PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Watching?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

aggroculture
06-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Just saw Iron Sky. Very enjoyable.

littlemonkey613
06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Wtf Bridesmaids sucks....

thevoid99
06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Bridesmaids I do think it's a good movie but an overrated one. There were things about that I didn't like. I think the tone of the film is uneven where it wants to be a comedy but got saddled with Kristen Wiig's character arc where she's often very depressed at times. I like Rose Byrne but I found her character to be a bit unbelievable into why Maya Rudolph's character would be friends with her. I also felt the film was too long and the stuff involving Wiig's roommates were terrible. Especially that fat Australian chick who is not funny at all.

littlemonkey613
06-20-2012, 09:15 PM
I thought it had a lot of potential which is why its so frustrating to watch. (Oscar recognition for the script of all things really???)

It could have been a great movie about a girl thats scared shes losing her bff because of marriage.
It could have been about a woman's struggle to find a good guy.
It could have been a great commentary on the idiocy of many things concerning weddings.

Instead it was a half-assed attempt that accomplished none of the above and the main and most developed conflict was a catty girl rivalry? YAWN. Also most of the scenes in the film were too long and overstayed their welcome with conversations that had NOTHING to do with anything else in the movie.

Drugged out Wig was hilarious though.

Fixer808
06-24-2012, 04:58 PM
I just watched a trailer for Dredd. And I laughed and laughed. This is going to be as bad as the Stallone one. Also, of COURSE that's Karl Urban.

littlemonkey613
06-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Christ Brave was bad. Talk about a missed opportunity. This film had no balls. Mulan was way more ballsy and interesting when it comes to everything gender and family duty related. Ugh. Great first act though. This is all coming from a Pixar fanatic. I'm really really dissapointed.

Space Suicide
06-28-2012, 09:16 PM
http://www.newcomedyshows.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MenatWorkTBS.png

Dra508
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
http://www.newcomedyshows.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MenatWorkTBS.pngI've been mildly entertained by I few of these episodes. Devil's Three way sort of surprised me.

Act of Valor - The acting was amazing. ;)

wizfan
07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
The United States of Leland (2003). I found it to be a nice little indie film, despite its flaws. Matthew Ryan Hoge tried to make a good film, using his own original screenplay. I was surprised by how negative the critical consensus for the film was. Yeah, its true message may have been unclear and lost in the details, but I didn't think it was an overly terrible film. It features one of the first theatrical appearances of Ryan Gosling; as such, it's not one of his best performances, but you could see he tried his best. And, damn, he used to be so skinny back then. He played lots of fucked-up characters back then. I liked Don Cheadle's performance as a teacher and aspiring writer. The rest of the cast were not that interesting. There were many unresolved subplots, which was a shame, because I was intrigued by the film's non-linear structure and its tendency to keep you guessing. It could have been better, but it wasn't bad for an inexperienced writer-director. He has only made two films, Leland being the second. He has been inactive since then. I wonder if he was disheartened by the negative reviews.

thevoid99
07-06-2012, 02:55 PM
The United States of Leland (2003). I found it to be a nice little indie film, despite its flaws. Matthew Ryan Hoge tried to make a good film, using his own original screenplay. I was surprised by how negative the critical consensus for the film was. Yeah, its true message may have been unclear and lost in the details, but I didn't think it was an overly terrible film. It features one of the first theatrical appearances of Ryan Gosling; as such, it's not one of his best performances, but you could see he tried his best. And, damn, he used to be so skinny back then. He played lots of fucked-up characters back then. I liked Don Cheadle's performance as a teacher and aspiring writer. The rest of the cast were not that interesting. There were many unresolved subplots, which was a shame, because I was intrigued by the film's non-linear structure and its tendency to keep you guessing. It could have been better, but it wasn't bad for an inexperienced writer-director. He has only made two films, Leland being the second. He has been inactive since then. I wonder if he was disheartened by the negative reviews.

I didn't like that film. I found the reveal in the end to be weak and unnecessary and there were too many subplot. I liked Ryan Gosling, Don Cheadle, Michelle Williams, and Jena Malone of course. I was just disappointed by how it was handled and the final execution made it worse thanks in part to a very bad Chris Klein.

Fixer808
07-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Watching "Layer Cake" again. Fun little pre-Bond Daniel Craig crime flick.

theruiner
07-08-2012, 02:30 AM
So, The Dictator, turns out, was pretty ok. The first twenty minutes or so, I was really not digging it. After a while it started to get funnier. By about halfway through the movie I was finally coming around. It wasn't great, and I'm not even sure I would quite say good, but it was decent enough.

The problem is that only about 30% of the jokes were actually funny. The rest were bad. REALLY bad. Seriously groan-worthy. Especially during the first third of the movie or so, I was really ready to completely write it off. After that it got better.

Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but I wouldn't talk anyone out of watching it, either. For a buck at Redbox, you could do a lot worse (or if you catch it on HBO on a boring afternoon sometime in the future).

orestes
07-08-2012, 09:26 AM
La Nuit de Varennes.

Pretty sure Harvey Keitel's French is dubbed but still, an engaging, if altogether fictional, conversation between Thomas Paine, Casanova and Nicolas-Edme Rétif in a stagecoach traveling the same journey as the escaped royal family from Paris.

theruiner
07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm in the middle of the first season of Archer. I'm enjoying it. I don't find it very funny, but the show is still pretty fun.

Alexandros
07-09-2012, 04:27 AM
Watched Coriolanus. I don't know...it had some good moments, but transferring a Shakespearian play in a modern setting while maintaining the original dialogue never seems like a good idea to me, it's just too distracting.

Dra508
07-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Watching "Layer Cake" again. Fun little pre-Bond Daniel Craig crime flick.That was an interesting film in retrospect. Especially the end.

Overall, seeing mega stars in previous smaller roles is always entertaining. Clive Owen in Bourne Identity anyone?

Watched The Queen on TV yesterday. I liked seeing the Scottish countryside the best.

aggroculture
07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Savages: pretty enjoyable, very cheesy at times, didn't like the ending. And Taylor Kitsch sucks.

So, The Dictator, turns out, was pretty ok. The first twenty minutes or so, I was really not digging it. After a while it started to get funnier. By about halfway through the movie I was finally coming around. It wasn't great, and I'm not even sure I would quite say good, but it was decent enough.

The problem is that only about 30% of the jokes were actually funny. The rest were bad. REALLY bad. Seriously groan-worthy. Especially during the first third of the movie or so, I was really ready to completely write it off. After that it got better.

I didn't like it much. It was not up to the level of Borat and Bruno. Pretty much all of the dialogue and scenes with the scientist guy were terrible. The movie just didn't have enough laughs, and I agree about many of the jokes being shit. I liked the speech, but this was no Great Dictator.

onthewall2983
07-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I know next to nothing about the Harry Potter series, but I was channel-flipping yesterday and was amused to see Bill Nighy in one of them (can't remember the title) look suspiciously like Harvey Keitel.

REPLICA
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
CNN.

It's all about Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper.

