PDA

View Full Version : The Newsroom

Goldfoot
07-06-2012, 03:45 AM
HBO's new show about the very thing the title suggests, created and written by Aaron Sorkin. As of 6 minutes into the first episode, I was sold. After two episodes I find myself sad that there isn't more for me to watch. I didn't think I would be interested in a show about producing a news show, but Sorkin has a way of writing that is incredibly intriguing to me. There's so much drama, and it's compounded by the pressure that goes along with reporting news in competition with other networks, but it doesn't come off as melodrama (at least, not to me). I wouldn't have thought that much pressure would be involved in producing an hour news show, and perhaps it's embellished for dramatic purposes, but I find myself very engaged in this show and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Here's the first trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgFZbrwmndA

GibbonBlack
07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
The first episode was stunning. So much so that the second couldn't compare. I still enjoyed the second episode but it didn't seem to have the tension of the first. Still, I trust Sorkin and will watch on

sa_nick
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I loved Sports Night and Studio 60 so I was looking forward to this. It's good so far but I don't find the characters as interesting as in Sorkins previous TV dramas about TV shows. Being an Aussie who isn't overly into US politics probably takes away from my experience a little.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
07-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Watchable and maybe promising (great cast!) but also frustrating and very problematic. Episode two was terrible. The writing whips, as texture and play, and is also pretty bad, on substance and development. I like it, for now, though it feels like a show that ought to have been on network television about a decade ago, and not an HBO that insists upon a certain pedigree (more rigorous than, say, 'But Aaron Sorkin wrote this!') in its programming.

I'll give it this first season but don't expect the same of the second. Never before watched one of Sorkin's TV shows, though I hear conflicting remarks of 'West Wing' and 'Sports Night' and negative ones in general; I did like Social Network well enough.

Goldfoot
07-10-2012, 07:13 PM
After the third episode I still think this show is off to a great start. The "Yeah, that was him," moment gave me chills and I had to pause the episode to properly react and not risk missing what was going to happen next. Little moments like that are the most powerful ones to me.

Magtig
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I really, really want to like this show. The initial speech that gets the main character into trouble was awesome, but the rest of the show is just flat out hokey. I think the idea for the show carries an incredibly important message, but it's written so poorly; it's just not believable. I find myself rolling my eyes at the love interest stories, and the overly snappy dialogue is simply ridiculous. I watched the first three episodes last night, and I doubt I'll watch any more. I could give a fuck about the characters personally (mainly because they don't seem like real people), but even worse is that there's no way in hell this show is going to get anyone but liberals on board, which is antithetical to its stated approach, and a huge disappointment even though I largely agree with their criticisms.

In short, I support this show's message, but I don't actually like the show.

Deadpool
07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
I've never watched any of Sorkin's other shows, but I'm a huge fan of The Social Network, so I was very interested in seeing this. After watching the first 3 episodes, I love it. Again, I can't comment on how redundant it is compared to Sorkin's previous TV work, but I've been massively entertained by each episode thus far. I love Emily Mortimer and Alison Pill, too. The cast as a whole is excellent. Looking forward to more!

dpeters
07-16-2012, 12:46 PM
I really, really want to like this show. The initial speech that gets the main character into trouble was awesome, but the rest of the show is just flat out hokey. I think the idea for the show carries an incredibly important message, but it's written so poorly; it's just not believable. I find myself rolling my eyes at the love interest stories, and the overly snappy dialogue is simply ridiculous. I watched the first three episodes last night, and I doubt I'll watch any more. I could give a fuck about the characters personally (mainly because they don't seem like real people), but even worse is that there's no way in hell this show is going to get anyone but liberals on board, which is antithetical to its stated approach, and a huge disappointment even though I largely agree with their criticisms.

In short, I support this show's message, but I don't actually like the show.

I've seen no less than three or four conservative friends post the big speech from this show. Anti-establishment is in due to rage against the current administration.

Admittedly, I first thought the show was preaching to the choir but the show doesn't pull punches with its intent.

Goldfoot
07-31-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm still really liking this show except the Jim-Maggie-Don thing. I understand the dramatic draw of a love triangle, but this show skips months at a time and it seems like the progress of this plotline is going rather slowly. Like with the Lisa thing; Jim kept it from Maggie at first and she was upset. She was upset because she was jealous, but yet not emotionally mature enough to realize it. Ok, that's fine but Jim noticed that she was and so did Don. Jim even told her to ask Don why he called Lisa. Then the next episode takes place two months later and Maggie is planning for her and Don to have an evening alone on Valentine's Day. Are they implying that these peoples' lives are too full of work for their relationships to work at what would seem like a regular speed?

