PDA

View Full Version : Trent Reznor Writing Theme Song for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Porkins
07-10-2012, 08:54 AM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/07/trent-reznor-composes-theme-song-for-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/

I'll be very interested to see what he cooks up for COD

sheepdean
07-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I can't tell if this means he's writing a piece of music or an actual *song*. It doesn't appear to be NIN or TRAR at any rate

m0reta
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Erm..well @ninwiki (https://twitter.com/ninwiki/status/222695296591859713) linked to Usatoday (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2012/07/interview-trent-reznor-pens-black-ops-ii-theme-song/1) for the interview. Looks like it's just TR.

sheepdean
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Yes, but PHM was also just TR - to my memory, he's never released an actual song as Trent Reznor, but that's not saying he won't.

Wretchedest
07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
He released those Lost Highway tracks as Trent Reznor. And he performed at the Bridge School Benefit in 2006 under his name too.

Anyway, curious to see how this comes out. Still not really interested in the game though...

sheepdean
07-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes but Lost Highway were instrumental - to me, songs are sung. And whilst BSB was released as TR, those were still NIN.

I'll be buying the individual track (or torrenting it if it's not made available without buying the game), but I'm with you Wretchedest, no matter how good the music, COD doesn't draw me in in the slightest.

slave2thewage
07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm torn. I don't normally like these types of games, but given my obsession with TR's music...

The Reason Being
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Looking forward to the hardcore collectors buying 20 different versions of a CoD game, assuming the only physical release of the music is on the game disc itself.

screwdriver
07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm torn. I don't normally like these types of games, but given my obsession with TR's music...

qft; I just saw a commercial for this the other day and rolled my eyes, now I feel compelled to care.

FernandoDante
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Hey, remember this?

http://kotaku.com/5203913/nine-inch-nails-trent-reznor-had-game-design-dreams-once-upon-a-time

"Well, it costs so much to make a game, we're really only interested in sequels or movie tie-ins," Reznor was told.

"I think a lot of the big publishers have gone the route of record labels and movie companies where it costs so much to make a game and they're so obsessed with the idea that games have to be cinematic experiences. Lots of money gets spent on the marketing and the rendering, and not a lot of money gets puts into anything innovative and interesting."

I dunno about you guys, but when I think sequels with cinematic experiences, low innovation and lots of marketing money, I think Call of Duty. Everything since Modern Warfare 2 has been sort of a rehash, hasn't it?

thelastdisciple
07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
"Well, it costs so much to make a game, we're really only interested in sequels or movie tie-ins," Reznor was told.

"I think a lot of the big publishers have gone the route of record labels and movie companies where it costs so much to make a game and they're so obsessed with the idea that games have to be cinematic experiences. Lots of money gets spent on the marketing and the rendering, and not a lot of money gets puts into anything innovative and interesting."

I dunno about you guys, but when I think sequels with cinematic experiences, low innovation and lots of marketing money, I think Call of Duty. Everything since Modern Warfare 2 has been sort of a rehash, hasn't it?
Same with this quote in a 2009 interview with Joystiq

"Would I do music for an everyday game? Meh. I'm not thrilled about the idea, but if someone cool came to me and had this great game, then I'd consider it."

I definitely would have thought a game franchise like Call of Duty would be beneath him, i mean to me that's an "everyday game" but i guess not when there's money involved.....

People change their minds over time i guess, it just seems kind of odd in this situation....

FernandoDante
07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Same with this quote in a 2009 interview with Joystiq

"Would I do music for an everyday game? Meh. I'm not thrilled about the idea, but if someone cool came to me and had this great game, then I'd consider it."

I definitely would have thought a game franchise like Call of Duty would be beneath him, i mean to me that's an "everyday game" but i guess not when there's money involved.....

People change their minds over time i guess, it just seems kind of odd in this situation....

Thanks, that was the other quote I was looking for.

Yeah, I would sooner expect him to get involved with something "fresh" like Portal, rather than with a franchise on its... ninth iteration?

screwdriver
07-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks, that was the other quote I was looking for.

Yeah, I would sooner expect him to get involved with something "fresh" like Portal, rather than with a franchise on its... ninth iteration?

portal is hardly fresh

reznor goes out of his way to say in the interview that doing this was doing the biggest sort of franchise-type game there is out there; I could see why you might turn down your more normal "blockbusters," but this is sort of the biggest of the big. and its not like his history ignores this... Quake and Doom3 were sort of the CoD of their times.

Torgo
07-10-2012, 03:45 PM
portal is hardly fresh

reznor goes out of his way to say in the interview that doing this was doing the biggest sort of franchise-type game there is out there; I could see why you might turn down your more normal "blockbusters," but this is sort of the biggest of the big. and its not like his history ignores this... Quake and Doom3 were sort of the CoD of their times.

Portal is definitely not "fresh" but there's so much there in terms of entertainment and storyline. It's hilarious, fun, challenging, engaging - and it's not the same game with a different map every time...

However, playing Devil's Advocate here - I'm sure there are some people that really enjoy this particular style of game. I'd imagine it'd be like me enjoying Mario Kart and buying each subsequent sequel, where the only thing that has changed is the map choice and some of the weapons. There just seems to be this horrible stereotype surrounding Call of Duty because of the people who *generally* play it...

liquidcalm
07-10-2012, 03:51 PM
just to point out they released a new trailer too which has a few very Reznor-esque notes (an a lot of Inception style blaring noise)
http://kotaku.com/5924817/say-hi-to-black-ops-2s-bad-guys

slave2thewage
07-10-2012, 03:53 PM
It does sound very Reznor-y. And actually good.

screwdriver
07-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Portal is definitely not "fresh" but there's so much there in terms of entertainment and storyline. It's hilarious, fun, challenging, engaging - and it's not the same game with a different map every time...

However, playing Devil's Advocate here - I'm sure there are some people that really enjoy this particular style of game. I'd imagine it'd be like me enjoying Mario Kart and buying each subsequent sequel, where the only thing that has changed is the map choice and some of the weapons. There just seems to be this horrible stereotype surrounding Call of Duty because of the people who *generally* play it...

I mean, I don't really care for either of these games (Portal or CoD) (more of a Skyrim guy, myself), so I think your devil's advocate is actually spot on... and, like, wait a minute, what the hell is wrong with us? the guy we like enough to talk on a message board ABOUT is now doing the theme to the biggest videogame series in history? what an amazing achievement.

slave2thewage
07-10-2012, 04:19 PM
"The biggest videogame series in history?"

Dude, he's not writing the theme for Super Mario Brothers 4 or something.

screwdriver
07-10-2012, 04:22 PM
"The biggest videogame series in history?"

Dude, he's not writing the theme for Super Mario Brothers 4 or something.

ha, but what I wouldn't give for that.

maybe what I said was a bit of hyperbole, but I had just read this list yesterday which is why I said that:
http://www.businessinsider.com/here-are-the-top-10-highest-grossing-video-games-of-all-time-2012-6?op=1

#s 10, 8, and 2. And #1 is sort of not applicable, since its a subscriber game.

Edit: just to clear this up, I was just sort of expressing a sentiment about the game's success, which I think is undeniable. I'm certainly not making any claim as to the cultural staying power of these games or any broader ramifications. just sort of head-checking my own contrary impulses.

slave2thewage
07-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh Trent, why did you have to go for the dudebro crowd?

adrenalinejunkie
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Trent is trending on Twitter. That's kinda cool.

screwdriver
07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Oh Trent, why did you have to go for the dudebro crowd?

I appreciate your (deliberate?) irony in complaining about the dudebro crowd two posts after calling me "dude," bro.

Bonedwarf
07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Song will invariably be ripped or released. Buy that. Fuck the COD bullshit game. "May Contain Content Inappropriate For People Who Like Innovation".

SM Rollinger
07-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I for one was already looking forward to this, its too bad he couldnt have scored the entire game, but understandable though after reading the interview. Plus im sure hes balls deep in the score for The Girl Who Played With Fire with AR

Goldfoot
07-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Plus im sure hes balls deep in the score for The Girl Who Played With Fire with AR

What are you on about? I've not even heard that this film is happening, let alone with Fincher as director, which I assume is the only way TR&AR would score it.

As for COD, I think this is the right game for him to be involved with. Treyarch is really trying to push in a new direction, though most of you don't seem to have any idea about that. I'm a big COD player and Treyarch is definitely the better company in the series. Their approach to this next game is also one that I feel will benefit from having Reznor make the theme. I'm excited.

sheepdean
07-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I for one was already looking forward to this, its too bad he couldnt have scored the entire game, but understandable though after reading the interview. Plus im sure hes balls deep in the score for The Girl Who Played With Fire with AR
Yeah, no. TRAR aren't confirmed for it, AR is still doing 47 Ronin I think (not to mention other stuff that he's started).

Mantra
07-10-2012, 08:19 PM
COD is basically the worst video game franchise currently going.

I mean, it's literally the last game I would have ever hoped for Trent to be a part of, but whatever.

jessamineny
07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Eh, let the man pad his children's college funds. We'll get something cool to listen to in any case.

Mantra
07-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Well damn, I would have thought the college funds would be covered by now, what with being a big-selling artist with years of successful touring, not to mention recently scoring two major hollywood films. What the fuck kinda school is he planning to send them to?

