PDA

View Full Version : Random HTDA thoughts

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

heavenly_bearded
05-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Watching the HTDA twitter and merchstore like a fucking hawk! Can't wait for them to release the left over liths. I have 4 of 6 - 3 being signed. I hope they might release a select few signed prints as well? I know that all sold out at the shows right away, but maybe they will do a few more?

Insert picture of Sonic tapping foot...

Trains
05-02-2013, 11:02 AM
It suddenly occurred to me that Speaking in tongues is very similar to A Violet Fluid.
Just saying.. :D

Man, that was exactly my reaction when I first heard it! It's almost got the same weird drum arrangement to it; it's so similar I wondered if Trent had done it on purpose as a kind of easter egg for the fans, he seems to have a soft spot for referencing his own work.

r_z
05-02-2013, 02:11 PM
No, it's a reference (as most likely was Karn's) to this etching (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sleep_of_Reason_Produces_Monsters)

I think you're right. I also think it's a rather unfortunate choice for a song title. The etching is a dangerous masterpiece, true art. To give a popsong of yours that same name seems a bit exaggerating and pompous, no? On the other hand 'though... reserve has never been strong in this one. So it's in line, I guess. ;)

BRoswell
05-02-2013, 04:18 PM
I think it's rather pompous to use terms like "dangerous masterpiece" and "true art", but hey, what do I know?

r_z
05-03-2013, 06:25 AM
nothing about Goya, obviously.

BRoswell
05-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I don't, but using terms like "true art" is just a way to take the piss. It's snobbish.

And you know what? When I hear the song, I see the picture. Would that have happened had the band not labeled the song as such? They obviously wanted to tie it to an image, and they were successful in that regard. Whether or not one is better than the other is irrelevant.

eversonpoe
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Whether or not one is better than the other is irrelevant.

exactly! just because someone chooses to reference something in their own work doesn't mean it has to be on par with the reference (or vice versa). example: the name How To Destroy Angels came from the name of Coil's first official release, which most coil fans (myself included) don't even really like. however, it's an awesome name, and i think it fits the band to a T.

shagg_187
05-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Alessandro should be a permanent member of the band. That remix is fucking amazing!

Scarlet Siren
07-09-2013, 09:41 AM
HTDA @ iTunes Festival. I'd love to see this happen, I'll be there if it does.

elevenism
07-21-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm finally getting a copy of the Coachella show from a ETS user. I would have just downloaded it, but my fucking disk drive is broken.
Thank God for the NIN/HTDA community!
I can't WAIT to rock this shit on a big flatscreen tv!!

howdidislipinto
08-23-2013, 06:37 PM
I hope when HTDA come back, Ally is a full-time part of the collective.

gorast
08-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Every time I listen to the first EP, it gives me a really warm fuzzy feeling, because that was actually the first Trent-related thing that was released after I started lurking around the original ETS, so I got to witness everyone's reactions to it as new info was coming out.

The main thing I remember is a lot of shitting on Mariqueen and the always-lovely "NIN outtake" comments. Good to know absolutely nothing's changed around these parts.

thefragile_jake
08-31-2013, 11:46 PM
I think the problem I've had with How to Destroy Angels since the beginning is that it's Trent working in a "collaborative" setting with people who already understand his work and where his head could be at musically so it doesn't really test Trent outside of a comfort zone outside of saying "hey, we're all in this together....we all have final say here." I REALLY love Trent and Atticus's work together but I think if Trent was creating music with individuals with those who bring something ENTIRELY new and unique to the table instead of the electronic production we've come to know and love...I'd be a little bit more understanding of HTDA's need to exist.

I've been extremely critical of HTDA since the beginning, I just wasn't a fan of anything they've released and while Welcome Oblivion has given me a tad more enjoyment since it was released earlier this year...I still think it could benefit from getting a new sense of musical overhaul. What that overhaul and direction change is....I have no idea, but I'm sure they could find it down the road.

sheepdean
09-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I think the problem I've had with How to Destroy Angels since the beginning is that it's Trent working in a "collaborative" setting with people who already understand his work and where his head could be at musically so it doesn't really test Trent outside of a comfort zone outside of saying "hey, we're all in this together....we all have final say here." I REALLY love Trent and Atticus's work together but I think if Trent was creating music with individuals with those who bring something ENTIRELY new and unique to the table instead of the electronic production we've come to know and love...I'd be a little bit more understanding of HTDA's need to exist.
As long as you're viewing it as "Trent's music" and "Trent's band", you'll always be looking at it wrong, to me

Khrz
09-02-2013, 03:11 AM
As long as you're viewing it as "Trent's music" and "Trent's band", you'll always be looking at it wrong, to me

Indeed. From what I gathered of Mariqueen's musical interests and works, her influence is all over that record ; Problem is, we're in general way more familiar with Trent's sensibility, so we only recognize what's familiar, and discard what's new and different.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-02-2013, 08:21 PM
"How Long" is fucking beautiful.

butter_hole
09-02-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm really curious as to where this band is going to go now that NIN is back.

gorast
09-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Well, I think it could possibly be a situation where Trent alternates between the two. Like, right now he's doing NIN, and then maybe towards the end of 2014 he shifts over to HTDA for a while, and then goes back to NIN, to keep himself from getting burnt out on either project.

I'm more interested in what Mariqueen will do outside of HTDA, really. I know she and the kids are on tour with Trent right now, but maybe they'll take a break from that for a while and she'll work on something else? I don't know. I hope she does, though, because I really enjoy her as a musician.

sheepdean
09-02-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm more interested in what Mariqueen will do outside of HTDA, really. I know she and the kids are on tour with Trent right now, but maybe they'll take a break from that for a while and she'll work on something else? I don't know. I hope she does, though, because I really enjoy her as a musician.
I'd like to see Sigil 5 be a Trent-lite album, the other 3 crafting a sound with less TR and so less "omg this sounds like TDS" claims

elevenism
09-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I'd like to see Sigil 5 be a Trent-lite album, the other 3 crafting a sound with less TR and so less "omg this sounds like TDS" claims

IDK...the EPs sounded very Nailsy to me. Welcome Oblivion, on the other hand, was a bit of a departure.
But that's just me.

gorast
09-07-2013, 10:27 AM
I think maybe, at most, the first EP had moments where it did feel quite similar to NIN. But when two-thirds of the band (and the people responsible for the music in the band) had been working on the same project together for nearly a decade before, I think some similarity is acceptable. I mean, 2010 was the first time since the Quake soundtrack where he composed for a non-NIN project, right? (Excluding the Doom soundtrack.)

If I'm talking out of my ass again with that date, then forgive me. Just a bit of perspective.

katara
09-08-2013, 05:07 AM
I think maybe, at most, the first EP had moments where it did feel quite similar to NIN. But when two-thirds of the band (and the people responsible for the music in the band) had been working on the same project together for nearly a decade before, I think some similarity is acceptable. I mean, 2010 was the first time since the Quake soundtrack where he composed for a non-NIN project, right? (Excluding the Doom soundtrack.)

If I'm talking out of my ass again with that date, then forgive me. Just a bit of perspective.
If you want to get into the nitty gritty, I guess there was Videodrones; Questions and Driver Down on the Lost Highway soundtrack. And Marilyn Manson. :)

ericy210
09-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Would you still be into HTDA if trent and allesandro didn't tour with them?

gorast
09-12-2013, 11:29 PM

I sure would. Q and Atticus as a musical duo? I'd love to hear it.

simonn
09-13-2013, 02:08 AM
https://twitter.com/mariqueen/status/378331495527481344

"we're very sorry to announce that due to unforeseen production conflicts @destroyangels (https://twitter.com/destroyangels) will be unable to perform at voodoo & mountain oasis

our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience, we tried everything to make it work. we will be back". (this is in a follow up tweet from Q)

This is rather unfortunate for those attending. Would be interested to know what the circumstances were....

sheepdean
09-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Mariqueen's vocals and Atticus' sheer awesomeness is enough to draw me. Alessandro is really not a major reason for me to go at all tbh, he's good but he feels more like a session musician than a part of the band live.

But yeah, I actually WANT some Trent-light stuff on the next album, let the other 2/3 shine through without detractors claiming it sounds like Down In It. Plus, Atticus is awesome.

