PDA

View Full Version : Django Unchained

theruiner
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Teaser for the teaser (http://www.etonline.com/movies/122367_The_Django_Unchained_Trailer_Preview/index.html#)

The actual teaser is supposed to debut online tomorrow.

onthewall2983
06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Unrelated, but someone should do a Broken-style remix of the Entertainment Tonight theme.

Lutz
06-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I have the script if anyone is interested...

Santos L Halper
06-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Django Unchained Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rC8VJ9aeB_g)

Fixer808
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooh yeah!

PooPooMeowChow
06-06-2012, 06:56 PM
For some reason Im not diggin the trailer (yes its only a trailer) I think it's either the traditional trailer music that makes the movie look like it will be some kind of action-comedy. or Walts playing basically the same character as in Inglourious Basterds.

EPICRAGE
06-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Django Unchained Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rC8VJ9aeB_g)

Someone who knows how to make a gif, please make one of Leo's closeup 1:20-1:23!!!

theruiner
06-06-2012, 08:35 PM
For some reason Im not diggin the trailer (yes its only a trailer) I think it's either the traditional trailer music that makes the movie look like it will be some kind of action-comedy. or Walts playing basically the same character as in Inglourious Basterds.I'm with you. It left me completely cold.

That being said, I don't care that much about trailers. If a trailer is good, then great. If it's not, then I try to remember that a lot of times the trailer doesn't do the movie justice. It's Tarantino, so I'll be there first day, and no trailer is going to dampen my excitement.

thevoid99
06-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I love it! It looks exciting and all of that violence. Pure Tarantino.

littlemonkey613
06-06-2012, 09:24 PM
That was AWESOME! Favorite shot had to be the blood splashing on the flowers also Leo looks hilarious. Can't wait.
EPICRAGE, found this on my facebook newsfeed!http://i.imgur.com/2DN0L.gif

marodi
06-06-2012, 09:58 PM
138 high-res stills from the trailer (http://thefilmstage.com/news/break-loose-with-138-high-resolution-stills-from-quentin-tarantinos-django-unchained)

Favorite shot had to be the blood splashing on the flowers

That was cotton flowers. Blood on cotton; what an powerful image; it's my favorite one too. For you, littlemonkey613:

From the above link: blood on cotton (http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Django_Unchained_Quentin_Tarantino_100.png)

onthewall2983
06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
This is going to be featured with in theaters with Prometheus so just a heads up for anyone who wants to wait until Friday to see it.

EPICRAGE
06-07-2012, 06:35 AM
EPICRAGE, found this on my facebook newsfeed!http://i.imgur.com/2DN0L.gif

haha thanks, that's awesome, but missing the little nod he does! Judging from the trailer it looks like Leo is having a lot of fun in that role.

orestes
06-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Dude, that's what tumblr is for. ;)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5a1n2TAM41qzv1y5o1_500.gif

october_midnight
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
LOL those Leo gifs are all jokes haha.

As for the movie, whereas I'm a Tarantino fan, I feel that he maaaay be relying too much on the revenge click nowadays. Even Inglorious Basterds was centered on revenge. Not saying it's bad, but I'd love to see something completely out of left field.

carpenoctem
06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Good thing I'm already a loyal Tarantino fan, or this trailer would have completely turned me off.

Also, Christmas is gonna be a big day for Leo - last I heard that's when they are releasing The Great Gatsby. Christmas double feature, y/y?

Wretchedest
06-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I am bothered by waltz as the same character, and i really really wish they got will smith for that part. Cant stand jamie foxx.

It still looks great though. I trust quentin tarantino.

BlueCalx
06-08-2012, 05:13 PM
The trailer is ass. They're trying to promote it like Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill, and it looks like it'll be quite unlike both those movies. I think we're in for something a lot darker than the trailer, with its reliance on clever quips and Blazing Saddles-esque comic violence suggests. I'll go see anything Tarantino releases, I hope it's as good as its pedigree suggests. And yeah, I agree that it's a pity they couldn't get Will Smith. I don't have a problem with Jamie Foxx at all, but I think Will Smith would be able to lend the role a certain gravitas that few other actors could. Then again, what do I know? Jamie Foxx has played Ray Charles, he knows plenty about gravitas.