neorev
08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I wanna like this show... but sometimes it just goes so GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAY
I apologize for using the term. But it has good moments, but then it just gets too gooey, mushy over the top patriotic, proud to be an American journalist...
but not in a good way, just comes off as pretentious and full of itself
Though it does have some great moments here and there
Maybe because our news outlets come off so crappy in real life and since more people use foreign new agencies over our own to get their info...
they just try to make it all seem so grand and dignified when it really feels like a joke sometimes with the way our media handles itself.
This show takes itself way too seriously at points
And why does every single character talk and feel the same? All the same jabs and jokes and quips and oh, i'm so smart and clever attitude.
And that opening and theme song, it just feels so out of place compared to the show and the overly corny/sappy music
This could have been great if handled better

Harry Seaward
08-22-2012, 05:57 AM
I wanna like this show... but sometimes it just goes so GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAY
I apologize for using the term. But it has good moments, but then it just gets too gooey, mushy over the top patriotic, proud to be an American journalist...
but not in a good way, just comes off as pretentious and full of itself
Though it does have some great moments here and there
Maybe because our news outlets come off so crappy in real life and since more people use foreign new agencies over our own to get their info...
they just try to make it all seem so grand and dignified when it really feels like a joke sometimes with the way our media handles itself.
This show takes itself way too seriously at points
And why does every single character talk and feel the same? All the same jabs and jokes and quips and oh, i'm so smart and clever attitude.
And that opening and theme song, it just feels so out of place compared to the show and the overly corny/sappy music
This could have been great if handled better

I agree with pretty much all of this. It's really pretentious at time and the humor is a bit 'meh'. I still enjoy it though and plan to keep watching, for the time being.

Also the opening credits are awful.

october_midnight
05-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Season 2 hits July 14th. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/newsroom-season-2-promo-teases-488872)

littlemonkey613
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I basically just have a fundamental problem with the premise of this show. Like I actually think its unethical in a way. What bullshit. Clever clever jerk ass main character written with the complete magical power of hindsight. I can't take it seriously. And I don't think they do a good job at ALL at trying to convince you that their reactions to anything are realistic in any fashion. Also fuck his initial speech. God damn that rhetoric just needs to die. HARDY HAR IM WHITE AND A DUDE AMERICA WAS PAVED IN GOLD NOW ITS NOT. It's literally captain hindsight the show.... I can see how this show would be cathartic (especially for liberals) but ugh.

AgentofChaos
05-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Can't understand for the life of me why the hindsight effect is such an issue for so many. This is cinema. To have the ability to go back and relive moments and tell them better than they could have ever been told in real time? Isn't that tied to the essence of film? What is so offensive about that? I think the show is a ton of fun and hits the nail on the head quite consistently.

profane
12-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Nobody watching this anymore? Think this season has been pretty great so far.

neorev
12-01-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm watching... this season is really good. It's been tense.
Kinda stinks right when it feels like they hit their stride that it's coming to an end in only 2 more episodes.

profane
12-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Yeah, but I like it leaving on a high note.

jessamineny
12-01-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm watching... this season is really good. It's been tense.
Kinda stinks right when it feels like they hit their stride that it's coming to an end in only 2 more episodes.

Ugh. I didn't know this :(

GibbonBlack
12-02-2014, 07:47 AM
its definitely the closest Sorkin has got to writing something as good as The West Wing. It's not as good as that but it's close

neorev
12-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Can't believe that there is only one more episode to go until it all comes to an end.
This last season has been truly great. Actually this series got better with each season.
And this season the charactors took the main stage rather than past events in the world.
But tonight's episode had a truly emotional moment. :(

Space Suicide
12-08-2014, 01:42 AM
One of the few shows by HBO I can't stand. I tried.

october_midnight
12-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Charlie NOOO

neorev
12-08-2014, 02:02 PM
One of the few shows by HBO I can't stand. I tried.

Honestly, I couldn't stand the first season as well.
I found its characters very annoying, but for some reason I kept watching it.
Probably because it was during one of those dead times in the year when there was nothing else on series-wise.
And I loathe The Walking Dead more since both the characters AND the story are atrociously written...
so that's definitely not a series that I would watch instead.
So I kept watching The Newsroom. Sure I hate the characters, but I still found myself interested in what's going on each episode.
And I'm glad that I stuck with it.
These last two seasons have been great, a huge improvement from the first.
You felt the change when they got rid of that over the top cheesy opening from the first season and replaced it with something a little more subtle.

profane
12-15-2014, 04:32 PM
What a delightful finale. A great way to wrap this show up.

neorev
12-16-2014, 03:56 AM
HBO always seems to drop the ball when in comes to a series finale.
But I gotta say that they did a really good job with this final episode and an excellent ending to the series.
Nice and proper ending, glad the show went out on a high note.

GoodSoldier333
12-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Personally I thought the second to last episode was the worst of the entire show. It was dark and murky and didn't seem like usual Newsroom formula.
Final episode wasn't as bad but i think collectively these last 2 episodes pulled away from The Newsroom we love. Remember that Back to the Future 2 scene where Doc draws and explains the second/alternate timeline? These last 2 episodes felt like an altered/"HBO shutting this thing down" timeline.