YZ TV series but not entirely surprised either. But neither of these comments has anything to do with HTDA. So...

I'm glad someone asked about multitracks, it was bothersome when only two tracks from EP1 were released.

jessamineny
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM

He's a cocktease, but not that much of a cocktease.

(And I know you meant Wave Goodbye)

sheepdean
11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdfzyk1JD91qbn738o1_1280.jpg
best answer

somewhat_
11-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Did he just say that NIN will tour in 2013

Yes he did!

imail724
11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I wish he would have answered about what the hell sigil means