Also, Waltz as same character? As what, his character in Inglourious Basterds?​ I don't see it.

carpenoctem
06-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I think Will Smith leading a Tarantino movie would be weird; even Brad Pitt was more bit player in an ensemble than leading man. I don't know, I guess I just see Tarantino as having a gift for nurturing underdogs rather than gunning for obvious A-listers. But casting Foxx and DiCaprio is pretty surprising, the latter especially is certainly not an actor in need of nurturing.

BlueCalx
06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Oh, well, it's common-ish knowledge that the part of Django was written specifically for Smith. I think when Tarantino writes with an actor in mind, he does it with a solid knowledge of that actor's strengths and weaknesses. Also, at this point in his career, it can be argued that Smith is something of an underdog. Sure, he's making boffo box office cash still, but he's doing it with safe stuff like MIB3. His last movie, Seven Pounds, was a famous bomb both critically and commercially, and he took two years off from the screen after its release. There's said to be an I Am Legend sequel in the works, and (god, why?) another I, Robot. The only not-sequel that Will Smith is working on is After Earth, a sci-fi thriller directed by everyone's favourite, M. Night Shyamalan. Smith jumping on Django instead would've been a win-win situation for audiences, Smith, and Tarantino, I think.

PooPooMeowChow
06-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Also, Waltz as same character? As what, his character in Inglourious Basterds?​ I don't see it.

Nazi that hunts for Jews/A German bounty hunter.

I know they will be different in the movie. But the trailer kinda seems like its made so people will see Walts and think "oh the German guy was great in Inglourious Basterds, he's doing it again." Know what I mean?

orestes
06-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Then those people are stupid.

dlb
06-09-2012, 02:52 PM
The problem or good thing (you choose) is that Waltz is not playing a role, but himself. All the time. It was evident way back when he startet out in Germany and Austria and it still is with his bigger roles. At least that is the impression I get with alot of his movies and cameos (I try to forget the Three Musketeers and the Green Hornet).

Tarantino saw the potential, took him and put his playing into a fitting context and I hope it will work out for Django, too. I just hope Waltz won't become the next Jürgen Prochnow. The danger is definitely there.

The trailer looks and sounds promising and I like Fox as Django. My only complaint would be that the movie comes across as too funny, but that's mainly due to DiCaprio and the way the trailer was done. I'm waiting for my judgement and see if it fits the movie or if it's too overused and gets too ridiculous.

This time I won't get too psyched because of a trailer since it tricked me once with Inglourious Basterds and left me disappointed after coming out of the theater.

Wretchedest
06-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I think Will Smith leading a Tarantino movie would be weird; even Brad Pitt was more bit player in an ensemble than leading man. I don't know, I guess I just see Tarantino as having a gift for nurturing underdogs rather than gunning for obvious A-listers. But casting Foxx and DiCaprio is pretty surprising, the latter especially is certainly not an actor in need of nurturing.

What about Travolta? And deniro?
Will smith would have been so interesting. I dont think tarantino is about jurturing obscure actors... i think as a notorious typecaster hes more about picking interesting roles that make excellent use of an actors talents. Smith turning down a tarantino typecast just seems insane to me. Its the sort of thing a-listers dream of.

The Fifth Witness
06-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Honestly, the trailer makes it seem like a Kill Bill-type movie... but having read the script it's more like Inglourious Basterds.

Sallos
06-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I have the script if anyone is interested...

I'd like it very much.

Kinda feel like the trailer gave away to much about the movie, then again i had no idea what this was all about, still could've shown us a little bit less i think.

The Fifth Witness
06-10-2012, 04:35 PM
The trailer is extremely misleading in a lot of ways, which is going to mean a lot of people are going to be shocked when they see/hear how harsh the movie is in terms of racial tension. It certainly has its dark comedy parts as do all Tarantino movies, but it doesn't hold back in intensity.

carpenoctem
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
What about Travolta? And deniro?
Will smith would have been so interesting. I dont think tarantino is about jurturing obscure actors... i think as a notorious typecaster hes more about picking interesting roles that make excellent use of an actors talents. Smith turning down a tarantino typecast just seems insane to me. Its the sort of thing a-listers dream of.

