PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Watching?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

tudek
11-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Panic Room is the best David Fincher film in my opinion.
Have you seen Zodiac?

marodi
11-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Have you seen Zodiac?

This, a thousand times. Zodiac is still the best Fincher film.

kdrcraig
11-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Yeah Zodiac is awesome. I haven't seen Panic Room since I saw it in the theater but I remember not liking it

Exocet
11-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Have you seen Zodiac?

no i have not seen it and i dont know why. this one bypassed me. i will watch it. I have heard a few people say its really good.

Fixer808
11-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Well, finally watched True Detective. Phenomenal.

Jinsai
11-21-2014, 10:30 PM
This, a thousand times. Zodiac is still the best Fincher film.

A lot of people say this... I liked it, but I definitely wasn't blown away by it. I need to watch it again. I was much more impressed by The Social Network, Fight Club, Seven, and Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo (which thought was really underrated).

Magtig
11-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Broad City. Fuck, this show is ridiculously funny.

ibanez33
11-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Broad City. Fuck, this show is ridiculously funny.

Is the second season out yet? I powered through the first one a while ago, totally forgot about it until just now!

allegro
11-22-2014, 11:06 PM
CNN's "The 60s." Wow, holy crap, this is fantastic!

Magtig
11-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Is the second season out yet? I powered through the first one a while ago, totally forgot about it until just now!
Not yet, but I can't wait for it. I really hope people spread the word on this one. According to the viewership numbers it looks like this thing is just hanging on.

I'm also really enjoying Amy Schumer's show, but Broad City is better.

orestes
11-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Plowed through season one of Vikings on Amazon this weekend. What does it say about me when my favorite character is Floki?

theruiner
11-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Also grabbed The Hunt and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang from the library as well.
"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is SO underrated.

Also, "The Hunt" was scary.

decadent
11-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Predestanation - "2014's answer to Looper" - bullshit! It was really, really slow and the "twist" was foreseeable halfway through the movie. Also where Looper was quite clever about all the time-travel-themes, this "loop" just didn't make any sense...

orestes
11-27-2014, 02:06 PM
MST3K marathon on youtube.

Pillfred
11-27-2014, 02:39 PM
"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is SO underrated.

Also, "The Hunt" was scary.
The Hunt was really good. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I haven't gotten to play yet. Hopefully with persistence and luck my "super"drive well cooperate at some point today. In the man time I'm going to look into this marathon mentioned above.

eversonpoe
11-27-2014, 03:02 PM
MST3K marathon on youtube.

ditto (obviously, since we've been making jokes at each other about it for the last hour).

why don't we have an mst3k thread?

orestes
11-27-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't know; we had a thread in past iterations of the board.

littlemonkey613
11-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Mockingjay Part 1 was a pretty stellar adaptation.

Space Suicide
11-28-2014, 11:02 PM
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120501204203/memoryalpha/en/images/f/f4/TNG_Season_1_Blu-ray_cover.jpg

Millionaire
11-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Predestination- This is a time-traveling movie with a pretty weird plot that is on the knife's edge of insane, but I kind of liked it for whatever reason. I guess I was in a forgiving mood. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking its bullshit. The performances by Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook won me over, and I think I was impressed that the directors actually had the nerve to make this.

Stoker- I've been putting off watching this since the reviews were very mixed, and finally got to it and really liked it. It has a very stylish, gothic vibe, with some incredible visuals and sharp editing. The performances from the three leads were great, in particular Mia Wasikowska, who I think got unfairly ignored during the award season that year. The plot doesn't spell out some things, and like Predestination(though this is much more grounded) some people will understandably think its bull, but it worked for me. This is a movie that, for me, feels like you're reading a book, but its in movie form, if that makes any sense, and thats something I liked about it.

Encounters at the End of the World- Werner Herzog documentary that tries to connect people who work in Antarctica with the search for spirituality and meaning. It sounds very pretentious, and it is, but Herzog is a filmmaker who is able to make pretension very watchable, compelling, and oddly funny(at least for me). He pretty much hung out with various people who are involved in research in the Antarctic and somehow got them to say some very personal stories about some of their views on life and spirituality. Its strangely entertaining, the scenery is beautiful, and apparently seals have an incredibly musical way of speaking underwater.

Bachy
11-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Memento

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpgjmbm8Fa1qbq46co1_500.gif

miss k bee
11-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Anchorman 2 ....why? wasn't funny until the last half hour with the news teams fight off, watched the supersized version as well.

Charmingly Miserable
11-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Clueless. No joke. It's like in my top 10 movies. Maybe that says something about my core being or because I'm a 90s teen.

"They way I feel about the Rolling Stones is the way my kids are gonna feel about Nine Inch Nails."

Dra508
12-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Penguins of Madagascar. The 11 year old I was with liked it. I like listening to John Malkovich and Benedict Cumberbatch.

kel
12-02-2014, 12:15 AM
i just watched 'a normal heart' on hbo.

wow. so powerful and just ... important.

Pillfred
12-02-2014, 07:56 PM
About to start into True Detective tonight. If I don't binge out on that I hope to watch Hurt Locker and or Days of Future Past. Though one or both may wait till after work tomorrow depending on how the night goes.

onthewall2983
12-02-2014, 08:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9wvsiE6RJA

Fixer808
12-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Finally watching Game of Thrones. Up to season 1 episode 7 and wondering how I managed to get this far in life without seeing it.

orestes
12-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Holy shit, season two finale of Peaky Blinders!

Halo Infinity
12-05-2014, 04:18 PM
I've been watching The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air again, and it certainly still holds up for me. It's also been quite a while since I've watched it, but as soon as I checked out one episode after another, it's no wonder why I used to watch it regularly when was a child and a teenager. I'm now reminded that it was the second sitcom I really got into growing up right after Full House. The Nanny was probably the third sitcom I got into, and I used to watch it again on Nick at Nite, but it doesn't seem to have been played on Nick at Nite as of late. I'd still catch it for any episodes during seasons 5-6, as I already have seasons 1-3. They just didn't seem to release them yet.

Anyway, I also just love the way Nick at Nite has been treating me so far, as I could make do with it on certain nights, since I can't always collect the DVDs. :)

thelastdisciple
12-09-2014, 06:01 PM
I've been getting back into the Pokemon anime series, i started from scratch and watched Indigo League and Orange Islands....i had seen most of those episodes when i was younger as well as the first couple of movies but i remembered only seeing a portion of the Orange Islands before i must have either ended up moving or been without cable, definitely hadn't watched any of it since so now I'm just getting to see Johto stuff for the first time. Can't believe how long this show has been running, it's going to take ages to get caught up.

I know the show is quite kiddy, formulaic and the same thing over and over pretty much but I've been enjoying it, no doubt I'll probably get sick of it before i get anywhere near the latest series lol damn Team Rocket is definitely the most annoying aspect of the show, apparently they aren't even in some of the seasons after a certain point? sounds interesting.

sentient02970
12-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Finally watched Del Toro's "Mama" last night. Very well thought out story and the scares were pretty good. There are places where it showed weakness but overall very entertaining film.

Jinsai
12-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Snowpiercer

What a strange/fun/heavy-handed movie.

Watching it is kind of like having a really surreal (but fun) nightmare

Fixer808
12-12-2014, 01:46 AM
Just watched Fury. Not the best WWII movie I've ever seen (that distinction goes to The Great Escape!), but decent. Interesting part is that it gave a bit of a look into what my grandpa did in WWII, as he was a radio operator/loader in a Sherman tank.

Jinsai
12-12-2014, 04:17 AM
Just watched Fury. Not the best WWII movie I've ever seen (that distinction goes to The Great Escape!), but decent. Interesting part is that it gave a bit of a look into what my grandpa did in WWII, as he was a radio operator/loader in a Sherman tank.

Have you caught up on Game of Thrones yet?!

r_k_f
12-12-2014, 11:09 AM
love me some Graham Hancock..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV9U9tH3lN4

Fixer808
12-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Have you caught up on Game of Thrones yet?!

Still working on season one! Got a little sidetracked... The wife hadn't seen Band of Brothers yet.

thevoid99
12-12-2014, 10:44 PM
I just saw Francois Truffaut's final film in Confidentially Yours which I think is one of his best and certainly a fitting finale to his entire career. It's sad that he would die a year later after its release and only five films short of his actual goal of 30 films. I think it's really witty and full of charm. I've now completed all of the films of Francois Truffaut.

Exocet
12-13-2014, 01:35 AM
The David Cronenberg/Naomi Watts film Eastern Promises. About the Russian Mafia or should i say Chechen mafia. Its gained a bit of a cult following since it came out in 2007.
only saw it yesterday. Im honestly think Viggo Mortensons acting in this film is possibly the best acting Ive ever seen.
The Russian/Chechen gangsters are absolutley terrifying. They are made of steel, its nice to be reminded in this film that there is a massive network of them operating in the city i live in!
David Cronenberg is a truly great director

allegro
12-13-2014, 09:58 AM
I just saw Francois Truffaut's final film in Confidentially Yours which I think is one of his best and certainly a fitting finale to his entire career. It's sad that he would die a year later after its release and only five films short of his actual goal of 30 films. I think it's really witty and full of charm. I've now completed all of the films of Francois Truffaut.
That's a great idea: a Truffaut film fest of sorts. Did you rent all of them? Buy them?

hobochic
12-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Just saw the pilot for The Affair. Good start.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10556357_279235948949592_4665915694509128700_n.jpg ?oh=27daac66770c271be5fd656646a65c94&oe=54D63C14&__gda__=1425153452_12b6e0e7b3f129d7ef3d75f3edd50a9 d

thevoid99
12-13-2014, 03:24 PM
That's a great idea: a Truffaut film fest of sorts. Did you rent all of them? Buy them?

