PDA

View Full Version : The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

NIN64
12-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Just finally worked an uninterrupted play through into my schedule. At the moment I like it more than the Social Network score, which I really liked. I can't wait to hear these tracks put to the film!

sheepdean
12-11-2011, 04:45 PM
For those of you who ripped all the website tracks, would you mind saying which ones are on the OST, and if they're longer/shorter/differenter?

Jon
12-11-2011, 04:56 PM
For those of you who ripped all the website tracks, would you mind saying which ones are on the OST, and if they're longer/shorter/differenter?

do you really want to know? what if TR decides to put the cfitt tracks on the usb included with the deluxe edition? (not saying this is a possibility)

sheepdean
12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
do you really want to know? what if TR decides to put the cfitt tracks on the usb included with the deluxe edition? (not saying this is a possibility)
I have the tracks, somewhere on this bloody hard drive, anyway - and can't afford the LE. I just want to know for ninwiki, and have lost mine. Don't need to hear them, just want to know differences!

Lisbeth
12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Incorrect.

Corey, no idea. I haven't heard the FYC version and I'm not really rushing to it since it's shorter and doesn't have anything new on it. imail724, the dotcom.mp3 is shorter on the OST and is called "She Reminds Me Of You."

Thx for the clarification. ;)

Jon
12-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I have the tracks, somewhere on this bloody hard drive, anyway - and can't afford the LE. I just want to know for ninwiki, and have lost mine. Don't need to hear them, just want to know differences!

I'm not trying to be stingy at all, but I do not want to be the one to post what I've noticed so far on the (very limited) tracks I've gone through. I think there's a much better time for this (like March of next year)

sheepdean
12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm not trying to be stingy at all, but I do not want to be the one to post what I've noticed so far on the (very limited) tracks I've gone through. I think there's a much better time for this (like March of next year)
..I don't see what your issue is tbh (fine if you don't want to of course). I mean, all of these tracks were available for all to hear, and they're all on the soundtrack. I just am not used to the OST enough yet to place each one, plus I've mislaid them on my hard drive (probably should've named them), so I figured asking people with a better musical memory than I made sense.
And on ninwiki, I'd simply note "was on CFITT" and note any differences

The Reason Being
12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I might have mentioned this before, but:

Recurring motif, anyone? That low, seething drone accompanied by that sustained higher note. Each time definitely sounds the same to me, enough to warrant mention. Or am I tripping balls?

She Reminds Me Of You @ 0:18

I Can't Take It Anymore @ 0:28

While Waiting @ 1:04

Throughout 'Millennia'

Throughout 'A Pair Of Doves'

imail724
12-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Incorrect.

Corey, no idea. I haven't heard the FYC version and I'm not really rushing to it since it's shorter and doesn't have anything new on it. imail724, the dotcom.mp3 is shorter on the OST and is called "She Reminds Me Of You."Cool. thanks!

Jon
12-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Got another listen in this evening...

What amounts to disc 1 (#1-#13) and disc 3 (#27-#39) is great. Disc 2 seems a little long sandwiched in-between those (my favorites from 2 are 'Under The Midnight Sun' and 'Aphelion').

Holy shit, though, 'Millenia' through 'Of Secrets' is probably the best TR/AR have done together so far. Very impressed with the last "sequence" of this score.

Harry Seaward
12-12-2011, 05:58 AM
'Millenia' through 'Of Secrets' is probably the best TR/AR have done together so far.

Are you including NIN in that?

slave2thewage
12-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Ugh, just got online for the first time in six days and I don't have an email to the OST. FML.

ItsJustDave
12-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Ugh, just got online for the first time in six days and I don't have an email to the OST. FML.
The original order receipt you received by e-mail should have a "live receipt" link included. Click on that and you should have access to the appropriate download.