NIN64
09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
https://twitter.com/mariqueen/status/378331495527481344

"we're very sorry to announce that due to unforeseen production conflicts @destroyangels (https://twitter.com/destroyangels) will be unable to perform at voodoo & mountain oasis

our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience, we tried everything to make it work. we will be back". (this is in a follow up tweet from Q)

Fuck me. I was really looking forward to seeing them in Asheville. If they hadn't been in the bill when the music summit was first announced I wouldn't have bought a $150 weekend pass...

Moebius
09-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Fuck me. I was really looking forward to seeing them in Asheville. If they hadn't been in the bill when the music summit was first announced I wouldn't have bought a $150 weekend pass...

I would let them know that right away, you might be able to get a refund. Even if not, you can probably find a taker for that ticket since it's below the current price.

PeedroPaula54
09-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Although I wasn't going to attend, I'm very disappointed that HTDA won't be playing the festivals. I was really hoping their sets would be streamed. I'm not at all surprised considering the NIN tour, but I can't help but wonder how long we'll have to wait to hear from them again.

sheepdean
09-15-2013, 07:12 AM
My money is on at least a four year wait.

TR will tour the shit out of NIN for the next year, then probably take the better part of a year to decompress. Maybe a film score if there are offers; shouldn't the sequel to TGWTDT be ready in a few years? Then maybe new HTDA, if he doesn't decide to keep rolling with another NIN album.

The unfortunate thing is they could probably drop HTDA altogether and nobody outside of us hardcore fans who follow his every move would care much.
That assumes Trent is the driving force though - another album could drop sooner than that if he's less involved, and even if TRAR do another score (though Atticus is doing a couple solo atm), it's not like Mariqueen (and maybe Ally) can't write music by themselves.

sheepdean
09-16-2013, 08:35 PM
If they're looking for number ones, sure, but then why not drop Trent for Justin Timberlake? At this point, the ball is rolling and they have an audience, I think most people who have bought an album by them by now would buy the next without checking the lineup.

sick among the pure
09-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Highly doubt that's going to happen without Trent, but that's just my opinion. Really, who would care if it was Mariqueen and Atticus, but no TR? Curious NIN fans, yes, but beyond that...?

The unfortunate truth is, "mainstream" won't care about HTDA without Trent. I mean, look at the articles about HTDA, making sure to mention "Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor... and the guy he did soundtracks with, and his wife..."
No matter how much Trent tried to stand back, how much he emphasized Q and the others, most media outlets only cared that he was in HTDA. If he isn't a part of the next album/tour, even being signed to a major label won't be enough to make non-fans care.

jmtd
09-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Okay, but who outside of the NIN-faithful actually bought the HDTA stuff? It's not as though it made waves for introducing a whole new generation of fans to NIN who were oblivious to the fact.

As much as I enjoy HDTA's music, I couldn't help but feel like Trent's announcement virtually on the day of WO's release that NIN were back was a veiled way of saying "HDTA isn't working out the way I'd hoped, and I'm regressing back to my bread and butter". That's just my perspective though. It just seems an odd marketing move, because announcing that NIN was back in it for the long haul completely overshadowed whatever momentum HDTA had mustered.

I think the timing was to maximise exposure to Htda, actually. A NIN return gets 100x the column inches that Htda would, and there's a chance each of those articles will mention the Htda release as an aside.

wizfan
09-17-2013, 04:16 AM
I remember reading a Rob Sheridan response to a similar comment in a Reddit AMA (can't find the text) that stated that they originally did NOT intend NIN's comeback to coincide with WO's release, but they were forced to do so.

Khrz
09-17-2013, 04:47 AM
The unfortunate truth is, "mainstream" won't care about HTDA without Trent.

No way to tell what would have happened, hadn't Reznor been involved in any way. It put HTDA in the spotlight, sure, but also raised the expectations quite a bit, and harmed HTDA's identity by making the comparisons to NIN unavoidable. Maybe the mainstream (whatever that means) would have noticed that new band and its first releases, or it could very well had been totally ignored.
Trent Reznor's presence, anyway, has curved that project's trajectory, for better or worse.
And all that talk about "only the nin fans are interested" is a bit irritating. I'm pretty sure NIN fans check out other bands, once every few decades...
HTDA may have been on our radar anyway, with or without Reznor...

sheepdean
09-17-2013, 05:23 AM
I think if Atticus and Rob had been involved in another project, NIN fans would've checked it out regardless~

eversonpoe
09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
not that it's typical, but my friend who is a long time NIN fan likes everything HTDA has done way better than anything NIN has done in the last ten years. she and i saw HTDA together and she was just silently mesmerized the whole time (she usually talks my ear off at shows).

Scarlet Siren
09-18-2013, 12:54 AM
I've probably posted this before, but every time I listen to The Believers I feel the need to say it (again):

The intro is probably my favourite intros ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorast
09-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Fur-Lined is my absolute favorite track from the first EP.

nin5in
10-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Fur-Lined is my absolute favorite track from the first EP.

Fur-Lined has become one of my favorites from the first EP. When that EP first came out, my favorite was BBB, and I could not stand Fur-lined. As of now, my absolutely favorite track on the EP is The Believers.

henryeatscereal
10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
No love for BBB?

The synths are brutal in that one...

I consider it a sequel to (NIN's) "Pilgrimage"

BRoswell
12-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm really surprised "Speaking In Tongues" wasn't carried over to Welcome Oblivion. It's such a great, moody track.

sheepdean
12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Rob Sheridan: pricktease champion 2013 https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/414952645418172416

BRoswell
12-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Rob Sheridan: pricktease champion 2013 https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/414952645418172416

Curse you, Sheridan!

SarahConnor
12-23-2013, 12:31 PM
'Welcome Oblivion' has grown on me over time. Such a densely layered record.
I think 'How Long' is the triumphant song that 'We're In This Together' could have been.
And, for shits & giggles, I dreamt last night I was in LA at an rock club where nin were opening with 'The Fragile.' Likely been spending too much time on this site and eBay looking for that damn 'flower' tee shirt...

Ryan
12-27-2013, 09:44 PM
I think 'How Long' is the triumphant song that 'We're In This Together' could have been.

Could have been?

SarahConnor
12-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Yeah, Reznor said that they worked on WITT alot, too make it sound 'less triumphant.' He sang the chorus until his voice was raw and tattered. And they covered the chorus in a bunch of noise and distortion.

henryeatscereal
12-28-2013, 07:50 AM
I like "Welcome to Oblivion" so much better than "Hesitation Marks"

Ryan
12-30-2013, 01:38 AM
Yeah, Reznor said that they worked on WITT alot, too make it sound 'less triumphant.' He sang the chorus until his voice was raw and tattered. And they covered the chorus in a bunch of noise and distortion.

oh I get ya.

butter_hole
12-31-2013, 02:39 AM
tamar. brett. ally counts, doesn't he?

sheepdean
12-31-2013, 07:18 AM
tamar. brett. ally counts, doesn't he?
"not one of us" could imply not one of the usual suspects though?

butter_hole
01-01-2014, 06:44 PM
I took it to mean one of us as in the band. but who knows. maybe laz or Sisyphus or whatever their second kid is called.

FULLMETAL
01-01-2014, 09:04 PM
I think it's a composite of all four of the band as one being.

screwdriver
01-02-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm really surprised "Speaking In Tongues" wasn't carried over to Welcome Oblivion. It's such a great, moody track.

I consider that the great missed opportunity of Welcome Oblivion... replace Hallowed Ground with it, mix up the order to get the sequencing right, and that album would've been damn near perfectly executed.

Ryan
01-04-2014, 06:27 AM
I just read the lyrics to "Speaking In Tongues" for the first time... some interesting NIN lyric parallels -

I am made of magic and wires
And I am everything at the end of it all
I am moving from the mouths of liars
And I am everything and nothing at all

I am speaking order from within
I am aberration by design
Still right here as I have always been
I am nature, perfect by design

Feeding on the apple in the sea
You have done exactly as you're told
Filling us with everything we need
Turning common metal into gold

And all my arms will stretch across the sky - All Time Low
And you will see the glory of it all
Watching from a million different eyes
You will see the glory of it all

Speaking in tongues, this has begun, I am the end of it all
We have become zeroes and one, I am the end of it all - Zero-Sum
This is the place, this is the time I am the end of it all
Speaking in tongues, this has begun, I am the end of it all

fillow
01-04-2014, 06:45 AM
the first line also references The Becoming, kinda

sheepdean
01-04-2014, 06:41 PM
You do get that like, there's a finite number of words and phrases in the English language? You could do the same thing to compare HTDA to the Monkees

r_z
01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
You do get that like, there's a finite number of words and phrases in the English language?