Most of them that I watched I had recorded last year on Turner Classic Movies where they did a month on the films of Francois Truffaut. I had seen a few up to that point as I managed to watch nearly all of them until I had to switch providers from Dish to U-Verse (which ended up being a better deal) as I had to download some of them through torrents like Fahrenheit 451, Small Change, The Man Who Loved Women, The Green Room, The Woman Next Door, and Confidentially Yours. Here is my list of all of the films of Truffaut that I've seen minus a short film that isn't available in public and another short he co-directed with another filmmaker: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list/francois-truffaut-ranked/

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-13-2014, 03:33 PM
I ordered both special editions of the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray collection, and the Funimation version came in the mail yesterday. <3

IT'S SO GOOD. The picture is crystal clear, and they managed to remaster it without losing any of the visual fidelity that gives the show the Bebop "look." There are a couple minor hiccups where the CGI meets/overlaps the hand-drawn animation, but I just chalk that up to the source material being 25 years old. Sounds fantastic, too. Not to mention this awesome package - I'm so glad I buckled and got one before they sold out. If you wanna check the series out, the first four episodes are up on Hulu in HD, and if you're inclined to purchase the whole set, the latest remaster is definitely the way to go - although, the special editions are all gone. Recommended for anyone that loves space, noir, sci-fi, pop culture, jazz, and all that....jazz. Even if you're not into anime, this one's a little different.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2_copy.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI08P5SaJNU

eversonpoe
12-13-2014, 07:20 PM
I ordered both special editions of the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray collection, and the Funimation version came in the mail yesterday. <3

i asked for just the standard blu-ray set for x-mas but now i wish i had asked for the funimation one :/
i used to have the dvd box set but my ex took it when we split. i was almost as upset about that as i was that she took the cats/bunnies. haha.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-13-2014, 09:01 PM
i asked for just the standard blu-ray set for x-mas but now i wish i had asked for the funimation one :/
i used to have the dvd box set but my ex took it when we split. i was almost as upset about that as i was that she took the cats/bunnies. haha.

I was REALLY on the fence about even buying that one, let alone BOTH of them. The one I have now was $65 when it was available (it's already listed on ebay for up to $599.99, by the way), and the Amazon version, which comes with the same on-disc content but had a bunch of little art books and things, was something like $95. That's a looot to spend on one show, but I knew that if I didn't just splurge right away, I'd probably never get a chance to get either one, judging from the likes of literally every piece of Bebop merchandise ever (INCLUDING SUPER RARE REAL RECORDS THAT WERE PRACTICALLY NEVER CIRCULATED).

Edit: I'm still totally watching it, by the way. I forgot how beautiful the end of "Jupiter Jazz (pt 2)" is, with that song "Cosmos" just playing itself out. Fantastic.

Dra508
12-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Transparent. Jeffrey Tambor was really good.

orestes
12-14-2014, 09:10 AM
^ Regarding Cowboy Bebop on Hulu, the entire series drops December 19th.

theruiner
12-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Transparent. Jeffrey Tambor was really good.Jeffrey Tambor was AMAZING on that show. Can't wait for the second season (whenever that may be).

Pillfred
12-16-2014, 09:12 PM
The Following first season. I also snagged the first season of Hannibal today as well. Should be good for the week.

sentient02970
12-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Re-watching Deadwood with my partner who's never seen it. I don't think I got through the entire 3 seasons my first time through and am picking up a lot in this re-watch. Westerns like this must have been a joy to act in.

thevoid99
12-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Two Days, One Night by the Dardenne Brothers. These guys are getting better and better with their films. It takes them three years to get funding and get it made and it's often worth it. Plus, the Academy would be fools if they don't nominate Marion Cotillard as she once again gives a knockout performance. Everyone is clamoring on Jennifer Aniston going unglamorous for her role in Cake. Pfft... that is just Oscar-bait bullshit. Cotillard is the real-deal. She just brings it. Hell, she can read a phone book and give a great performance.

Millionaire
12-18-2014, 12:59 PM
i doubt she will even be nominated. The Oscar members just vote for films that mount a campaign with numerous ads and free watches in the mail. They also bite on 'Oscar bait' every single time. Looking forward to the film, though. The Dardennes are always worth a watch.

Maul
12-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Alien (1979), the Theatrical Cut. Beautiful movie.

Fixer808
12-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Requiem For A Dream for the first time. Hell's horses, what a bleak movie.

Baphomette
12-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Requiem For A Dream for the first time. Hell's horses, what a bleak movie.Drug addiction is pretty fucking bleak.

Fixer808
12-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Good point. Excellent movie, though.

Bachy
12-18-2014, 09:49 PM
One of the greatest crime movies ever written:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1773078/keysersoze-o.gif

Maul
12-19-2014, 04:04 AM
One of the greatest crime movies ever written:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1773078/keysersoze-o.gif

That movie blew my mind when I watched this past summer. Bryan Singer sure knows how to get the job done.

After watching Star Trek (2009), it's time to move on with the Abrams rehab. Super 8 (2011) is the next in line.

Charmingly Miserable
12-22-2014, 05:36 PM
I saw the Hobbit. It went quicker than I thought it was going to take. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Space Suicide
12-22-2014, 06:11 PM
http://www.liveforfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/the-toxic-avenger-poster.jpg
I'll try it haha.

ambergris
12-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Cloud Atlas. A fascinating movie. It belongs into the category of "almost-masterpieces", movies that have some flaw that prevents them from being classics, but you just know that most of them is great. I'd also put Event Horizon, David Lynch's Dune and Prometheus into this category. Only with Cloud Atlas, it's even more extreme. It's a little too long and the tone is very uneven, and sometimes, it's right on the edge between embarassing failure and genius, for example, the somewhat cheesy post-apocalyptic tribal language, and the occasionally crappy make-up. But if one approaches it with an open mind and open heart, there is lots to enjoy.
I also watched The Third Man last week. Another classic I can cross off my list now. I had expected a little more scenes in the Vienna sewers. But it was a very enjoyable movie. I think some people miss the satire in it, you know, the naive American writer expecting a Hollywood ending in a European city where even the animals are against him.

Maul
12-23-2014, 02:31 PM
I watched Fight Club (2000) yesterday with my sister. That movie is freaking awesome and it always will. Se7en is my fave from Fincher though.
Also watching Mad Men (second season), Z Nation and The Strain.

Fixer808
12-23-2014, 03:41 PM
http://www.liveforfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/the-toxic-avenger-poster.jpg
I'll try it haha.
It's one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen, but in the best possible way.

Pillfred
12-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Class of Nuke'm High is decent as well.

thevoid99
12-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Just finished the first half of the director's cut of Nymphomaniac which is amazing so far. There's definitely a lot of Tarkovsky elements in the direction but it's really von Trier being bawdy but also melodramatic. I'm going to watch part of the second half a little later on and try to finish the rest tomorrow.

elevenism
12-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Just finished the first half of the director's cut of Nymphomaniac which is amazing so far.
The wifey and i got a big kick out of that one. I thought it was brilliant...it's a veritable cinematic assault.
Did you see Antichrist and Melencholia? I highly recommend those two as well, and Von Trier considers them a trilogy. Did you hear this bad news (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/lars-von-trier-fears-drug-addiction-will-lead-to-his-retirement-9894671.html) though?
He says he has gotten sober and has no more creativity, stating “There is no creative expression of artistic value that has ever been produced by ex-drunkards and ex-drug-addicts."

Maybe he should check out HTDA, HM, and trent's film scores.

As for me, we are finishing up the sopranos, and starting this aussie prison drama called Wentworth that seems promising.

thevoid99
12-23-2014, 11:31 PM
The wifey and i got a big kick out of that one. I thought it was brilliant...it's a veritable cinematic assault.
Did you see Antichrist and Melencholia? I highly recommend those two as well, and Von Trier considers them a trilogy. Did you hear this bad news (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/lars-von-trier-fears-drug-addiction-will-lead-to-his-retirement-9894671.html) though?
He says he has gotten sober and has no more creativity, stating “There is no creative expression of artistic value that has ever been produced by ex-drunkards and ex-drug-addicts."

Maybe he should check out HTDA, HM, and trent's film scores.

As for me, we are finishing up the sopranos, and starting this aussie prison drama called Wentworth that seems promising.

I've seen all of von Trier's films. Breaking the Waves is my favorite of his with Antichrist coming a close second. I think he needs to take some time off and figure out what to do next.

elevenism
12-24-2014, 07:44 AM
I've seen all of von Trier's films. Breaking the Waves is my favorite of his with Antichrist coming a close second. I think he needs to take some time off and figure out what to do next.
Ok Breaking the Waves?
What else should i check out?

green
12-24-2014, 12:58 PM
The Following first season. I also snagged the first season of Hannibal today as well. Should be good for the week.
Those are excellent series imo. Season 2 of Hannibal has such a good ending, too.

edit: I misread The Following as True Detective, for some reason.

thevoid99
12-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Ok Breaking the Waves?
What else should i check out?