Frozen Beach
07-10-2012, 09:04 PM
You guys are whining about as hard as the people who actually play the games and constantly get owned.

Mantra
07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Well come on, this is like the Tomb Raider soundtrack all over again. This is a time for solemness and mourning.

Hang your NIN flags at half-mast everyone.

Paper Street
07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
What are you on about? I've not even heard that this film is happening, let alone with Fincher as director, which I assume is the only way TR&AR would score it.

As for COD, I think this is the right game for him to be involved with. Treyarch is really trying to push in a new direction, though most of you don't seem to have any idea about that. I'm a big COD player and Treyarch is definitely the better company in the series. Their approach to this next game is also one that I feel will benefit from having Reznor make the theme. I'm excited.

I completely agree with you. Treyarch studios is attempting to do something different with the franchise which is very refreshing. Also considering that the story for COD:BLOPS2 has David S. Goyer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_S._Goyer) attached means it could be something very interesting.

EDIT: Oh, and you guys realize that the COD franchise is popular for a reason right? It does what it does unapologetically well and no one has done it better yet.

orestes
07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Well damn, I would have thought the college funds would be covered by now, what with being a big-selling artist with years of successful touring, not to mention recently scoring two major hollywood films. What the fuck kinda school is he planning to send them to?

Ahahahahahaha.

Mantra
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
^yeah i know they lost money with some of those tours, like I remember him saying something about losing money on those european shows after year zero came out i think. what the fuck do i know.

I mean, if he really needs the money, whatever, but I was kinda under the impression he was doing alright. Not that it's any of my business, obviously, I'm just saying, it was way more understandable when Saul Williams did the Nike commercial than when Led Zeppelin did their car commercial thing.

I suppose he may also legitimately love the game. That might might be worse though. I thought he was supposed to have good taste or something.

BenAkenobi
07-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Perhaps the game's futuristic setting will have some ties with Year Zero story. Seems feasible.

adrenalinejunkie
07-10-2012, 11:46 PM
The idiots are really out in full force in this thread. Trent likes the games. The games are extremely popular and are mindlessly fun to play online. Treyarch is trying to make a good singleplayer experience akin to the first Modern Warfare and the earlier CoD games. Trent was asked to do the theme song. Trent said yes. Easy as that. Now hush.

BRoswell
07-11-2012, 01:47 AM
I don't think Trent is selling out just because he decided to do this, just like I don't think he and Atticus sold out when they did The Social Network score (gah, I can still hear complaints about that). He's a fan who was asked to do something for a game series he enjoys. I'm sure he's getting paid nicely for this, but I'm willing to bet that wasn't his sole motivation.

Goldfoot
07-11-2012, 01:57 AM
I don't think Trent is selling out just because he decided to do this, just like I don't think he and Atticus sold out when they did The Social Network score (gah, I can still hear complaints about that). He's a fan who was asked to do something for a game series he enjoys. I'm sure he's getting paid nicely for this, but I'm willing to bet that wasn't his sole motivation.

If money was his motivation in these sort of cases, why did he reject Fincher's first offer for The Social Network? I'm sure after winning an Academy Award he got plenty of offers to score other movies, and yet, if that happened, he rejected them. People are going to bitch and there's little to nothing you can do to make them change their mind.

MAD
07-11-2012, 02:58 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

↑ Battlefield player

Oh, I feel...so..much...pain. It's like seeing your girlfriend kissing the guy you hate!

Oh, the horror!

slave2thewage
07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Bitches gotta make dem dollahs.

SM Rollinger
07-11-2012, 09:09 AM

Im just going off assumptions, i heard well before GWDTT came out that Fincher was making new films based off all three from the books. It was so long ago i cant give a link or anything, it might have been on TV/Radio that I heard about it. I havent heard confromation that TRAR are doing the score but it would make sense though. If they dint, i would totally kill the contunity of the films. Come on guys, TR's a perfectionist. This has been know since like TDS days.

I agree with you on the Treyarchs defenitaly the better company for COD, especiay since IW fell apart acouple years back. The final product that ended up being MW3 felt like a half finished game, especially considering that they had to bring Sledgehammer in to finish it after half the studio left.

Black ops 2 is going to kick ass, the fiction that Treyarch has developed here is awesome.

People are really freaking out here! I would have loved to TR do the sound design for like say, Halo 4 instead though. But they got a guy thats associated with Massive Attack for that project (help me out guys, i forget his name. Neil something?)

fillow
07-11-2012, 10:01 AM
I hope the new track is so badass it will make Tetsuo theme sound like Mozart

jessamineny
07-11-2012, 10:16 AM
^yeah i know they lost money with some of those tours, like I remember him saying something about losing money on those european shows after year zero came out i think. what the fuck do i know.

I mean, if he really needs the money, whatever, but I was kinda under the impression he was doing alright. Not that it's any of my business, obviously, I'm just saying, it was way more understandable when Saul Williams did the Nike commercial than when Led Zeppelin did their car commercial thing.

I suppose he may also legitimately love the game. That might might be worse though. I thought he was supposed to have good taste or something.

What exactly the fuck are your panties all in a wad about? It probably took the man all of a long weekend to make the damn music. Not like it took precious time away from anything you deem worthy of his time.

It made him money. It was probably really fun to make. It keeps his name out there while he's working on other shit. Maybe the dudebros will even buy his next album now. Go wash out your panties.

Conan The Barbarian
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I agree, some people here are over reacting. It isn't like he is judging on American idol or something stupid like that. Regardless, he has the right to do whatever the fuck he wants.

sheepdean
07-11-2012, 11:19 AM
I hope the new track is so badass it will make Tetsuo theme sound like Mozart
Wait, are you saying Mozart is bad? I'm confused

orestes
07-11-2012, 12:11 PM
I agree, some people here are over reacting. It isn't like he is judging on American idol or something stupid like that. Regardless, he has the right to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Well, we are talking about NIN fans.

Torgo
07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Well, we are talking about NIN fans.

And it certainly has been a while since they were allowed to whine, so the reaction level is on code RED right now.

SM Rollinger
07-11-2012, 01:34 PM
And it certainly has been a while since they were allowed to whine, so the reaction level is on code RED right now.

lol! but seriously people, come on! I remember a time when we had to wait YEARS before we would hear anything new at all from Trent! Its been practicaly every couple months now since he left interscope that we get some new song/project/ect. There has never been a better time to be a NIN fan than now. IMO, the more "pop culture" Trent can put his mark on, the better.

jessamineny
07-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Unless you're playing over in the nin.com forums, I think you're vastly (and curiously) overstating this. There's barely two pages here, with just a few people who are easily ignored/slapped down.

Deadpool
07-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I kinda freaked out when I read the news - not because I'm a huge fan of the COD series, though I have no problem saying I own Modern Warfare 2 and the original Black Ops - but because it's new music from TR! Not only that, it's written specifically for a (major) video-game. That alone is super cool. It could be a series I have no interest in, and it wouldn't matter. I'm a fan of video-games in general, so my favorite artist stepping in to write something for anything within that realm is pretty awesome. It doesn't hurt that I had no way of predicting this, so I equate it to found money. It's a pleasant, interesting way to ease the wait for the HTDA full-length, too - we may even get that LP before Black Ops is released.

I'm honestly curious how the song will be used in the game. I wasn't planning on buying or playing it prior to this news, but again, I enjoy the games, so I could be swayed in situations like these.

I'm specifically wondering if the theme song will be more of a title-screen/intro cut-scene track, or if it'll be more akin to the use of "Tears" by HEALTH in Max Payne 3 (in that it's actually cued during gameplay). I'm thinking and hoping it'll be the latter. I found HEALTH's score for Max Payne to be quite effective, but 2 of the most memorable sequences were definitely the more song-based moments like "Tears" and "Severin" in the final stages.

EDIT: I love that Trent is a Heavy Rain fan.

Goldfoot
07-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Im just going off assumptions, i heard well before GWDTT came out that Fincher was making new films based off all three from the books. It was so long ago i cant give a link or anything, it might have been on TV/Radio that I heard about it. I havent heard confromation that TRAR are doing the score but it would make sense though. If they dint, i would totally kill the contunity of the films. Come on guys, TR's a perfectionist. This has been know since like TDS days.

Fair enough, but after Dragon Tattoo, Fincher has another project going and it was never confirmed that the studio would even do the other two, let alone with Fincher directing. At least, last I checked.

I agree with you on the Treyarchs defenitaly the better company for COD, especiay since IW fell apart acouple years back. The final product that ended up being MW3 felt like a half finished game, especially considering that they had to bring Sledgehammer in to finish it after half the studio left.

Yeah, IW became a mess shortly after the release of MW2. Black Ops, while maybe not graphically superior, is a much better game in my opinion. Plus it's got Zombies, which is a huge added bonus for online players. So much so that Treyarch have completely revamped their approach to Zombies and I'm very much looking forward to BO2. MW3's release arrived without any anticipation from me, as did the original BO, but after playing BO and seeing how much Treyarch did right, I'm really excited. It's really easy for people to say that each game is a rehash since there are a lot of things that are kept consistent, but while MW2 and MW3 are VERY similar, BO is very different. Other than the basic gameplay mechanics and idea, there's so much that Treyarch did differently than IW. Bungie made all the Halo games, correct? I don't see as much hate on those game for being repetitive, and yet when I played Halo 2 and 3, it felt like the same thing. I'm not an active Halo player, so I can't be sure that they're just rehashing, but I don't go around bitching that they are, either.