Especially in Trent's little dictionary titled "The Words Of Self-Loathing".

It's got 2 pages.

Ryan
01-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Especially in Trent's little dictionary titled "The Words Of Self-Loathing".

It's got 2 pages.

Probably the best quote ever on this forum haha

eversonpoe
01-06-2014, 07:57 AM
You do get that like, there's a finite number of words and phrases in the English language? You could do the same thing to compare HTDA to the Monkees

and also that mariqueen is the main lyricist of the band, which seems to have to be constantly pointed out to people...

GibbonBlack
01-06-2014, 09:36 AM
I've lurked on this forum for 8 years. You're not telling me anything I don't know.
It doesn't take a genius to hear that, intentionally or not, Mariqueen uses a lot of the same lyrical phrases that Trent does.

they should get married or something;)

r_z
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
and also that mariqueen is the main lyricist of the band, which seems to have to be constantly pointed out to people...

yeah well, so she borrowed the dictionary from him. so what?

gorast
01-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Do you guys remember when tons of people thought Sigil 2 meant something other than Trent's silly obsession with cataloguing systems, just because it (apparently, at the time) didn't start at 1?

Good times.

sheepdean
01-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Does anyone have a HQ rip of the audio from the four teaser trailers for HTDA?

IndyJ
01-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Anyone happen to know what the font used for "Welcome Oblivion" is? I've been looking for ages.

sheepdean
01-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Anyone happen to know what the font used for "Welcome Oblivion" is? I've been looking for ages.
Do you mean the font it's based on? Because it's been manipulated by Rob

IndyJ
01-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Do you mean the font it's based on? Because it's been manipulated by Rob

I suppose so yes, i'm not sure if he customized it, but this would be the "un-glitched" version:http://destroyangels.com/images/wo_menu2.png

IndyJ
01-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Was listening to An omen ep_ earlier and noticed the lyrics "all my arms will stretch across the sky" on Speaking In Tongues, and my mind instantly went to All Time Low. Thought it was kinda interesting.

sheepdean
02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Does anyone have instrumentals of the various HTDA songs we have multitracks for?

hologram parade
04-27-2014, 06:51 PM
giving this a spin today and all i can think abt is that rob sheridan really killed it (in a good way) with the welcome oblivion packaging! great stuff. i wonder if they will cont with this look in the future?

https://31.media.tumblr.com/6d8935b9a98a42162e275a7c12e86e6d/tumblr_n4pr9xzD081qf2ic8o1_1280.jpg

GlitchyFlame
04-27-2014, 09:55 PM
https://s.4cdn.org/image/title/250.gif
This 4chan gif reminds me of HTDA for some reason...

cahernandez
04-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I think the guys behind the Under the Skin poster owe Mr. Sheridan some royalties. I'm going to see the film tonight! Has anyone seen it?

http://www.cinemapolis.org/pics/pics4/Under_the_Skin_poster3.jpg

Leviathant
04-28-2014, 01:18 PM
I think the guys behind the Under the Skin poster owe Mr. Sheridan some royalties.

I think you might be smoking crack rocks.

screwdriver
04-28-2014, 02:39 PM
I think the guys behind the Under the Skin poster owe Mr. Sheridan some royalties. I'm going to see the film tonight! Has anyone seen it?

http://www.cinemapolis.org/pics/pics4/Under_the_Skin_poster3.jpg

nopppppppppe but it was a really awesome movie, really recommend

GlitchyFlame
05-04-2014, 07:49 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/24q3xp/brazzers_porno_version_of_htdas_the_space_in/
Welp. This is a thing.

implanted_microchip
05-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Did anybody connect the song Speaking In Tongues to the Talking Heads album of the same name? I'm guessing it's just taking titles from places, like the band name and Coil, but nevertheless reaffirms what TR was saying last year about TH being a big influence lately.

BrownEyedStatistic
05-27-2014, 09:19 PM
I̕'̕v͝e ́d̸i͢sc̛o҉v͠ére̡d á str͞ong̷er ̡at̨tract̸i͟on to t̨he͡ muşi̡c ͏o͘f ͠HD̷TA ̵now tha͟t I'vę ̀ba͝cke͡d ͘a͡wa̸y̶ ͘f͡rom͘ ̵l̛is̴teni͠nģ ̀to͏ NIN's҉ ̧ol̛d͜er̸ ͟hal̴oş ̨f͜oŕ a͞whil͟e. ͏

sheepdean
05-27-2014, 09:34 PM
...why did you zalgo

And I wish HTDA had been brought with NIN to europe, but I have a vague hope that the reason we didn't get any HTDA songs is that there'll be actual shows in the future

BrownEyedStatistic
05-28-2014, 11:24 AM
No time to explain!

But yes, I agree with you about bringing HTDA to europe.

WorzelG
05-28-2014, 12:01 PM
...why did you zalgo

And I wish HTDA had been brought with NIN to europe, but I have a vague hope that the reason we didn't get any HTDA songs is that there'll be actual shows in the future
I was listening to Welcome Oblivion on the way to London for the show, and forgot how much I loved that album. I also really laughed at that Tatler magazine special on Atticus that sheepdean posted, his mum is called Bunty - it's like something out of a PG Wodehouse novel!

simonn
05-31-2014, 05:24 PM
I was listening to Welcome Oblivion on the way to London for the show, and forgot how much I loved that album. I also really laughed at that Tatler magazine special on Atticus that sheepdean posted, his mum is called Bunty - it's like something out of a PG Wodehouse novel!

I read that article on the back of this post - had no idea he was so well-to-do!

sheepdean
05-31-2014, 06:07 PM
^for anyone else interested, http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/8783867884/atticus-ross-interview-with-tatler-magazine-june

Scarlet Siren
07-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Watching Mariqueen dancing to Cold Cave on the other side of the rail in Prague is probably the closest I'll get to see HTDA for now.

*cries*

Vertigo
07-22-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm glad someone else liked Cold Cave.

Swykk
07-30-2014, 06:33 PM
I wish Cold Cave had been the opener in Chicago.

neveroddoreven
08-03-2014, 08:26 PM
welcome oblivion is one of the very few albums i feel like i NEED to listen to front to back… although i tried to like the ep's, they didn't do much for me initially… & while i enjoy the 2 additional tracks on the white version included with the vinyl, i'm kinda glad they were left out in the end…

certainly hope we get more from this project… still kicking myself in the teeth for missing them live…

elevenism
08-07-2014, 05:10 PM
my little brother is one of those "nin hasn't mattered since '94" fans and therefore wanted nothing to do with HTDA.

But he was driving a few hundred miles back to dallas today and asked me for a cd to listen to...and welcome oblivion was one of the only ones i had.

Well, he popped that motherfucker in and after about 30 seconds, looked at me and said "Oh shit! this is dope!"

FINALLY!

eversonpoe
08-09-2014, 06:28 PM
my little brother is one of those "nin hasn't mattered since '94" fans and therefore wanted nothing to do with HTDA.

But he was driving a few hundred miles back to dallas today and asked me for a cd to listen to...and welcome oblivion was one of the only ones i had.

Well, he popped that motherfucker in and after about 30 seconds, looked at me and said "Oh shit! this is dope!"

FINALLY!

if it wasn't for that last part, i'd ask if your brother was secretly billpulsipher hahaha

elevenism
08-09-2014, 06:39 PM
i know eversonpoe ... it crossed my mind, lol.

he gets on my fucking nerves with it. we LOVED nin together from the time he was 11 and i was 12, broken era.

but he decided the fragile sucked.

now he goes out of his way to rudely tell me how awful every new nin release is and how stupid i am for liking it.

sigh...i think it's some kind of bizarre sibling rivalry.

surely he's not bill...he spends his time doing graffiti and raising his daughter....but what does he do at night?

is my brother secretly the ANTI ELEVENO?!

lolz

r_k_f
08-21-2014, 11:11 AM
There's something about Strings and Attractors that I can't fight... the song is hypnotic.. once the chorus kicks in it gives me goose bumps... and from the 3:30 mark to the end, that simple little melody. ahhhh, I love it.