Here's a list of all of his films that I've seen and how I ranked them so far, not counting shorts,: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list/lars-von-trier-ranked/

elevenism
12-25-2014, 04:20 AM
Here's a list of all of his films that I've seen and how I ranked them so far, not counting shorts,: http://letterboxd.com/thevoid99/list/lars-von-trier-ranked/

damn man...i couldn't have asked for much more than that. thanks.

somethingelse
12-25-2014, 07:05 AM
The Station Agent

WorzelG
12-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Christmas evening, kids have gone to bed, we're watching Die Hard with a bottle of wine, bliss

thevoid99
12-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom.... easily the most fucked-up film I had ever seen. Forcing people to eat shit is one thing but the continuous amounts of rape and torturous form of violence is definitely pushing the limits. Great film but I'm never seeing that again.

Piko
12-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Just starting season two or battlestar galactica.

miss k bee
12-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Watched Avengers Assemble on TV, didn't work for till the last 30 mins. Twitter was going mad for it.

elevenism
12-26-2014, 06:14 PM
i feel compelled to warn people NOT to watch Robin Wright in The Congress.

It looks really deceptively interesting, but it's really just a tripped out cartoon. The plot barely makes any fucking sense.

I would have thought it was great and said you should eat acid and watch it when i was about 16.

miss k bee
12-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Maleficent. Not bad but a bit too CGI heavy. Story felt it was missing something though. Nice wings.

Fixer808
12-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Maleficent. Not bad but a bit too CGI heavy. Story felt it was missing something though. Nice wings.

I thought it was a terrible vanity project. Jolie is the worst.

WorzelG
12-28-2014, 02:28 PM
We managed to miss Homeland last week but recorded it and are about to crack open some wine and watch a season end double header tonight

miss k bee
12-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Exodus - not quite as epic as I thought it might be. Few bits of nice cinematography but a bit meh.

eversonpoe
12-29-2014, 08:26 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNzQ3ODUzNDY2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg0ODY2MTE@._ V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

my wife and i finished watching this about 10 minutes ago.
nicholas brendon (believably) as someone other than xander, a fantastic and understated score, and a complete mind-fuck that was so satisfying. i already want to watch it again and show it to someone else. we were both so fully satisfied by watching this film it's incredible.

p.s. don't look it up, don't watch the trailer, just watch the movie. the less you know, the better.

Pillfred
12-30-2014, 02:06 AM
The Wanderers

Millionaire
12-31-2014, 07:41 AM
Just got back from a double at the theatre. Birdman is as good as you've heard and well worth your time, and Unbroken toes the line between profound and sappy(nearer to sappy).

green
12-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Watched Tusk last night. Funny and worth the wait imo. :p

Dra508
12-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Unbroken toes the line between profound and sappy(nearer to sappy).I read the book. How can the horror of a Japanese POW camp be sappy?

Downton Rediscovered. Catching up in advance of the 5th season starting in the US soon. I forgot how much I like Maggie Smith.

Anyone watch Bosch on Amazon? Not understanding IMDB has a whole season filmed but only the pilot from this past winter available.

Millionaire
01-01-2015, 02:30 AM
^Because it tries to hammer its inspirational tone into you with some very cliche dialogue that have been done to death. But, as with all art, its subjective and your mileage may vary.

WorzelG
01-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Watching the Spielberg TinTin film - I am really spooked out by the live / animation mix on the characters, it's horrible, I just can't get past it

Pillfred
01-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Got some movies the other day.

Sin City: Dame ...
Not bad imo. I felt it carried the same sort theme as the first. Different story but I thought it carried a similar vibe.

Her
Not bad a bit slow but I expected that. Decent overall.

47 Ronin
Bits of meh, but otherwise a fun movie.

kdrcraig
01-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Watched The Equalizer last night. Pretty cool, I love when Denzel Washington plays a bad ass

Fixer808
01-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Gone Girl. Meh. Decent soundtrack.

Pillfred
01-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Got "The Drop" see how it is.

allegro
01-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Downton Abbey, Season 5.

Khrz
01-06-2015, 04:44 PM
I just saw Lucy.

It was like a joint effort from John Woo and Michael Bay to realize a script by Stanley Kubrick. At this point I don't know if I should embed my palm deep into my face, or kneel down in awe. It was like dying and finding out Heaven is real, and God is a llama in a tutu wearing a necklace made of pacifiers. I have never seen so much megalomania mixed with so much stupidity, trying to embrace the meaning of the Universe and Life and Bouncing Cars.
This movie attempts to build the definitive bridge between Stephen Hawking, Carl Jung, and Bozo the Juggaloo.
It may be awesome, I wouldn't know, my brain has 404'ed since then.

Fixer808
01-06-2015, 04:48 PM
I just saw Lucy.

It was like a joint effort from John Woo and Michael Bay to realize a script by Stanley Kubrick. At this point I don't know if I should embed my palm deep into my face, or kneel down in awe. It was like dying and finding out Heaven is real, and God is a llama in a tutu wearing a necklace made of pacifiers. I have never seen so much megalomania mixed with so much stupidity, trying to embrace the meaning of the Universe and Life and Bouncing Cars.
This movie attempts to build the definitive bridge between Stephen Hawking, Carl Jung, and Bozo the Juggaloo.
It may be awesome, I wouldn't know, my brain has 404'ed since then.
I was unimpressed. Also, I think I posted before that it's going to win the Oscar for "Most Abrupt Ending".

Khrz
01-06-2015, 04:55 PM
I am impressed. So definitely impressed. That film has been made. Someone wrote it. Someone read it. Someone bought it. Someone worked hard on that, a whole army of people did. Nobody looked behind, nobody gave up, no seppuku among the crew, no spontaneous combustions, it all went well from start to finish.
The Room feels like a trainwreck. Lucy feels like someone actually thought a train could gain enough momentum to jump over the length of ten other trains.
It is here. A monument to humanity. What is the Meaning of life ? Backflip to the face.
We should send this to space so that intelligent alien races find it. Let them make of it what they can.

Deadpool
01-06-2015, 05:09 PM
^Haha! I like your analysis, Khrz!

Lucy was definitely batshit, but maybe I was too infatuated with Besson returning to the director's chair for a sci-fi/action film to care about its imperfections - or more to the point: its ambitions. I'm sure I'm not the only person on the board to worship at the altar of Léon and The Fifth Element.

I've been catching up on a lot of flicks over the past few weeks. Some highlights:

-Night Moves: there's a thick, creepy atmosphere to this movie that's really compelling. It's consistently eerie. Reliably good performances from Jesse Eisenberg and Peter Sarsgaard, too.

-Coherence: brilliant, micro-budget sci-fi. Very, very inspiring and highly recommended (particularly if you're in Black Mirror withdrawal). It's like a feature length Twilight Zone episode. It's free on Amazon Prime streaming!

-I Origins: Like Coherence, this movie has a unique approach to the sci-fi genre. Yet, whereas Coherence has fairly strong elements of mystery/horror, I Origins explores the spiritual. I imagine this being a divisive film, but I was a big fan.

Khrz
01-06-2015, 05:26 PM
I loathe Besson, to be honest. That's my elitist, french self-loathing side I guess. So when my girlfriend said she wanted to watch it (I knew about the premise already) I said "*sigh*, alright then..."

But I don't know if it's incredibly stupid, or groundbreaking, or both, honestly. I really suspect the former, not because I hate the guy and most of his work, but because I can identify all the pieces he made to create this quilt of insanity. The assemblage is novel, the parts aren't.
If it weren't for Besson, I'd suspect some very elaborate surrealist prank, like if Jodorowsky decided "screw symbolism, I'll just mess with them fucks !". That would be as great as Duchamp's Fountain, the movie to kill all movies.
But it's Besson, so I suspect he saw Matrix and 2001 recently and decided he could do without all the mumbo jumbo, like for example a story...
But maybe I got it wrong and it's actually brilliant. I feel completely unfit to judge, at this point.

Dra508
01-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Downton Abbey, Season 5.Critics are snoozing. I enjoyed the Manners special. I totally see where my grandmother got her amazing manners.

green
01-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Gozu (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361668/) 3/5, may have to watch again.

Pillfred
01-07-2015, 01:13 AM
Just saw Birdman, pretty decent. Now to finish the night with Kingpin.

Substance242
01-07-2015, 08:10 AM
"The Drop" worked very well for me, kinda slow, old-school movie, but... not really slow or old-school. ;-)

(Also "Locke", Tom Hardy's previous movie, was slightly similar - only one person almost all the time.)

Edo
01-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Just watched Under the Skin. Somehow it reminded me of Andrei Tarkovsky's films. Loved it, especially the ending.

Pillfred
01-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Commando
Rae Dawn Chong has to be one of the best names ever.

elevenism
01-07-2015, 10:58 PM
the godfather 2 tonight

yesterday the first one

before that the Inside the American Mob series on netflix

and before that the entire sopranos series

i'm hooked. but what am i gonna watch now? :(

i haven't watched all of the new lillyhammer yet, so at least there's that.