That's a good point about Travolta and De Niro.
Maybe my point is just that I think Will Smith is kind of ridiculous and not appropriate stock for a Tarantino film.

BlueCalx
06-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Maybe my point is just that I think Will Smith is kind of ridiculous and not appropriate stock for a Tarantino film.

But that's exactly what people said about Travolta prior to Pulp Fiction. Remember, he was considered washed up for most of the 80s after having starred in a string of flops, and was consigned to roles in goofy comedies before playing Vincent Vega gave his career a shot in the arm. Will Smith has done some ridiculous movies and will continue to do so, but if Tarantino wanted Smith at all, he wanted him for good reason.

Wretchedest
06-11-2012, 12:23 AM

I definitely get that. Its just that that's one of the things i find so enticing about it.

bobbie solo
06-11-2012, 12:26 AM
i can hate aspects of Will Smith's career as much as the next guy, but he is a helluva actor, and if his ego didn't destroy the process, there def. could be magic between him & Tarantino. The problem is, his ego is limitless nowadays, so that's doubtful.

Minpin
06-11-2012, 01:04 PM
You guys do realize this is another ''homage'' *cough rip off* Right? RIGHT?

Really? REALLY!?

Im not doubting. Must've taken an awesome feat of mental prowess to figure out.

Reading through those film titles it's like I sense... some vague similarity... some recurrence... I just cant quite see it. God djang it! :p

RocketScience
06-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Not to forget this one, including a cameo by Tarantino himself.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukiyaki_Western_Django

dlb
06-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Well, I've seen some of those Django movies and plenty of other spaghetti westerns and I truly hope that Django Unchained is more like them than Inglorious Basterds was compared to the original Bastards and the likes (Kelly's Heroes, Steiner the Iron Cross, the Dirty Dozen, Heroes of Telemark etc.). I was kinda let down by the fact that it felt so different to those and frankly I was missing some of those "basterds".

Minpin
06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Nah, I have been watching films since you were in the nut-sac.
Bravo! You're older than me. What an achievement! I'll be watching films when you're in a grave, so what?
Have you also been pointing out the obvious since I was "in the nut-sac"?

I only mentioned it as other members did not.
Only? You didn't mention it so you could do the oh-so-snide *cough rip off*?

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy hearing from the detractors as much as the fans. I'm only having a dig because when october_midnight posts something negative in a thread you start crying and spout something like "if you don't like .............., stay out of ................'s thread".

Gotta practice what we preach. Run along now :p

Goldfoot
06-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Nah, I have been watching films since you were in the nut-sac. I only mentioned it as other members did not. Aside from a few members who post in the cinema section I don't have alot of faith in this communities taste/knowledge.:D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TTPQCPA6I/AAAAAAAACwA/ZHZH-Bi8OmI/s400/ALOT2.png
Does it need to be mentioned? It's hardly news that Quentin borrows a lot of what he does from other places. And if it is news to someone, I don't see what difference that is going to make at this point. In relation to this project, it remains to be seen how closely it will relate to existing ones. And even if it's a bunch of pieces of previous works thrown together, does that automatically make it bad or not worth seeing? No. Look at all of the stuff Banksy does. How much of that is original? Or any of these electronic musicians who compose their songs mostly from samples? What about any story that uses the "Hero's Journey" formula as its structure? These sorts of things can be good in their own right and it doesn't need to be constantly pointed out.

To stay on topic, I'm sure I'll see this, though I have never had much interest in westerns. I've seen a few and I've just never been all that impressed. It's weird because that time period is quite interesting to me, and I really like watching movies, but I rarely find a combination of those two things that seem to keep my interest.

PooPooMeowChow
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
International Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ekxROBok84&feature=plcp

I have to say I like it more.

aggroculture
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Was it that Will Smith didn't want to play a slave? Also, that trailer shows way too much. But it looks good.

thevoid99
06-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Oooohhhhwweeeeeeee!!! That looks good. I so want to see this!