Fixer808
07-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Wolf Blitzer
Best episode of (actual) Celebrity Jeopardy I ever saw featured Blitzer getting ass-raped by Andy Richter.
Final score:
Andy - $60,000
Some author - like $4000
Wolf - minus $2000

miss k bee
07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Passchendaele

Goldfoot
07-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm watching American: The Bill Hicks Story, except I'm not actually watching it. I can only listen to this because 95% of the visuals are just still photographs with this awful added-motion/zoom effect. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

theruiner
07-11-2012, 02:19 AM
^^I tried watching that and had to turn it off, because the visuals were just terrible.

Goldfoot
07-11-2012, 02:48 AM
^^I tried watching that and had to turn it off, because the visuals were just terrible.

Luckily I watched it on my computer, so I just put my browser window overtop of it and only watched when it was videos of his standup. It was interesting enough that I listened to the whole thing, but man, I tried once before to watch it and I had to turn it off because of the visuals. Fucking hell.

bruised
07-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Was there a remixed ghosts track in Savages? Anyway, good movie.

SM Rollinger
07-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Lately, ive been working my way through CNN's "The Cold War". Im a huge documentary fan, and i picked this up at best buy for 30 bucks a couple weeks ago after seeing a few episodes on U Tube. If you have ever seen the epic "World At War" series from the 70's, and enjoyed that, you have to check this out. It gives an epic scope of world history from 1945-1991, and has much interview footage with all sorts of key players (fidel castro, robert mcnamara, bush sr., gorbecheav, ect. i could go on and on) Anyways, this is a great watch if your into this sorta stuff!

Fixer808
07-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Passchendaele
What a shit movie, I despise Paul Gross. The dialogue was so stunted and cheesy. "There's just one rule... don't die!" Who the fuck talked like that in 1914?

SM Rollinger
07-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Luckily I watched it on my computer, so I just put my browser window overtop of it and only watched when it was videos of his standup. It was interesting enough that I listened to the whole thing, but man, I tried once before to watch it and I had to turn it off because of the visuals. Fucking hell.

thanks for the heads up, netflix keeps recommending it to me. Ill have to have it on as backround noise while im cleaning this weekend, @ least i know im not missing anything!

onthewall2983
07-16-2012, 07:44 AM
48 Hrs. yesterday. Probably 2nd place only to Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (maybe 3rd with Midnight Run ​in 2nd) for greatest buddy movie.

Piko
07-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Been rewatching X-Files ( bought all of them, plus Lone Gunmen). Also just scooped up the entire series of Batman Beyond. Needless to say, I've got a lot on my plate.

hellospaceboy
07-18-2012, 10:48 PM
The Faculty. It's been over a decade since I last saw it, and I'm surprised to see how well it held up. It's still loads of fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mra9CKR2iLg

EPICRAGE
07-19-2012, 04:53 AM
um, in 18 hours I will be watching The Dark Knight Rises​...

Space Suicide
07-19-2012, 05:44 PM
http://wwwimage.cbs.com/primetime/king_of_queens/images/logo_lg.jpg

theruiner
07-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I finally got around to watching 21 Jump Street. It was good. Not anything special, but it was enjoyable.

Fixer808
07-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I wasn't impressed, but then I also didn't hate it, which is what I was expecting to do since I hate Channing Tatum. But no, it worked as a parody, maybe not as well as Starsky and Hutch, but I kinda liked it.

Iran_Ed
07-22-2012, 03:19 PM
I won't be able to go see The Dark Knight Rises till next week, so I watched Memento for the first time. I like this Mr. Christopher Nolan.

onthewall2983
07-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Glengarry Glen Ross. It's the Dark Knight Rises of movies that use "fuck" over 100 times.

sentient02970
07-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Glengarry Glen Ross. It's the Dark Knight Rises of movies that use "fuck" over 100 times. Fun with cussing and acting. Love that film.

Watching Lost, Season 3..again.

theruiner
07-27-2012, 09:51 PM
I won't be able to go see The Dark Knight Rises till next week, so I watched Memento for the first time. I like this Mr. Christopher Nolan.I remember seeing that when it first came out and being absolutely blown away. Still one of my top five favorite movies. I had no idea he was going to go on and become one of the biggest directors in the world (and never would have suspected it). But, truly, Nolan totally deserves it.

orestes
07-27-2012, 10:33 PM
The god-awful US commentary of the olympic opening ceremony.

Piko
07-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Batman Beyond

thevoid99
07-28-2012, 02:26 PM

I enjoyed the entire ceremony but I agree about the U.S. commentary. In fact, never have Ryan Seacrest in any big event. The guy is a fucking douche.

hobochic
07-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Louie S03E01,02

Fixer808
07-30-2012, 06:59 PM
The Canadian one was pretty bad, too. And my friend and I had to wait to watch it again because she accidentally PVR'd the one with the "described video" feed. That shit was annoying.

orestes
07-31-2012, 08:36 PM
Bronson. Tom hardy is fucking menacing in this movie (and naked a lot.)

onthewall2983
07-31-2012, 08:49 PM

The network should just put subtitles up from now on, if they think any references are too obscure for Americans.

dlb
08-01-2012, 01:52 AM

it's like Eastern Promises on sterioids. Good movie and great director!

Watched Rampart with Woody Harrelson the other day. Hmm, not so great.

Today: The Thin Red Line

decadent
08-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Catching up with Nicolas Winding Refn flicks. Watched Pusher II yesterday, today Pusher 3, while I try to get my hands on Fear X.

Is Valhalla Rising any good? It looks so different from the other moies he has done.

Goldfoot
08-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Watching a bunch of "classics" I've never seen. I made a list as a bit of a guide. As of now I've watched To Kill A Mocking Bird, North By Northwest, and Cool Hand Luke. Feel free to make suggestions. Here's the rest of my list (bold denotes those I'm in possession of and will be watching next, italics are those I plan on getting next):

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
12 Angry Men
Schindler's List
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Apocalypse Now
On The Waterfront
Citizen Kane
Annie Hall
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
Lawrence Of Arabia
The Maltese Falcon
Vertigo
The Deer Hunter
Gone With The Wind
The Graduate
8 1/2
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Heart Of Darkness
The Sound Of Music
Singin' In The Rain
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
Jaws
Sullivan's Travels
Cabaret
Network
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
All The President's Men
The Apartment
The French Connection
Doctor Zhivago
Rebel Without A Cause

thevoid99
08-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Catching up with Nicolas Winding Refn flicks. Watched Pusher II yesterday, today Pusher 3, while I try to get my hands on Fear X.

Is Valhalla Rising any good? It looks so different from the other moies he has done.

Valhalla Rising I think is one of Refn's best films. There's not a lot of dialogue but rather slow yet crushing action. It's a very brutal but dream-like film. In fact, I wrote a piece on Refn this past June that you can read here (http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2012/06/auteurs-12-nicolas-winding-refn.html).

Torgo
08-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Just watched 'Stupid Crazy Love' last night and was surprised by how good this movie was. Very well made. Nice pacing. Great acting. Great story.

And there was also this moment that reminded me of something that could happen at the end of Act 1 in a Shakespeare play. It was pretty entertaining, to say the least.