EDIT: oh hey btw i saw Boyhood today.
definitely worth checking out.
Richard Linklater filmed the same cast over TWELVE fucking years...so they really age.
it was pretty damn good...very, very unique.

Pillfred
01-07-2015, 11:19 PM

Donnie Brasco, Goodfellas, The Departed, Casino?

elevenism
01-08-2015, 12:57 AM
Donnie Brasco, Goodfellas, The Departed, Casino?

i haven't seen donnie brasco or casino. thanks man

Pillfred
01-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Whaaaa? Both, excellent.

thevoid99
01-08-2015, 03:33 PM
A Day at the Races starring the Marx Brothers. Harpo is my favorite.

elevenism
01-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Whaaaa? Both, excellent.

i pretty much watch movies full time for now.

What else have you seen that's good?

TheyCallMeDrug
01-08-2015, 09:53 PM
big leak of academy screeners

https://torrentfreak.com/leaked-oscar-movie-screeners-flood-torrent-sites-150108/

Space Suicide
01-08-2015, 11:15 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/TheShield_Complete_2013re-release.jpg

decadent
01-09-2015, 04:05 AM

https://torrentfreak.com/leaked-oscar-movie-screeners-flood-torrent-sites-150108/

I was wondering how all those tasty movies ended up at my fav torrent site :)

fillow
01-09-2015, 05:09 AM
The shows I watched and loved:

Band of Brothers
Pacific
Homeland
Generation Kill
Boss
House of Cards
The Newsroom
Treme
The Wire
The Killing
True Detective
Boardwalk Empire

recommend me some more in this vein that I might like (skipping the obvious and most popular choices like Breaking Bad, Dexter, Misfits)

decadent
01-09-2015, 06:00 AM
You should check out:

The Following
Fargo
Bron/Broen

theburningreptile
01-09-2015, 06:28 AM
The Blacklist. My favorite show now. Red is extremely charming yet lethal and I love it. The show has sparked an obsession in me. I want to check out his filmography. I'm starting with the Watcher, Stargate and Supernova. Anything else I should add? He's my favorite actor too besides Daniel Day Lewis.

Vertigo
01-09-2015, 06:59 AM
James Spader? The Secretary, Sex Lies & Videotape, Crash (the Cronenberg one). Wolf is silly/enjoyable, he has an important role but isn't on-screen very often. Boston Legal gives you a virtually endless supply of Spader, but though he's always great, the show is tough watching in the middle seasons.
I'm sure there are a bunch more worth recommending, but none that I've seen.

The shows I watched and loved:

Band of Brothers
Pacific
Homeland
Generation Kill
Boss
House of Cards
The Newsroom
Treme
The Wire
The Killing
True Detective
Boardwalk Empire

recommend me some more in this vein that I might like (skipping the obvious and most popular choices like Breaking Bad, Dexter, Misfits)

An Honourable Woman, Southland, Romanzo Criminale, The Sopranos (obvious one, but you didn't list it).

fillow
01-09-2015, 07:32 AM
The Sopranos (obvious one, but you didn't list it).
I actually started it a while ago but dropped after 3 or 4 episodes. It didn't catch me. Does get better?

Oh and I totally failed to mention Hannibal amongst those that I loved.
(There are more that I watched obviously, but they don't fall into war/criminal/politics category that I'm currently hooked onto)

Vertigo
01-09-2015, 08:31 AM
*Shrugs* I started with the fourth season with the Sopranos, so I'm not sure how the first season must look without context. I would at least advise trying to get a bit further into that season, I know The Wire didn't grab me until very late in its first year. Some shows just take a while to get their hooks in.
My opinion though, Sopranos is probably the best show of all time.

If you're into political shows, and don't mind branching out into comedy, you might want to try Veep. It's definitely not for everyone, and I didn't like it initially. Maybe start from this last season, with the show having found its legs.

Fixer808
01-09-2015, 06:51 PM

Heat. Not THE Heat...
Ronin.

elevenism
01-10-2015, 06:48 PM

oh hell yeah!
thanks for the heads up.
i mean...uh...yeah...because i hate piracy and i want to stage a protest.

TheyCallMeDrug
01-10-2015, 08:33 PM
oh hell yeah!
thanks for the heads up.
i mean...uh...yeah...because i hate piracy and i want to stage a protest.

the story on this years drop is more interesting than normal. every year we get em in drip drip drip fashion week by week. this year they flooded the net in about 7 hours.

my guess from the quality is some amateur got his hands on them for a short period of time and went to work as fast as he could ripping them.

miss k bee
01-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy was ok, just ok.

elevenism
01-11-2015, 05:34 PM

but...but it had a talking raccoon!

miss k bee
01-11-2015, 07:22 PM
but...but it had a talking raccoon!

Well yes and an appearance by Howard the Duck!

allegro
01-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Critics are snoozing. I enjoyed the Manners special. I totally see where my grandmother got her amazing manners.
My grandmother expected those manners of us, as well. My mother was sent to finishing school, lol. But I sincerely doubt we appear in Burk's Peerage haha.

I disagree with the critics; I love season 5, already.

implanted_microchip
01-11-2015, 09:13 PM
http://www.impawards.com/2012/posters/master_ver4.jpg

Somehow despite considering myself a PTA fan I missed this. Finally caught up to it. I know like most of his work it's the kind of film I'm going to digest for a while, and even after a couple more viewings will probably shift what I feel about it around, but at the moment it's maybe my favorite work of his, or at least right there beside TWBB and Magnolia. It really made me miss PSH, and made me realize that one day I'll have run out of films of his to see. Also, the fact that this didn't get Best Cinematography or Best Picture and somehow Django Unchained got nominated and not it is just insulting.

Millionaire
01-12-2015, 04:16 AM
Nightcrawler was good shit. Its got an awesome gritty vibe, Donnie Darko is great in it(he's subtly built a pretty damn good acting filmography, thinking back on it), and its got a fantastic premise. If you've been interested in it, don't read up on it or youtube a trailer, just give it a watch.

marodi
01-12-2015, 05:12 PM

And Dancing Baby Groot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEPbXYzE5_Y

I'd watch 2 hours of Dancing Baby Groot.

Wretchedest
01-12-2015, 11:15 PM
many of my favorite shows return this week.... and the pirate bay is down.
how do I watch them?

Ryan
01-13-2015, 06:46 AM
American History X on TV.

eversonpoe
01-13-2015, 10:57 AM
many of my favorite shows return this week.... and the pirate bay is down.
how do I watch them?

search for "kickass" on google. that's my alternative and works almost as well (and the ads are slightly less annoying)

ambergris
01-13-2015, 01:41 PM
My first Game of Thrones rewatch, now that the fourth season will be on free TV from today on (yes, german free TV is very, very slow). It made me realize how incredibly flawless the first season was. Small mistakes start creeping in with season 2 (like Jaime Lannister murdering that unimportant Lannister/Frey squire in captivity and the completely shameless cliffhanger at the end of the season). It gets a little worse in season 3 with the torture porn, and then worse again in season 4 with the was-it-rape-scene and pacing issues. It's still a fantastic series though, but not everything worked perfectly.

Vertigo
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
A lot of season 1 felt very creaky to me, I remember wondering at the time why everyone was jizzing over GoT while ignoring The Borgias. Season 4's the highest consistent standard for the show so far, in my opinion.

ambergris
01-14-2015, 05:58 AM
A lot of season 1 felt very creaky to me, I remember wondering at the time why everyone was jizzing over GoT while ignoring The Borgias. Season 4's the highest consistent standard for the show so far, in my opinion.

Interesting! Did you read the books? I watched Season 1-3 before reading them (books 1-3). Initially, season one is probably a bit overwhelming with all the characters and the setting. But with the context of the books (and the latter series) in mind, I found season 1 very smooth.

sentient02970
01-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Finally watched Nolan's "Following" on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised to notice aspects of Inception, Memento and Batman in the film even though it was his first real movie. It has some sense of predictability in it but I love the film noir quality of it.

Vertigo
01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Interesting! Did you read the books? I watched Season 1-3 before reading them (books 1-3). Initially, season one is probably a bit overwhelming with all the characters and the setting. But with the context of the books (and the latter series) in mind, I found season 1 very smooth.

I haven't read the books, no, but that does highlight one of the big issues of season 1 for a new watcher - the fact that so much conversation is about people, places and events that you don't see, and happened long ago.
But yeah, that is an issue that's negated on re-watching, knowing what happens next. There are problems remaining, however, with stunted dialogue in many episodes, and actors who hadn't yet grown into their characters. The show starts to come alive from A Golden Crown though, I wish they'd bring back Jane Espenson to write more episodes.

Fixer808
01-14-2015, 05:31 PM
I got my wife into "...Sunny". :)
http://i.imgur.com/i910wYH.png

thevoid99
01-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Conrad and Butler in "Conrad and Butler Take a Vacation" from the Criterion DVD for Noah Baumbach's Kicking and Screaming as part of a Noah Baumbach retrospective I'm sort of working on.

Space Suicide
01-14-2015, 11:04 PM
I got my wife into "...Sunny". :)
http://i.imgur.com/i910wYH.png

Watch the season 10 premiere tonight?