Jon
12-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Are you including NIN in that?

yes, I haven't been too impressed with 2005-present as far as the studio goes (for releases under 'NIN')

Rdm
12-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I was so frustrated with trying to listen to this on shitty speakers I decided to buy some Sennheiser headphones. Plus i needed them anyways but this album will sound great on the Hd555 . = D

gorast
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I was so frustrated with trying to listen to this on shitty speakers I decided to buy some Sennheiser headphones. Plus i needed them anyways but this album will sound great on the Hd555 . = D

That reminds me that I need to upgrade from the HD 202s that I have.

But yeah, listening to this soundtrack through quality headphones is an entirely different and improved experience from subsequent listens through my laptop speakers. God this soundtrack is amazing.

acidpolly
12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
http://mouth-taped-shut.com/post/14130203633
tough guy

gorast
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
http://mouth-taped-shut.com/post/14130203633
tough guy
Was anyone besides me immensely confused as to the purpose of this photo?

jessamineny
12-12-2011, 04:01 PM

Maybe he's like Leo? You're supposed to find him at a screening so he can give you something? (Though one of the keywords is plague, which should mean avoid...)

butter_hole
12-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Maybe he's like Leo? You're supposed to find him at a screening so he can give you something? (Though one of the keywords is plague, which should mean avoid...)He's an actor, isn't he? I've seen him in something before.

new cool interview - http://thefilmstage.com/features/interview-trent-reznor-discusses-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/ (http://thefilmstage.com/features/interview-trent-reznor-discusses-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/)

Wretchedest
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
This music is so awesome! can't get it out of my head.

m0reta
12-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Maybe he's like Leo? You're supposed to find him at a screening so he can give you something? (Though one of the keywords is plague, which should mean avoid...)

Plague is the guy Lisbeth goes to when she needs some extra special hacking work done. :-D

plusminus
12-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Plague is the guy Lisbeth goes to when she needs some extra special hacking work done. :-D

Correct. That is probably his attire for the movie.

ike_krull
12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
He's an actor, isn't he? I've seen him in something before.

new cool interview - http://thefilmstage.com/features/interview-trent-reznor-discusses-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/ (http://thefilmstage.com/features/interview-trent-reznor-discusses-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/)

He's definitely an actor, this is him at .30 in extras:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuYHT4z_2U

I've seen him in Spaced too.

jessamineny
12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Well, the fact that he's an actor, and that the keyword is plague (and that Lisbeth goes to see Plague when she needs some extra special hacking work done), makes me even more sure of my suspicion. I wonder which city's screening you're supposed to find him at, and what he has to give you?

Edit: Oh, he actually plays Plague in the movie. Duh. His name is Tony Way.

signofthenine
12-12-2011, 07:26 PM

That's a great interview, thank you! I love the part about not just doing something, but giving it your all, as well as his end comments there about what constitutes success and failure.

I've still not managed a complete playthrough, but so far I already like it more than both Social Network and Ghosts. I find I keep coming back to Great Bird Of Prey.

PhoenixML
12-12-2011, 08:21 PM
This music is so awesome! can't get it out of my head.

I actually can't get it in my head cause there are too many content!! It is awesome and EPIC...ly long.

Magtig
12-12-2011, 09:02 PM
What's this then, three hours of fiddling with xylophones?

Indefinite_Cure
12-12-2011, 09:07 PM
What's this then, three hours of fiddling with xylophones?

no, marimbas!

Seriously the music is amazing!

Magtig
12-12-2011, 09:18 PM
This soundtrack needs more broken tink tink sounds. That's what it needs.

sheepdean
12-12-2011, 10:32 PM
The soundtrack is amazing in context of the film (just got back from screening). I was surprised where some tracks went, but it all made sense contextually.

acidpolly
12-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Plague is the guy Lisbeth goes to when she needs some extra special hacking work done. :-Dw
would be cool if he dressed like that in the movie :D

sheepdean
12-12-2011, 11:36 PM
w
would be cool if he dressed like that in the movie :D
He does! The whole cinema lol'd at that

bgalbraith
12-12-2011, 11:41 PM

That's fantastic. I wonder if Fincher chose With Teeth since he directed the music video for Only.

leo3375
12-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Haven't seen this movie yet, but I've read the books and seen the Swedish adaptations. Plague is likeable and a fairly comedic character. I just hope that Trinity and his buddy also appear in this adaptation.