PooPooMeowChow
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Will Smith on Django.

And speaking of Smith, he was also asked recently about why he bailed on the title role in Quentin Tarantino (http://stars.ign.com/objects/911/911919.html)'s Django Unchained (http://movies.ign.com/objects/107/107333.html). He told Empire (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?nid=34104) the following: "I came really close, it was one of the most amazing screenplays I had ever ever seen. I was in the middle of Men in Black 3 and [Tarantino] was ready to go, and I just couldn't sit with him and get through the issues, so I didn't want to hold him up. That thing's going to be ridiculous. It is a genius screenplay."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/14/will-smith-not-really-into-i-am-legend-2

orestes
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
New 60-second spot. (http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2012/07/new-django-unchained-60-second-spot/)

thevoid99
07-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I was marking out at the opening music. Morricone!!!! And the new stuff they're showing... this film will rock!

Magtig
10-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Trailer 2 (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/djangounchained/)

Anybody bring any extra bags?

carpenoctem
10-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Gotta say the second trailer is way better. The first one seemed like an over-the-top fan made parody of what a Quentin Tarantino film might look like, but this is more on the money.

Plus: LEO DICAPRIO'S TEETH.

ManBurning
10-11-2012, 12:46 AM
I may be in the minority saying this... but latley, Mr. Tarantino's film's have been a little sub-par.
They just haven't been doing it for me. Seems like they went down hill after Jackie Brown (which is kind of hit or miss as it was).

HOWEVER, with that being said... This looks like a true return to form for him. I must say I actually am excited for once to see a QT film again.
This movie looks pretty darn impressive.

Magtig
10-11-2012, 01:45 AM
Tarantino always said Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs were both 'hang out' films. After you watch them the first time you're not worrying about what's going to happen, you just hang out with the characters. I didn't think much of Jackie Brown after the first viewing, but when I saw it the second time I loved it.

As far as post Jackie Brown viewing goes, I think Inglorious Basterds might be my favorite Tarantino of them all.

ManBurning
10-11-2012, 02:35 AM
Anyone here see the movie "four rooms" about a bell hop who has a disastourous night at a hotel based on 4 rooms that keep calling him all night?
Each of the 4 rooms had it's own director with the 4th and final room (ending of the movie) being Tarantino.
Bell hop was played by none other than Tim Roth (who was in Reservoir Dogs as well). QT sure likes to reuse his actors it seems...

Anyway, loved that movie. It seems to be the more lesser known of his work (maybe because he wasn't full director for the whole film). But check it out for those that haven't, it's worth the watch.

PooPooMeowChow
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCwvqqNskXk&feature=plcp
ohhhh I can't waittt

ManBurning
12-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Well, The movie is finally out today, Christmas Day 2012! Probably going to go catch the late show after Christmas Dinner. I've been hearing really good things about it, so i'm excited! I hope it lives up to the hype, Tarantino movies have been hit or miss recently in my opinion. This movie, like most of his, has a pretty all star cast though.

thevoid99
12-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Here's my review (http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2012/12/django-unchained.html). I had a great time watching until something happened 2 hours into the film. The screen went blank. Nothing happened for 20-25 minutes because the power suddenly went out. What a way to ruin a film-going experience.

ManBurning
12-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Here's my review (http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2012/12/django-unchained.html). I had a great time watching until something happened 2 hours into the film. The screen went blank. Nothing happened for 20-25 minutes because the power suddenly went out. What a way to ruin a film-going experience.

I hope the theatre decided to give you a free movie pass for the inconvienence. I remember when theatre's used to treat their customer's right when stuff like this happened, doesn't seem to happen as much anymore. But for a screw up that signifigant, I would have demanded some sort of refund or compensation for the mess up.

theruiner
12-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Tarantino needs to stop making cameos in his movies. Especially when he's trying to do a foreign accent. Seriously, Tarantino? Pulled me right out of the film (just for that scene, though).

thevoid99
12-25-2012, 08:58 PM
I hope the theatre decided to give you a free movie pass for the inconvenience. I remember when theatre's used to treat their customer's right when stuff like this happened, doesn't seem to happen as much anymore. But for a screw up that significant, I would have demanded some sort of refund or compensation for the mess up.