People are really freaking out here! I would have loved to TR do the sound design for like say, Halo 4 instead though. But they got a guy thats associated with Massive Attack for that project (help me out guys, i forget his name. Neil something?)

I had to look this up because it was news to me and got me excited. Neil Davidge is the person you are referring to, and even though I'm a huge Massive Attack fan, I wasn't sure who this guy is. I thought you meant one of the two main guys from MA, but Neil is their producer. Still cool, and I'll be interested to hear what he does.

Torgo
07-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Unless you're playing over in the nin.com forums, I think you're vastly (and curiously) overstating this. There's barely two pages here, with just a few people who are easily ignored/slapped down.

I was partly joking and basing my statement on the array of comments made in various areas in the interwebs, not just here.

Also - I think, in general, people are just excited that something has been announced. Even if Trent had announced something as mundane as a tuna sandwich on wheat being his next choice for lunch - someone, somewhere would have lamented his poor choice of bread.

SM Rollinger
07-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I was partly joking and basing my statement on the array of comments made in various areas in the interwebs, not just here.

Also - I think, in general, people are just excited that something has been announced. Even if Trent had announced something as mundane as a tuna sandwich on wheat being his next choice for lunch - someone, somewhere would have lamented his poor choice of bread.
lol
mulitgrain > wheat though, so id have to agree. poor choice indeed

sick among the pure
07-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Wow, you guys, fuck. I guess I shouldn't have gotten SO FUCKING EXCITED that Trent wrote a song for a video game about futuristic war bullshit that I can totally see tying in with YZ.
But, yeah, since people hate a game that hasn't even come out because they have an opinion on previous games put out by a different company, bwah bwah bwah.

I have Black Ops 2 pre-ordered, it's my birthday present, this only makes it better. Bitch all you want about how you don't like the game, WE'RE GETTING A NEW SONG FROM TRENT. WE GOT CONFIRMATION THAT HTDA MUSIC IS BEING TWEAKED AND WE'RE ABOUT TO GET A LOT OF COOL SHIT FROM THAT. WE GOT CONFORMATION THAT HE'S WORKING ON NEW NIN.

I can see why sometimes Trent gets pissed at his fans. A lot of us are thank-less douches. I seriously want to face-palm most of the posts in here, and hope Teitan doesn't come around and see them.

joplinpicasso
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I just want more announcements about his beard.

SM Rollinger
07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
song for a video game about futuristic war bullshit that I can totally see tying in with YZ.
that was the first thing i thought when i saw the new trailer too, this is totally something along the lines of the bleak, dystopian future painted by Year Zero. futuristic cold war with china over natural resources and cyber-hacking terrorisim type stuff

I just want more announcements about his beard.
beard is old news man, im waiting for word on when the zorro look is returning!

sheepdean
07-11-2012, 04:55 PM
So, is the music in the new trailer the whole thing do we think, or is it longer than that? Title themes for games seem to get shorter and shorter these days.

Amaro
07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Please, with the YZ2 connection speculation... I'll eat my hair.

AgentofChaos
07-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm not a big fan of these types of games, but they can be fun at times. I'm just looking at this as a pure bonus, hopefully this ends up as some kind of cool cousin to the Bullet Man theme, which I loved. It might convince me to pick up the game, it may not. I'll play the wait and see approach, I haven't much of a big gamer these days, although that definitely goes in waves for me.

I mostly just care that the HTDA album is done. So I only see good news here.

botley
07-11-2012, 06:02 PM
WE GOT CONFORMATION
:thumbsup:

Mantra
07-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Well of course I'm excited about the new song itself. If he had a song on a My Little Pony game I'd be excited. I just personally think the COD franchise is like the Nickelback of video games, so I felt like this particular licensing choice was kind of unfortunate, but whatever. I guess someone facepalmed my Tomb Raider comparison, but I think it was pretty applicable: terrible movie, good song. I'm sure this'll be a similar thing, where I just play the mp3 and forget where it came from. I see little reason here for anyone to seem dismayed about nin fans, just because a few of us don't like the cod games. Everybody's still happy about the music.

edit: goddamnit, that's the second time in the thread i got the top of the page. fuck.

anyway, I'm not gonna keep on about this, i've said my opinion, and i don't want to derail the discussion or anything so I'll probably duck out of this conversation now.

sick among the pure
07-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Please, with the YZ2 connection speculation... I'll eat my hair.

I don't think anyone's saying it's connected to YZ, I know I'm not. Just mentioning that the theme behind Black Ops, and from what we know about Black Ops 2, is along the some vein. So we can see WHY he did this.

sick among the pure
07-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Well of course I'm excited about the new song itself. If he had a song on a My Little Pony game I'd be excited. I just personally think the COD franchise is like the Nickelback of video games, so I felt like this particular licensing choice was kind of unfortunate, but whatever. I guess someone facepalmed my Tomb Raider comparison, but I think it was pretty applicable: terrible movie, good song. I'm sure this'll be a similar thing, where I just play the mp3 and forget where it came from. I see little reason here for anyone to seem dismayed about nin fans, just because a few of us don't like the cod games. Everybody's still happy about the music.

It's because instead of everyone being all "yay we are getting a new song and we got conformation for a bunch of awesome shit coming up" everyone's bitching "I hate this game that I haven't even played because past games made by a different developer were dumb dumb dumb!" Leave it to NIN fans to bitch when they get news of new music, because of the source.

Amaro
07-11-2012, 06:24 PM
It was quite the surprise for me to hear, but even more so to read that he respects the game or whatever... I'd be lying if I said otherwise. Whateva, B. Whateva.

It's cool he's branching into video games, though, I hope it only keeps up.

PhoenixML
07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
It's because instead of everyone being all "yay we are getting a new song and we got conformation for a bunch of awesome shit coming up" everyone's bitching "I hate this game that I haven't even played because past games made by a different developer were dumb dumb dumb!" Leave it to NIN fans to bitch when they get news of new music, because of the source.

Regardless of NIN, CoD has always been a hot topic of "love it or hate it" among gamers. Or more precisely, "hate it", because if you love it, you're not on any forum wasting time, you're play one of the CoD.

SM Rollinger
07-11-2012, 06:41 PM
So, is the music in the new trailer the whole thing do we think, or is it longer than that? Title themes for games seem to get shorter and shorter these days.

Id bet the first couple seconds (the piano) is the new song, but the rest of it is doubtful though. Sounds more like youre traditional CoD music, and not what TR described in that interview.

Goldfoot
07-11-2012, 06:50 PM
if you love it, you're not on any forum wasting time, you're play one of the CoD.

Which is what I might be doing if I had a reliable internet connection. I should be in a position to have one by the time BO2 comes out, and it's going to be great to hear Mr. Reznor every time I turn on the game. I know I'm going to spend days of playtime on that game, in all three modes. Mostly Zombies and Multiplayer, but for as frustrating as the games can be, when they work well for you, it's a fantastic time. When shit's going your way, you feel unstoppable. I got a MOAB in a 4v4 Domination game one time. It was such an incredible feeling, but at the same time, I've gone on deathstreaks of like 10.

I can understand hate for any type of game; it comes down to your preference. Halo isn't my thing, but I don't actively say it's a shitty game. The point here, as has been mentioned, is that he IS still making music and progress on other projects was mentioned. I have to say I disagree with the whole Tomb Raider analogy Mantra mentioned, and not because I like these games. How many people ACTUALLY like Deep? Seriously.

Amaro
07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
I genuinely like Deep. It helps when you're not someone who cares about any song's lyrics. I simply haven't ever cared to listen to/for them.

screwdriver
07-11-2012, 09:04 PM
The point here, as has been mentioned, is that he IS still making music and progress on other projects was mentioned. I have to say I disagree with the whole Tomb Raider analogy Mantra mentioned, and not because I like these games. How many people ACTUALLY like Deep? Seriously.

I actually unapologetically like Deep. I think its a great track.

Blackbookpress1984
07-11-2012, 09:34 PM
While not thrilled about the area of release, I am excited to see what happens. I think you guys are bitching about the wring things. You should be happy tr is still making new music. If its in a game, so what, just don't buy the game.

sheepdean
07-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Deep is a brilliant song

Vertigo
07-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Regardless of NIN, CoD has always been a hot topic of "love it or hate it" among gamers. Or more precisely, "hate it", because if you love it, you're not on any forum wasting time, you're play one of the CoD.

Exactly. In my opinion, this isn't an example of NIN fans being negative so much as the polarising effect of Call of Duty.

For my part, I've played demos or matches at friends' houses for four different CoD titles and not enjoyed a single one, and I'm an FPS fan. The series' popularity is a mystery to me. With that said, any new material from Trent is something to be excited about. Furthermore, the last time he created a singular theme song the result was the Tetsuo theme, which absolutely blows my mind every time I hear it - and I've never seen the film it's representing, so I'm sure the new song will be amazing whether taken in the context of CoD or not.

Space Suicide
07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm stoked regardless.

FernandoDante
07-12-2012, 05:23 PM
portal is hardly fresh

I think Portal was the freshest breath of air into the gaming world since Half-Life. A fantastic way to put the player's experience ahead of any other factors. It thrills and entertains you constantly, and it's the funniest game in years. Then Portal 2 came along and managed to make that even better, for more than twice as long. Yes, they are puzzle games, but the way they incorporate all the non-gameplay elements into the game is what makes it "fresh" for me, and I wish I'd see it more often.