SarahConnor
08-21-2014, 11:24 AM
'Welcome oblivion' & 'hesitation marks' are both underrated.

implanted_microchip
08-28-2014, 12:16 AM
The self-titled EP is absolutely fantastic. I've seen a lot of people call it weak or complain about it in various places over the years, but damn, it's by far the most-listened HTDA release for me. Fur-Lined, Parasite, A Drowning are all absolutely incredible. It's short enough that every single song delivers without it feeling too long. The way that the vocals are recessed on so many songs, drowned out by the noise and sound is great and adds a really great texture to it.

Oh, and Speaking In Tongues should've been on Welcome Oblivion.

WorzelG
08-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Oh, and Speaking In Tongues should've been on Welcome Oblivion.
Just been listening to that, I bloody love it. Did they ever play it live? I'm thinking not

implanted_microchip
08-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Just been listening to that, I bloody love it. Did they ever play it live? I'm thinking not

I'm pretty sure they didn't, unfortunately. I've really hoped that someday there'd be a full-on US tour for HTDA, and hopefully they'd get to do a lot more, although I know if that ever did happen they'd be on a new album, with even more material competing for a slot in the setlist, so I doubt it'll happen at this point.

That rhythmic chanting at the end is just so incredible, the vocal harmony on the line "I am the end of it alllllllll" was one of the first times where I really felt like HTDA was a totally worthy and unique thing, not just a side project to me.

Not to mention it's one of the several songs that lyrically deals with spiritual/religious imagery and destruction (The Believers, And the Sky Began to Scream, etc.), and does it fabulously. It's always reminded me a whole lot of YZ, with "all my arms will stretch across the sky, and you will see the glory of it all" and "this is the place, this is the time, I am the end of it all" sounding so much like The Presence. I know that's probably unintentional, but it's something else to see the sort of ghosts of YZ's story pop up in different things from Trent ever since (Letting You, Satellite, etc.).

Oh and while I'm on more random thoughts and relating stuff to Year Zero, BBB always sounded like those lyrics could've been on YZ 2 had that been a thing. It has that whole "authority dominating the majority" aspect: "Get down, on the ground, Don't move, make a sound," "Listen to the sound of my big black boots." Always gives me flashes of the Survivalism video.

A lot of fans seem to totally rule out the possibility that anything is connected to YZ outside of YZ, but consciously or not I've always gotten the impression that there are a whole lot of nods and references to it ever since, and HTDA doesn't seem immune to it. I've really liked the thought of them continuing that universe through HTDA, it would be the first time I can think of where a concept album's universe went beyond one band and into another and would really magnify that scope and scale of the project that the ARG added to it.

screwdriver
08-30-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure they didn't, unfortunately. I've really hoped that someday there'd be a full-on US tour for HTDA, and hopefully they'd get to do a lot more, although I know if that ever did happen they'd be on a new album, with even more material competing for a slot in the setlist, so I doubt it'll happen at this point.

That rhythmic chanting at the end is just so incredible, the vocal harmony on the line "I am the end of it alllllllll" was one of the first times where I really felt like HTDA was a totally worthy and unique thing, not just a side project to me.

Not to mention it's one of the several songs that lyrically deals with spiritual/religious imagery and destruction (The Believers, And the Sky Began to Scream, etc.), and does it fabulously. It's always reminded me a whole lot of YZ, with "all my arms will stretch across the sky, and you will see the glory of it all" and "this is the place, this is the time, I am the end of it all" sounding so much like The Presence. I know that's probably unintentional, but it's something else to see the sort of ghosts of YZ's story pop up in different things from Trent ever since (Letting You, Satellite, etc.).

Oh and while I'm on more random thoughts and relating stuff to Year Zero, BBB always sounded like those lyrics could've been on YZ 2 had that been a thing. It has that whole "authority dominating the majority" aspect: "Get down, on the ground, Don't move, make a sound," "Listen to the sound of my big black boots." Always gives me flashes of the Survivalism video.

A lot of fans seem to totally rule out the possibility that anything is connected to YZ outside of YZ, but consciously or not I've always gotten the impression that there are a whole lot of nods and references to it ever since, and HTDA doesn't seem immune to it. I've really liked the thought of them continuing that universe through HTDA, it would be the first time I can think of where a concept album's universe went beyond one band and into another and would really magnify that scope and scale of the project that the ARG added to it.

its cool that you're enjoying it, but it's not connected

otnavuskire
08-30-2014, 06:57 PM
its cool that you're enjoying it, but it's not connected

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/308351592749465600

implanted_microchip
08-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Oh wow, thanks for that! I'd always thought I was just wrong or that it was unintentional, it's great to know there is some sort of intent behind it.

screwdriver
08-30-2014, 08:25 PM

I stand corrected, but I think it's just kind of thematic and not "universe" based. Like, I think HM is conceptually related to TDS

jessamineny
08-31-2014, 07:15 AM
But HM is directly and intentionally tied to TDS.

I don't think what Rob is saying by "conceptual connections" is as definitive. It's more like HTDA is working with themes surrounding the end of times, not necessarily in the Year Zero universe. There would naturally be crossover in imagery and language.

Or whatever HTDA considers their main themes. I've forgotten what Q said. But my point is that there's just crossover because they're similar concepts. But not directly and intentionally tied.

somethingelse
09-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Now that TR is shackle free from NIN touring, I wonder when an international HTDA tour will happen.
Possibly not until a new album drops.

screwdriver
09-05-2014, 06:30 PM
now that tr is shackle free from nin touring, i wonder when an international htda tour will happen.
Possibly not until a new album drops.

moar htda tours

sheepdean
09-05-2014, 06:48 PM
You know, I hardly listen to An Omen as a record, as great as it is, it would've been better to have had more than 2 unique tracks to keep it fresh

screwdriver
09-05-2014, 06:50 PM
You know, I hardly listen to An Omen as a record, as great as it is, it would've been better to have had more than 2 unique tracks to keep it fresh
I don't think I've listened to it since Welcome Oblivion came out, though I occasionally listen to Speaking in Tongues and lament that its not on the album where it should be

sheepdean
09-05-2014, 07:04 PM
I don't think I've listened to it since Welcome Oblivion came out, though I occasionally listen to Speaking in Tongues and lament that its not on the album where it should be
I spin it every now and then (more often than the KIT 12" anyway), but I just feel I can listen to Welcome Oblivion for the full sound but more songs. Was thinking this as I listened to it mind.

Vertigo
09-06-2014, 06:24 AM
I didn't like An Omen at all, the songs didn't work as well within the EP context in my opinion. I occasionally throw those extra songs into Welcome Oblivion's playlist though.

jmtd
09-06-2014, 09:14 AM
The omen served one purpose to me and that was to lower my expectations for the LP... Which pleasantly surprised me. The same songs recontextualised worked much better on the album. Or maybe just having more tracks makes skipping KIT easier.

screwdriver
09-06-2014, 10:21 AM
The omen served one purpose to me and that was to lower my expectations for the LP... Which pleasantly surprised me. The same songs recontextualised worked much better on the album. Or maybe just having more tracks makes skipping KIT easier.

I sort of despised KIT when it first came out but I've really come to love it. at first I thought it's just so textural that it needed headphones, but that never really worked. But somehow it was seeing it live -- where there's a real lack of texture -- that really made it click for me

that said, I actually totally agree with you on the lowered expectations

elevenism
09-08-2014, 01:17 PM
i'm randomly thinking that, yeah, kleiner is right...the first one was most definitely the dopest.
it actually influenced me and the half japanese girl with whom i was playing open mics and living with at the time.
we called ourselves Just Like You Imagined.
i made nasty, sexy beats and played a mean guitar while she sang.
i don't miss her, but goddamn i miss the music.

ok, sorry...i'm rambling again.

but good god, yes...fur-lined.

gorast
09-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Fur-Lined is still my favorite HTDA track. I think Welcome Oblivion is a better complete package, but even so, very few of the tracks on that album compare to the perfection of Fur-Lined.