Corey Bloom
12-13-2011, 12:54 AM

what track in the score was used during the rape scene?

acidpolly
12-13-2011, 01:07 AM
would be cool if he dressed like that in the movie http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/images/smilies/biggrin.png
omg. this is SO COOL :)

ok, time to quit reading this topic till russian premiere on January 5th (damn it!). this is getting dangerous :D

GoodSoldier333
12-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Love that nin wardrobe choice.

Jon
12-13-2011, 01:52 AM
What's this then, three hours of fiddling with xylophones? you know you've had 'The Heretics' stuck in your head since you first heard it, don't lie (and as already pointed out it's a marimba; xylophones are for pussies)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK1HSyLD3_c

Wretchedest
12-13-2011, 02:15 AM
it is 3 Hours of marimbas ha. actually my first description of this was "three hours of diddling xylophones over mysterious noises and desolate hums"

Some of it also seems to be a bit recycled (melodically speaking) from the Social Network. But I love it still.

punish7
12-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Just got back from the LA screening of the movie. It was really good and had a lot of atmosphere to it. Trent, Mariqueen, Rob, Alan and Jordie were all there watching it. Seeing it with the people that worked on it, made it a very unique experience. Very cool night.

witte
12-13-2011, 05:20 AM
^^great man great^^
that's why I slept so well till now...

dzaver
12-13-2011, 08:17 AM
It's a great stand-alone album. Perfect for winter walks. Snow. Fog. A train ride. Everything that Ghosts should be.

I love the beginning and the end. The middle somehow drags for me. Not all the songs. But some of them.

It's different from Social Network so I can't really compare it.

sheepdean
12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Just got back from the LA screening of the movie. It was really good and had a lot of atmosphere to it. Trent, Mariqueen, Rob, Alan and Jordie were all there watching it. Seeing it with the people that worked on it, made it a very unique experience. Very cool night.
=( Hate you. All we got were some Sony representatives who were very bad at organising/looking professional.

pushingreality
12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
SF Screening was great. They had a giveaway of the metal posters that we saw from one of the early videos on mouthtapedshut (extremely jealous of the person who won it 2 rows in front of me). Everyone got really cool posters (darkened profile shot of Lisbeth)...and the film, of course, was fantastic. I was a little disappointed that certain tracks that I liked on the album weren't included in the film, but what was used fit really, really well with the scenes in which they were featured.

sick among the pure
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Trent, Mariqueen, Rob, Alan and Jordie were all there watching it.

Alan and Jordie

Alan Moulder and Jordie White were here with Trent?

slave2thewage
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I never thought I'd say it, but I'm sick of Trent doing instrumentals now.

richardp
12-13-2011, 12:10 PM

No way. I love his score work so much, that I probably would be fine if he never made another NIN album. Dragon Tattoo soundtrack trumps The Social Networks' score in every way, and I loved that soundtrack. This is Trent's new calling, and I am completely on board.

witte
12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Well, I would say it in another way.
After 2 soundtracks he has to give this a very long break.
Concentrating on HTDA and NIN for the next years should be a priority.
Normally musicians with a past in a band who only do soundtracks are done and out....

Canuckle
12-13-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm with ya. While I'm not 'sick' per se, as I find the instrumental stuff very well done, I am looking forward to some potential vocals and more of a classic song structure.

I can only go for so many lonely walks in the snow....

punish7
12-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Alan Moulder and Jordie White were here with Trent?