Fixer808
01-14-2015, 11:15 PM
'Fraid not, I'm not quite up to date (only halfway through season 8, she's just finished season 1).

elevenism
01-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Good god Nightcrawler was a trip.

implanted_microchip
01-16-2015, 04:24 PM
http://content8.flixster.com/movie/11/18/73/11187394_det.jpg

Haven't stopped wanting to cry since finishing it. Gorgeous and perfect and overwhelmingly depressing.

decadent
01-17-2015, 03:10 AM
Started warching The affair last night and i am already halfway through. I like the split episodes and all the details they put into them.

elevenism
01-17-2015, 07:39 AM
The Theory of Everything was disappointing.

GulDukat
01-17-2015, 12:13 PM
Star Trek: The Animated Series.

Exocet
01-17-2015, 10:10 PM
American Sniper....something about that man which this is based on, Chris Kyle, really interested me, read about him when he was alive he had a real intensity.
The film was good, however its not the film i expected. Hoped for more examination into him as a person and his psychology.
Its basically a very well executed Iraq war film, like the Hurt Locker with cuts back to Texas.
Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller were both good. Worth seeing.

theruiner
01-18-2015, 07:14 PM
So, I watched Frank on my brother's recommendation, even though I really didn't think it looked very good. But I figured I would give it a chance since it was on Netflix and, holy crap, I was shocked by how good it ended up being. It was funny, fun and surprisingly endearing. I was really, really impressed. The ending was a bit of a let down (but not terrible) but it didn't dampen how good the movie was up to that point. Well worth watching.

Millionaire
01-19-2015, 01:23 AM
The first episode of 12 Monkeys the show was pretty good. Its different from the Gilliam film, more sedate. I'm a huge fan of the film and wasn't expecting much, but I thought it was well-done.

Pillfred
01-19-2015, 02:34 AM
Dracula: untold. I'm a huge vampire nerd, we'll see how it is.

elevenism
01-19-2015, 05:51 AM
Dracula: untold. I'm a huge vampire nerd, we'll see how it is.
you still up? how was it? i was about to do the same.

dlb
01-19-2015, 08:21 AM
American Sniper....something about that man which this is based on, Chris Kyle, really interested me, read about him when he was alive he had a real intensity.
The film was good, however its not the film i expected. Hoped for more examination into him as a person and his psychology.
Its basically a very well executed Iraq war film, like the Hurt Locker with cuts back to Texas.
Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller were both good. Worth seeing.

I have that still on my list but never got around to seeing it as I assumed this was pretty much focused on him getting back to normal life. And yeah, I'm not really into that at the moment. So this is really more a war movie like Hurt Locker you say?

implanted_microchip
01-19-2015, 03:36 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM2MTI5NzA3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODExNTc0OA@@._ V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

I was very surprised by how much I was enjoying this up until the third act. Jennifer Lawrence really carried much of it, DeNiro was putting in a level of effort he's simply not given to a film in ages, and it seemed to be really taking both a comedic and serious look at mental illness and how it affects relationships and life. And then the third act happened, and all of a sudden it turned into a typical "Love solves everything, even ingrained mental disorders!" Hollywood ending that just put me off heavily. It could've been a lot more, and the entire ending felt like a forced storybook ending made to make audiences happy rather than continue confronting and dealing with the serious issues the two protagonists had. It was like they were different characters all of a sudden. It just disappointed me quite a bit, because it could've amounted to so much more than it did. It just conformed very heavily in the last 30 minutes to a formula that is so tired and worn, and it's insulting in a way.

So I followed that up with

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Valhalla_rising_poster_dk.jpg

Absolutely stunned me. I've seen Bronson, Drive and Only God Forgives, enjoying the first two and finding the third to be really empty and lackluster, although I plan on giving it another chance someday. Anyone who browses the Hannibal thread knows I'm a fan, and so Mads Mikkelsen is a bit of a selling point for me. Refn, Mikkelsen and Norse mythology in the same film pretty much sounded to die for, and it ended up being one of the most interesting films I've watched in a while. Not for everyone, but definitely delves into the artsy, borderline pretentious style and imagery that fans of Refn love and those who hate him hate. It's one I know will be in my head for a while, and I'm strongly considering buying the score on red vinyl; it worked so well in favor of creating the atmosphere and mood the movie had. It could've been either too gratuitous or too boring and somehow the film manages to walk a very thin line between the two; there's highly brutal violence, but it's not over-bearing; there's lots of silence and long stretches of camerawork and scenes, but those manage to simply help craft an atmosphere. I certainly felt absorbed by it, and was thoroughly immersed in its bleak landscapes, contrasted by some gorgeous cinematography at later points and the vivid black and red visions of One-Eye. I'm really looking forward to giving it a rewatch, and seeing what I think of it later on.

Magtig
01-19-2015, 11:22 PM
An Honourable Woman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honourable_Woman) - 8 part BBC series (with a crap name) starring Maggie Gyllenhall -who won a Golden Globe for best actress for her work.

Normally I never have a problem following anything, but this one is pretty complex (in a good way). Many of the scenes could be still artworks in their own right. I loved this series.

Also just rewatched the entire Battlestar Galactica Series again for the fourth or fifth time. Still love it (except about half a dozen bloat episodes).

Space Suicide
01-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Mmmm just bought A Walk Among the Tombstones today on blu-ray. I shall watch it tomorrow night. Been looking forward to it. I've heard mixed things but it looks like it's up my alley.

Fixer808
01-20-2015, 01:25 AM
The Interview. Dumb as hell, predictable as hell, but still kinda funny. Certainly nothing to write to Pyongyang about.

onthewall2983
01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKkpwOds3BY

decadent
01-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Mmmm just bought A Walk Among the Tombstones today on blu-ray. I shall watch it tomorrow night. Been looking forward to it. I've heard mixed things but it looks like it's up my alley.

The best thing about this movie is the trailer.

Space Suicide
01-20-2015, 05:48 PM
The best thing about this movie is the trailer.

Haha, so I've heard. A lot are unfavorable to it since it's "painfully slow, doesn't deliver and basically doesn't live up to Neeson's past films."

Pillfred
01-21-2015, 02:17 AM
I thought it was decent. Watching it again due to this post as I was pretty drunk the first time I watched it and am pretty sure have I bits of out confused with The Equalizer.

decadent
01-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Haha, so I've heard. A lot are unfavorable to it since it's "painfully slow, doesn't deliver and basically doesn't live up to Neeson's past films."

Based on the trailer I expected something as dark as 8mm, but also with Neesons intensity. Unfortunately that is not the case and sometimes the movie feels like its made for TV. There are good parts, but the majority is pretty disappointing and the sub-plot (the kid) is beyond ridicilous and totally unnecessary.

ambergris
01-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Except for Batman, I have never cared about superhero movies. But I thought I should try to understand the phenomenon, so I try to catch them when they're on TV now. Iron Man was ok. Sort of ridiculous, but ok, it was not the libertarian dream I had expected. The Return of the First Avenger, however, was just too much. I stopped watching when Captain America destroyed a jetfighter with his shield or something. Yes, I got that "America is soul-searching after 9/11" but the "serious comic book movie" doesn't work when the action is so over-the-top. Also, Robert Redford has become old.

Vertigo
01-21-2015, 01:00 PM
If you're on the lookout for good superhero movies, I suggest the first X-men, Superman (with Christopher Reeve) and Spiderman (with Tobey Maguire). Sounds like you've already seen The Dark Knight. If you have a high tolerance for ultraviolence, Kick-ass is pretty fun too.

ambergris
01-21-2015, 01:17 PM
If you're on the lookout for good superhero movies, I suggest the first X-men, Superman (with Christopher Reeve) and Spiderman (with Tobey Maguire). Sounds like you've already seen The Dark Knight. If you have a high tolerance for ultraviolence, Kick-ass is pretty fun too.

Thanks! Yes, I forgot I watched the first three X-men movies (Gandalf and Cpt. Picard!) and liked them. I didn't understand why the third movie is not liked as much. I never really watched the Superman movies, because he just strikes me as a boring character. I watched Kick-Ass and loved it, but then, it was a little different. I liked The Dark Knight, but actually prefer the gothic Tim Burton Batman over Nolan's gritty and realistic Batman.

implanted_microchip
01-21-2015, 02:48 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dc/Hardeight.jpg/215px-Hardeight.jpg

Watched this for the first time. Absolutely great crime film that's far more character-focused than anything. Baker is wonderful as Sydney, and it has what might be my favorite performance from Samuel Jackson. As a mild Tim & Eric fan and someone who really loved Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story, it's surreal seeing John C. Reilly in a dramatic role, but then again I felt the same way in Magnolia at first. Once I got past that initial strangeness, he really seemed to slip into this role for me. I'm not a big Paltrow fan either, but really found her totally serviceable in this. In general it's a film where the acting really sells it, and all of the cast do a great job. It's a far cry from things like There Will Be Blood or The Master from PT Anderson but it's still incredibly good, it just has such a different purpose and goal than his more recent work.