(I also vaguely remember a few people back on the old ETS being annoyed that it used the same drum machine as Only, as if projects involving Trent have never re-used things like that before.)

sheepdean
09-08-2014, 02:49 PM
(I also vaguely remember a few people back on the old ETS being annoyed that it used the same drum machine as Only, as if projects involving Trent have never re-used things like that before.)
http://www.ninwiki.com/Htda_Questions#Fur-Lined_drums 'twas in the Q&A fan thing

Still annoyed we didn't get any HTDA in Europe when nearly the entire band was there for the NIN europe tour

screwdriver
09-08-2014, 04:41 PM

that was my favorite complaint. fuck you danny carey, for playing the same drumset on every song on lateralus. fuck you, van halen, for using the same guitar on almost every song. and mostly, fuck you 90s hip hop, for using an mpc on almost everything

elevenism
09-09-2014, 04:14 AM
Everything everything everything is echoing echoing echoing this is really happening !

henryeatscereal
09-09-2014, 12:36 PM
I miss the band, really... i'm so happy NIN returned last year but i want (late) 2014 (or maybe early 2015?) to be the year of the return of HTDA, obviously i want a new album and a tour (more than 13 shows please, and maybe come to Latin America...), loved "Welcome Oblivion" and i think the band has great potential to become a project of their own...

hb13161705
09-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Absolutely love A Drowning, with Ice Age second. How was I supposed to know that Mariqueen was going to come onstage with Trent at the second Sydney NIN show last March? Still spewing I went to the wrong show.

sheepdean
10-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Mariqueen did a photoshoot with the name Welcome Oblivion, kindling my hope for a new album http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2014/10/editorial-welcome-oblivion/

And, loose relation, Ming & Ping's The Light of Day / The Darkness of Night is finally out on physical/digital, which Q gives vocals to on Chinatown http://mingping.com/shop/

gorast
10-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Didn't the song Mariqueen was featured on for that come out like three years ago?

sheepdean
10-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Didn't the song Mariqueen was featured on for that come out like three years ago?
Yes but on an EP (that is half the album), and only digitally I think

eversonpoe
10-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Mariqueen did a photoshoot with the name Welcome Oblivion, kindling my hope for a new album http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2014/10/editorial-welcome-oblivion/

her second outfit (the rick owens one) is like ice planet hoth-chic

Aywok
10-23-2014, 08:51 PM
her second outfit (the rick owens one) is like ice planet hoth-chic

That is her Wampa battle attire.

xfocalinx
10-24-2014, 01:44 AM
Somebody posted it on reddit somewhere and brings up an interesting theory on the HTDA Releases:

How To Destroy Angels (EP)
Omen (EP)
Welcome Oblivion

could their releases spell out the name? or is this just a coincidence?

sheepdean
10-24-2014, 01:54 AM
Somebody posted it on reddit somewhere and brings up an interesting theory on the HTDA Releases:

How To Destroy Angels (EP)
Omen (EP)
Welcome Oblivion

could their releases spell out the name? or is this just a coincidence?
Coincidence, and it would be
How to destroy angels
An omen ep_
Welcome oblivion

xfocalinx
10-24-2014, 02:44 AM
Coincidence, and it would be
How to destroy angels
An omen ep_
Welcome oblivion

"Haw Ta Destray angels" the boston band!

fillow
10-24-2014, 09:03 AM
What's the best non-Coachella live recording? I want to check encore songs.

Copy_of_an_Echo
11-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know what is going on technically speaking in the song Keep it Together?

I am blown away by the subtle effect on Mariqueens voice. When she says "tremolo", yeah of course we hear the harmony, but underneath, her delay/echo comes out slightly more prominently. It sounds like a quiet little scattered loop of her voice that ends abruptly. What gear are they using for her voice? It looks like they've got Traktor set up too or something...

Copy_of_an_Echo
11-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know what the main idea or purpose behind HTDA is?

I would really like to decipher their message/messages. Each song has a story to tell it seems but I'm finding it challenging to grasp it.

sheepdean
11-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know what is going on technically speaking in the song Keep it Together?

I am blown away by the subtle effect on Mariqueens voice. When she says "tremolo", yeah of course we hear the harmony, but underneath, her delay/echo comes out slightly more prominently. It sounds like a quiet little scattered loop of her voice that ends abruptly. What gear are they using for her voice? It looks like they've got Traktor set up too or something...
The music video ( https://vimeo.com/52603601 ) shows a lot of the tech and gear from the song, but I don't think they've gone into detail about what was used on that song (unlike The Believers, wish there was something like that for every track).

Does anyone know what the main idea or purpose behind HTDA is?

I would really like to decipher their message/messages. Each song has a story to tell it seems but I'm finding it challenging to grasp it.
I don't think there's a band concept - some songs are clearly about relationships, some about fan reactions (imo) and some about broader themes.

WorzelG
11-09-2014, 11:47 PM
I always thought they were about end-times, some sort of dystopian future, well Welcome Oblivion anyway

Copy_of_an_Echo
11-10-2014, 01:52 AM
I appreciate your input.

Copy_of_an_Echo
11-10-2014, 01:57 AM
By the way you said they went into more detail with the song The Believers. Do you mean they made a music video that shows their gear more or they explained it in an interview or something?

I'd like to find out about that one.

BRoswell
11-10-2014, 02:21 AM
By the way you said they went into more detail with the song The Believers. Do you mean they made a music video that shows their gear more or they explained it in an interview or something?

I'd like to find out about that one.

http://www.wired.com/2010/05/process_song/

Copy_of_an_Echo
11-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the link; great to get a peak into how things are done.

sheepdean
11-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the link; great to get a peak into how things are done.
You can simply right click and download all those audio tracks (as .ogg files) if you want to keep them for a HTDA playlist like I have :P

Copy_of_an_Echo
11-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Brilliant idea. Makes you realize they're not just sitting there meticulously inserting each sound one at a time. No they're playing back a collection of sounds and loops that have already been recorded.

Mafu
12-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Sometimes, I'm waiting for the sausage to arrive.

BenAkenobi
01-02-2015, 04:10 AM
A Drowning is the first song I listened in New year :)

butter_hole
01-03-2015, 05:04 AM
Lol mark weaver needs some new ideas:

http://www.wired.com/2010/01/ff_internetaddiction/?mbid=social_twitter

gorast
01-03-2015, 12:16 PM
That's from 2010 and it's also just what he does.

Ryan
01-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Circles ftw!

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Who knows what instrument Rob used in the music video for Ice Age? I'm talking about the big box/computer looking thing with the old school screen; the instrument making the high pitched ringing/droning sound.

eversonpoe
01-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Who knows what instrument Rob used in the music video for Ice Age? I'm talking about the big box/computer looking thing with the old school screen; the instrument making the high pitched ringing/droning sound.

i can't seem to find the interview, but i remember him or trent mentioning exactly what it was at some point. mayhaps someone with stronger googling skills than i should tackle this. or sheepdean probably knows.

fillow
01-06-2015, 08:30 AM
What if he's just "looking busy" and "turning that knob that does nothing"? :)

bgalbraith
01-06-2015, 12:55 PM

It's a PPG Realizer http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/ppgrealizer.php

sheepdean
01-06-2015, 01:46 PM
What if he's just "looking busy" and "turning that knob that does nothing"? :)
I think even if you started with 0 musical talent, working alongside Trent+crew for over a decade would mean you'd know more than how to just pretend to use a synth :P

screwdriver
01-08-2015, 10:56 AM
I think even if you started with 0 musical talent, working alongside Trent+crew for over a decade would mean you'd know more than how to just pretend to use a synth :P

I'm pretty sure he was referencing the leaked audio from the 2013 rehearsals

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-09-2015, 11:40 PM
Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. Half my questions people know the answers to.

Ryan
01-11-2015, 05:34 AM
"How Long?" sounds so 90s but so current at the same time, it's impossible not to like it!