While we're at it, the soundtracks for Half-Life 2 (inc. Episodes 1 and 2) and Portal (1 and 2) remind me of Nine Inch Nails in all the right ways. Not that they sound anything alike, but that they're brilliantly constructed, moody electronic soundtracks. I just tend to think that Valve can't do any wrong. IMO, no single-player FPS since Half-Life 2 has surpassed that experience; no competitive multiplayer game has been as addictive as Team Fortress 2; and no co-op multiplayer game has been quite as exciting as Left 4 Dead (1 & 2). And I've said enough about Portal.

Vertigo
07-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I think Portal was the freshest breath of air into the gaming world since Half-Life. A fantastic way to put the player's experience ahead of any other factors. It thrills and entertains you constantly, and it's the funniest game in years. Then Portal 2 came along and managed to make that even better, for more than twice as long. Yes, they are puzzle games, but the way they incorporate all the non-gameplay elements into the game is what makes it "fresh" for me, and I wish I'd see it more often.

While we're at it, the soundtracks for Half-Life 2 (inc. Episodes 1 and 2) and Portal (1 and 2) remind me of Nine Inch Nails in all the right ways. Not that they sound anything alike, but that they're brilliantly constructed, moody electronic soundtracks. I just tend to think that Valve can't do any wrong. IMO, no single-player FPS since Half-Life 2 has surpassed that experience; no competitive multiplayer game has been as addictive as Team Fortress 2; and no co-op multiplayer game has been quite as exciting as Left 4 Dead (1 & 2). And I've said enough about Portal.

Agreed on Portal...
Half-Life 2 I think is massively overrated, but HL1 did a lot to introduce cinematic, immersive, story-led gameplay into the FPS genre (for better or worse...). And HL2's Episodes I absolutely love, as they expand on the story-led premise by serialising the narrative, and heighten the sense of immersion by an order of magnitude with the introduction of companion NPCs (fixing one of my major gripes with HL2, that you don't spend enough time with the NPCs to develop any attachment).
Team Fortress 2 is, to me, how Unreal Tournament 2003 was back in the day - irritating and flawed, but compelling enough to keep playing in the absence of anything better. Anyone know of a decent old-school arena FPS doing the rounds at the moment?
Left 4 Dead's great, an incredibly well-realised take on a previously neglected genre. It's been amusing to see them resurrect a number of game concepts from 1999's Aliens vs Predator, as Valve's own Half-Life was the main reason those ideas were forgotten in the first place.

I do think Valve's the most vital developer in the world today, but wouldn't quite go so far as to say everything they touch turns to gold.

/thread derailment. Sorry everyone....

ThinkIcouldburn
07-12-2012, 09:00 PM
I hope this isn't the new music Trent was saying we'd hear before the end of the year.

sa_nick
07-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Hope there's a soundtrack release coz fuck buying the game.

sheepdean
07-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Hope there's a soundtrack release coz fuck buying the game.
COD released all of Hans Zimmer's music, and as Trent is only doing one track, I'm sure it will be on the release, with his name unreasonably big on the cover and marketing devices.

However, I DO hope those of you who get the game and know how to rip BDs will get the 5.1 mix off of it ;)

WorzelG
07-13-2012, 08:34 AM
I see this soundtrack work as becoming more like a day job for Trent, not something to spend time over-analyzing. It's a way to bring money in without touring for a year or releasing deluxe things that end up becoming a big pain in the arse! Most people have to do this to fund what they actually love doing. I'll probably get the game though, I heard zombies were in it

BenAkenobi
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
COD released all of Hans Zimmer's music, and as Trent is only doing one track, I'm sure it will be on the release, with his name unreasonably big on the cover and marketing devices.

However, I DO hope those of you who get the game and know how to rip BDs will get the 5.1 mix off of it ;)

knowing how id Tech 3 games usually work, it'll be as simple as unzipping an mp3 (or ogg) file

sick among the pure
07-13-2012, 10:45 AM

If someone wants to walk a fairly tech-challenged somebody through it, I'm certain you'd be rewarded with a PM from someone around 1am or so the night it comes out.

NIN64
07-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Didn't see this linked here anywhere. It mentions Trent.

http://youtu.be/KQv90T800kw

owinn
07-14-2012, 11:05 AM
CoD in my view has seemed like a pretty stale franchise and Activision have a reputation for being the most hated company in gaming thanks to Bobby Kotick, but at the end of the day it's a deathmatch game, NIN even had Activision thanked in the Year Zero liner notes - Trent appears to be a big fan and there's more than enough controversy surrounding these games to make them attractive to a guy who was reported to love how politically incorrect Id Software were with Doom etc. And who knew these games were actually fun if you take them as standalone games rather than a series. He really likes CoD, so do an enormous number of gamers so lets not be so quick to judge. Clint Mansell did the music for Mass Effect 3 recently and let's not kid ourselves that it was some quaint little indie game - that was as big for EA as CoD is for Activision, nobody was saying Clint sold out, hell most gamers and fans were all for it, good on him getting his name out there. So you don't like CoD, who gives a shit? Play some Mass Effect, Skyrim or some Super Mario Galaxy if that's more your thing, just don't pretend like the companies who make these games aren't filthy rich no matter how incredible they are and remember that you may not understand it but plenty dislike the franchise you're into as much as you dislike theirs.

gorast
07-14-2012, 01:25 PM
I see this soundtrack work as becoming more like a day job for Trent, not something to spend time over-analyzing. It's a way to bring money in without touring for a year or releasing deluxe things that end up becoming a big pain in the arse!
Oh you mean like the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack?

I don't play the CoD games so I don't care about the game itself, so long as we get a decent quality version of the track.

Frozen Beach
07-14-2012, 03:38 PM
So, since Trent Reznor admits he plays COD online, I wonder if I've played with him or against him. I wonder if I've pissed him off or he's pissed me off. Do you guys think he's the kind of guy to smash his controller when he gets pissed off? I'm sure he does. It's not like he can't afford another one. When he get's pissed off at a videogame, does he scream "SOMETHING'S GOING TO GET BROKEN!"?

dominik
07-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I wonder how he decides under which name he releases new soundtrack music, since the song for Tetsuo is a NIN song.

sick among the pure
07-14-2012, 06:59 PM
So, since Trent Reznor admits he plays COD online, I wonder if I've played with him or against him. I wonder if I've pissed him off or he's pissed me off. Do you guys think he's the kind of guy to smash his controller when he gets pissed off? I'm sure he does. It's not like he can't afford another one. When he get's pissed off at a videogame, does he scream "SOMETHING'S GOING TO GET BROKEN!"?

Before I even got to the quote I was thinking the exact same thing (not the have I played against him but the does he rage). I think it's be fun to game with or against him, when he was doing the meet and greets to raise money for the boy, the fanboy in me was all "I just want a hug and to sit down and play video games with him". Then again, he'd probably face-palm at me, for CoD my username is TH3_G00D_S0LD13R, my black ops icon (since you can draw it) is a backwards black capital N with a white background, and my clan is always NIN. I'm a nerd, I know.

Maurish
07-14-2012, 07:31 PM
When he get's pissed off at a videogame, does he scream "SOMETHING'S GOING TO GET BROKEN!"?
Or maybe he'll cut someone's head open with a microphone stand... I mean with a keyboard/gamepad.
I'm sure Vrenna thought he was quite safe behind the drum kit.

Here are some links in case someone is interested what is being referred to (using html tags to avoid the auto embedded).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUeC236vbkM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzeAZmkaImE

slave2thewage
07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
I would love to get into an online match against a user called "teitan". I bet the obscenity levels would be through the roof.

cashpiles (closed)
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
COD: Black Ops 2 lyrics are up at http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/

all you've known
laid to waste
loved ones at the gates of hell
in the enemy's hands
pride stripped away

when your walls of security
have fallen to ruins
when there's nowhere left to hide
with the blood of your father in your
tear stained eyes
will you answer
the call of duty?

forced to watch
the rape of my daughter
they murdered my dearest friend
down the road
ashes in the sky
thunder at the strike of dawn
is this the price we must pay?

have fallen to ruins
tear stained eyes
will you answer
the call of duty?

have fallen to ruins
tear stained eyes
will you answer
the call of duty?

Torgo
07-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Oh, Cashpiles.

FernandoDante
07-17-2012, 04:38 PM
cod: Black ops 2 lyrics are up at http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/

will you answer
the call of duty?
hahhahahaahhahahaa

dominik
07-17-2012, 05:40 PM
why is trent credited in this trailer if he only wrote one song

sheepdean
07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
why is trent credited in this trailer if he only wrote one song
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1d4WIMZPeSs/T9bA12wtoII/AAAAAAAACRU/rGZrUr5VJXM/s1600/money-eyes.jpg

DigitalChaos
07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
So we can see WHY he did this.
My reply in another thread:
After watching the trailer and noticing the obvious link to the "Kony 2012" retardation (who used NIN music in their viral video), I have to wonder if Trent got a slight bit of vindication from doing the music on this.

I have no idea, it is just something that crossed my mind when watching the trailer. I was happy to hear new music from him is all.

Harry Seaward
07-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Where did you find those lyrics? I can't see them anywhere on that stupid site.