@ambergris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=334) people hated X-Men 3 because it changed a lot of the source material for the worse and in general weakened, redesigned and ruined a lot of prominent comic book characters. The Phoenix story line with Jean Grey was watered down beyond belief and in general it just made poor choices with the material it was adapting from. If you're not into comics then that's probably why you liked it (and that's totally fine). I really recommend Hellboy if you haven't seen it, by the way! Really great film by Guillermo Del Toro and has one of the best comic-to-film castings of all time with Ron Perlman in the titular role.

Pillfred
01-28-2015, 01:54 AM
Pretty solid.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=66cYcSak6nE

implanted_microchip
01-28-2015, 08:08 PM
http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Video/v4/dd/dd/1c/dddd1cc7-946d-f597-9be6-03bf33c01535/poster212x312.jpeg

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. I've not seen a Wes Anderson film I didn't enjoy, and I still don't think anything is going to top The Royal Tenenbaums for me as my favorite of his, but this was really pleasant. The warmth/depth I got out of Tenenbaums and to a lesser extent the Life Aquatic just isn't there, but the style certainly is. The score did a great job of being near-constant (I can't remember a moment where it wasn't going, to be honest) and the ensemble cast was great as always in his films. For what it was going for and set out to do, I definitely found it successful. I do kind of hate that a lot of his films have become a running list of famous actors in small parts wearing silly costumes, but it is what it is I suppose. I realize I'm making it sound like I enjoyed it a lot less than I did; it was a total pleasure to watch, and I look forward to seeing it again when I show it to my girlfriend if she's interested.

Bachy
01-28-2015, 11:05 PM
The Big Lebowski:

http://i.imgur.com/fnGjR4Y.jpg

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Kill Bill part 1 and part 2. Again. While I'm cleaning up and rearranging my place.

I DESPERATELY want Tarantino to do one anime-style film. It'll never happen, ever, but still. I'd LOVE to see that.

Vertigo
01-31-2015, 04:23 PM
Going through Breaking Bad again, starting from season 2. Hitting a bit close to home with a personal situation - I've got to ask, most people aren't pathological liars, right? Right?

ambergris
02-01-2015, 07:25 AM
The Millenium trilogy, you know, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Swedish original. Good movies, though not quite matching the hype that was around them or the books. A little too many coincidences and lucky timing. The first movie was the best one, but also a bit too much like Silence of the Lambs. The strong points are the two main characters.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-01-2015, 01:43 PM
A friend turned me on to Prison Break, and I can't lie - I do like it, but holy damn...I can't get over how this show wouldn't even go anywhere is it meant everyone would do their jobs or maybe follow up on information by looking into it. A lady on the outside got upset with a dude in prison because another guy told her that the guy in prison was getting conjugal visits from some other chick. She would TOTALLY request to see the visiting logs and see that's not even a thing. Then there's the fact that the first 30 seconds of the show was a guy finishing a FULL UPPER BODY tattoo, and he just puts a shirt on and leaves to do his business. Motherfucker, your tattoos would be RUINED if you just up and left without taking any care of them first.

It's all just little things, so they annoy me, but when I just look at it as a show and chalk it all up to drama, it's not bad. Pretty solid performances from the main cast.

Digital Twilight
02-01-2015, 03:51 PM
The Venture Brothers

Pillfred
02-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Just watched Nightcrawler and John Wick. Nightcrawler was decent didn't exactly click but I'll watch again sometime. John Wick was fun. I dug the fighting (gun) scenes.

Deadpool
02-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Went on a huge Linklater kick this weekend and it was the best. In order:

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Waking Life
Before Midnight

I'd seen about half of Waking Life around 2006, so it was almost like seeing it for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. I particularly loved Linklater's monologue on Philip K. Dick. I plan on watching it again this week (along with Slacker).

Now the Before trilogy. Wow. I highly recommend watching them over the course of just a few days. It allowed me to absorb each film on its own merits while still keeping the characters and their histories fresh in mind. It was a great and powerful experience. I loved all of them, but Before Midnight (mild spoilers ahead) was outright caustic at times. It was like this strange payoff that had been building up for 2.5 movies and 18 years. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy were incredible. I'm very, very curious what the script-writing process was like. How much was improvised? etc.

Not to take anything away from Derek Cianfrance (who I seriously admire) and Blue Valentine (which I am a big fan of), but the Before movies were like what Cianfrance was dreaming of doing with Blue Valentine. Before had the advantage of a sense of humor and a sense of reality (i.e. aging over real time).

Deadpool
02-09-2015, 02:42 AM
I was one of the 2 people who saw Jupiter Ascending this weekend.

Just got back from an IMAX 3D screening. Keep in mind I am a big Speed Racer fan.
I liked it. It's kind of like Terry Gilliam* doing Dune, sprinkled with balls-out Wachowski spectacle. For my money, the Wachowskis are still doing great, innovative action, which was most apparent in Cain's gravity boots - particularly the first time you see him cut loose with them in the alley. Some really inventive stuff going on there between the surfing on air, ricocheting off surfaces, and stealth. I loved his shield, too. The chase through Chicago reminded me of Star Tours(!!) in the best way. Incredible sound + visuals. I got my money's worth when that scene ended.

I would've liked more Sean Bean of course, but he was great as per usual. Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis were lovely. I've become a big Channing fan as of late.
*I loved Terry Gilliam's cameo. Easily one of my favorite scenes.
Props to Eddie Redmayne for one of the most reptilian, vampiric performances I've ever seen. He was genuinely frightening and slimy to the bone.
There was some fairly elaborate Wachowski exposition RE: the politics of 'The Entitled' but that's part of the reason I want to see it again. I didn't really "get" Speed Racer as a whole until my 3rd viewing (for a kid's movie there's some pretty esoteric dialogue), and now I love it. Not unlike that movie, Jupiter Ascending kind of marches to its own beat. It's not the emotional ride of Interstellar, nor the crowdpleaser that is Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a Space Opera.

*shrug* If you consider yourself a fan of spectacle, I highly recommend seeing this flick. The world of Jupiter is stunningly realized. At its best, it is a very fun, very epic thrill. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't even bother if you can't do IMAX 3D. It's expensive, but worth it.

elevenism
02-09-2015, 03:30 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4tMR5Kl.jpg

sentient02970
02-09-2015, 07:55 AM
A friend turned me on to Prison Break

I've been slowly working my way through it for a few years. I'm up to Season 4 now and have recently got back into it. It's ridiculously unrealistic most of the time but I like the tension it creates, sort of like 24 did. I do like how the cast mixes well and the acting seems spot on. You'll like Season 1 and 2. For me, Season 3 was "wow, this is really happening?" and Season 4 has been "How did we get here?" but it's a fun ride.

baudolino
02-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Sean Dunne's latest documentary "Florida Man" for free: http://www.floridamanthemovie.com/

Tums206_BFY
02-09-2015, 12:22 PM
This weekend I watched Edge of Tomorrow and Fury. I enjoyed both to be honest and were probably better than I expected especially Edge of Tomorrow.

Alexandros
02-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Say, Predestination wasn't half bad! Very strange film experience. I went into it without knowing absolutely anything. I suggest anyone interested does the same.

Millionaire
02-14-2015, 02:19 AM
Just got done with the initial 8 episode run of the Ronald D. Moore series Outlander on Starz. I've never heard of this until a few days ago, but I gave it a look because of Moore's involvement. Its about an English girl who gets transported back to the 1700's Scotland Highlands through some Pagan Stone Henge-esque rocks. Its a mix of World War 1, English period dramas, Braveheart, romance novels(but in a subtle, well done kind of way), with just a hint of Game of Thrones(it even features Edmure Tully in a dual starring role).

I quite liked it. I've always liked seeing old Scotland on film, and its depiction of 1700's Highlander culture is historically accurate and fascinating. Its well acted and nicely paced, never seeming to be in a rush. The story is fairly simple and you can play a drinking game with how many times the lead almost gets raped, but overall its quite good, especially if you're into the whole Scottish 'kilts-and-knife-fights' thing.

ibanez33
02-14-2015, 04:30 AM
Nightcrawler was absolutely fantastic.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Watching more Prison Break. Season 2, episode 14. I think Bellick might be my favorite character at this point in the show. I feel like there are EXTREME similarities with Shane from The Walking Dead. Although, T-Bag is probably the most well-played character of the show, to me. He's just so fun to follow and listen to, as big of a psycho as he might be.

Space Suicide
02-14-2015, 10:44 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FRzyk1vdL._SY300_.jpg

Tums206_BFY
02-15-2015, 04:13 AM
Watched Kingsman this weekend. I enjoyed it, a bit slower pace than I expected but it was a good mix of comedy and action. Fun flick unfortunately box office wise it will overshadowed by 50 Shades but hopefully it did well. Colin Firth was pretty awesome and Taron Egerton was pretty good too. Nice cast.

ibanez33
02-15-2015, 05:05 AM
Just finished Kyle Kinanes "I Liked His Old Stuff Better" stand-up special, loved every minute of it.

Edo
02-15-2015, 05:07 AM
Watched Snowpiercer yesterday. I was surprised to find it an elaborate allegory rather than science fiction. It is definitely well intentioned and ambitious as such, but I was bored throughout. :( Maybe it's just not my thing.

theruiner
02-15-2015, 04:35 PM
So, I finally broke down and watched Edge of Tomorrow after hearing a lot of good things about it. It was...ok. Decent. Nothing special, but worth watching if you're bored, I guess. It was worth the $2 it cost to rent it at Redbox, let's put it that way.

