PDA

View Full Version : Dredd (2012)

owinn
07-20-2012, 05:35 PM
So who's up for this?

http://youtu.be/PifvRiHVSCY

Dredd has always looks like something that if made into a movie should be terrible, the Stallone movie was upsetting. This actually looks like it could be a decent go at the franchise, so long as Karl Urban keeps his goddamn helmet on! Reactions at Comic-Con have been largely positive (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/dredd-reviews-comic-con-premiere_n_1667797.html)

If you’ve ever wanted to see what a bullet going through a dude’s jaw looked like in slow motion, then by God 'Dredd's' the movie for you!

Yes please!

bobbie solo
07-21-2012, 01:08 AM
the helmet supposedly will stay on the entire time.

I am VERY excite for this, as a huge fan of the comics. The Stallone movie was hilarious.

I AHM DA LAAWWWWW

aggroculture
07-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Based on the trailer, this looks dreddful.

owinn
07-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Based on the trailer, this looks dreddful.

Mwaaap mwaaap mwaaaaah....
yeah I know, I know. I don't think anyone is going to claim it's going to be award winning, it looks like a decent take on the character though. It will be interesting to see how much of the satirical edge (if any) of the comics they manage to inject into this movie - Dredd was a lot more than just a guy shooting people Dirty Harry style, I want to see him discussing the finer points of the ills of rampant consumerism - and THEN shooting people. I would also request we see Call Me Kenneth getting involved at some point.

Luke Flanaghan
08-20-2012, 05:26 AM
100% on Rotten Tomatos, RAVE screening reviews from Comic Con, every critic who has seen it has loved it with absolutely NO negative press from Geek or Mainstream critics alike.

A hard R in a world where every comic book movie is made PG13 to fill the cinema, this looks incredibly brave by its choice to be as authentic to the character as it can on the budget it has.............

People will say, oh its a remake of the Stalone movie........those people need to be educated that Dredd existed before Stalone

People will say, 'Oh its just ripped of the raid' before they watch it without realising this was scripted and in production before the Raid existed.

People will say Oh Karl Urban is just trying to rip off the Batman voice, when the fact is, Dredd is based on Dirty Harry so Urban is lifting Clint

Its going to OWN

kdrcraig
08-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Saw the trailer before Expendables 2, definitely looks pretty awesome.

Leman Russ
08-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Saw the trailer before Expendables 2, definitely looks pretty awesome.

Same here. I think it looks all kinds of silly and ridiculous. Can't say I'm excited to see it, but I'm sure I will at some point

owinn
08-24-2012, 03:04 PM
100% on Rotten Tomatos, RAVE screening reviews from Comic Con, every critic who has seen it has loved it with absolutely NO negative press from Geek or Mainstream critics alike.

A hard R in a world where every comic book movie is made PG13 to fill the cinema, this looks incredibly brave by its choice to be as authentic to the character as it can on the budget it has.............

People will say, oh its a remake of the Stalone movie........those people need to be educated that Dredd existed before Stalone

People will say, 'Oh its just ripped of the raid' before they watch it without realising this was scripted and in production before the Raid existed.

People will say Oh Karl Urban is just trying to rip off the Batman voice, when the fact is, Dredd is based on Dirty Harry so Urban is lifting Clint

Its going to OWN

Yes, it is. It could well be one of the best comic book adaptations ever. Imagine that.

thelastdisciple
08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Stallone's Dredd was obviously a laughable movie that did not serve the character very well but I think I'll always find some enjoyment every now and then out of it's kind of cheese.

Definitely looking forward to this new movie though, not sure if it'll be a straight-to-the-theater one we'll see what the $$$ looks like but in any case I'm pretty stoked for it.

EDIT: If i decide to go there better be a non-3D showing of it.

Sutekh
08-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Looks good...

Still want a Sinister Dexter movie though!!!