Yes. They all showed up at the same time as a big group.

eversonpoe
12-13-2011, 01:29 PM

yes. i still don't get it.

sheepdean
12-13-2011, 01:38 PM
He's in the film, wearing that gear. It's a set photo, nothing more

acidpolly
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Normally musicians with a past in a band who only do soundtracks are done and out....
to be frank when I've heard that Fincher is thinking of doing other parts of Millenium thrilogy if TGWTDT is a success I shuddered.

Arkadin
12-13-2011, 03:17 PM
He doesn't have to do anything.

The worst thing that he could do at this point in his career is do something out of a feeling of obligation. If he is drained artistically in a certain area (as he was apparently with NIN a couple of years ago) he should just let it be. As long as he enjoys doing the scores, finds them creatively fulfilling, and is happy with the result, then why should he rush back to Nine Inch Nails?

I'm hopeful that a new NIN album is will arrive within the next couple of years, but I'd be fine with another soundtrack release. Especially if it involves one of my favorite directors' films.

NIN64
12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
He doesn't have to do anything.

The worst thing that he could do at this point in his career is do something out of a feeling of obligation. If he is drained artistically in a certain area (as he was apparently with NIN a couple of years ago) he should just let it be. As long as he enjoys doing the scores, finds them creatively fulfilling, and is happy with the result, then why should he rush back to Nine Inch Nails?

I'm hopeful that a new NIN album is will arrive within the next couple of years, but I'd be fine with another soundtrack release. Especially if it involves one of my favorite directors' films.

I agree with you 100%

teitan
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Some hard-to-please motherfuckers around here.

Zipfinator
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM

For serials...

spahn
12-13-2011, 06:09 PM

it's damn if you do and damn if you don't.

slave2thewage
12-13-2011, 06:24 PM
some hard-to-please motherfuckers around here.
hey gurl, hey.

witte
12-13-2011, 06:29 PM

Hey, don't get me wrong.
I love Trent's work and he's a very important musician in my life.
I hope he still will do soundtracks in the future, but I really hope it won't be his main task for the future. That's what I meant to say.
I'm really happy he formed HTDA (and creating a new sound in his career) and I really hope he will do still new NIN stuff in the future.
For me Trent is the modern composer just like all classic composers we had and just like Zappa who died too early.
Amen...

Dra508
12-13-2011, 07:26 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/12/13/143575149/5-great-cover-songs-from-2011?sc=fb&cc=fmp

Immigrant Song among top 5 cover songs from 2011.

gorast
12-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong.
I love Trent's work and he's a very important musician in my life.
I hope he still will do soundtracks in the future, but I really hope it won't be his main task for the future. That's what I meant to say.
I'm really happy he formed HTDA (and creating a new sound in his career) and I really hope he will do still new NIN stuff in the future.
For me Trent is the modern composer just like all classic composers we had and just like Zappa who died too early.
Amen...
Well just keep in mind that Trent stated he'd be writing next year with NIN specifically in mind. And he was clearly doubling up on projects this year, with GDT and HTDA. If Fincher pushes forward with re-interpreting the other two novels/films and wants Trent and Atticus on board for them, then I'm sure he can multitask and we'll see a new NIN album soon enough.

maryelle
12-13-2011, 08:37 PM

Oh hush. It's all said with loooovvvve.

-----------------------
To address what nine_inch_nerd said, I'm sure lots of us love the soundtracks and hope there are many more, but we also NIN too and want to have more of it too. We're not trying to be difficult by stating that.

Obviously TR should do what he wants to do. Whatever we say is just opinions and hopes.

Magtig
12-13-2011, 09:32 PM
After listening to this album just one time, I am no longer able to feel moments of quiet tension.

joplinpicasso
12-13-2011, 11:28 PM
"Parallel Timeline With Alternate Outcome" is one of the best songs TR's ever worked on, period. Props to them for crafting this one.

And "Infiltrator" has recently clicked with me, and it's great.