Fixer808
08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Watching a bunch of "classics" I've never seen. I made a list as a bit of a guide. As of now I've watched To Kill A Mocking Bird, North By Northwest, and Cool Hand Luke. Feel free to make suggestions. Here's the rest of my list (bold denotes those I'm in possession of and will be watching next, italics are those I plan on getting next):
Cuckoo's Nest is a must, watch Taxi Driver ASAP, but only after you see Mean Streets.

theruiner
08-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Cuckoo's Nest is a must, watch Taxi Driver ASAP, but only after you see Mean Streets.With all due respect to Mr. Fixer, I'd have to recommend bumping Raging Bull to the top of your list. Absolute masterpiece.

This can only end in a duel.

theburningreptile
08-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Batman: The animated series volume 1. Nostalgia ftw. :D I hope these come out on blu-ray one day.

Piko
08-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Batman: The animated series volume 1. Nostalgia ftw. :D I hope these come out on blu-ray one day.

Considering buying the sets.

Iran_Ed
08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Goldfoot
Apocalypse Now, Lawrence Of Arabia, Network, The French Connection, Vertigo Bolded could be in my top 5 if I did that sort of thing.

Also: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19078948

I do love how because The Critics say it's the best, it's the best.

Jinsai
08-02-2012, 02:29 AM
if we're making a list of great hollywood classics... recommendations you might be missing:

Sunset Blvd
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
All About Eve
Suddenly Last Summer
The Haunting
The Manchurian Candidate

Then there's practically everything by Kurosawa, Kubrick, and Hitchcock... Hitchcock especially has a lot of movies that people generally overlook that are fantastic. Strangers on a Train, Rebecca, Notorious, The Man Who Knew Too Much (his remake of his own movie)... practically everything he did before Frenzy is amazing.

Also, while everyone loves Kubrick, not enough people have seen The Killing, which is awesome.

IF anyone has any good noir recommendations from the 40s or 50s I'd like to hear them.

marodi
08-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Goldfoot:

From your list, my top 3 recommendations are:

1. Lawrence Of Arabia
2. Lawrence Of Arabia
3. Lawrence Of Arabia

Ha! Sorry about that; I'm a bit biased because Lawrence Of Arabia is my all time favorite movie in the whole universe for like infinity +1. There are no words strong enough in any language to describe the perfection that is this movie.

Others from your list you absolutely need to watch: 12 Angry Men, Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind, Singin' In The Rain, Cabaret and All The President's Men. I love every single one of these.

Also: I strongly agree with Jinsai on Suddenly Last Summer and The Haunting.

Something that's not on your list: from the Marx Brothers Duck Soup and Monkey Business; The General (with Buster Keaton); Metropolis, King Kong (1933) and Nosferatu (1922).

And of course the funniest movie of all time: Some Like It Hot.

hellospaceboy
08-02-2012, 07:37 PM
I just watched Fortress, one of my favorite movies from my childhood. It's still really good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U6oLx3xy8s

Goldfoot
08-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Limitless. Ugh.

Piko
08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Limitless. Ugh.

Really? I thought it was awesome.

Space Suicide
08-06-2012, 02:31 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc2MTU4ODI5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI2MzAyOA@@._ V1._SY317_CR7,0,214,317_.jpg

I read the new one sucks. Not surprised.

wizfan
08-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Twixt, Francis Ford Coppola's latest film. What a massive turd. What an epic pile of cinematic filth. You don't deserve to watch this 80-minute disaster. It's easily one of the most horrendous things I've seen in years. It felt like a giant trollface staring at me. What a stupid, STUPID movie. Fuck, Francis.

Elke
08-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Sherlock season 2. OH MY GOD. Is it possible to fall in love with a tv show, because I think I'm halfway there. Gorgeous tv!

Goldfoot
08-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Really? I thought it was awesome.

Man, the premise is so contrived. I tried to suspend my disbelief, but the plot just kept getting worse and worse. Plus it was narrated, which is something I almost never like in a movie. It's completely and laughably not true that we only use 20% of our brains. Even if that were true, the way the drug works doesn't make sense. You can't learn a language that fast and have the accent down without actually talking to people from that country. A lot of the dialogue was just poorly written, and then near the end they manage to nuke the fridge, which is typically reserved for a later installment in a series, but they manage to do it in one movie. Basically it was a vehicle for some neat special effects.

Fixer808
08-07-2012, 03:09 PM
I know, right? He was terrifying! Sort of like a prequel to TDKR ;p

EPICRAGE
08-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I will be watching VHS soon. Has anyone seen this?
[/URL]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UKyI-Irzhc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UKyI-Irzhc)

It looks like it could be good but the "You're all going to die up here" line and the switchblade shot look absolutely horrible. Plus Bloody Disgusting puts out some really terrible movies. That being said, found-footage movies tend to scare me even if they aren't the best so I may still have a good time.

Reaps
08-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I will be watching VHS soon. Has anyone seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UKyI-Irzhc

It looks like it could be good but the "You're all going to die up here" line and the switchblade shot look absolutely horrible. Plus Bloody Disgusting puts out some really terrible movies. That being said, found-footage movies tend to scare me even if they aren't the best so I may still have a good time.

I just watched it, probably one of the best found-footage movies i've seen in a long time, creepy as hell and lots of fun.

Leman Russ
08-09-2012, 07:50 AM
I just started watching The Inbetweeners, a British show from a few years back. Really funny, and they definitely know how to beat a good joke to death. I finished Season 1 last night and will be starting season 2 tonight. Hilarious show

wizfan
08-11-2012, 06:14 PM
The Dictator. I expected to be mildly entertained. Instead, I was bursting with laughter every ten seconds or so. Loved it.

Dra508
08-11-2012, 06:39 PM
IF anyone has any good noir recommendations from the 40s or 50s I'd like to hear them.Ah, my Dad used to take me and my brothers to the local rival house to see Film Noir when I was like 10. Good times:

Invasion of The Body Snatchers, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce, and To Have And Have Not - my personal favorite -Lauren Bacall's first film.

Space Suicide
08-12-2012, 01:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4mkmSU9TE

Never gets old.

orestes
08-12-2012, 09:30 AM
First season of Bob's Burgers on netflix instant watch. Is it just me or does the son sound like Patton Oswalt? (It isn't.)

miss k bee
08-12-2012, 04:48 PM
London 2012 Olympics Closing Ceremony

october_midnight
08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
At first I was like '...what.' Then I didn't see Noel and the graphic said Beady Eye. My first thought was 'well, that's kinda awkward.'

Watching it on a Canadian channel obviously, one of the commentators just now: 'The Olympics bring together countries and athletes from around the globe...and yet it can't bring the Gallagher brothers together for one...song...' LOLZ

hellospaceboy
08-12-2012, 08:57 PM
80's horror movie about evil marshmallow. Just as exciting as it sounds... it foams, crawls, tastes great and it's very addictive. WTF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6Z1nBqLwo

thelastdisciple
08-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Hell on Wheels! season 2 premiere.

kdrcraig
08-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Watched The Prestige again, liked it more than the first time but still not a big fan of it. My least favorite of Nolan's movies, won't be watching it again.

frankie teardrop
08-15-2012, 12:27 PM
watched both god bless america (on instant watch) and black dynamite in one sitting. both were awesome.

orestes
08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
The Keep last night. Was Tangerine Dream really the best choice for a supernatural movie set during WW2?

botley
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Plan 9 From Outer Space

orestes
08-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Plan 9 From Outer Space

Oh god.