...Except the ending, which I still don't entirely understand (or maybe it's just that it doesn't make any damn sense). Other than that, it was decent.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-15-2015, 05:03 PM
So, I finally broke down and watched Edge of Tomorrow after hearing a lot of good things about it. It was...ok. Decent. Nothing special, but worth watching if you're bored, I guess. It was worth the $2 it cost to rent it at Redbox, let's put it that way.

...Except the ending, which I still don't entirely understand (or maybe it's just that it doesn't make any damn sense). Other than that, it was decent.

You should definitely read the book. It's a pretty easy story to digest, and there are a lot of little things they left out or rushed for the sake of the movie being a movie. I thought the movie was fine. Not the best way to adapt the story, but it was a good try. It was at least fun to see Tom Cruise as kind of a bitch for a little while instead of being the big strong lead character through the entire movie.

Also, the book ending is WAY cooler than the movie ending, in my opinion. I would've loved to see that ending go down instead.

Millionaire
02-16-2015, 01:13 AM
Watched Kingsman this weekend. I enjoyed it, a bit slower pace than I expected but it was a good mix of comedy and action. Fun flick unfortunately box office wise it will overshadowed by 50 Shades but hopefully it did well. Colin Firth was pretty awesome and Taron Egerton was pretty good too. Nice cast.
Saw this too. It was a lot better than the commercials made it look. Its really fun and violent in hilarious ways. It did alright this weekend, too, getting about 35 mil.

ambergris
02-18-2015, 05:57 AM
Maybe that's something for the controversial opinions thread, but... I'm liking Woody Allen's movies more and more...
In the past two weeks I watched Match Point, Scoop and Blue Jasmine. Match Point is basically three movies in one, first, a hard-hitting class-based social movie, then a typical Woody-esque romantic comedy and then a retelling of Dostojevski's Crime and Punishment. I seem to like Scoop more than many others. But Woody reminds me of my grandfather in this movie, and I actually like Hugh Jackman in there as well. Blue Jasmine is even more about class than Match Point, and quite nasty.
His movies are just really well-told. They are never too long. Even the heavy ones carry a certain lightness, if one can say that. Blue Jasmine reminded me a bit of Volver, and I think the style of Almodovar and Allen is actually quite similar or getting rather similar.

Pillfred
02-19-2015, 02:27 AM
Apocalypse Now, over three days. WTF!?

Dra508
02-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Maybe that's something for the controversial opinions thread, but... I'm liking Woody Allen's movies more and more...
In the past two weeks I watched Match Point, Scoop and Blue Jasmine. Match Point is basically three movies in one, first, a hard-hitting class-based social movie, then a typical Woody-esque romantic comedy and then a retelling of Dostojevski's Crime and Punishment. I seem to like Scoop more than many others. But Woody reminds me of my grandfather in this movie, and I actually like Hugh Jackman in there as well. Blue Jasmine is even more about class than Match Point, and quite nasty.
His movies are just really well-told. They are never too long. Even the heavy ones carry a certain lightness, if one can say that. Blue Jasmine reminded me a bit of Volver, and I think the style of Almodovar and Allen is actually quite similar or getting rather similar.Go watch all the oldies. Love and Death is one of my favorites - hilarous. Interiors, I was so depressed afterwards.

Binge watched Bosch on Amazon. I read one of the books and I think they did a decent job keeping the characters the same. Several familiar faces from the 80's and 90's in supporting roles.

allegro
02-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Go watch all the oldies. Love and Death is one of my favorites - hilarous.
Love and Death still makes me laugh SO hard. And I've seen Annie Hall too many times to count but will still watch it again and again.

Dra508
02-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Love and Death still makes me laugh SO hard. And I've seen Annie Hall too many times to count but will still watch it again and again.

Classic
http://youtu.be/IFjttC_AGsU

allegro
02-19-2015, 03:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F9MEagVVrc

implanted_microchip
02-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Finally saw Nightcrawler the other night. Blew me away. I'd heard tons of praise for it for a while and had wanted to see it in theatres but missed it and I still had my expectations surpassed. Maybe my favorite film of 2014 (still need to see Birdman, Boyhood and Whiplash).

miss k bee
02-21-2015, 02:38 PM
The Great Budapest Hotel - was ok, eccentric (I am not a Wes Anderson fan), beautiful cinematography and set scenes

Selma was good, cried at some parts, everyone in the cinema was so quiet when the credits came on, thought no one was going to leave!

theruiner
02-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Nightcrawler was FANTASTIC. I went in with relatively low expectations and was very happily surprised at how great it was. I had no idea where that movie was going. So good.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-23-2015, 10:49 AM
The Wire: starring every black actor you've seen in anything in the last 10 years.

I'm only half an hour in, and I'm diggin' it so far. Keep hearing that season 1 takes some time, but I'm usually pretty patient with that kinda stuff.

Dra508
02-23-2015, 02:59 PM
The Wire: starring every black actor you've seen in anything in the last 10 years.

I'm only half an hour in, and I'm diggin' it so far. Keep hearing that season 1 takes some time, but I'm usually pretty patient with that kinda stuff.

I got through season 1 and part of 2 and had to put it aside. It's like drinking from a fire hose, at least for me it was.

Saw the series finale of Two and 1/2 men. Meh meh, however I appreciated the very last scene.

implanted_microchip
02-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Watched 20,000 Days On Earth yesterday and found it really compelling, offering a unique version of Nick Cave and feeling like it exists outside of fiction/non-fiction. It may be all fictional yet it's all true if that makes any sense. It definitely made me feel really artistically inspired, made me want to write more and just felt like a great watch for anyone interested in the creative process.

I just finished watching A Coffee In Berlin and enjoyed it. It's a German film about a college drop out in Berlin, taking place over the course of a single day as he tries to get a cup of coffee (I'm over-simplifying beyond belief, but really, had he owned a drip pot or French press this would have been very short). It had flaws for sure but at its best was very good. I've been really fascinated lately by films set in a single day or so or that just attempt to offer a sense or feeling of life rather than some grand narrative, and this was another good example of that type of film.

implanted_microchip
02-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Whiplash was absolutely stunning. I still need to see Birdman before really judging but at the moment I'm surprised that didn't get more Oscars. It's one I can tell I'm going to see several more times and be thinking about for a while. The editing, lighting, use of music and just raw acting all came together and did their jobs perfectly. I can usually have complaints about most films even when I really enjoy them and I'm having a tough time thinking of anything I could really say bothered me.

Bachy
02-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Finally saw John Wick. Watching it again now. Pretty much everything one could want in an action flick. I don't care if the story's been told a million times over, I still love it. The soundtrack is quite good as well.

Oh, and I can unequivocally say that I would do the same thing if someone killed my dog.

Pillfred
02-27-2015, 01:58 AM
I really enjoyed that film. Pretty much for the same reasons.

Just finished Hannibal season 2. I Fucking Love this show.

Space Suicide
02-27-2015, 04:02 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/CheckItOutWithDrSteveBrule_S1.jpg

Just a bunch of hunks

october_midnight
02-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Just finished this. Stop what you're doing and watch it immediately.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Whiplash_poster.jpg

ryanmcfly
03-02-2015, 10:10 AM
In the last week due to being iced in here, I've watched:
John Wick (really impressed with this one)
Bad Boys II (old favorite, cheesy goodness.)
Valkyrie
Pacific Rim (Finally got around to watching this, can't wait for the sequel)
And a lot of That 70's Show and Family Feud.

Millionaire
03-02-2015, 10:13 PM
I'd really like a sequel to John Wick. In an interview the directors said they'd want to do it and they could, without a doubt, top the action in the first one. The thing is the movie made its money back, but wasn't a megahit or anything. Hopefully they can go it a go, because after people see this at home they'd be down to show up for the sequel. I'd like to see Keanu try new and unique ways of pulling off headshots.

Deadpool
03-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Good news, Millionaire!

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/lionsgate-planning-john-wick-sequel-1201426183/

eversonpoe
03-03-2015, 12:08 AM
just watched this trailer and HOLY SHIT do i want to see this film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ngDiG9V8w

and then i get to the end of the trailer and it's written & directed by ryan gosling? FUCK YEAH!

thevoid99
03-03-2015, 12:28 AM
just watched this trailer and HOLY SHIT do i want to see this film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ngDiG9V8w

and then i get to the end of the trailer and it's written & directed by ryan gosling? FUCK YEAH!

I've heard some bad things about it but I still want to see it.

thelastdisciple
03-03-2015, 01:13 AM
Star Wars Rebels season 1 finale, it was SO good.

implanted_microchip
03-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Kingsman: The Secret Service was so much fun to watch. Had nothing but a good time with it.

ibanez33
03-04-2015, 03:01 AM
Burning Love is so god damn hilarious, can't believe I'd never heard of this show before. It's a perfect parody of The Bachelor with a stacked cast and some amazing dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx03b48L_5k

ibanez33
03-04-2015, 06:58 AM
Burning Love is so god damn hilarious, can't believe I'd never heard of this show before. It's a perfect parody of The Bachelor with a stacked cast and some amazing dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx03b48L_5k

Aaaaand I just finished the first season and it was amazing. Starting season 2 now and it looks even better.

eversonpoe
03-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Cuban Fury

based on an idea by and starring nick frost as a former salsa dancer. it was fun, funny, and adorable. the supporting cast were all fantastic, rashida jones was charmingly dorky, and chris o'dowd was great, but it was really hard to see him being such an a-hole.

orestes
03-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Finally jumped on the Arrow bandwagon.