Swykk
12-13-2011, 11:47 PM

Preach on!

acidpolly
12-14-2011, 01:25 AM
oh I missed that :D
don't get me wrong - I'm all for soundtracks. but not only soundtracks. because I miss some certain vocals very much. that's all I meant.

jessamineny
12-14-2011, 08:53 AM
If anyone hasn't ordered the CD yet, it's down to $13.88 on Amazon (was $25-something when first posted)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006G2NVCA/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=theninhotline-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B006G2NVCA&adid=14P8D5JNEP4M3M3FXREE&

maryelle
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
oh I missed that :D
don't get me wrong - I'm all for soundtracks. but not only soundtracks. because I miss some certain vocals very much. that's all I meant.

I was thinking today: if TR had done these scores under the name NIN, people would not ask for more NIN but for more "old NIN."

He's right, we are hard to please. :D

marodi
12-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Welcome to ETS boss!

As for myself, I'm just happy to get something. I still remember when we had to wait YEARS before hearing something new.

On topic: I finally got a chance to listen to the full soundtrack and I like it. I can't wait to see how it will integrate in the movie. I especially love the HTDA cover; it's very well done.

I was thinking today: if TR had done these scores under the name NIN, people would not ask for more NIN but for more "old NIN."

Amen, sister!

screwdriver
12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm going to agree and ... agree. I freaking love this soundtrack, the more I listen to it even moreso. For me, this easily trumps everything TR's done since With Teeth, except possibly The Slip. I think its everything I ever hoped an instrumental TR soundtrack would be.

And yet... its time for some pop songs, brosef.

imail724
12-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Parallel Timeline With Alternate Outcome... Complication With Optimistic Outcome... :confused:... ARG!

joplinpicasso
12-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Ha ha, why didn't I see that connection :eek:

BRoswell
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I'd love to see Trent become the Danny Elfman of this generation. As much as I love Nine Inch Nails, I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind if he did film scores for the rest of his life.

True Fallacy
12-14-2011, 08:18 PM
And, mission accomplished. I made some iPhone ringtones for a few of my favs from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. :)

gorast
12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I like the video for Immigrant Song more and more each time I watch it.

Though this isn't really GDT related, there's no random NIN comments topic yet, so I might as well mention it here: did anyone else notice that nullco's Youtube account has apparently existed since May 2007, six months before Trent even left Interscope?

eversonpoe
12-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Though this isn't really GDT related, there's no random NIN comments topic yet, so I might as well mention it here: did anyone else notice that nullco's Youtube account has apparently existed since May 2007, six months before Trent even left Interscope?

here you go (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts)

gorast
12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
here you go (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts)
Why isn't that pinned? Goddamnit.

Uh, uh, on topic...What If We Could? is still my favorite non-cover song on the soundtrack. There.

richardp
12-15-2011, 12:22 AM
The Same As The Others through Parallel Timeline is my favorite sequence on the album. Beautifully haunting little section there.

AgentofChaos
12-15-2011, 05:24 AM
To be completely honest, I would absolutely be ok if TR pretty much did ONLY soundtrack work from here on out, with an occasional HTDA record here or there. I'm way down for more NIN obviously but this seems like a natural progression to me,

I think it's incredibly exciting to think about him branching out to work with directors other than Fincher. Tom Tykwer, Gregg Araki, Terry Gilliam, Rian Johnson, Duncan Jones, Aronofsky, J.J Abrams, Quentin Tarantino or even Christopher Nolan are all mindblowing possibilities that would challege TR to go reach new levels of sonic awesomeness. Nevermind thinking about possible colabs with other composers such as Zimmer or even former colleague Clint Mansell, similar to how Zimmer and Howard worked on the TDK soundtrack, etc.

As much as I loved their work on The Social Network score, I thought it was a part of the film that served to make it better and consequently loved the film much more than the score. Nothing against the TGWTD film, but I think long term I'll find I reserve much more respect for this score than its film in this case (there was so much great work not even featured in the film in this case).