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/plannine/plannine6.jpg

Pillfred
08-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Picked up the first season of Deadwood at the library today. Like with the Wire it's nice to have missed out on good tv for the last decade or so plenty of seasons to catch up on.

botley
08-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Oh god.
I cleansed the palate immediately after with A Serious Man.

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/plannine/plannine6.jpg
Is it just me or does that guy remind anyone else of Rip Taylor? Sans toupee & moustache, obviously.

wizfan
08-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Whoa, A Serious Man. Jaw-dropping.

aggroculture
08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Thor on the plane. Didn't need the volume on to know I was looking at garbage.

frankie teardrop
08-16-2012, 05:06 PM
The Keep last night. Was Tangerine Dream really the best choice for a supernatural movie set during WW2?

of course it was.

botley
08-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I had to get drunk & baked tonight and watch Ed Wood in order to be able to truthfully say this, but I actually like Plan 9 From Outer Space now. I've crossed some sort of enlightened nerd threshold.

Baphomette
08-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Got strong armed into watching Misfits. Not bad. On season three and THANK GAWD Robert Sheehan left the show.

I finally got around to watching 21 Jump Street. It was good. Not anything special, but it was enjoyable.
That's how I felt about the TV series.

botley
08-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Whoa, A Serious Man. Jaw-dropping.
I thought it was hilarious and also quite thought-provoking.

eversonpoe
08-17-2012, 01:59 AM
I had to get drunk & baked tonight and watch Ed Wood in order to be able to truthfully say this, but I actually like Plan 9 From Outer Space now. I've crossed some sort of enlightened nerd threshold.

i actually like Plan 9 in an un-ironic way...which i think means i'm a very damaged human being.

eversonpoe
08-17-2012, 02:00 AM
just saw "Manos" The Hands Of Fate with live Rifftrax. pretty amazing. even better than the MST3K episode.

botley
08-17-2012, 02:14 AM
i actually like Plan 9 in an un-ironic way...which i think means i'm a very damaged human being.
Is there room for me on that boat?

onthewall2983
08-17-2012, 04:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fTx89BTIVg

Watched this last night (available on Netflix streaming). It has stuck with me, and I can't recommend it enough.

Elke
08-17-2012, 05:28 AM
^ Vlaanderens grootste trots. :) It's odd to see something Belgian pop up that people like, but it's a very intense performance by Schoenaerts. I'm looking forward to seeing him in The Loft.

decadent
08-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Will watch this today, was quite impressed when I saw the trailer.

decadent
08-17-2012, 05:43 AM
^ Vlaanderens grootste trots. :) It's odd to see something Belgian pop up that people like, but it's a very intense performance by Schoenaerts. I'm looking forward to seeing him in The Loft.

There seem to be two different movies called Loft - one from Belgium and the other form the Netherlands. Same story, just 2 years apart. Do you know why? :)

orestes
08-17-2012, 06:28 AM
just saw "Manos" The Hands Of Fate with live Rifftrax. pretty amazing. even better than the MST3K episode.

Me too! I freaked out when "Torgo" came out to deliver the pizzas because I got to see him interact with the Rifftrax guys in person a couple of years ago at Comic Con.

Prunes!

Also, omg at the Redneck Twilight bit.

Elke
08-17-2012, 07:37 AM
There seem to be two different movies called Loft - one from Belgium and the other form the Netherlands. Same story, just 2 years apart. Do you know why? :)

Yup, the Dutch Loft is a remake of the Belgian Loft, and The Loft is an upcoming American remake by the original Belgian director with - amongst a cast of fittingly hot blokes - Matthias Schoenaerts himself, reprising his original role. I love the original Belgian Loft, not so keen on the Dutch version, so I'm curious what - if any - changes will have been made for the U.S. market, and how different actors impact on the film.

Elke
08-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Just saw Farenheit 9/11 again, and it's still compelling. I'm thinking of using the part about the Iraq war and the recruitment of youth in class, when discussing the ethics of war and justice. Even though it's clearly Michael Moore bullshit rhetoric, the facts are still there and even more than now, they hold up. And I keep feeling sorry for Colin Powell. I don't know, but somehow I believe he really thought he was doing the right thing. I find it difficult to believe someone with such a service record would willingly and knowingly send kids in to be slaughtered for Haliburton and oil.

decadent
08-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Yup, the Dutch Loft is a remake of the Belgian Loft, and The Loft is an upcoming American remake by the original Belgian director with - amongst a cast of fittingly hot blokes - Matthias Schoenaerts himself, reprising his original role. I love the original Belgian Loft, not so keen on the Dutch version, so I'm curious what - if any - changes will have been made for the U.S. market, and how different actors impact on the film.

Thanks for clarifying :) I watched the Belgian and liked it quite a lot. Bullhead is next!

gini
08-19-2012, 01:41 AM
I went to see Ruby Sparks. It was good but kind of got annoying towards the end. A romantic comedy? Maybe. Anyway, I thought it was sweet yet bordering on obsession in order to overcome the obstacle of writer's block. Anybody else seen it?

Pillfred
08-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Started watching Rome again, still enjoy it.

orestes
08-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Capped off the Vengeance trilogy with Lady Vengeance. God, I love that movie!

aggroculture
08-27-2012, 01:06 PM
ParaNorman. A cool tribute to the horror genre.

dpeters
08-28-2012, 03:55 AM
I went to see Ruby Sparks. It was good but kind of got annoying towards the end. A romantic comedy? Maybe. Anyway, I thought it was sweet yet bordering on obsession in order to overcome the obstacle of writer's block. Anybody else seen it?

That film had the strangest tonal shifts--from RomCom territory to the creepiest rape scene I've seen in film.

The film could've been more effective with greater character change from Dano's character.

sentient02970
08-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Started watching Rome again, still enjoy it.
I only got through season 1 about a year ago but hadn't picked up 2 yet. Does the "momentum" continue?

aggroculture
08-29-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.filmforum.org/images/content/films/fokkens_poster268.jpg
I enjoyed this.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I've watched seasons 2, 3, half of season 1, and 10 episodes of season 4 of Breaking Bad. I LOVE this show. :P

hobochic
08-29-2012, 08:35 PM
I have to get up for work in 5 hours and can't sleep so I just watched the first episode of Girls. Seems alright.

Pillfred
08-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I only got through season 1 about a year ago but hadn't picked up 2 yet. Does the "momentum" continue?

It continues on pretty much the same as i recall, again it's been a while but i believe i thought it was as good as the first.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-04-2012, 12:36 PM
This trailer, over, and over, and over.

https://vimeo.com/46273869#

A little backstory - http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/the-stories-behind-the-5-most-difficulttofilm-scenes-in-samsara/261923/

I'm definitely gonna drive to Kansas City to see this thing next month. It's gonna be worth it.

frankie teardrop
09-04-2012, 12:48 PM
http://jackasscritics.com/images/movies/assault_on_precinct_13_01.jpg

finally got around to watching this for the first time last night. looks like i need to update my favorite 70s movies on my profile...

wizfan
09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Murnau's Nosferatu. Mesmerized. Gonna watch the Herzog version now.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Just got into "Heroes". Man this show is pretty awesome, but it is confusing as fuck.