Fixer808
08-28-2012, 08:46 AM
http://youtu.be/PifvRiHVSCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRa6Hz6OwA&feature=relmfu
Seeing some very distinct similarities here...

eversonpoe
08-29-2012, 08:49 AM
saw the trailer on tv the other day and i got goosebumps all over.

owinn
09-06-2012, 05:46 AM
STILL 100% Rotten Tomatoes rating... (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/)

richardp
09-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Jesus christ this was awesome.

Jinsai
09-22-2012, 01:11 AM
STILL 100% Rotten Tomatoes rating... (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/)

Not anymore. Studios do this frequently with embargoes against the critics that they think will be less favorable (or that they haven't bribed or paid off in some form or another). Some of these critics who get early access are actually studio plants. Wolverine Origins had a near 100% rating until release date, and that was a horrendous piece of shit.

Still, for a sci fi comic book action movie to sit at 78% is still a good average, and better than I expected. I've heard from some friends that the movie is actually really fun.

I find Metacritic to be a more reliable aggregate site for critical opinion though, and it's sitting at 58 percent there.

Fixer808
09-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Is the trailer accurate? Because it looks like he's trying to do a Stallone-face and it comes off as "I'm trying to push out a giant shit".

richardp
09-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Still, for a sci fi comic book action movie to sit at 78% is still a good average, and better than I expected. I've heard from some friends that the movie is actually really fun.

It was one of the most fun films I've seen all year, and a month ago I had 0 expectations for this and thought it looked horrible. It was a fucking blast. It knows what it is and never tries to be anything else. Never once does it take itself seriously. Ignore all your preconceptions and go see it. I guarantee you that you'll have a ton of fun.

marodi
09-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Is the trailer accurate? Because it looks like he's trying to do a Stallone-face and it comes off as "I'm trying to push out a giant shit".

Oh dear; now I won't be able to watch this movie without thinking about this. Fixer, if there was not thousands of miles of the Canadian land between us, I'd go see this with you for shit and giggles.

ltrandazzo
09-23-2012, 02:45 PM

He's trying to do this face -
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld9i4dCxoQ1qcf9q6o1_500.jpg

Which was drawn before the Stallone movie.

Anyway, I saw this today and it was fucking excellent. Great action flick that slightly reminded me of Blade Runner. It has that 80s sci-fi feel and look, and I was very happy to see that not every computer console looked like it came from this decade, but instead looked like it was produced from the 80s. I'm 100% down for another one of these movies, and let's keep the discussion going that Karl Urban can show truly dynamic range when you need him to. Excellent actor in the purest sense of the word.

Rabbit
09-23-2012, 05:00 PM
awesome good time. it really deserves a trilogy

liquidcalm
09-23-2012, 05:10 PM
caught it a few days ago.. annoyed I had to see it in 3d as it hurts my eyes.. but it was worth it. A simple plot, well executed. It was straight to the point, and pleasingly violent in the same way Robocop/Total Recall (the original) are.. So its a thumbs up from me.. The effects and setting were really strong too. Good stuff.

richardp
09-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Holy crap the Robocop and Total Recall comparisons are dead on. Didn't even really think of that, for some reason.

Leman Russ
09-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Saw it Saturday night...loved it. Super violent, really over the top, and highly entertaining. My only complaint was that he didn't tell people he was the law more often.

Hazekiah
09-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Good old SOLIDLY EXECUTED R-rated '80s action movie badassery is pretty much what I was thinking the whole way through, yeah.

Wasn't QUITE on par with the original RoboCop, but then RoboCop is pretty much THE PERFECT MOVIE so it set the bar high and Dredd still came pretty fucking close. I almost stood up and fucking CHEERED when Dredd told the perps "You have twenty seconds to comply," lol. NICE! Wish they would've matched the gore of Murphy's arm-stump better but that was still a pretty nice callback, too.

Slo-Mo was also a great idea and just GLORIOUS in 3D. Echoing the real world with the drones overhead and giving them eagle-esque shapes to tie them in with the Hall of Justice eagle was pretty inspired, too...wish they would've done more with that.

And was anyone else expecting Judge Lex (the leader of the "back-up") to turn out to be a batch-clone of Dredd? It was fine without that tangent, but I still thought for sure they were going that way for a bit. Would've been a cool way to reference one of the few half-decent things about the '90s movie and to maybe even give us a by-proxy peek at Dredd beneath his helmet.