DF118
07-17-2012, 09:10 PM

It's cashpiles.

Torgo
07-18-2012, 01:06 AM

It's in the page source files.

WorzelG
07-18-2012, 03:02 AM
A lot seems to have been made of Activision hiring Oliver North, but somehow I just don't seem to care or be outraged by that and I don't even like the Call of Duty games, my brother bought me Modern Warfare 2 and I finished halfway but didn't bother with the rest of it. Should I be outraged?

shagg_187
07-18-2012, 12:11 PM
New behind the scenes video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QP3_8y8uzk

Corey Bloom
07-18-2012, 02:04 PM
is that part of the song in that video? and why do they keep saying hes composing the whole score if hes just doing the theme song?

xfocalinx
07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
i HOPE he's doing the whole thing. that'd RULE.

FernandoDante
07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
COD: Black Ops 2 lyrics are up at http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/

all you've known
laid to waste
loved ones at the gates of hell
in the enemy's hands
pride stripped away

have fallen to ruins
tear stained eyes
will you answer
the call of duty?

forced to watch
the rape of my daughter
they murdered my dearest friend
down the road
ashes in the sky
thunder at the strike of dawn
is this the price we must pay?

have fallen to ruins
tear stained eyes
will you answer
the call of duty?

have fallen to ruins
tear stained eyes
will you answer
the call of duty?
I can picture Bon Jovi singing this. Totally.

"OHHHHHHHH WILLYAAA ANNNNNNNSWEHH...

*TAN-TAN*
THE CALLL OF DUTEHHHHHHHHHHHYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Reaps
07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah thats part of it, sounds pretty cool to me. I thought he was only doing the theme, not the soundtrack unless the theme is repeated in various forms during the game, like the what CM did on the 'moon' soundtrack. I guess we'll find out soon.

fortheloveofgod
07-18-2012, 02:55 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/47202-preview-trent-reznors-call-of-duty-music/

Pitchfork picked it up. Says the music in the video is TR's

slave2thewage
07-18-2012, 05:05 PM
It's in the page source files.
That "24.21.2" is interesting...

THE JOHNNY ROOK
07-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Kinda wishing the headline read... "Trent Reznor Writing Theme Song for Battlefield 4"....

Jurst sayin....

BenAkenobi
07-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Kinda wishing the headline read... "Trent Reznor Writing Theme Song for Battlefield DOOM 4"....

Jurst sayin....

fixed it for ya

WorzelG
07-20-2012, 02:12 AM
fixed it for ya

Do we know he hasn't done music for Doom 4 - when is it even out?

sheepdean
07-20-2012, 03:56 AM
Do we know he hasn't done music for Doom 4 - when is it even out?
Didn't he actually say that he's not doing Doom 4 though? Some fan interview or another, might've been TimesTalks

BenAkenobi
07-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Those were last year's news though. I personally wouldn't hold against id if they kept the surprise and signed Reznor without huge media exposure ;)

wizfan
07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
The track sounds amazing.

peanoot3
08-14-2012, 03:52 PM
A few gameplay videos were posted very recently and the beginning of each video has a snippet of the loading screen with music, and there's subtle music in the gameplay background as well. If Trent is, in fact, composing the entire score for the game; the music is more than likely his. Here's one of a few videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0780E8mBpQ&feature=relmfu

sheepdean
08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
He's not doing the entire score

peanoot3
08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
See, that's what I thought... because, I've seen that he's just doing the theme for the game. I also seen things about him doing the score, but I assumed it was attributed to confusion.

ike_krull
08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
The theme will be on the soundtrack CD included with the Hardened and Prestige editions:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/909961-black-ops-ii-prestige-and-hardened-editions-revealed

gorast
08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Well at least now we know we'll have a high-quality version of the track when the game's released.

ninperu
08-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi, anyone know if the soundtrack is going to be available separately from the game?

SM Rollinger
09-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Im sure it will be, you can find the scores for all the other CoDs retail no problem, so i dont see why this would be any different.

I myself am just buying the Hardened version, i was super psyched for this game even before the TR announcement so this will save me from having to buy the score seperate. As cool as the care package is, i dont need worthless junk cluttering up my already cluttered apartment.

I just dont understand why these games get so much hate, ive always played them and loved them, ever since the original on PC back in the day. Aside from the spin-off's, all of the "core" games have been wonderful. Yeah the multiplayer can be unbalanced, but the last couple years have seen actual post-release suppot from the developer, and thats helped the banlance issue alot. With BO2, it sounds like their going to have alot of options for dialing in the weapons post release, with the ability to modify the aim assist timing and strength. And by having all perks only effect the player stats, with weapon attachments affecting weapon chareteristics, it sounds like this will be the most balanced experence yet.

Its just too bad that their not bringing the dedicated servers to counsel like the are with the PC crowd. Lag assist sucks ass in MW3, it punishes you for having a good connection and slaps a handicap on your ping. And dont even get me started about the lag on Black Ops!! i really hope they get this crap figured out better

Anyways, for the song, the parts that i can make out of the various trailers its been, sounds great. I always get excited for new TR material!

sick among the pure
09-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Just putting this out there, my roomie is getting the Care Package edition, so I'll be home with the sound track after launch, if anyone wants to... talk.

xfocalinx
09-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Welp, JUST because Trent is doing the theme, I HAVE To get the hardened edition.

Fixer808
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
I got your "hardened edition" right here.

sick among the pure
09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
I got your "hardened edition" right here.

But Trent isn't on it.

FernandoDante
10-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Stupid, guitar-y music here:

http://www.giantbomb.com/treyarch-lays-out-what-elite-users-can-expect-from-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/17-6686/

I hope it's not the theme.

Leviathant
10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Stupid, guitar-y music here:

http://www.giantbomb.com/treyarch-lays-out-what-elite-users-can-expect-from-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/17-6686/

I hope it's not the theme.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say "That doesn't sound like anything Trent's ever done and so it's probably not the theme."

FernandoDante
10-17-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say "That doesn't sound like anything Trent's ever done and so it's probably not the theme."
Well how about this one?

http://youtu.be/F6vOWbJ46XU

sheepdean
10-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Do video game soundtracks have For Your Consideration samplers?

wizfan
10-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Maybe, if they submit stuff to the G.A.N.G. (http://www.audiogang.org/) (Game Audio Network Guild).

gorast
10-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Maybe, if they submit stuff to the G.A.N.G. (http://www.audiogang.org/) (Game Audio Network Guild).
Will it be in six parts with three variations of the same thing?

Ruined
10-25-2012, 02:28 AM
I hope Trent goes the extremely lazy route and merely rehashes "The Hand That Feeds." Specifically, I hope he keeps all the music (and lyrics) from the original song and only changes the line, "Will you bite the hand that feeds you?" to: "Will you heed the call of duty/Will you stay down on your knees?" Now THAT would make all the hype worth the purchase of the Hardened Edition!

BenAkenobi
10-25-2012, 03:39 AM
I hope Trent goes the extremely lazy route and merely rehashes "The Hand That Feeds." Specifically, I hope he keeps all the music (and lyrics) from the original song and only changes the line, "Will you bite the hand that feeds you?" to: "Will you heed the call of duty/Will you stay down on your knees ass?" Now THAT would make all the hype worth the purchase of the Hardened Edition!

fixed to reflect videogaming “traditions”

peanoot3
10-27-2012, 03:17 PM
You can pre-order the album/song here. It has samples with an "Orchestral Mix", too. The release date is November 13th. I'm liking the song length...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HzlomMOFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-II/dp/B009XHDJXG/ (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XHDJXG/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=etsound-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B009XHDJXG&adid=0WE0DHEYE312S1170YY5)

gorast
10-27-2012, 11:46 PM
5:38, very good, very good. I'd forgotten about this thing for a few months, but now I'm excited again.

Shnoorum
10-28-2012, 11:00 PM
The sampler has really kind of put me off. Theres just something about it that I really dont like. I suppose I've never been much of a fan of wartimey type music. Still theres an extra 5 minutes I haven't heard yet so I shant pass any judgement yet

sheepdean
10-28-2012, 11:03 PM
I wonder who chose release date first, COD or HTDA? I doubt either will get as much attention as they'd want due to the other's release on the same day.

As for the sample .. it's kinda what I expected, but hey, 5 minutes more to surprise me

gorast
10-31-2012, 08:55 PM
The album's going to be available on iTunes on the 13th as well, for those of you who prefer iTunes over Amazon/pirating.

fritzon
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM
For those hoping for an actual disc with the Hardened Edition of the game I'm sorry to report that it's a digital download :/

FernandoDante
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM
For those hoping for an actual disc with the Hardened Edition of the game I'm sorry to report that it's a digital download :/
Do you have it already?

SM Rollinger
11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
lame, forget buying the hardened, ill just buy the download code from someone who doesent want theirs

sick among the pure
11-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Where'd you find this out?
Also, that just makes it easier for me, and so for you guys as well. ;)

gorast
11-08-2012, 10:02 PM
lame, forget buying the hardened, ill just buy the download code from someone who doesent want theirs
Or just buy the soundtrack from Amazon or iTunes.

fritzon
11-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Where'd you find this out?
Also, that just makes it easier for me, and so for you guys as well. ;)
I'm the manager at the local GameStop and we received our copies a few days ago. I can't wait to hear the tracks but there's no way in hell I'm spending that kind of money on a game I'm generally not interested in.