Fixer808
09-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Season 4, disc 1 of Fringe. GAME ON!

kdrcraig
09-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Finished Political Animals last night. Such a great show, I hope they continue it.

Leman Russ
09-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Just got into "Heroes". Man this show is pretty awesome, but it is confusing as fuck.

Do yourself a favor, STOP WATCHING after Season 1. The show starts sliding way downhill after that, and never gets better. Season 2 had a few cool moments, but other than that, it sucked. Please do what I, and every fan of the show, wishes they would have done, and stop when you finish the first season.

slave2thewage
09-07-2012, 08:17 AM
I watched "We Were Here" last night, a documentary about the outbreak of AIDS in the gay community in San Francisco. I think it may be one of the most draining things I've ever watched. I do recommend it, though.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Do yourself a favor, STOP WATCHING after Season 1. The show starts sliding way downhill after that, and never gets better. Season 2 had a few cool moments, but other than that, it sucked. Please do what I, and every fan of the show, wishes they would have done, and stop when you finish the first season.

Yea the second season really went off track.. Hiro's story was just ridiculous and too overdrawn, plus nothing really started happening until the end of the season. I will say I am enjoying season 3 right now. There is a lot more going on and more action which I have been wanting from this show. They tease you so much in the first season. But yea, the first season was flawless story wise. It was just a lot more interesting.

theruiner
09-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Season 4, disc 1 of Fringe. GAME ON!I've really gotta watch that damn show.

miss k bee
09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Super - what a dark film!

Dra508
09-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Watched parts of Get Him To The Greek. As a buddy-road pic, it had potential, but just relied too heavily on drinking and glossy T&A. P Diddy wasn't that bad considering I don't think he has any acting experience.

Due Date was a much better film with the same premise.

miss k bee
09-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Paralympics closing ceromony. Coldplay Rihanna a Jay Z performing. Ola Brazil! 2016!

hobochic
09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Been watching dumb comedies like Wanderlust and Horrible Bosses, call it Aniston comedies, Fringe Season 4, The Wire season 4 and now I'm about to watch Enter the Void:

http://enter-the-void.co.uk/dvd/images/etv-3d-dvd.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bKRxDP--e-Y

kdrcraig
09-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Watched Wrath of the Titans last night, pretty bad

orestes
09-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Just watched The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover​ ​-- holy shit.

onthewall2983
09-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Kevin Costner in 3000 Miles To Graceland looked less like Elvis, more like Sting...if he left The Police and went straight to Vegas.

eversonpoe
09-12-2012, 04:17 PM

along with the fact that helen mirren is a total babe, that movie is fantastic. i love that it's set up like a play, and how the different rooms/scenes have such specific colour schemes. i could watch that film over and over, despite the somewhat gruesome aspects of it.

Ruined
09-12-2012, 06:09 PM

The "Meat Wagon" sex scene coupled with a meal at Arby's would make for a lovely date night.

Space Suicide
09-15-2012, 04:16 AM
Can't sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0JPQH9wW0

Fixer808
09-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Beyond The Black Rainbow. It was really good looking, and had a cool soundtrack, but kinda went off the rails about 3/4 of the way through.

orestes
09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Hour of the Wolf-- creepy​.

Piko
09-16-2012, 10:44 PM
About midway through season one of Bones. Im liking it.

Findus
09-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Last night I saw Samsara, the new one by Ron Fricke (Baraka), which is currently in theaters. Quite fantastic stuff. If it's playing in your town, be sure to check it out before it leaves the big screen.

frankie teardrop
09-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Beyond The Black Rainbow. It was really good looking, and had a cool soundtrack, but kinda went off the rails about 3/4 of the way through.

saw that in the theatre- and actually enjoyed the ending, even though it was certainly flawed. the movie and soundtrack are stunning though. they just don't make 'em like that anymore. tangerine dream-esque score with SSQ's (aka stacey q) 'anonymous' thrown in for good measure? <3

miss k bee
09-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Woman In Black - quite creepy

sentient02970
09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Disc One of Testees came from Netflix. This show is terrible.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Just watched some Mystery Science Theater 3000: "Cave Dwellers". God was this one funny!

eversonpoe
09-21-2012, 07:53 AM
my girlfriend and i have been watching through the entire MST3K series starting with "Mitchell" (which is the episode where mike takes over for joel). after we finish, we're going to go back and watch all the joel episodes. it's fun watching ones i saw as a kid, because i vaguely remember them, but now i actually get all the jokes.

Leman Russ
09-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Just watched some Mystery Science Theater 3000: "Cave Dwellers". God was this one funny!

my girlfriend and i have been watching through the entire MST3K series starting with "Mitchell" (which is the episode where mike takes over for joel). after we finish, we're going to go back and watch all the joel episodes. it's fun watching ones i saw as a kid, because i vaguely remember them, but now i actually get all the jokes.

I loved MST3K. I think they have some episodes on Netflix (maybe all?) and it is tons of fun going back and watching them again.

Conan The Barbarian
09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Love mst3k.

I have Netflix and have about 20 of em on my list. Where can I see the entire series?

I remember watching the hour cut episodes on comedy central back in the 90's. Even me and a couple of friends would just watch shit movies and make fun.

Rifftraxx is also amazing.

Leman Russ
09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Love mst3k.

I have Netflix and have about 20 of em on my list. Where can I see the entire series?

I remember watching the hour cut episodes on comedy central back in the 90's. Even me and a couple of friends would just watch shit movies and make fun.

Rifftraxx is also amazing.

I know there are some rights issues w/ certain episodes because of what channel they aired on, what movie they made fun of, etc...A lot of the same reasons that SciFi couldn't show CC episodes, and all that

Nappyp
09-21-2012, 08:16 PM
super jealous. wanna see this. looks like i will have to wait for blu ray.

orestes
09-21-2012, 08:20 PM
There are more episodes up on Amazon Instant Video than netflix.

bgalbraith
09-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen

Classic Ren & Stimpy

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
09-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Not now watching, but I want to see Holy Motors so bad.

Fixer808
09-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Can't sleep.
Clown'll eat me.

Space Suicide
09-23-2012, 08:35 PM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/reviews/tales7b.jpg

Just bought it today, really, really wanted to wait till October 1st to start watching but fuck it I can not.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Love mst3k.

I wish they would put more up on Netflix, I have about 10 in my instant queue. I went and downloaded all 10 seasons the other day and have been watching them non stop ever since. Mitchell, Super Agent Super Dragon, Cave Dwellers, Manos: The Hands Of Fate are some of my top favorites.

orestes
09-24-2012, 08:42 PM
The Game.

​God damn, Fincher.

hobochic
09-25-2012, 07:17 AM
About to watch the final episode of the final season of The Wire.

(I read that there are short extra episodes too, like prequels or something)

orestes
09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Red State- boring and heavy-handed.

kdrcraig
09-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Just watched The Avengers again, so good.