Which, now that I mention it, was the only really awkward thing in the movie. That helmet just wasn't quite right. Always seemed like it was sitting way too high on his head except for a couple scenes. All the more a shame considering how EXQUISITE the Judge's uniforms all were otherwise. Oh, well, the Curse of Magneto's Helmet-That-Won't-Die strikes again, lol. Although these were nowhere NEAR as bad as his, of course. Pretty decent, actually...it just irked me a little now and then.

Urban was great and had the attitude and grimace down just about flawlessly though so the helmet was easy to overlook. Glad they kept Anderson out of hers, too. Olivia Thirlby is just GORGEOUS and I could watch her slink around in leather armor ALL DAY LONG. Damn.

Speaking of this movie's hotties and the X-Men films, btw...Lena Heady NEEDS to play Callisto someday! I couldn't get that pipe dream out of my mind every time she was onscreen. Just sayin'.

The ONLY thing I think they REALLY fucked up on was NOT snagging Manson's "Slo-Mo-Tion" for the soundtrack. WHAT-THE-HOLY-FUCK. It's even the band's current single at the EXACT same time as the movie's release, someone should have MADE that happen. Would've been a perfect fit for SO MANY reasons.

Still, the point is GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

And take a friend or three, ballsy movies with this much integrity and awesomeness need all the help they can get these days, ffs.

Even if you've already seen it then why are you still reading this?

GO SEE THIS MOVIE AGAIN.

NOW.

:)

Leman Russ
09-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Quite a solid review, Hazekiah. Personally, I thought the SLO-MO sequences went on too long, especially Ma-Ma's death scene. Very cool concept, but after the second time seeing it, I felt like "got it, okay, it's enough", but it didn't take anything away from the film.

One thing you failed to mention: the gatling guns scene. Holy crap was that fun to watch.

Sutekh
09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Good. Now bring on the Sinister Dexter movie.

Is 2000ad at all big in America? It was my bible as a kid

Leman Russ
09-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Good. Now bring on the Sinister Dexter movie.

Is 2000ad at all big in America? It was my bible as a kid

Not in my experience. I was a huge comic book reader growing up, and the first time I ever heard of Dredd was when Stallone put on the helmet for 3.4 seconds.

Sutekh
09-28-2012, 03:11 PM
If you like Dredd's grimy world, I IMPLORE you to check out sinister dexter... Dredd & sindex are like metallica and megadeth

shagg_187
09-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Amazing soundtrack is amazing. I have this *love* for drones, beats, electronical mindfucks and... oh wait, this is a nineinchnails forum; I forgot! :P

LOVE THE SOUNDTRACK! http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a403018/dredd-soundtrack-karl-urbans-2000ad-movie-score-in-full-listen.html

Maul
09-28-2012, 05:21 PM
The soundtrack rocks.I'm pumped to see this movie!

shagg_187
09-28-2012, 05:26 PM
The soundtrack rocks.I'm pumped to see this movie!

Hope you won't be disappointed cause I wasn't!

onthewall2983
09-28-2012, 07:00 PM
I put it in the film composer thread, but I thought I'd share this (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/05/drokk-a-soundtrack-to-a-film-that-doesnt-exist-but-actually-it-does), the rejected score composed by Ben Salisbury and Portishead's Geoff Barrow.

Findus
09-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Saw it last night. I liked it. Hopefully we get a sequel or two if ticket sales are strong enough.
I'll definitely be picking up the soundtrack, as well as the Drokk album. Thanks for the heads-up on that, onthewall.

I'll always wonder what Duncan Jones' version of Dredd would have been like, since he mentioned "my Dredd would have been really weird, and dark and funny, but not your traditional introduction to a hero character. I don’t even know if I could have made my version of the film pitch-able. It was maybe too off the wall."

On Duncan Jones' Twitter, he first wrote:
About to see Dredd! Prepare to be judged!

And then afterward:
Peter Travis did a cracking job on Dredd. Really enjoyed it. Two lawgivers up.