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-21-2015, 02:52 AM
Really? You think it sounds 90's? Wow I never got that impression. To me it sounds quite modern because of it's hi-fidelity.

sheepdean
01-21-2015, 04:16 AM
Really? You think it sounds 90's? Wow I never got that impression. To me it sounds quite modern because of it's hi-fidelity.
High fidelity audio has existed for decades though

eversonpoe
01-21-2015, 08:23 AM

i think the comment was more about style than sound quality.

elevenism
01-23-2015, 01:41 PM
they used How Long during the NBA playoffs last year (or was it the year before?)

Whenever it came out, you know.

I only heard it on one commercial, one time, but i thought it was really dope.

edit: oh...i tried to search for it and i already mentioned that here in april of 13.
GawdDAMN time flies.

you guys talking about the song made me think about it.

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-28-2015, 08:21 PM
That's true, but I don't know if you can say the 90's was notoriously known for being high-fi. Most of the 90's music I've heard was from Depeche Mode, well, NIN of course, and grundge like Nirvana and other stuff like The Cure, which was pretty lo-fi, and the weird lo-fi alternative stuff from This Mortal Coil, etc.

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-28-2015, 08:23 PM
I agree he was probably talking about style. but even style/composition, I still don't see it. I would be curious to know what songs he might affiliate himself with when hearing How Long.

sheepdean
01-28-2015, 08:37 PM
That's true, but I don't know if you can say the 90's was notoriously known for being high-fi. Most of the 90's music I've heard was from Depeche Mode, well, NIN of course, and grundge like Nirvana and other stuff like The Cure, which was pretty lo-fi, and the weird lo-fi alternative stuff from This Mortal Coil, etc.
Grunge isn't an antonym to hi-fi. It simply means High Fidelity: that is, the audio produced through your monitors is very faithful to the original recording. There are musicians who intentionally produce Low-Fi (Anal Cunt for example), but no mainstream artist could do that and hope for radio play.

eversonpoe
01-29-2015, 01:30 AM
I agree he was probably talking about style. but even style/composition, I still don't see it. I would be curious to know what songs he might affiliate himself with when hearing How Long.

the piano chords/vocal melody that open the song are very stylistically linked to a lot of the pop of the mid-late 90s, a la britney spears, christina aguilera, backstreet boys, etc.
the song, to me, sounds like a great mash-up of that pop style with HTDA's usual fare. so i freakin' love it.

xfocalinx
02-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Any update on the fan made DVD?

sheepdean
02-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Any update on the fan made DVD?
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1583-Live-at-Coachella-2013-Blu-ray-DVD

xfocalinx
02-24-2015, 04:18 PM
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1583-Live-at-Coachella-2013-Blu-ray-DVD

Cheers, but weren't they filming at the Chicago show?

gorast
02-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Wrong one. xfocalinx is talking about the TOIOU project, and there have been no updates since May 2014. Vaporware, just like the Dresden Dolls project. No surprise there.

RJK
02-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Wrong one. xfocalinx is talking about the TOIOU project, and there have been no updates since May 2014. Vaporware, just like the Dresden Dolls project. No surprise there.

I believe ninlive was posting screenshots of the video on twitter over the weekend. Maybe not a vaporware as one would think. Of course I'm assuming. Better to ask him and I can't tag him from tapatalk.

https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/569153945677008896

https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/569203684485103616

https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/569210092685434881

https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/569225183896035328

https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/569240273718390784

https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/569255413608087554

gorast
02-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Huh. I was basing that on browsing through TOIOU's Twitter feed, so I'm just straight up wrong, probably. That's good to know, at least.

Substance242
02-25-2015, 01:54 AM
I am enjoying new headphones, and Welcome Oblivion is the best sound experience with them so far.

xfocalinx
02-27-2015, 11:15 PM
I was talking about the video TOIOU was doing, sorry!

ninlive
02-28-2015, 09:14 AM
I believe ninlive was posting screenshots of the video on twitter over the weekend. Maybe not a vaporware as one would think. Of course I'm assuming. Better to ask him and I can't tag him from tapatalk.

It may, or may not be screenshots. You decide. :)

Avarik
03-01-2015, 05:35 PM
i want to believe

r_k_f
03-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Strings and Attractors still gives me goosebumps...

r_k_f
03-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Who else misses that initial feeling when we were being teased?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4uX1O6vrLQ&index=1&list=RDp4uX1O6vrLQ

gorast
03-26-2015, 05:32 PM
I miss HTDA in general.

shin2chi
03-28-2015, 09:27 AM
:( "There are no products available in this category." - http://store.destroyangels.com/

sheepdean
03-28-2015, 12:00 PM
:( "There are no products available in this category." - http://store.destroyangels.com/
Speculation time:
Maybe they were updating the store and forgot to revert settings when they were done testing whatever new product was gonna be in there

gamecat235
03-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Speculation time:
Maybe they were updating the store and forgot to revert settings when they were done testing whatever new product was gonna be in there

I admire your optimism... and share it. *crosses fingers*

WorzelG
03-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Speculation time:
Stop with the getting my hopes up thing

Copy_of_an_Echo
04-04-2015, 07:05 PM
The instrument Trent play's in Ice Age; what is that?

sheepdean
04-05-2015, 02:15 AM
The instrument Trent play's in Ice Age; what is that?
Trent was using a Dolceola (and to pre-empt, Atticus was using a Harmolin)

Copy_of_an_Echo
04-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Trent was using a Dolceola (and to pre-empt, Atticus was using a Harmolin)

Thanks a lot!

GlitchyFlame
04-11-2015, 09:23 PM
New HTDA before new NIN, I bet
https://instagram.com/p/1TynLkhu2-/?taken-by=mariqueenmaandigreznor
https://instagram.com/p/1Txis6hu0_/?taken-by=mariqueenmaandigreznor
https://instagram.com/p/1SMDQZBu1b/?taken-by=mariqueenmaandigreznor
https://instagram.com/p/zRom6BhuwN/?taken-by=mariqueenmaandigreznor
https://instagram.com/p/yYdD8oBu1C/?taken-by=mariqueenmaandigreznor
https://twitter.com/mariqueen/status/530080181755465728

Don't be silly now, NYRexall (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/911-NYRexall). We all know that'll never happen.

shin2chi
04-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Speculation time:
I'm suspecting that HTDA's web store will switch over from Modlife to Firebrand Live, just like the NIN web store.
I haven't been able to buy the HTDA tour hoodie yet, so I hope the HTDA store will be updated soon.

Akahige
04-14-2015, 12:47 AM
There is a HTDA section on NIN.com's merch area.

Wolfkiller
01-09-2016, 05:48 AM
Christ it's 5:47am and Hallowed Ground with headphones on sounds like someone knocking on your window behind you.
HTDA > Hesitation Marks? Likely.

Vertigo
01-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Whichever album preference, that was a bloody good year.

sweeterthan
02-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Let's hope the next baby is a record.

Ryan
03-23-2016, 09:33 PM
More music akin to the title track plz.

elevenism
04-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, what turns you on about the title track?

eversonpoe
04-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Just out of curiosity, what turns you on about the title track?

it's super dark and aggressive but also super sexy, and the chorus has this "breath of fresh air" feeling to it when the effects come off Q's vocals...it's just SO GOOD.

elevenism
04-22-2016, 03:53 PM
it's super dark and aggressive but also super sexy, and the chorus has this "breath of fresh air" feeling to it when the effects come off Q's vocals...it's just SO GOOD.

Oh. Shit. Listening to it again right now and...
It's been far too long since i've listened to this record, and i didn't listen to it enough times!
All i really had in my head was the "breath of fresh air part."
Yes, it's a great track and a great album. I love the way it sounds on a good car stereo, with sounds both assaulting and caressing you from all angles.

I may be in the minority here, but i loved Keep it Together and the second EP in general.
For me, though, their strongest work is on the first EP. Again, however, i need to bump the LP again and more often.
At any rate, they have a GREAT set. I wouldn't mind a few tour dates BEFORE they release another album (i never caught a show.)

Ryan
04-22-2016, 11:10 PM
What eversonpoe said!

"IDONTKNOWIFYOUCANHEARMEOVERTHIS!"

It kind of reminds me of the desperation in We're In This Together.