Mech
09-26-2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/reviews/tales7b.jpg

Just bought it today, really, really wanted to wait till October 1st to start watching but fuck it I can not.

I was actually thinking about this the other day, wondering if it was ever put on DVD or anything. I remember when it was on when i was much much younger but don't remember much about it. I may have to give it a shot sometime.

hobochic
09-26-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't have any more Wire episodes to watch so I've turned to Generation Kill. Not expecting much but I still can't shake to compare it to the epicness of TW.

Fixer808
09-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Generation Kill was great! I loved it, it's fucking surreal at times.

eversonpoe
09-27-2012, 03:08 PM
the theater company i work for has a play opening next week for which i did the sound design & score (as well as for this trailer, which i can't stop watching).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q4ZbkVU0-0&amp;feature=player_embedded

shameless self promotion...

hobochic
09-27-2012, 05:11 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8f/Trip_poster.jpg/220px-Trip_poster.jpg

theruiner
09-27-2012, 10:34 PM
So, I'm three episodes into Justified and I'm pretty close to giving up. Even Timothy Olyphant and the great Walton Goggins can't save this show. It's so fake and poorly made. It feels like this should be on CBS, somewhere sandwiched between episodes of CSI. Maybe I've been spoiled by some of the amazing shows on cable that are so well made and actually feel like you're watching a film, but shows on network TV (and, even though this is an FX show, it feels like it should be network) just feel really phony to me now. They've got this weird, artificial feel to them that I just can't get past. Justified has that feel.

Anyway, maybe I'll force myself to at least make it to the end of the season. Maybe not. I've heard it ended up becoming a serialized show and not episodic (not a fan of episodic TV in general) but I don't know if I can stick with it that long.

bobbie solo
09-28-2012, 12:51 AM
finally watching John Carter. movie's pretty good. I totally understand dhwy it bombed, but there's some solid stuff here. It looks gorgeous too.

wizfan
09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Ghost World. Fun little flick.

orestes
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Holy shit, netflix instant watch just added Freaks and Geeks.

Jinsai
10-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Shaolin Soccer is on tv. I forgot how much I love this movie.

Fixer808
10-03-2012, 06:26 AM
First Blood is so underrated. Overshadowed by the bloated kill-fests that were the Rambo sequels. Although, I have to admit that the scene in "Rambo" when he uses the .50cal machine gun to turn a bunch of guys into paint was entertaining.

Leman Russ
10-03-2012, 07:20 AM
First Blood is so underrated. Overshadowed by the bloated kill-fests that were the Rambo sequels. Although, I have to admit that the scene in "Rambo" when he uses the .50cal machine gun to turn a bunch of guys into paint was entertaining.

First Blood is so different from the sequels you would swear it's from a different series. I think one guy dies in First Blood, compared to 40000 in II, III, & IV. They're all entertaining as hell to watch though.

Fixer808
10-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Serious! Body count of 1! I mean, he fucks a few guys up (including a young, non-sunglasses-wearing David Caruso), but he's just a Vietnam vet who gets pushed over the edge by some asshole small-town cops.

Also, it was one of the early Hollywood movies filmed in BC, about 2 hours east of Vancouver in the crossroads town of Hope!

Leman Russ
10-03-2012, 08:01 AM
I thought it was filmed in Jerkwater, USA? At least that's what Troutman says.

Fixer808
10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
No, only SET in Jerkwater, USA. It'd be funny if that was a real place, and the name was based on something that "jerk" meant in old timey times, and now they get pissed when someone says "Jerkwater" in a derogatory, generic way.

Fixer808
10-03-2012, 08:28 AM
"COCKSUCKERS! 'Jerk' used to mean 'kingly and wise' in ancient Babylonian!"

Leman Russ
10-03-2012, 08:32 AM
"COCKSUCKERS! 'Jerk' used to mean 'kingly and wise' in ancient Babylonian!"

Well then, sir, you are the jerkiest jerk in the history of all jerks!!

hobochic
10-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Here's a video by a guy who visited the filming locations of First Blood + placing himself in them, with Stallone voiceovers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7pMuaku1o

Leman Russ
10-03-2012, 09:12 AM
^Pretty damn cool

Leman Russ
10-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I introduced my daughter to Tombstone this past week. Surprisingly, she really enjoyed it, and was pretty floored when I told her it was about real people. I think she was pretty blown away by how people dressed back then.

I love introducing her to movies I grew up watching. It makes them even more fun to watch to see someone really enjoy them for the first time.

Fixer808
10-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I introduced my daughter to Tombstone this past week.
"I'm comin' for you! AND HELL'S COMIN' WITH ME!"
Fucking YEAH, Kurt Russell!

Leman Russ
10-03-2012, 09:48 AM
"I'm comin' for you! AND HELL'S COMIN' WITH ME!"
Fucking YEAH, Kurt Russell!

Exactly. How anyone could not like this movie is beyond me

marodi
10-03-2012, 03:50 PM
You guys, now I want to watch it again. Tombstone is so underrated it's ridiculous. I love everything about this movie.

Leman Russ
10-04-2012, 07:47 AM
As do I. Personally, I think this is Kilmer's finest role. Add to that Powers Boothe, Kurt Russell, SAM FRIGGING ELLIOTT, and what you have is a masterpiece. You're a daisy if ya do

orestes
10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Melancholia- god, I love this movie.

aggroculture
10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
End of Watch. Overrated and not that good.

kdrcraig
10-08-2012, 07:04 AM
End of Watch. Overrated and not that good.

That's disappointing, looked pretty awesome from the trailers.

I watched The Descent again last night, still love it. The sequel is streaming on Netflix so I'm gonna watch that again tonight to see if I like it any more than the last time I saw it, it paled in comparison to the first.

sentient02970
10-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Catching up on Season 2 of The Walking Dead on Netflix as 2 came out right about when I stopped paying for cable. Really love this show so much.

orestes
10-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I'd forgotten how fucking weird The Man Who Fell To Earth is.

aggroculture
10-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Alex Cox's The Revenger's Tragedy for the class I'm teaching. Awful movie, but some good acting, and Eddie Izzard is great:

http://ferretbrain.com/images/library/e969b6f53112531c7577b8e9a819e7a8.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286921/

Fixer808
10-13-2012, 01:41 AM
LOTR: The Return of the King. I saw him in a couple scenes before I put 2 and 2 together and realized "HOLY SHIT! Denethor is also Walter Bishop!!!"

Fringe fans, yeah. Everybody else, it's not much of a thing.

onthewall2983
10-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Argo. Affleck's 3 for 3 now.

orestes
10-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Per recommendation from marodi, watching the first two series of Wallander.

Fixer808
10-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Finished watching the extended Return of the King today. I liked it better than when I first saw it. The Two Towers is definitely the weakest of the three, but I still love the Gandalf vs. Balrog scenes.

Jinsai
10-14-2012, 03:25 AM
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

can't believe I've never seen this before.

Mech
10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
So is anyone getting tired of How I Met Your Mother? This season has been pretty underwhelming so far. Tired, repetitive jokes. They overuse Barney. I just want to find out/meet the mother so that this show can end.