JessicaSarahS
09-29-2012, 01:26 AM
I really liked this movie! I went in with super low expectations and just to kill time and came out very entertained! I would not mind watching it again.

bobbie solo
09-29-2012, 11:22 PM
the movie has completely bombed here in the U.S. I don't think there's much chance for a big budget sequel. i wanna see it real bad but havent had time.

Pillfred
10-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Saw it last night and while i wasn't pleased it cost me 12.50 i must say it i really liked it. Will probably go see it again when it hits the cheap seats.

Edit: that part with the High-X towards the end made me laugh out loud pretty hard.

Deadpool
10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Double post. Apologies! Don't hurt me.

Deadpool
10-02-2012, 11:01 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone else: this movie is a grand old time. If you get a chance, I would see it in theaters. Karl Urban is a badass, and Olivia Thirlby was a nice foil to his Dredd - I really enjoyed seeing them on screen together. Lena Headey was appropriately nasty as Ma-Ma, and the slow-motion wasn't overused like I feared it would be. I also liked the score quite a bit. It was refreshing to see an R-rated take on mind-reading, too - that sequence was nicely done.

As far as The Raid comparisons are concerned, I love The Raid, but Dredd proved to me yet again that I'm a sucker for sci-fi - it makes everything better!

I will buy this when it's released on blu-ray!

GoodSoldier333
10-02-2012, 11:48 PM
I was planning on seeing it this Friday, but it looks like they're already yanking it from my theater lol...

Fucking early. Says something about sales i guess..

imail724
01-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Dredd fucking ruled! That is all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

liquidcalm
01-07-2013, 03:05 AM
gonna pick up the Blu-Ray day one, I LOVED this in the cinema, one of my favorite films of last year.

kdrcraig
01-09-2013, 07:10 AM
I blind bought this because of all the great things I heard about it on here and elsewhere. Watched it last night and loved it. Really a shame it kind of flopped at the box office and a continuing series is unlikely, but I guess I didn't help that any cause I didn't go to see it. Karl Urban was awesome in this, as was Lena Heady as always. The scenes when people were on slo-mo were freaking awesome.

DVYDRNS
01-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I cant believe anybody liked this movie? I watched it a couple week ago with my wife. I wanted to shut it off the whole time. it was terrible.

My wife liked it tho... my wife's favorite movie is the original Total Recall.

She likes really stupid cheesy 80's sci fi action movies.

thelastdisciple
01-09-2013, 10:00 AM
The only thing i didn't like about this movie was that there just wasn't much to it. It was done and over with so fast and the fact that it was a box office bomb fucking annoys me because now we probably won't get a sequel..... so this is all we're left with which i mean is more than welcome in comparison to Stallone's Dredd but cripes the setting just felt way too safe and kinda lazy to be honest although i think they had a lot of budget issues? All the setting really did and I'm sure this was the point was to serve as a utility for Dredd to dish out as much ass kicking as possible given the confined quarters which in that respect it was effective, i still just feel like by the end of the movie i hadn't realized i ate all the cookies from the cookie jar and my hand went in to grab another and there was none left.

Maybe I'm too conditioned to long ass movies full of all sorts of story and set pieces like Nolan's Batman trilogy or The Avengers or even Watchmen for that matter. Hrmph.

Loved the soundtrack, loved the cinematography, loved the aesthetics... it was a very "pretty" movie. Acting wasn't that bad and I didn't really mind the 80's feel at all, i was actually almost getting some Terminator or even Robocop kind of vibes. I really really really want a Lawgiver, anybody else think this is one of the coolest sci-fi weapons next to a Lightsaber?

I don't know how anyone could completely hate this movie though, that's disappointing to hear @joymode (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=132) :(

DVYDRNS
01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm gonna donate to this site. if for no other reason I can go around facepalming everything Lt. Randazzo says that i disagree with. which is you know.. pretty much everything.

:)

Fixer808
01-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Huh... Not great, certainly better than the much-mouthed Stallone version, and nobody can deny it was a symphony of savage violence. C+.