BRoswell
04-26-2016, 06:23 PM
The NIN/HTDA store needs a serious update. I've been upgrading as much of my music to lossless sources as possible, so I went to buy An Omen through the site (since it said it was available in either Apple Lossless or FLAC format). Paid my money, followed the link to download it, and come to find out that there's no way to download anything but the MP3 version, which I already own. Thankfully it was only five bucks, but I'm still really annoyed about that. There also appears to be no way to contact them about it either, which I find incredibly frustrating. I guess a strongly worded tweet will have to do!

Hazekiah
04-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Having just celebrated the 3rd anniversary of the HtDA Chicago show but ALSO having been on the road the whole time since, I have almost NO IDEA what's up with the project.

Did it ever get a physical DVD/BD release?

elevenism
07-04-2016, 11:42 PM
so all the htda shirts are on clearance on nin.com

...hmmm

thefooman007
07-06-2016, 03:40 PM
I was on the official page and links aren't working. Is HTDA dead?

Substance242
07-30-2016, 03:01 PM
I love this HTDA "Last person on Earth" (name from store.nin.com) picture, I bought that t-shirt, I set it as background image in my Facebook profile (I returned recently after many years to stalk future wives), and I also have it set on cumputers as background and lock screen. So when coworker passes by I sometimes point at it saying "This is me, this is how I feel", and we both laugh. But I know better, in my heart, I know better. And we told ourselves it didn't... wait, that's another story. :-)
https://www.instagram.com/p/QiIxa6EKAj/?taken-by=destroyangels

PS: Looking for this picture, it's funny (?) to see google result "How to destroy angels. On tour now." :-) :-(

elevenism
08-27-2016, 03:36 PM
So this is funny. I never saw the final scene of the How Long video because i am button happy and have always turned it off too fast.

I saw it the other day and was like HOLY shit. Those last few seconds change the possible interpretations DRASTICALly.

We wound up, those of us who live here, having a spirited discussion about it, the sort of discussion you would find in a college ethics course, re the protagonist's justification or lack thereof .

gorast
08-27-2016, 09:59 PM
The Last Person on Earth and Black Mirror shirts are great. I still wear both of them all the time.

nin5in
11-09-2016, 01:53 PM
The intro to parasite reminds me of the intro to Social Deception by Skinny Puppy.

BRoswell
12-27-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm still kind of bummed that they never played "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" on their tour. I feel like it would have fit in really well right before they played "A Drowning".

Harry Seaward
01-17-2017, 05:26 PM
It's, uh, kinda interesting that the deadmau5 mix of Ice Age is the top song on How To Destroy Angels' Google Play Music page. I'd actually be kind of insulting if I were an artist and that were the case. What is the top song on their Spotify page?

botley
01-17-2017, 05:52 PM
It's, uh, kinda interesting that the deadmau5 mix of Ice Age is the top song on How To Destroy Angels' Google Play Music page. I'd actually be kind of insulting if I were an artist and that were the case. What is the top song on their Spotify page?
First track on the new album.

snaapz
01-20-2017, 01:23 PM
HTDA is too gray, gloomy and ominous for me to listen to. #random

implanted_microchip
01-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Welcome Oblivion still seems like a weird and extremely depressed, post-apocalypse offshoot of Year Zero to me

elevenism
01-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Welcome Oblivion still seems like a weird and extremely depressed, post-apocalypse offshoot of Year Zero to me
Yup.
I think it IS that.

Microwave Jellyfish
06-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Welcome Oblivion is not meant to be listened to with a clear mind.

We Fade Away brings people closer.

GibbonBlack
06-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Is Rob still a part of this do you think?

simonn
06-19-2017, 11:50 PM

The Space In Between. Deadmau5 remix is the 2nd most listened to track after that one though...

Is Rob still a part of this do you think?

If HTDA is even still a thing, then I think Rob's left it. I reckon, from recent interviews, that he's cut all ties with his former life for a while. Good luck to him.

snichols
12-03-2017, 04:27 PM
hey guys, im not sure if the HTDA live in chicago ever had an actual physical DVD with case/artwork but if anyone has a copy they would sell i would love to buy it:)

implanted_microchip
12-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Thematically I think Welcome Oblivion fits 2017 so much better than it fit 2013. It's really resonated with me in a way I don't remember it doing at release or in the years since. Strings and Attractors has got to be one of the most beautiful things Trent's worked on. He and Mariqueen's vocal harmony in the chorus is flawless stuff, and I hope her mention of next year potentially bringing more HTDA ends up being accurate -- the themes of apocalypse, digital detachment, noise as language and language as noise and the exploration of feeling like we're on the edge of losing our individual identities are all very fitting to right now and I'd love to see them explore more of this headspace and sound.

Microwave Jellyfish
12-29-2017, 08:41 AM
HTDA confession: it took me five (well, almost) years to discover that Unintended Consequences was a thing. I'm kind of addicted to it now. Wish there was more stuff like this and the Conversation With demos around.

GibbonBlack
12-29-2017, 08:52 AM
HTDA confession: it took me five (well, almost) years to discover that Unintended Consequences was a thing.

It took me until this very second

snichols
12-29-2017, 01:02 PM
what is unintended consequences???

implanted_microchip
12-29-2017, 02:10 PM
what is unintended consequences???

Pretty sure it was one of the songs exclusive to the vinyl tracklisting since I have it on my hard drive ripped from the white label CD but I honestly don't know the standard CD tracklisting.

Hyperpower
12-30-2017, 01:59 AM
hey guys, im not sure if the HTDA live in chicago ever had an actual physical DVD with case/artwork but if anyone has a copy they would sell i would love to buy it:)

Seconded
I'd pay the cost/shipping for it

ninlive
12-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Seconded
I'd pay the cost/shipping for it

Let me add this to the queue of things I want to get done in the coming months.

Bachy
01-15-2018, 10:05 AM
I mentioned a while back that I’d love to see HTDA cover “How Soon is Now?”

I still stand by that.

sheepdean
01-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Let me add this to the queue of things I want to get done in the coming months.
Add that as a patreon tier!

chuckrh
01-16-2018, 06:01 AM
some humour: friends of mine had a band called the aquanettas (were sort of like the bangles) & somehow they were booked to open for NIN in the early days i think in florida. predictably, that sort of music didn't go over real well. my friend's said it was like being in "children of the corn", haha.

tremolo
01-16-2018, 07:52 AM
I mentioned a while back that I’d love to see HTDA cover “How Soon is Now?”

I still stand by that.

Damn that would be amazing! It’s a long “circular” song, the structure fits perfectly with the way HTDA structures their music.

One can only wish.

thefragile_jake
05-19-2018, 01:14 PM
I would've loved this project more if it didn't feel like such a Trent Reznor carbon copy. At the end of the day, the lyrics ... production ... vocal arrangements ... it had the Nine Inch Nails blueprint and formula all over it.

It would've been more exciting to hear Trent's version of garage rock or even something along the lines of FKA twigs style r&b ... something COMPLETELY outside of the wheelhouse of Nine Inch Nails to test what he was capable of musically along with Mariqueen's vocals. But ... when I hear a song like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0cqfSJJxo

... I'm sorry, that's just straight up 2005 - 2008 Nine Inch Nails.

r_z
05-19-2018, 01:53 PM
It's catchy as he'll tho

thefragile_jake
05-19-2018, 02:37 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/1359ccb442c9ed7aa8eef1df01935591/tenor.gif?itemid=7551542

Vertigo
05-19-2018, 05:33 PM
It's still great music IMO, but agreed. Does very much feel like recent NIN or TR/AR with Mariqueen's vocals, particularly that initial EP.

I'd really like to see Trent outside his comfort zone with a more analogue band, playing less rigid structures. Absolutely no looping of anything, live instruments, messing around with dynamism, progression and time signatures, maybe even no synths. More garage rock as you say thefragile_jake .

BRoswell
05-19-2018, 06:45 PM
To be honest, I'm over the whole "It sounds too much like Nine Inch Nails!" argument. Anything that Trent plays a major part in creating is going to sound like Nine Inch Nails, and I'm totally fine with that.

neorev
05-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Honestly a part of me just wish Trent said fuck it, this is Nine Inch Nails and not go under another name. I think he did it because he anticipated some fans would have bashed him for having his wife on vocals and cry about it like those John & Yoko kinda bashing types out there. It sounds like NIN, just make it be NIN. Especially now that Mariqueen joined him on Not The Actual Events. Just say fuck it and let her be on NIN tracks. If you got a problem with that, then fuck off. This is Nine Inch Nails now, deal with it. Mariqueen can show up whenever she and Trent like to have her on a track.

