PDA

View Full Version : The Tree of Life

littlemonkey613
06-28-2012, 12:26 AM
So I never got around to watching this because the consensus among my friends was that this didn't have "good characters" or a "proper story" and was "boring" and "didn't make sense".

I am now pissed because they kept me from experiencing something so wonderful, vivid, ambitious, beautiful and true.

Fuck you freinds! Fuck me for being so influenced by other peoples opinions. God bless this movie.

Also this was the first Maleck movie I've ever seen. Color me blown away.

neorev
06-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Sean Penn...
moping about

littlemonkey613
06-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Haha more like thinking and remembering about. It reminded me a lot of Mrs. Dalloway. A normal day in the head of a normal person. You see their past, present and a million different emotions, and inklings of the future b/c thats just how the mind works.

Goldfoot
06-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I watched this on my own and I can't imagine really any of my friends, except maybe one, appreciating this. I don't even know anyone else who has seen it. That said, I was drunk when I watched and I had no idea what to expect. It was definitely a visual marvel; how about those vagina and penis sea creatures? I really want to watch it again, but I plan on being stoned then so I can appreciate it in the proper way; alcohol just isn't a good addition to your state of mind while watching it. Not in my experience anyway. Not that I disliked it, I just wasn't sure what I was supposed to be expecting, and I kept overthinking it.

Alexandros
06-28-2012, 02:55 AM
For me it was a hit and miss affair. Definitely had some amazing moments, but there were also a few scenes that seemed to drag on for too long, or were too self-indulgent. However, I should point out that I made the grave mistake of watching it in a multiplex, on the very first day it came out. Meaning people were coming to it without any idea of what they were going to see, probably drawn by the names of Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. Meaning the audience reaction was horrible and loud. That's enough to dampen anyone's enjoyment of a film. It taught me a valuable lesson on choosing the proper time and cinema for certain films.

theruiner
06-28-2012, 03:42 AM
Haha more like thinking and remembering about. It reminded me a lot of Mrs. Dalloway. A normal day in the head of a normal person. You see their past, present and a million different emotions, and inklings of the future b/c thats just how the mind works.That's an awesome interpretation. I never thought of it that way. I might have to watch this again with that in mind. I wasn't crazy about it the first time, but watching it again thinking of it that way might help me enjoy it more.

Ash512
06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
One of the most complex and beautiful films ever made. It really raises the bar in terms of cinematic language...
What is it about? Generally, about life of course. I'm shocked whenever I read that it doesn't really have a plot... are you kidding me? In essence, it is a pretty straight forward narrative but the language, the way of telling the story, is unique. I like reading as a very sociopolitical movie about growing up in a society that's twisted between conflicting definition of ethics and morality. Nature or Grace? The opening monologue is in many ways an interpretation of the film itself.

aggroculture
07-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Horribly pretentious self-aggrandizing film. Yes it had some great-looking scenes, but this film was boring, and insultingly convinced of its own greatness, being instead a collection of cliches.
The religious message was offensive to me, and the angry-dad who doesn't understand us theme has been done a million times before. There were some spellbinding scenes, but the whole thing was brought down by a director who clearly believes his own hype: that he's some kind of philosopher who is probing the great questions of life. Also why stop at the dinosaurs? Very very disappointed when I realized no we weren't going to get a vision of human history, but a lazy autobiographical family drama instead.