So ultimately for me, imagining how TR and AR could grow working with someone else other than Fincher is extremely exciting. Nothing against Fincher though, in fact, if they do end up doing the whole trilogy, I would be super stoked to hear their score for Hornet's Nest, as the nature of that film would lend itself to the exact type of thing TR and Atticus are great at (if you've heard the score for the Swedish version of HN you will likely understand what I mean in terms of its heavy use of glitch and drone).

acidpolly
12-15-2011, 06:23 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/12/trent_reznor_headscratch_a_p.jpg
getting ready for another oscar? :)

TR interview in The Hollywood Reporter
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/girl-dragon-tattoo-trent-reznor-david-fincher-273062

upd: oh man, here's heroin mention again. you.. journalists.

HELL YEAH!
VVVVVVVV

jessamineny
12-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Just nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Original Score

Deepvoid
12-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Worth noting that the only other nomination is Rooney Mara for Best Actress.

witte
12-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Yeah, just saw it on the web. Great news...

NIN64
12-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Just screamed "FUCK YEAH" at work, and got some looks. . .

princessomega
12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Just screamed "FUCK YEAH" at work, and got some looks. . .
I came pretty close to this, and I work at a bank!
But I was practically floating on a cloud. I feel so proud of both of them. So deserved!

signofthenine
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Excellent news, indeed! It would so very very cool if he could snag back to back oscars, too.

GoodSoldier333
12-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Ludovic Bource - The Artist

Abel Korzeniowski - W.E.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Howard Shore - Hugo

John Williams - War Horse

So how's the competition looking? Anyone listen to any of these other scores?

onthewall2983
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
My guess is that T&A would win because the Globes are all about starfucking (no pun intended), and they still have the glow from winning the Oscar for ​TSN.

spookymuffin
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Over at Dots & Dashes, I reviewed the soundtrack as the resident NIN-obsessive. I'd love it if you guys could read my review and tell me what you think?

http://www.dotsanddashes.co.uk/2011/12/what-comes-forth-in-thaw-trent-reznor.html

peanoot3
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes! Them getting the award is a no-brainer. Though the other scores are great in their own fashion, Trent and Atticus bring something different to the plate each time. It doesn't consist of an orchestra playing bullshit showtunes. T+A's music defines an emotion whether it be dark and brooding, wondrous, or exciting. I give good luck to all the nominees, but I'm rooting for Trent and Atticus; not because I'm a fanboy or anything, but because the soundtrack is memorable and defines the vibe of the story.

NIN64
12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Good article. (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/12/15/trent-reznor-on-his-golden-globe-nod-for-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/?mod=WSJBlog)

butters
12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Awesome for the Globes nomination and more recognition! I don't expect back-to-back years of winning everything, but one can hope.

The Reason Being
12-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Just went out into the garden to smoke a cigarette as One Particular Moment came on my headphones, and it just started snowing. Just as the synth kicked in about halfway through it started snowing really hard. Cool moment.

demgoth
12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I haven't even finished listening to it all the way through (just finished tracks 1-13) and all I can say is wow.. love it. Standout tracks so far to me.. "A Thousand Details" and "Please Take Your Hand Away". Diving into the "2nd Act" now!

JessicaSarahS
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Abel Korzeniowski - W.E.

Howard Shore - Hugo

So how's the competition looking? Anyone listen to any of these other scores?

Hugo is the only one I've listened to and watched and it was really beautiful. I'm waiting to see TGWTDT before listening to the soundtrack.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

richardp
12-15-2011, 10:24 PM
The only one that could easily take the award is John Williams, simply because he's John Williams.

GoodSoldier333
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM

Abel Korzeniowski - W.E.

Howard Shore - Hugo

Hugo is the only one I've listened to and watched and it was really beautiful. I'm waiting to see TGWTDT before listening to the soundtrack.