Q-NeilL
11-10-2012, 02:33 AM
i found something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpFSN5vmiRM&feature=youtu.be

AgentofChaos
11-10-2012, 03:02 AM
^ Kudos. Dont imagine it will stay up for long but that theme is fucking boss. Could be my favorite thing since Tetsuo. So good.

BenAkenobi
11-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Oddly, it couldn't get more Fragiley Nailsy (to the extent we'll see many complaints about it being "too trademark")
---
7-minute version is also up on youtube.

fishtifer
11-10-2012, 09:18 AM
i found something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpFSN5vmiRM&feature=youtu.be

Thank you! I've been checking this thread everyday for weeks for this, and it's just as awesome as I was hoping it would be! It really is the coolest thing since Tetsuo!

sheepdean
11-10-2012, 09:38 AM
It doesn't really GO anywhere, just feels like lots of elements on a page, with no real cohesion.

WorzelG
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
See - every other video game theme since video games began. The Quake theme didn't really go anywhere, minute or so of industrial metal followed by a few minutes of ambience with no real point!

gorast
11-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Wow, that really did sound like it came straight out of 1999.

It's a good song, nothing to write home about, really. I like it, more or less.

Oh, how come this sounds like a complete song when apparently 28 seconds are missing (if Amazon's times are correct)?

BenAkenobi
11-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Oh, how come this sounds like a complete song when apparently 28 seconds are missing (if Amazon's times are correct)?

perhaps the OST mix is 5:38 while 5:10 is the length of a game rip which is on youtube

Horican
11-10-2012, 12:17 PM
This sounds like Trent is trying to prove that he can write kickass straightforward action music. 3:20-4:20 would sound mindblowing in an action movie trailer (and we all know action trailers and TR work great together)

sheepdean
11-10-2012, 12:19 PM
This sounds like Trent is trying
Idk, maybe it's all the HTDA in my head, but it feels like someone making a Trent Reznor (tm) sound, rather than Trent making his own sound.

Vertigo
11-10-2012, 01:00 PM
See - every other video game theme since video games began. The Quake theme didn't really go anywhere, minute or so of industrial metal followed by a few minutes of ambience with no real point!

It does go somewhere though. The industrial opening gradually ramps up, with the graded inclusion of orchestral backing (choral? I can't quite tell), a keyboard melody and various other elements until it reaches a crescendo - at which point it transitions, the screams gradually recede, and we're left with moody eeriness to contemplate throughout the remainder. That track charts one hell of an instrumental journey, and in my opinion it's something very special.

BO2 theme, though... I'll need to listen a bit more before I form a proper opinion, but my first impression is similar to Sheepdean's. It certainly hasn't blown me away like the Tetsuo theme did (which I still think is one of the very most amazing things Trent's ever done).

Horican
11-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Idk, maybe it's all the HTDA in my head, but it feels like someone making a Trent Reznor (tm) sound, rather than Trent making his own sound.
I would be disappointed if this was part of a new HTDA or NIN record, becauser it's a bit obvious, but as a standalone action piece, it works extremely well (for me). it really showcases Trent's skills in areas he usually avoids. This is a big bombastic action piece, and it's kind of cool knowing that he can do stuff like that and also makes me appreciate the fact that he usually takes a more interesting and exciting path. and it's still more likable then most of the Zimmer-esque action music out there.

thelastdisciple
11-10-2012, 02:00 PM
This is a big bombastic action piece
I don't think it's bombastic enough though given what it's for...if anything it's too safe and restrained... he held back on this one.

scorpiusdiamond
11-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Is it bad that I want the new NIN record to sound like this...? Really?
I mean, obviously with it structured into song form, but this sound is why I love NIN...

jessamineny
11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't think it's bombastic enough though given what it's for...if anything it's too safe and restrained... he held back on this one.

But then, in my opinion, it would be so stereotypical. I think he did a fine job of crafting something that sounds like it belongs in the genre of video games, but without it hitting you over the head.

It's so good, I'm realllly tempted now to listen to An Omen. :(
(I swore after I listened to all the YZ leaks, and it ruined the continuity of the album for me, I wouldn't pre-listen to songs before albums came out... and I have really high hopes for Oblivion.)

Magtig
11-10-2012, 05:26 PM
The call of Duty theme would have been awesome on The Fragile, 13 years ago. In 2012 it's, to put it charitably, nostalgia; to put it more accurately: self-parody.

Leviathant
11-10-2012, 05:39 PM
And I'm sure the shame weighs heavily on Trent when he talks to his accountant :b

screwdriver
11-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I happen to think the track is pretty rad, I guess I should be embarrassed to have such regressive taste

witte
11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
automatic pilot

wizfan
11-10-2012, 08:51 PM
It did bring me some Fragile-ish memories. Not too exciting, but fun nonetheless. Those weird rhythms worked against the song, in my opinion. I'm all for experimenting with drum patterns, but this felt a bit, uh, inappropriate for a theme song to a first-person shooter game. I believe a track like "A Thousand Details" would make a far more fitting song for an action game. I believe Treyarch asked him to make a NIN-y song, because it does feel like he's imitating himself a bit. Oh, well, it was just a job, it's not like he'd concentrate all of his effort on it. I don't mind it.

FernandoDante
11-10-2012, 09:13 PM
It did bring me some Fragile-ish memories. Not too exciting, but fun nonetheless. Those weird rhythms worked against the song, in my opinion. I'm all for experimenting with drum patterns, but this felt a bit, uh, inappropriate for a theme song to a first-person shooter game. I believe a track like "A Thousand Details" would make a far more fitting song for an action game. I believe Treyarch asked him to make a NIN-y song, because it does feel like he's imitating himself a bit. Oh, well, it was just a job, it's not like he'd concentrate all of his effort on it. I don't mind it.
I kinda wish it wasn't "just a job". The Tetsuo thing sure as fuck didn't sound like just a job.

imail724
11-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Oddly, it couldn't get more Fragiley Nailsy (to the extent we'll see many complaints about it being "too trademark")
---
7-minute version is also up on youtube.
7-minute version?

buckaroo
11-10-2012, 09:25 PM
automatic pilot

yeah. i like it, but it does kind of sound like he phoned it in on this one. although i'm not sure how much there was to work with considering what it is.

Leviathant
11-10-2012, 10:10 PM
7-minute version?

I did come across a seven minute long video with the theme on it, and it seemed to be the tail end of one version of the theme, a bit of a silent gap, and then the same theme heard in the other video floating around, albeit at lower fidelity.

gorast
11-10-2012, 10:18 PM
I kinda wish it wasn't "just a job". The Tetsuo thing sure as fuck didn't sound like just a job.
That's because Trent probably enjoyed the level of experimentation he went to with Tetsuo, while Black Ops II sounded like him doing what he thought the company expected for a video game soundtrack.

Then again, remember, of course, COD and Tetsuo are two very different pieces of art in two very different mediums, which demand different sounds and levels of experimentation. I'm satisfied with the Black Ops II theme for what it is - a theme for a first-person shooter.

The youtube rips are all sourced from the title screen of the game, right? That would probably explain the varying lengths.

seasonsinthesky
11-10-2012, 11:01 PM
this is a great piece of work. it's a lot less Fragiley and has MUCH more in common with "28 Ghosts IV" and "The Four of Us Are Dying."

screwdriver
11-10-2012, 11:17 PM
this is a great piece of work. it's a lot less Fragiley and has MUCH more in common with "28 Ghosts IV" and "The Four of Us Are Dying."

I don't hear that at all, but cheers! I enjoy it also.

icklekitty
11-11-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't really care that it's reminiscent of The Fragile. I'd rather hear sounds that force my insides to tingle than something that tries to "break new ground" and sound abysmal. Which I realise in itself is disappointing to say in the scope of Nine Inch Nails.

joplinpicasso
11-11-2012, 07:42 AM
This one's pretty cool. That's about it. It'll be cool when it comes up on a TR playlist. Besides, he had a larger connection with Tetsuo -- he had been asked to originally score the original film years ago, hadn't he? And the filmmaker was a big NIN fan.

fillow
11-11-2012, 08:05 AM
For some unknown reason I've been ignoring this thread for months... Can someone summarize it for me? Is the full track out? Is it currently just a youtube/some other stream rip or better quality?

gorast
11-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Come back on Tuesday.

sick among the pure
11-11-2012, 02:27 PM
For some unknown reason I've been ignoring this thread for months... Can someone summarize it for me? Is the full track out? Is it currently just a youtube/some other stream rip or better quality?

The track was leaked in a youtube video, linked on the 5th page. An actual mp3 rip off the soundtrack for high quality downloading pleasure will likely show up soon after the midnight release of the game monday night.

Edit: After having a full listen with decent headphones, I have to say I really like it. I'm glad Trent still has this sound going on, and between this and Tetsuo, I can't wait to see what the new NIN album has for us. I was concerned with the recent soundtrack and side project works that NIN would follow that general sound, but this theme gives me hope. Yes, it's obviously geared to be a single track, as an opening theme to an action game, but it still fucking sounds great. I would be much more likely to listen to this over and over than the new HTDA EP.

ajp100688
11-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Is it bad that I want the new NIN record to sound like this...? Really?
I mean, obviously with it structured into song form, but this sound is why I love NIN...