I was able to get a free movie pass after seeing the film. I'll use it for Les Miserables.

ManBurning
12-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Fucking Fantasic Film!

THAT.IS.ALL.

Kodiak33
12-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Saw it last night and loved it. Highly entertaining, and brutal.

REPLICA
12-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Excellent film, I am going to see it again next week.

october_midnight
12-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Just got back. Ended up not liking it as much as I had hoped, but it was still pretty good. Waltz can't help but steal every bloody scene he's in, he's that fuckin' good. DiCaprio and Foxx killed it too. I'd put this in the bottom half of my Tarantino favorites list, but still like I said....really good movie!

botley
12-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Tarantino needs to stop making cameos in his movies. Especially when he's trying to do a foreign accent. Seriously, Tarantino? Pulled me right out of the film (just for that scene, though).
This. Apart from that one egotistical moment I was captivated by the film. So very much of the discourse about Tarantino's work becomes about HIM — even this thread is largely about HIS EYE for actors and how he likes to reuse them, resurrect them, whatever. Let's talk about the work, instead. Lots of amazing filmic techniques and bravado myth-making on display here.

Fixer808
12-29-2012, 10:32 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but did it have a signature "out of the trunk" shot? I guess whoever responds should spoiler-tag it...

orestes
12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
None that I recall.

Deadpool
12-30-2012, 12:11 AM
This movie blew me away. I haven't stopped thinking about it since seeing it Christmas night. I was glued to the screen the whole time, which is saying something for such a long film. I was thoroughly shaken and entertained all throughout. Every scene was like its own little movie, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Ive only seen it once, but I'm very tempted to say I favor DjangoUnchained over Inglourious (a movie that I deeply admire and have seen many times): Django seems to move (and meander) with more energy, and the lack of chapter breaks certainly helps. I found Django to be funnier, at least equally as tense, more cathartic, and appropriately (not exploitively) provocative. I purposely waited a few days to post about it, because the movie gave me such a ridiculous high during and afterwards.

Fixer808
12-30-2012, 12:15 AM
None that I recall.
Weird, I'd have thought someone would be showing someone else a giant gun in a stage-coach's back trunk thingy, and nobody would see it until it was pulled out of the trunk and the camera went all "THIS IS A HERO WEAPON, LOOK NOW" in true Tarantino style!

I'll have to go see it asap!

mfte
12-31-2012, 08:06 AM
This movie had no business being as long as it was. The characters just kept on talking and talking and talking. I know this is QT style but Django border lines self parody as far as I am concerned. 2 out of 5.

carpenoctem
01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
This movie had no business being as long as it was. The characters just kept on talking and talking and talking. I know this is QT style but Django border lines self parody as far as I am concerned. 2 out of 5.

For me, I could listen to Tarantino (or his characters) talk all day. Like I would just give him a phone book, lay back on the couch and listen for twelve to sixteen hours. Especially the way he wrote Christoph Waltz, and Waltz's perfect delivery of those lines - I could just listen to it forever.

The bloodshed at the very end was the only thing that bored me. The soupy blood splatter was entertaining in the same way that the Kool-Aid fountain amputations were in Kill Bill, but I was just like, "Meh."

aggroculture
01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
http://gawker.com/5972453/samuel-l-jackson-refuses-to-answer-question-about-abundance-of-nigger-in-django-unchained-unless-interviewer-says-the-word

Jinsai
01-03-2013, 12:40 AM
I liked the movie, but yeah, it was a bit too long. They could have easily shaved 20 minutes off and it probably would have flowed a lot better for it. Still, that's barely a complaint, and overall it was pretty great.

Presideo
01-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I actually thought the dialogue length was pretty controlled compared to other Tarantino films. The only major dialogue-driven scene in the whole movie was the skull diatribe with Leo. I also can't think of any scene that could have been cut. Everything seemed to flow nicely. I guess the scene with the Klan hoods could have been axed, but it was too damn funny for it to be excluded.