Piko
10-16-2012, 11:44 AM
So is anyone getting tired of How I Met Your Mother? This season has been pretty underwhelming so far. Tired, repetitive jokes. They overuse Barney. I just want to find out/meet the mother so that this show can end.

Yeah, the show's kinda out-lived itself. Barney is really the main "ace in the hole". Its been eight years now. Time to put it down. There's still a few funny moments, but for the most part, it's certainly lost its steam.

marodi
10-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Per recommendation from marodi, watching the first two series of Wallander.

I hope you liked them!

This series is so amazing. It's one of my favorite thing of the last few years. I need to get the third series and I've heard that there'll be a fourth and final one. The books upon which they are based are also excellent, by the way.

I want to move to Ystad so badly!

Finished watching the extended Return of the King today. I liked it better than when I first saw it. The Two Towers is definitely the weakest of the three, but I still love the Gandalf vs. Balrog scenes.

The Mouth of Sauron is one of the creepiest character I've ever seen on film. And I've seen a lot of them.

As for myself, I've recently watched The Changeling (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080516) and its almost namesake (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0824747). Vastly different movies but I greatly enjoyed them both.

orestes
10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes, it's a great show but my god, Wallander is such a head case.

marodi
10-16-2012, 12:25 PM
^^

Indeed he is and I think that it's part of what's making the series so great. Wallander is a very complex character and Ken Branagh is playing him perfectly.

Don't you love how Martinsson is his favorite souffre-douleur?

orestes
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Hahaha yes!

Fixer808
10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Season 7 of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". I want to play CharDee MacDennis.

marodi
10-17-2012, 08:40 PM
I just saw Sinister, in theater.

It is far better than I was expecting it to be. There are scenes in it that I found genuinely disturbing. It's one of the best horror movies I've seen in the last few years. And I need to get my hand on the score (which was written by Christopher Young); it's one of the best part of the movie and it's truly disturbing at times. Perfect for Halloween!

I recommend this one!

kdrcraig
10-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Just watched Masters of the Universe...ah memories. So cheesy but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll be interested to see what they do with the new version that is in the works.

Highly Psychological
10-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Midnight Express. What a film. Some scenes are so immensely powerful simply on how well filmed they are. Up there with anything Kubrick did.

Its even better than The Shawshank Redemption. Which in my opinion was a movie for bedwetters. Word of mouth got out of hand with that one its was just dank.
This film somehow extracts beauty from Brutality, .John Hurt is now my favourite actor ever.
That actor Brad Davis was so good in this such a shame he went off the rails and never became a household name.

Totally forgot on Sanctified Trent sampled the letter scene from it. And on Purest Feeling demo there are i think a few more samples from Billy's voice.
This film seriously fucked people up when it was released. But its a masterpiece too.

orestes
10-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Luther--a good show but bloody depressing to watch.

Fixer808
10-22-2012, 11:55 PM
"The Aggression Scale". Kinda like "Home Alone", but with a lot more brutal violence and less heartwarming antics.
The kid in it is creeping me out, he looks like a 12 year old Malcolm McDowell.

sentient02970
10-23-2012, 08:25 PM
http://www.toysnjoys.com/artbooks/memories.jpg

thevoid99
10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Carl Theodor Dreyer's Leaves from Satan's Book. Shit, that was intense. Especially for a silent film from 1921 as it has themes that are still relevant to this day. I would recommend this to anyone interested in the works of Dreyer.

Fixer808
10-25-2012, 12:45 AM
"Wrong Turn 2: Wronger Turn"? Cant remember the subtitle... Anyway, why do inbred cannibal mutants always have super strength? Shouldn't they be rendered helpless with mental and physical defects, like kings and queens from the 1400's?

Leman Russ
10-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Watched Haywire last night. Gina Curano can kick my ass any day of the week.

Deepvoid
10-25-2012, 10:46 AM
"Wrong Turn 2: Wronger Turn"? Cant remember the subtitle... Anyway, why do inbred cannibal mutants always have super strength? Shouldn't they be rendered helpless with mental and physical defects, like kings and queens from the 1400's?

Wrong Turn 5 was just released on DVD. FYI.
I haven't seen it yet...

Jinsai
10-29-2012, 03:21 AM
Frankenweenie was awesome.

Findus
10-30-2012, 02:59 AM
^^
I agree. I saw it tonight and was quite pleased...... it was better than I expected. I'll be buying it when it's available.

Fixer808
10-30-2012, 03:40 AM
Wrong Turn 5 was just released on DVD. FYI.
I haven't seen it yet...
If it's anything like 2, you're better off just putting hot spikes in your brain than watching it.

Sallos
10-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Boss 2nd season. Hoping it'll be as good as the first.

SM Rollinger
10-30-2012, 11:33 AM
old episodes of Tales of the Gun on youtube, and Ken Burns`the Civil War on the `flix

Dra508
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Call The Midwife (http://www.pbs.org/programs/call-the-midwife/) I come from a long line of Irish women who spit kids out no problem and am quite sure this story is exactly how my great grandmum pushed out 8 boys to the streets of lower Manhattan. I could never be midwife though...

thevoid99
10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
I just watched Nagisa Oshima's Empire of Passion for my Halloween marathon. Man, that was intense. A film about a late 19th century couple who are having an affair where they conspire to kill the woman's husband and three years later, his ghost appears wreaking havoc.

Jinsai
11-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Antichrist. Just watched the opening sequence... that was absolutely brilliant

Fixer808
11-02-2012, 02:09 AM
It get weird. You're gonna have phantom pains. YOU'LL know what I'm talking about!

Fixer808
11-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Gonna watch "Bronson" again! Such an awesome Tom Hardy performance. Fucking balls-to-the-wall crazy! Also working my way through season 4 of Fringe. <3

orestes
11-03-2012, 09:13 PM
The Hollow Crown: Richard II.

Elke
11-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Finished Season 1 of Game of Thrones last night, and I loved it. I'm seriously considering reading the books now.

miss k bee
11-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Film, Octane = good actors but shit film!

perch
11-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm in a masochistic mood lately so I (finally gave up and) watched 2012 (yes, the Roland Emmerich movie) and holyjesustittyfuckingchrist what did I just watch? No, seriously. I can't believe this one actually made +700mil. The acting was terrible, storyline was awful, "You can download my blog".. what?? The effects were.. ok.
And while I was in same masochistic mood I decided to give me another handicapped celluloid handjob by watching the 3D version of Journey 2. I can't believe I'm going to say this but here's the thing: this movie was way better than 2012. It still sucked large donkey testicles but was somehow more enjoyable than the apocalyptic extravaganza.

While I'm at it, time to catch up with the latest episodes of Crime Scene Investigation (and I wouldn't be surprised if me and Saturnine are still the only ones on ETS watching this show).

Jinsai
11-05-2012, 02:39 AM
why the fuck am I watching Gremlins 2?

eversonpoe
11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
why the fuck am I watching Gremlins 2?

Answer: Robert Picardo

perch
11-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Sorry to disappoint you but this was the uncut scene.

http://images.hitfix.com/photos/2338352/Gremlins-2.jpg

Fixer808
11-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Charlie Bronson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKC-FKGMeCY

VS.