Your Name Here
03-07-2015, 11:21 AM

elevenism
03-09-2015, 01:56 AM
we just binge watched this dope ass mini-series called The Red Road on netflix...6 episodes straight through.

sentient02970
03-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Amazing!
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTgzODMyMjcyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTAyMjMyMjE@._ V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Wretchedest
03-09-2015, 02:39 PM
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Its a great, hilarious, laught out loud kind of show, but sometimes its missing something and thats hard to put my finger on. Sometimes the humor is really bizarre. Still a great new show.

Millionaire
03-09-2015, 10:58 PM
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Its a great, hilarious, laught out loud kind of show, but sometimes its missing something and thats hard to put my finger on. Sometimes the humor is really bizarre. Still a great new show.
I watched three episodes of this the other day. Quite like it. Its co-created by Tina Fey, and the 30 Rock feel to the humor is something I've been missing.

Just saw Enemy, the Jake Gyllenhaal starring film. Great stuff. It has some nice David Lynch and Momento influences, and it pulls off being ambiguous without seeming entirely like artsy wankery. The ending fucking freaked me out. Like many folks, I'm a bit of an arachnophobe and had to deal with a facehugger-sized monstrosity in my house the other day. That spider at the end(which represent the guy's fear of female intimacy) was pretty damn realistic CG, and the suddenness of its appearance and its movement really gave me the heebie jeebies. It was pretty awesome, thinking about it now.

Deadpool
03-10-2015, 01:12 AM
Just watched FAULTS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ylsmarMnE) starring Leland Orser (you know him from a lot, but most likely Se7en) and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. It is fucking terrific. Among many other things, it is consistently yet subtly funny, absurd, creepy, claustrophobic, etc. Orser's one of those actors who's good in everything but he finally gets a chance to take center stage with a seriously meaty role and he doesn't waste a single opportunity. I hope he wins real recognition for this performance. Winstead matches Orser easily, and the two of them make a great, bizarre pair.

It's in select theaters, and also on VOD, iTunes, etc. See it, see it, see it, see it, see it

Pillfred
03-10-2015, 01:43 AM
Holy shit! That looks awesome. I'll leave my thoughts after I see this. Looks like my kind of movie.

WorzelG
03-11-2015, 04:39 AM
Went to see Fifty Shades of Grey last night, wow that was a bad film. It actually seemed better than it was at first, just because I thought they'd have some annoying voice over of Anastasias voice saying 'oh my' or 'holy crap' all the way through, but they didn't and that made her a lot less irritating, but it was still shit

Millionaire
03-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Rewatched The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I liked some elements of it, but as a whole...*sigh*. It just doesn't have the vibe of the book. I'm usually not inclined to remakes or reboots, but this would be welcome, especially as a TV show with a good budget. With the quality of a decent chunk of TV today being pretty high, they could do a nice job with this, and won't have to compress stuff for a movie runtime or leave things out. Pretty please, HBO?

implanted_microchip
03-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Just saw Prisoners (2013) with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal, and wow. I couldn't imagine watching it if I had kids. Incredible film, but just so emotionally heavy. I knew nothing about the plot going in and am glad but was just really taken off guard by how difficult of a watch it is emotionally. Dying to see Enemy now.

Deadpool
03-17-2015, 02:56 AM
Umm just finished HBO's The Jinx miniseries and it completely met my high expectations. Watch it as soon as you can. By far the most chilling ending to any documentary I've ever seen.

ibanez33
03-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Fight Club

decadent
03-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Just watched Monsters Dark Continent. What a stupid fucking movie, i am so pissed off! Why on earth do you make a fucking middle east war movie out of a monsters movie sequel? Worst movie in a long time and yesterday i saw Another Earth!

Space Suicide
03-17-2015, 08:26 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/IZombie_promotional_poster.png

I'm loving it. :p

thelastdisciple
03-17-2015, 08:30 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/IZombie_promotional_poster.png

I'm loving it. :p
I've got that set to record since it's on at the same time as Shield but yeah I'm really looking forward to it.

Space Suicide
03-17-2015, 08:31 PM
I've got that set to record since it's on at the same time as Shield but yeah I'm really looking forward to it.

It rules so far. I think I'm going to reallllllly love this show.

Dra508
03-17-2015, 09:47 PM
Russell Brand Messiah Complex. I liked it. He sure is better read then most Americans.

sentient02970
03-19-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm now starting Season 3 of Kroll Show (http://www.cc.com/shows/kroll-show) after working through the first two in the past couple of weeks. It has to be my favorite comedy show by far. I had no idea Nick Kroll was this talented and was able to pull together an as talented team of people to make this thing.

eversonpoe
03-20-2015, 08:18 AM
I'm now starting Season 3 of Kroll Show (http://www.cc.com/shows/kroll-show) after working through the first two in the past couple of weeks. It has to be my favorite comedy show by far. I had no idea Nick Kroll was this talented and was able to pull together an as talented team of people to make this thing.

i've only seen a couple sketches but i love the PubLIZity ones.

"it's based off our names!"

elevenism
03-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Umm just finished HBO's The Jinx miniseries and it completely met my high expectations. Watch it as soon as you can. By far the most chilling ending to any documentary I've ever seen.
isn't that guy being indicted?

Dra508
03-20-2015, 04:15 PM
The Jinx. It was ok. Interesting that this dude thought out loud. I'll remind myself to not do that, ever.

Dra508
03-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Citizen Four. It was being a fly on the wall. I read a magazine article that was very similar in timeline, but having Ed Snowden actually talk was amazing. He didn't want it to be about him, but that is part of the story. Privacy is liberty.

And I didn't know Ed was a NIN fan. I need to get out more.

ibanez33
03-21-2015, 04:01 AM
Why the fuck did I wait so long to start watching True Detective? I'm on episode 4 tonight and loving it.

Vertigo
03-21-2015, 04:13 AM
Yeah Citizenfour is amazing. You're watching history as it happens.

implanted_microchip
03-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Denis Villeneuve's Enemy starring Jake Gyllenhaal is now an instant favorite of mine. I know it's one I'm going to see many more times and be thinking about for the rest of the day.

Deadpool
03-24-2015, 11:45 PM
Finished HANNIBAL season 2 a few weeks ago on Amazon Prime and can't stop thinking about it. I've been re-watching the series with my brother (it's now his new favorite show) and I just bought the Blu-rays to the first 2 seasons. Tonight, we indulged in the audio commentaries & bonus features (including an amazing gag reel). I am SO psyched for season 3. We're finally getting Dolarhyde!!

Millionaire
03-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Denis Villeneuve's Enemy starring Jake Gyllenhaal is now an instant favorite of mine. I know it's one I'm going to see many more times and be thinking about for the rest of the day.
Gyllenhaal has kind of stealthily built up an impressive filmography. I just saw the Zodiac Director's Cut the other day and thought: Donnie Darko, Jarhead, End of Watch, Brokeback Mountain, Prisoners, Enemy, Nightcrawler, Sourcecode, Zodiac, The Good Girl, Lovely and Amazing, Prince of Persia(joke)... his batting average is pretty damn good. And he keeps improving as an actor, even though he was solid to start with: fuck the Academy, Nightcrawler was the best acting of the last year. They should cast this guy for more films and less of the Sam Worthingtons/Jai Courtneys of the world.

ibanez33
03-27-2015, 05:22 PM
^^ watched Enemy the other night, holy shit. Loved it.

Trailer Park Boys season 9 was just added to Netflix so I'm all about that today. Fucking hilarious so far.

*edit* I fucking LOVE that we're getting more of J-Roc this season

Substance242
03-29-2015, 01:52 PM
"How the Universe Works" (Discovery/Science): I love watching TV about space since childhood, still fascinates me to the point of going mad. :-) The best so far for me were the BBC ones with Brian Cox (Wonders of Universe, Wonders of Solar System), but this one is also amazing, I learned ton of new things, e.g. Jupiter was once travelling towards the Sun, but together with Saturn they pulled themselves back out to current orbit... Or it takes millions (?) of years for photon to finally emerge from Sun, they don't want to let it go easily. :-) Or first atom appeared only thousand of years since Big Bang... Is there a life in Europa moon? Later when Sun will eat Earth, it will probably be water planet, and "they" don't really need Sun for heat... man, how is this all possible, aaargh... (going mad)

Dra508
03-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Just fired up Going Clear. I remember when there were tv commercials for Hubbard's book when I was a wee child. I knew back then that something was not right.

hellospaceboy
03-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Just fired up Going Clear. I remember when there were tv commercials for Hubbard's book when I was a wee child. I knew back then that something was not right.

I really liked the doc, and the book is probably worth picking up, too.

I love conspiracy theories, from Area 51 to the freemasons, and Scientology is the one batshit crazy conspiracy that is probably true! From vire tapping to modern day slavery and brainwashing, from blackmailed celebrities to lunatic sci-fi, it has everything a good story needs :)