My only complaint was that Leo and Jackson's characters felt more like comedy relief characters rather than true antagonists. Compared to Waltz's character in Inglorious Basterds, the Francophile and Uncle Tom seemed rather tame and cartoonish.

Jinsai
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Compared to Waltz's character in Inglorious Basterds, the Francophile and Uncle Tom seemed rather tame and cartoonish.

I think part of what made them fascinating to me was how transparently pathetic and ridiculous they both were, which I thought was enhanced by the setting and gave some awesome purpose to the protagonists in the final "fuck you." If anything, this should finally silence the people who claim that Quentin isn't an original filmmaker. I've really never seen a movie like this.

Findus
01-04-2013, 03:37 AM
Interesting.
http://showbizgeek.com/django-unchained-the-ultimate-trivia/#more-8563

Also, a couple of weeks ago I spotted Kino Blu-ray and DVD copies of Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen (both Siegfried and Kriemhild's Revenge) which is the film version of the German epic about Siegfried the dragon slayer. The films were recently restored by the F.W. Murnau foundation.
It can also be viewed here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhil0b_die-nibelungen-siegfried-1924-by-fritz-lang_shortfilms#.UOagLI58vzK

Kodiak33
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I can not believe Katt Williams and Spike Lee are so upset about this movie. It shows how awful slaves were treated (maybe the Mandingo thing isn't true, but whatever).

Presideo
01-04-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm guessing Lee didn't like the way slavery was sensationalized and given the glossy Hollywood treatment. I can understand that sentiment, but I also don't think every movie depicting slavery has to be like Roots. I don't find it offensive for Tarantino to use 1800's America as the backdrop for an original revenge story. Lee would rather remake a violent Korean film for his revenge story - to each his own, I guess.

Also, the use of the n-word in the movie isn't any different from Mark Twain's use of the word in Tom Sawyer, or many other period pieces centered around that time. Excluding the word might make everybody feel more comfortable and copacetic, but that would discount why the 1800's South setting was used in these stories in the first place - it's a black-eye in American history, and it's supposed to make the audience feel uncomfortable.

As for Katt Williams, his comedy routine is far more offensive towards Black America than anything depicted in Django. Instead of threatening Tarantino he should stick to his day-job: making hours worth of unfunny crackhead and food stamp jokes.

Kodiak33
01-04-2013, 08:41 PM
They had a sound byte from Katt on Howard Stern yesterday saying that he had an IQ of 160 and he got tested every 6 months. I about fell out of my chair in amazement.

Kid Charlemagne
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Saw it last night, I did think it was pretty long. I normally like QT's dialogue, but I did feel that some of it was just unnecessary and went nowhere. I also felt that a chunk of it was a rehash of Inglorious Basterds. I liked the film, but I think he's done better. I did like the old "Django" theme at the start of the film as well as all of the music choices. Oh, and Franco fucking Nero showing up was bad ass. Also, never seen a theater erupt with laughter quite like the "white bag" scene with Jonah Hill.

S. Chonson
01-07-2013, 03:58 AM
I'll just say this: Samuel L Jackson's character was awesome.

Jinsai
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm guessing Lee didn't like the way slavery was sensationalized and given the glossy Hollywood treatment.

Considering that Spike Lee has said that he refuses to actually see the movie, he's in no position to judge it on those grounds.

Wretchedest
01-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Thats really wierd... i remember spike lee conplaining in the past that other films that take place in the period neglect ti properly address slavery.... and here we have a mostly unflinching and disturbing portrait of slavery as a wholly barbaric practice. The whole central theme is about how the individual shoupdnt just cowardly accept the intolerant practices of the whole...