BRoswell
05-19-2018, 08:06 PM
I don't think he made it a separate band just because of Mariqueen though. I believe he even mentioned in an interview that he wanted to do something where he wasn't the only one in charge, hence why Mariqueen and Atticus and eventually Rob were part of it.

bobbie solo
05-20-2018, 12:51 AM
Just say fuck it and let her be on NIN tracks. If you got a problem with that, then fuck off. This is Nine Inch Nails now, deal with it. Mariqueen can show up whenever she and Trent like to have her on a track.

God no.

thefragile_jake
05-20-2018, 10:33 AM
To be honest, I'm over the whole "It sounds too much like Nine Inch Nails!" argument. Anything that Trent plays a major part in creating is going to sound like Nine Inch Nails, and I'm totally fine with that.

Oh for sure, I think that's just the realization that you have to come up with at the end of the day ... but I was trying to revisit some HTDA material recently and found myself just getting a little bored. I just think that this project would've captured my attention if it didn't feel too familiar is all.

theburningreptile
06-09-2018, 12:55 PM
I really hope that a new EP or album within 1-2 years. I prefer HTDA over recent NIN as well.

eachpassingphase
06-11-2018, 12:24 AM
I really hope that a new EP or album within 1-2 years. I prefer HTDA over recent NIN as well.

I only JUST got into HTDA and I would love a new album sometime soon too. Mariqueen's vocals are really lovely, frankly, I would just like to hear more of her in general.

Lerxto
06-11-2018, 03:44 PM
I want another HTDA t-shirt.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Listening to HTDA again for the first time in what feels like years. Fuck, I missed this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY2VADkYanQ

ryanmcfly
10-31-2018, 08:37 AM
is this band still a thing or no?

ltrandazzo
10-31-2018, 08:57 AM

Everything is a thing if you think about it hard enough.

zecho
10-31-2018, 11:29 AM

I hope so. Welcome Oblivion was fantastic.

Lerxto
10-31-2018, 05:53 PM
I just think Trent and Atticus just don't have time for HTDA anymore.
But if they create music and it sounds like HTDA, who knows? We could get a surprise announcement anytime.

zecho
11-01-2018, 10:46 AM
I just think Trent and Atticus just don't have time for HTDA anymore.
But if they create music and it sounds like HTDA, who knows? We could get a surprise announcement anytime.

I imagine that if they wanted to do more HTDA then time wouldn't be a problem. They'd just work on it instead of NIN for a little bit.

theimage13
11-01-2018, 04:04 PM
My gut says we'll never get another HDTA song, or at best maybe a single for a soundtrack or something. I'd love to be wrong, but it just feels like they're both more interested in NIN and scores than HDTA. Maybe Q is just more interested in other things than doing another album. Who knows.

All I know is that their songs just seem to work really well with the cold / grey / changing leaves vibe of fall, so I've been listening to them a lot lately and yes, wishing that more was coming.

BRoswell
11-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Trent & Atticus definitely seem more interested in Nine Inch Nails and film scores at the moment, and I think Mariqueen is enjoying being a mom for a while. The fact that Parasite has been played at several recent shows tells me that they haven't completely left the project behind just yet. I think it's more a question of when, not if, we'll get something new from them.

ophelia_
11-22-2018, 07:14 PM
I wonder if Rob would be a part of HTDA if they ever release anything in the future. I miss Rob, he was a good egg. He's got a lot going on with his own ventures though, which is great to see.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-22-2018, 09:46 PM
I wonder if Rob would be a part of HTDA if they ever release anything in the future. I miss Rob, he was a good egg. He's got a lot going on with his own ventures though, which is great to see.

It really is! Funny that you post this comment today. I just bought four of his prints because he’s having a “buy 4 for the price of 3” sale across his whole store. The four I got were: a photo print from the Ghost sessions (Disintegration), two featuring animalistic skeletons used on two of the HTDA shirts (Curiousa Naturae), and one that’s the same style, but wasn’t used for any HTDA artwork that I can recall. I feel like that third one had to be on another shirt or something, though.

Whenever this current NIN hype train starts to wind itself down, I hope they do two things: give themselves a little time off to breathe, because holy shit, and then I’d really love to see HTDA make a return eventually. Not sure that Rob would be able to, or even want to, but that would be the best possible way to do it. Those four combined are a fucking solid group.

BRoswell
11-22-2018, 11:22 PM

I have my doubts, mainly because he's doing his own thing now, and because I believe whatever comes next for the group is going to be different than what came before and won't require his services.

simonn
11-23-2018, 07:16 AM
Well the question was asked in that Mexico band interview earlier this week, and it certainly seemed like HTDA was still a thing - which is a very good thing.

sheepdean
11-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Well the question was asked in that Mexico band interview earlier this week, and it certainly seemed like HTDA was still a thing - which is a very good thing.
Mariqueen, Atticus and Trent for sure will do it. But I think number 4 might be Ally next time

BRoswell
11-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Mariqueen, Atticus and Trent for sure will do it. But I think number 4 might be Ally next time

That definitely seems likely, especially considering how involved he's been with Trent & Atticus over the years (both on stage and in the studio).

neorev
11-23-2018, 02:45 PM
I'd love Alessandro to have more involvement in a TR&AR project. I wish he was involved more with NIN in music creation.

sheepdean
11-23-2018, 08:55 PM
I'd love Alessandro to have more involvement in a TR&AR project. I wish he was involved more with NIN in music creation.
I think he prefers doing his own thing and not being tied down to someone else's band. But HTDA is technically a supergroup so it works for him to be a member

neorev
11-23-2018, 10:55 PM
I think he prefers doing his own thing and not being tied down to someone else's band. But HTDA is technically a supergroup so it works for him to be a member

Well sadly Alessandro ended the one project of his that I absolutely love from him. His drone stuff is good if ya wanna put something on to chill and fall asleep to, but his Sonoio material is so much stronger. If he could bring that Sonoio style/sound to NIN or HTDA, I will be happy. His songwriting/melodies/build ups are great. He would be great with Trent and Atticus if they really let him in to do his thing with them.

simonn
12-09-2018, 02:53 AM
A Facebook poster on the NIN Facebook page suggested that Trent has said at some point that 'HTDA was a disaster because of other people involved in it' - I've just asked him for a link to the article this was said in, but as a close follower of all things Reznor, have never heard that before. It doesn't even seem like something he'd say. he's not usually that indiscreet - but if anyone can give credence to this, please link me up....

tremolo
12-09-2018, 06:45 AM
A Facebook poster on the NIN Facebook page suggested that Trent has said at some point that 'HTDA was a disaster because of other people involved in it' - I've just asked him for a link to the article this was said in, but as a close follower of all things Reznor, have never heard that before. It doesn't even seem like something he'd say. he's not usually that indiscreet - but if anyone can give credence to this, please link me up....

Sounds like BS.

The shows were very well received and so was the music. Plus that sounds out of character for Trent.

tremolo
12-09-2018, 06:56 AM

Sounds like BS.

The shows were very well received and so was the music. Plus that sounds out of character for Trent.

WorzelG
12-09-2018, 07:25 AM
I don't believe that for a second. I do think htda is underrated but that's not really anyone's fault. It wasn't even for lack of promotion really because at least htda had a few videos (more than NIN by a longshot)

zecho
12-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Sounds like BS.

Yeah, that's made up.

sheepdean
12-10-2018, 01:16 AM
Rob - maybe who knows
Atticus - Trent was best man at his wedding
Mariqueen - married Trent
Ally - still in NIN

Bull, and indeed, shite

BRoswell
12-10-2018, 02:05 AM
IF Trent said that (and that's one big massive IF), he could possibly be referring to people at Columbia Records. I doubt Trent would talk shit about Rob since their partnership apparently ended on good terms, and I highly doubt he would talk shit about two of his biggest musical collaborators, one of whom he's married to. :p