No way, it's awesome. This combined with some lyrics would be great. Probably the first thing I've really enjoyed that Tront has put out since The Social Network OSR. If the new NIN stuff (due to be released the week after Detox) sounds like this then we're in for a treat.

simonn
11-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Pretty uninspiring stuff. I'd probably add to a playlist, and listen to when it pops up on their, but I don't see myself actually choosing to listen to it in the future. Virtually everything off TGWDT is better than this.

laci
11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
after first listen: it's boring and predictable
i'll give it another try tomorrow and go back to listen to Ice Age / The Loop Closes or the new deftones. :P

Leviathant
11-12-2012, 09:32 AM
To me - it's what a video game theme song would sound like if Trent Reznor composed it. He didn't add drum machines and noise synths to those Janes Addiction songs he produced. He probably got some basic guidelines from the people involved in the series, and he aimed in that direction.

sheepdean
11-12-2012, 09:41 AM
A friend of mine who is a big COD fan (I don't know why) says the track really ISN'T a very COD track. It might be ok for a video game, but COD has a very refined feel to it, and it kinda misses the mark - sounds a bit too Trent for COD and a bit too COD for Trent.

Amaro
11-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Nevermind... This is good. Well done.

Trains
11-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I dig it. Moody, atmospheric, tense, uncomfortable -- all the things that I love about Trent's music. Even for what it is, it's a pretty solid track. Awesome.

sukey
11-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Not ground breaking, but that sound is the reason I fell in love with NIN in the first place, so I'm not complaining.

WorzelG
11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
It does go somewhere though. The industrial opening gradually ramps up, with the graded inclusion of orchestral backing (choral? I can't quite tell), a keyboard melody and various other elements until it reaches a crescendo - at which point it transitions, the screams gradually recede, and we're left with moody eeriness to contemplate throughout the remainder. That track charts one hell of an instrumental journey, and in my opinion it's something very special.

BO2 theme, though... I'll need to listen a bit more before I form a proper opinion, but my first impression is similar to Sheepdean's. It certainly hasn't blown me away like the Tetsuo theme did (which I still think is one of the very most amazing things Trent's ever done).

Just for the record - I love the Quake theme and soundtrack - but I just was commenting on the whole issue of 'cohesiveness' in reply to sheepdean. I don't think music even has to have a point to be great (i actually like Rush too!)

The COD theme is really growing on me actually. (I'm listening to it in lieu of the HTDA which I'm waiting for the quality FLAC sound files I pre-ordered to be available.) On first listen for example, when the drums came in they sounded really slow, like they should be faster - but I don't mind that now

Furie_Zacharias
11-13-2012, 12:19 AM
For those who haven't found it on YouTube yet and before it gets taken down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpFSN5vmiRM

uroboros
11-13-2012, 12:25 AM
The orchestral mix is earth-shaking. Go get it! Available on itunes for .99.

SM Rollinger
11-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Just got home with my Hardened Edition and im sad to report it is just download code for the soundtrack, and its only a 256k mp3 :(

Anybody going to get the actual disc?

I like this theme, its got some elements that arent really TR, but the little piano hook throughout is cool, and im feeling the drum treatment :)

gorast
11-13-2012, 01:07 AM
I totally forgot this was officially released today. Oops.

Bought both versions from iTunes just now. I like it a bit more now that I'm hearing the high quality version.

ManBurning
11-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Holy shit, this is AMAZING!! Trent still has it in him. This blows that Rubbish An Omen_ out of the water!

I'm writing this as I'm listening to the track as well. It's rare to be this impressed before the first listen is even over, but this is goooood!

PhoenixML
11-13-2012, 06:25 AM
2 dollars spent. yeah

WorzelG
11-13-2012, 06:31 AM
This is so much better, having listened to the bought version from iTunes - the YouTube rip starts at totally the wrong place and ruins the build up. It kind of introduces different elements at various points, like the drums, builds up several times and brings all the elements together in the final climax - great stuff

witte
11-13-2012, 07:14 AM
download done; both tracks...just played on my stereo.
took me by my throat.
some people here do not realize how lucky they are knowing an artist like trent.
now preparing to hunt for acetate cd-r promo's ;)

acidpolly
11-13-2012, 07:17 AM
I wanted to buy it but stupid amazon still doesn't sell mp3 to Russia goddamn it! what should I doooo.

Trains
11-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Working at a video game shop over Christmas, had to go in for the midnight launch of COD last night. Wasn't a fun experience; COD fans are dumb, ignorant, abusive pricks for the most part. Still, the shop had the theme playing on loop which sounded epic on decent speakers, so every cloud...

BenAkenobi
11-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I wanted to buy it but stupid amazon still doesn't sell mp3 to Russia goddamn it! what should I doooo.

ahh... i was approached today to provide help in acquiring this. i'm not spending $40 on the special edition of game right away. what are other legal ways?

Q-NeilL
11-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Full version of theme song:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YB0QWnJMW8&feature=youtu.be)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YB0QWnJMW8&feature=channel&list=UL
Orchestral Mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-7VnWKm30

also: I can give the track files.

acidpolly
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
ahh... i was approached today to provide help in acquiring this. i'm not spending $40 on the special edition of game right away. what are other legal ways?
honestly no idea. I found it on rutracker and downloaded without any hesitation. if amazon is moronic like that they just won't have my money. and if I want to pay Trent I can always buy another download of HTDA ;)

sheepdean
11-13-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm with that logic, if a company isn't making something available in your country, then piracy is your only option anyway.

gorast
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/11/13/trent-reznor-answers-the-call-of-duty-black-ops-2/

In case anyone missed it. I loved the end of the interview where the interviewer brings up all these contradictions and Trent waves them away with "I don't give a shit about the game when it comes right down to it." Classic.

thefragile_jake
11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Sounds nice. I could never get into these games...or any video game post Playstation 2 really..by the time the Playstation 3 came out I basically stopped playing video games aside from a couple Wii titles here and there.

I like the theme though.

xfocalinx
11-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Purchased the hardened edition just for the soundtrack. anybody else ?

gorast
11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Purchased the hardened edition just for the soundtrack. anybody else ?
How did you feel when you realized it was a digital download and not a physical CD?

Andrew
11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes on hardened edition. Edit: order got cancelled - and finding out it was a DL anyway, not too upset about that

This track reminds me of a ton of things (in a good way) including the music from Escape From New York. maybe it's just an action movie vibe, which I'm sure is intentional.

xfocalinx
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I was a bit disappointed, But then again, I planned on getting the game anyway. Since I work at best-buy, I didn't really spend all that much money more than i would have a regular edition.

halo33
11-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Now this I can get behind. Between this and what he did for Tetsuo, I have faith that the new NIN record will be quite awesome.

BrokenSpiral
11-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Wow. That made me feel like I was listening to a song that didn't make it to the fragile. Gives me hope that their will be a new nin album that can be as deep and layered as his previous work

Blackbookpress1984
11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Now this I can get behind. Between this and what he did for Tetsuo, I have faith that the new NIN record will be quite awesome.

Is there such a thing forthcoming?

But yes, this is fantastic

Shnoorum
11-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Is there such a thing forthcoming?

But yes, this is fantastic

Indeed there is. Atleast, Trents stated that new NIN is in the works, it's a pretty safe assumption that its gonna be an album. The most recent interview where its mentioned is here http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails-working-on-new-music-possible-tour-20121107

thefragile_jake
11-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Wow. That made me feel like I was listening to a song that didn't make it to the fragile. Gives me hope that their will be a new nin album that can be as deep and layered as his previous work

Agreed! As I have mentioned elsewhere, I hope that a new Nine Inch Nails album can sound as dense and layered as this song does. I would hate where HTDA is a band where he feels he can experiment with different sounds and ideas and NIN is where he wants to "play it safe".

We'll see though..

The Reason Being
11-13-2012, 10:17 PM
This is very good, although can somebody please come up with a cool fan name for it so I don't have to listen to a song called "Theme for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2"

The piano part that comes in at 3:19 is pretty reminiscent of the melody heard in The Great Below & And All That Could Have Been. It's not the same, but its similar enough. Nice work.

BenAkenobi
11-13-2012, 10:26 PM
This is very good, although can somebody please come up with a cool fan name for it so I don't have to listen to a song called "Theme for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2"

“Help Me I Am In Call Of Duty”

cashpiles (closed)
11-13-2012, 11:55 PM

How about "Enemy Lines"?

cashpiles (closed)
11-13-2012, 11:55 PM

How about "Enemy Lines"?

DigitalChaos
11-14-2012, 01:05 AM
just make it an ancronym:
TFCODBO2

it'll drive people nuts trying to figure out what you are talking about.

Vertigo
11-14-2012, 01:48 AM
"Don't Worry, I Have B.O. 2"

sheepdean
11-14-2012, 02:27 AM
TFCODBO2 just isn't as good as TFTTBM

spahn
11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
in case you want to download the 2 tracks by trent from the Black Ops II soundtrack from Amazon, I found a $2 credit that you can use:
http://www.northerncheapskate.com/free-2-amazon-mp3-download-credit/

umdesch4
11-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Is anybody else pissed that there's no lossless versions of these songs floating around? I specifically pre-ordered the hardened edition of the game (even though I'll never play it) because everyone was convinced (and the promo artwork seemed to indicate) that it came with a physical CD. Not only doesn't it come with a CD, but the download codes are for a seriously low quality mp3 download (yes, I know it was 256 kbps, but the encoding is terrible and it sounds that way on my stereo).