That said this does point ti the film most glaring flaw, which is that it often steers away from pushing our face in the shit, so to speak, to present us with out of place scenes like the one with Jonah Hill or the director cameo at the end. Ive been left to wonder why a talent like tarantino would derail his own train like that. But Im wonderin if those scenes are meant to portray a rejection of their respective victims innocence... thoughts?

botley
01-07-2013, 08:18 PM
You can't just unrelentingly push peoples' faces in shit, as you put it, and expect to reach any kind of broad audience. People generally do go to movies for entertainment. There need to be some pleasurable experiences along the way, be they eye/ear candy or comic relief, even in a harrowing drama like this one. I found the bag scene provided something novel and fun to liven up the mood a little, maybe there was nothing more intended by it than that.

It did humanize the villains, which was in my opinion to serve the theme of 'all of this barbaric stuff seems implausible now but it DID really happen; now, how can I make you relate to the humans perpetrating it'. I don't agree that the movie rehashed Inglourious Basterds. Yes, it is a revenge story and there's a certain amount of historical revisionism, but that's not exactly a unique idea of Tarantino's. However, the combination of avenging Blaxploitation cinema, Germanic hero mythos, classic Westerns... this is a salad of genres I don't think anyone else has mixed before.

Presideo
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah, the bag scene added some humor to a pretty bleak story. Sometimes that's needed, especially in a near 3 hour movie.

Also, I didn't find Tarantino's appearance to be nearly as distracting/intrusive as most people make it out to be. His character wasn't important at all and everybody knew exactly what was going to happen in that scene anyways. I understand that he has no acting skills, but even an award-winning actor couldn't do much with a character who appears for 5 minutes and has 8 lines of straightforward dialogue.

S. Chonson
01-07-2013, 10:39 PM
How did Leonardo DiCaprio cut his hand?

Harry Seaward
01-10-2013, 01:27 AM
How did Leonardo DiCaprio cut his hand?

Leonardo DiCaprio cut his hand while the cameras were rolling on the set of "Django Unchained" and kept moving through the scene, never breaking character. His real-life bloodied hand made it into the final version of the film, The Weinstein Company has confirmed with Yahoo! Movies.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-golden-globes/leonardo-dicaprio-real-blood-django-unchained-scene-201237591.html

Findus
01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
A friend of mine thinks he spotted a mistake. He said the receipt was dated 1858 instead of 1859. Anyone else spot this, or is it indeed dated 1859?

S. Chonson
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
A friend of mine thinks he spotted a mistake. He said the receipt was dated 1858 instead of 1859. Anyone else spot this, or is it indeed dated 1859?

Tell him movies are fake.

Presideo
01-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Didn't pay attention in theaters, but the DVD screener that leaked doesn't have the year of the receipt in frame.

Oh yeah, the DVD screener leaked (along with a bunch of other movies)

bobbie solo
01-11-2013, 02:04 AM
zero dark thirty, the hobbit...

Conan The Barbarian
01-11-2013, 03:19 AM
just watched it, holy shit.

Fixer808
01-11-2013, 03:49 AM
I spotted a spelling mistake today in my copy of "No Country for Old Muen", is it worth money?

aggroculture
01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
^^^
I'd love to see QT tackle a Cormac McCarthy book: after Django, maybe he's the guy to finally do justice to Blood Meridian.

Saw it last night: enjoyable, thrilling, visually-stunning, emotionally powerful film.
A bit like a dudes' The Help, where you have an enlightened white character helping black characters get revenge on their evil white masters.
I would have liked a bit more back story for the German (maybe that occurred when I went to the restroom?).
Samuel L. Jackson was amazing.

Watching the theme tune reminded me of Thrones' awesome cover of the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaUC0OSYC8

Bluegirl
01-18-2013, 07:56 PM
^^^
I would have liked a bit more back story for the German (maybe that occurred when I went to the restroom?).
Samuel L. Jackson was amazing.

I was also curious about how a dentist becomes a bounty hunter. This is one time I would enjoy a prequel. I have to say that the movie lost the fun factor with the doctor and Leo gone.

I agree that Leo's character was over the top but he was intentionally ridiculous. The name of his plantation, the drinks he has, the fast close ups, the banter between him and Samuel L. Jackson, the fact that he is obsessed with french culture and wants to be called monsieur but does not speak french. He was the over the top bad guy for an over the top revenge story. Had he been more normal Django's revenge would have seemed like over kill.