Chopper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDLtDQ55DBs

FIGHT!
It's an informal poll...

miss k bee
11-15-2012, 07:29 PM
The Hour

Misfits

Sutekh
11-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Just watched "The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye", terribly sad but strangely uplifting. Has a similarly dreamy feel to "The Alcohol Years" by Carol Morley. Reminds me of the sort of thing Channel 4 used to show late at night back when they still gave a shit.

You do feel the loss is that much worse because they had become so committed to each other, to point of getting surgery to align their appearances, etc. Gen describes it as "jumping off a cliff" together. How lost and adrift would you feel to lose someone after moving that close to them?

I love films about subcultural misfits and twilight worlds, so it hit the spot for me in that respect. So odd to see Gen cooking dinner and having a birthday bbq... not that they seem uncomfortable but it does make you think about rigidly conformist our lifestyles can be - they look so incongruous and shoehorned in to these domestic situations.

I was always more into Coil than Psychic TV & did used to wonder if Gen was just a bit of a blagger, but really this film made me think maybe he does believe in what he is doing. There's lots of arty shenanigans and cod-profundities to get cynical eyes rolling, but then suddenly things get a bit dark when they start getting surgery, and you realise that they really are serious people, their lifestyle isn't an accessory & their art is honest.

I suppose it isn't dark really, it's pretty profound that they would want to embrace each others' identities to the point of becoming one person split through two prisms, it's just such a strange expression of intimacy.

Recommended! It is out there

eversonpoe
11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
really, really can't wait until it's screened in chicago.

onthewall2983
11-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Zodiac ​again. Still Fincher's masterpiece.

thevoid99
11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I was just watching Shock Corridor by Samuel Fuller. Fuck, that was insane. Yet, a true example of what cinema is. The exact opposite of another film I had the unfortunate of watching a few weeks ago in Alvin & the Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked. The horror...

Fixer808
11-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Blown Away is on TV. I haven't seen this movie in fucking years.

thevoid99
11-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Blown Away is on TV. I haven't seen this movie in fucking years.

Which one? The Jeff Bridges/Tommy Lee Jones film or the one starring the Coreys?

Fixer808
11-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Which one? The Jeff Bridges/Tommy Lee Jones film or the one starring the Coreys?
The first one. Along with Speed, this movie made 1994 the "Summer of the mad bomber"!

heroicraptor
11-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Bill Nye the Science Guy!

hellospaceboy
11-23-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm halfway through the first season of American Horror Story. Don't know why it took me so long to give it a try, I freakin' love it!!!

thevoid99
11-23-2012, 09:19 PM
I just watched Holy Motors... what the fuck? That was a strange-ass movie but... absolutely brilliant.

Deepvoid
11-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Watched Ice Age 4 and End of Game last night.
The latter being one of the best "cop" movie in a long time.

Dra508
11-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl.

I am on such a history tear. Fascinating and so preventable.

miss k bee
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Take Me Home Tonight - retro 80's boy likes girl 'comedy' but something was missing the music was good but not that funny.

Can't believe ITV are showing a 3 hour David Lynch film!

Pillfred
11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl.

I am on such a history tear. Fascinating and so preventable.
Is that an older film cause i watched something similar in my Dakotas history class a couple years back.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Take Me Home Tonight - retro 80's boy likes girl 'comedy' but something was missing the music was good but not that funny.

Can't believe ITV are showing a 3 hour David Lynch film!

I watched this on Netflix one night and it was.... ok. What was missing was the comedy in general. I remember seeing the trailer for this a long time ago and it actually made me laugh, but some of those scenes were not even in the movie that was a let down.. it just was not that much of a good time. The dance off was pretty humorous though.

marodi
11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Is that an older film cause i watched something similar in my Dakotas history class a couple years back.

No, it's new and it just aired on PBS a few days ago. And I missed it. Thank god for torrent sites!

One day, when I have the monies, I'm buying everything Ken Burns has done. I've borrowed Baseball and The Civil War so many times from the library that when I go and get something else, I'm being asked if I finally got tired of them.

Nope, never going to happen.

Oh and I've watched In Dreams recently. Annette Bening is overdoing it a bit but dear lord, creepy RDJ is fantastic.

Dra508
11-29-2012, 07:58 AM
No, it's new and it just aired on PBS a few days ago. And I missed it. Thank god for torrent sites!

PBS is streaming it on their website through 12/4.

I finally watched Black Swan. Ewwww creepy. I got a bit lost when she was hallucinating and when she wasn't - or was it just ALL in her head. That putting the camera right behind her was so obvious it started to annoy me a bit - yet - I still got lost.

Canuckle
11-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I love me some ESPN's 30 for 30....

Watched Benji the other night and it was gut-wrenching. Got to hear the unedited story of his shooting from the actual shooter.

(Now I need to find a way to get the first season of 30 for 30 on Blu Ray without paying full price)

Highly Psychological
11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Would recommend a powerful documentary/film called Dreams Of A Life, about a 37 year old woman who was discovered in her London apartment having been dead for 3 years.
It asks how such a beautiful, intelligent social hi flying woman who had been friends with Gil Scott Heron and met Nelson Mandella simply vanished off the face of the earth and lost contact with everyone around her including friends and family.
She died in 2003 her body was discovered in 2006. She was not murdered there was no foul play and it was not Drug/Alcohol related.
Her name was Joyce Vincent. When they found her the T.V was still on and her disintegrated body was on the couch facing it! No one noticed the smell because a huge air fan unit/thing was next to her window.
Her apartment was above a shopping Mall where Hundreds of thousands of people visit every week. She was dead the whole time above it! Chilling.
Documentary resonated with me because i used to live literally 2 minutes away from the apartment complex where she died and i know how shitty the area is.

It examines how people can just fall through the cracks and loose contact with everyone they have ever known and end up in a situation where no one knows your dead or reports you missing for 3 years until bailiffs knock down your door.

It sounds depressing but its fascinating and way better than i expected, just sort of chronicles someones journey from the peak of their life into the abyss over the space of a few years, and it looks at the impact her death had on the area she lived in. Its won loads of awards got a lot of attention last year, been meaning to see it for ages, its an amazing piece.

Fixer808
11-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Expendables 2. The only reason Norris and Arnie are in it are to recycle things they've said in previous movies and/or be Chuck Norris. Horrible. At least I have Dark City as a backup to wash the taste outta my mouth...

A masterpiece of wanton butchery, though.

Fixer808
12-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Die Another Day is on TV. Pierce Brosnan is absolutely shit as Bond.

thevoid99
12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Die Another Day is on TV. Pierce Brosnan is absolutely shit as Bond.

That is the worst film of the Bond series for me. It was just hella-dumb.

Meanwhile... I just saw Rosemary's Baby. Goddamn!!!

allegro
12-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Shut up. You're in Dubrovnik, I can't hear you.

Fixer808
12-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Alright Moonrise Kingdom, tug at my heartstrings.

ibanez33
12-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Why did it take me so long to start Workaholics? Binging through the first season right now, 1 or 2 episodes to go.