Anyone heard of FLAC for this? I can't believe that Trent and, to a lesser extent, Jack Wall would be ok with this.

umdesch4
11-14-2012, 11:54 PM
And then, moments later, I discover that the Russian release of the hardened edition came with TWO physical CDs with the soundtrack on them. Downloading a rip now off a private tracker.

You've gotta be fucking kidding me!

minion
11-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Care to share a little further info on that rip?

sheepdean
11-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Can someone with the liner notes (either from the iTunes purchase or the physical package) post the track credits for both versions? Thanks <3

umdesch4
11-18-2012, 04:26 AM
Care to share a little further info on that rip?

Ok, here's what I can tell you. I got it off a private tracker, where it was uploaded with the comment "Ripped by RadeonX1950.
Comes with russian special edition."

It is in two folders labeled Disc 1 and Disc 2, all with FLAC files totaling 863 MB. I've compared a couple of tracks under spectral analysis in Adobe Audition, and there does seem to be a few kHz more signal at the top end, so this doesn't seem like a mere transcode.

Check these two screenshots (note the .wav file was decoded from the flac file using FLAC frontend, as I don't have a flac plugin for my copy of Audition):
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8210/8194936609_d1a7b58d63_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8194936839_2b935037bd_c.jpg

Sound quality-wise, I find that the FLACs are still coming from a CD that suffers from the wonderful loudness wars dynamics compression we all love so much, so it ain't so great...but it seems legit. I notice all kinds of mp3 compression artifacts in the wind instruments on Symphony No. 40 in G Minor (the Mozart track), and they're gone in the FLAC. On the Trent tracks, I can't say for sure I'd pass an A/B test...I'm getting old. :P

I still haven't seen this on any public trackers, so maybe it'll turn up anonymously on TPB soon. ;)

scorpiusdiamond
11-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Um, this really isn't by Trent is it?
It's full on 'dubstep'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD3ylxcTomE&amp;feature=share

SM Rollinger
11-18-2012, 07:22 PM
/\/\/\
lols, thats terrible and no, its not TR.

Ive been playing the game alot, and so far ive found parts of the song used in edited form in the game itself. The beginning piano part along with the Fragile-esque loops are used in a looped form on the campaign hub, and more of the noises are used in loop form in the CoD Elite service.

PhoenixML
11-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Who's druming?

seasonsinthesky
11-19-2012, 10:22 PM
^ sounds like programming to me.

Andrew
11-21-2012, 04:58 PM
There's a discussion on the squeezebox forums regarding extracting the audio tracks from the game itself. Looks like they're stored in there in flac format.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97288

SM Rollinger
11-23-2012, 12:45 PM
/\
hopefuly they can, sounds like its in fragments though, but i doubt it would be hard to re-assemble

The rest of the "score" is pretty boring, just music from the game. Although i do reccomend the tracks "Rare Earth Elements" and "Adrenaline" (that reminds me of the deftones album, the name not the song it self. man that disc is a classic)

umdesch4
11-23-2012, 02:50 PM
My thoughts on the score, posted elsewhere the day I got the FLACs:

Well, I dunno. It seems like Trent was only really involved with the main theme song, and it sounds kind of like a generic NIN instrumental, maybe something that could have been left off of The Fragile because it wasn't quite interesting enough...or maybe Ghosts, I dunno. I'm sure you've heard it already, so you can decide.

The rest of it is similarly typical Jack Wall stuff. I recognize the feel from Mass Effect in a lot of places. Some of it is almost as catchy to listen to on it's own as the Mass Effect soundtracks, IMHO.

A standout track for me is Track 19, the Anthem remix done by Brian Tuey. Also, track 15, Nino Precioso with the spanish guitar and Kamar de los Reyes on vocals is kind of a neat change of pace. (The orchestral version of the same track near the end, track 23 on CD 2, or track 48 of the download, just strikes me as cheesy though)

The recording of Mozart's Symphony No. 40 In G minor which opens CD 2 (or track 26) is a pretty competent performance. Dunno who that was, but it sounds pretty sweet. I'm curious about where in the game it's used. ;)

Some of the tracks are hilariously bad. The Invasion of Panama for example, with spanish guitar, orchestra stabs, and a techno bassline, is downright silly, IMHO.

All in all, much of it makes good background music, but it's not something I can imagine myself listening to often. I'd rather listen to Trent's latest project/band How To Destroy Angels, personally.

Oh, and if you can find a FLAC of the 2 CD version that came with the russian edition of the game, it has around 4 kHz more spectrum than the mp3s, and sounds a lot crisper, but is yet another victim of the loudness wars, so there's little improvement in dynamic range.

That's my take on it so far, but I'm only on my second listen-through now, so YMMV.

SM Rollinger
11-25-2012, 03:12 PM
The score is really written for the enviroments that they game is being played in at the time, some of it being latin america in the 80s, hence the flamenco guitar and other nuances.

ninjaw
12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
hello i found this great tool Black Ops II Audio Dumper v3 http://www.itsmods.com/forum/Thread-Release-Black-Ops-II-Audio-Dumper-v3.html

I discovered FOUR versions of the theme in FLAC with it !

Call of Duty Black Ops II/sound/spl_frontend.all.sabs/0a9e5d66.flac (2:01)
Call of Duty Black Ops II/sound/spl_frontend.all.sabs/07bdefeb.flac (4:46)
Call of Duty Black Ops II/sound/spl_frontend.all.sabs/0920d58e.flac (5:10)
Call of Duty Black Ops II/sound/spl_frontend.all.sabs/04919ab1.flac (7:07)

Hyperpower
12-11-2012, 12:53 PM
so...i tried to purchase the Black Ops 2 theme that Trent worked on but Amazon does not allow that for Canadians :(
something about copyright laws being unclear or something :confused:

anyway, i am willing to pay for it, can someone help me out with that? :)

ninjaw
12-11-2012, 02:34 PM
You can buy the deluxe game, or just the game, and use the tool...

Hyperpower
12-13-2012, 12:23 AM
You can buy the deluxe game, or just the game, and use the tool...

but i have no interest in buying the game
don't get me wrong, i do wanna play for the theme track and this wouldn't be an issue if Amazon wasn't being douch-ey about it /sigh

gorast
12-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Is it on the Canadian iTunes store? You could try that.

fishtifer
12-13-2012, 10:20 PM
I bought mine from the Canadian iTunes store.

ninjaw
05-27-2013, 01:19 PM
I tought there was no way of getting lossless without ripping it from the game with the tool, or downloading the very rare russina cd rip, but i was wrong : http://www.qobuz.com/album/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-jack-wall/0887158251597

SM Rollinger
05-28-2013, 05:59 AM
I mite just have to use the tool and package the four different versions together. Also, the CoD Elite service has another version thats used as its backround music, but im not sure if its the same as the ones in game. There was only 3 times that I could identify it being used in-game (all in single player)

-the mission selection hub (the piano part, looped)
-the final mission in the 80s, after you shoot the target with the snipes (uses the more "intense" parts)
-during the final credits (closer to the full cut)

So i guess the Elite loop could be one of those.

edit: searched PB and a couple other places, and no luck finding these files. ill keep everyone updated as to the status of my project

SM Rollinger
06-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Well this isnt an update to my above said project. I finished the campaign again (since there is a couple different endings) and because the songs credits were not on ninwiki.com, i figured id copy them down from the games credits. If anybody has a account over there (i dont), feel free to go ahead an updated the page. Anyways, i doubt these will be a suprise to anyone...

"Theme"
Written - arranged - produced and performed by Trent Reznor
Mixed by Alan Moulder
Additional production by Atticus Ross
Mastered by Tom Baker at Percision Mastering - Hollywood - CA

gorast
06-30-2013, 12:51 AM
"additional production by Atticus Ross"

Those two really are joined at the fucking hip.

sheepdean
06-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Cheers SM Rollinger, updated - and you should make a ninwiki account anyway, it's where all the cool kids are.

Just wondering, are there different credits for the orchestral mix of the theme?

SM Rollinger
06-30-2013, 10:26 AM
I dint see seperate credits for that one. They had the 3 licensed songs together in one section (Trents, a song by Elbow and the Skrillex track).

gorast
09-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Been playing this one a lot lately. I forgot how good it is. I'm still not really sure why there had to be two versions of the track, though - why even bother listening to the standard version?

wizfan
10-28-2013, 07:35 AM
I collected all the FLACs from the game. There are actually lots of little snippets and isolated tracks, along with various edits of the main theme (the Orchestral Mix does not appear anywhere in the game files). The quality of the files is excellent, far better than the official MP3s and the Russian CDs. If it's okay by the forum's rules, I could upload it somewhere.

Demogorgon
10-28-2013, 11:05 AM
I collected all the FLACs from the game. There are actually lots of little snippets and isolated tracks, along with various edits of the main theme (the Orchestral Mix does not appear anywhere in the game files). The quality of the files is excellent, far better than the official MP3s and the Russian CDs. If it's okay by the forum's rules, I could upload it somewhere.

i would definitely be interested in this. i'm as much a fan of game music in general as i am of NIN almost.

wizfan
10-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Okay! If anyone else wants the files, you can send me a PM!