I also agree with R-Dot-Yung that Django was not likable. He was fine to me in the beginning of the movie but after they got to candie land it was almost like they were trying too hard to make him seem bad-ass.

Over all I really liked the movie. I don't think it is Tarantino's best but he always makes an entertaining movie worth watching.

aggroculture
01-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Oh and I loved the Blazing Saddles reference.

carpenoctem
01-18-2013, 09:40 PM
^^^
I'd love to see QT tackle a Cormac McCarthy book: after Django, maybe he's the guy to finally do justice to Blood Meridian.

Omg yes. But could he do it without funky sax music?

october_midnight
01-19-2013, 12:18 AM
One of the most ridiculously idiotic people alive, Reverend Al Sharpton...has declared NECA's MEGO figures based on the movie as 'offensive'. The result? NECA pulls them and won't distribute them. The next result?

The few that got out are worth....uhh.... (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NECA-DJANGO-UNCHAINED-6-ACTION-FIGURE-COMPLETE-RARE-SET-BROOMHILDA-STEPHEN-/230913368444?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item35c382617c)

Fixer808
01-19-2013, 01:03 AM
One of the most ridiculously idiotic people alive, Reverend Al Sharpton...has declared NECA's MEGO figures based on the movie as 'offensive'. The result? NECA pulls them and won't distribute them. The next result?

The few that got out are worth....uhh.... (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NECA-DJANGO-UNCHAINED-6-ACTION-FIGURE-COMPLETE-RARE-SET-BROOMHILDA-STEPHEN-/230913368444?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item35c382617c)
Huh, Sharpton probably didn't expect the irony of a bidding war.

miss k bee
01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Liked it but thought it was a bit overlong. Almost didn't recognise Samuel L Jackson!. The use of the N word didnt bother me at all.

Alexandros
01-24-2013, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I'm really baffled by the negative reaction in regards to the racist content and how it is treated. First of all, slavery is portrayed as something horrible, even amidst the humour and rampant badassery. Secondly, the movie takes place in racist times and in plantations worked by slaves and run by racist owners with racist families.

ibanez33
01-24-2013, 03:32 AM
Someone found the character that connects Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction/etc universe:

http://i.imgur.com/gLNCOLU.png

Also "Nash" is the name of the tortured cop in Reservoir Dogs (Marvin Nash). I thought I caught another connection when I was watching it last week, but I'd completely forgotten it by the time I got home and it's not coming back to me...

If anyone's unaware, all of his movies take place in the same universe, with the exception of Kill Bill, which is a movie within that universe, which is *actually* a movie adaptation of Fox Force Five, starring Mia Wallace as The Bride.

... I've been watching too much Tarantino lately.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Oh, shit, that's cool. I had that in the back of my mind while I was watching and I never caught it. Nice find!

This soundtrack is so awesome. I'd give a left testicle to get it on vinyl. Or maybe like, $30-40.

Highly Psychological
03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Finally saw it, brilliant but not as good as Inglorious Basterds. It was definetly the funniest Tarantino picture yet. The scene at the end where the horse does the little dance had me in hysterics for some reason It was all so absurd.

Love how original it was, he is such a great writer. But i just think Inglorious Basterds had a better more coherent plotline as a whole.

ambergris
04-06-2013, 11:20 AM
So I watched it yesterday and thought it was a very good movie with a few flaws. For example, I was underwhelmed by the Django character. That could be the fault of Jamie Foxx, or of Tarantino. Django is surrounded by characters (and actors) that are more interesting than him. Maybe Django is just meant to be a cipher. I was a little underwhelmed by the soundtrack which wasn't quite what I expected from Tarantino, but it's a minor concern. Still, the movie is fun and cruel, I was never bored. I can't quite take DiCaprio seriously as a villain, he'll always be a teen actor for me. But of course, in the movie he did not portray the 'bad guy' anyway, but the decadent offspring of the bad guys. Most of the main characters were representatives of their classes and Tarantino's intent was to show the absurdity of a system (slavery), not the actions of characters. It was something different and quite nasty to certain people (who deserve it).