I've not listened to the first two scores/know nothing about them. I have however watched and heard Howard Shore's score for Hugo. I thought it was a great score for a great film, but nothing awards-worthy. And then i took a run-through of what John Williams did for War Horse, and thought it was a rather well-built yet slightly boring/usual orchestrated score. I just hope there isn't any biased bullshit about not wanting to give somebody an award twice in a row. You never know.

I do feel like there's much more breathing space this time. Remember who they were going against last year (Danny Elfman/Hans Zimmer/Alexandre Desplat)? And you could have EASILY argued a win for either of the three nominees. Well...easily if not for Rossnor.

sheepdean
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
John Williams hasn't done an original score in 17 years, why does he still get nominated? smh

thevoid99
12-16-2011, 12:29 AM
And who is this Abel Korzeniowski? Why did he get nominated over someone like Alexandre Desplat or Cliff Martinez? Who did Madonna have to suck just to get this guy a nod and herself one over the Muppets? What an aging bitch!

sheepdean
12-16-2011, 12:40 AM
And who is this Abel Korzeniowski? Why did he get nominated over someone like Alexandre Desplat or Cliff Martinez? Who did Madonna have to suck just to get this guy a nod and herself one over the Muppets? What an aging bitch!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0466851/
His score is actually pretty good

danebraddy
12-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Awesome suit but all of those photos a a little... 'posey'? (is that a word?)

Awesome new on the GG nomination!

joplinpicasso
12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Yes, congrats on the nom!

I also just learned how to play "Parallel Timeline With Alternate Outcome" in honor of Christopher Hitchens.

signofthenine
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Awesome suit but all of those photos a a little... 'posey'? (is that a word?)

Awesome new on the GG nomination!

I'm sure if he had a choice between spending time with his family, working in the studio, or meeting with the press to pimp his work, the press would stay at the absolute bottom of the list. But he's doing his part to promote his work and the movie, and that may include the occasional goofy photo. It's part of the biz, unfortunately.

I guess what I'm saying is, he's probably about as excited with how that photo came out as you were. :)

dlb
12-16-2011, 10:19 AM
is anyone going to scan taht Hollywood Repoter article or is it an online magazine only? would be highly apprecaited I guess. ;)

Alexandros
12-16-2011, 10:26 AM
I finally got around to listening all 39 tracks. Good stuff overall to be sure. About three quarters of what I heard I would consider background music, meaning I don't think I'll be actively re-listening those tracks, except if I'm commuting, working etc. The rest range from very good to great and I look forward to seeing how some of them will be incorporated in the film. The track that so far stands out the most to me is Great Bird of Prey. It's all kinds of kickass! Hypomania is also one of my favourites.

Sidenote: Trent's voice in Is Your Love Strong Enough reminds me of Peter Gabriel for some reason.

signofthenine
12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
is anyone going to scan taht Hollywood Repoter article or is it an online magazine only? would be highly apprecaited I guess. ;)

When I looked the other day, they had an option of ordering back issues, but since the one with him on the cover is the most recent, it's not available yet (or wasn't as of a day or two ago).

I might order a copy if they don't sell out.

konstantin
12-16-2011, 12:07 PM
based on how many times the Immigrant Song video switched positions on the Pitchfork home page (including becoming a top story during the weekend, and then back and forth), i really wonder how much influence the studios have on them. this isn't just ads playing in ad space, it's deliberate promotion of the scale i haven't witnessed on that site.

onthewall2983
12-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Trailers are everywhere on YouTube.

princessomega
12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
I tried to contact the only book store left where I live the local Barnes and Noble re the Hollywood Reporter magazine. The lady on the phone was nice and went to check on it for me. They dont sell it there, but she kindly informed me they have many "hollywood" magazines with Twilight issues.
I laughed and told her I wasnt interested in Twilight, but that Trent was on the cover. She had a silent pause and then said. "Oh, Oh my..I'll have to be on the look out for that."
So if anyone does find where the magazine can be purchased besides ebay...let us know.

signofthenine
12-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Hopefully it will show up here (shortly) as the December 23rd issue.

https://store.thr.com/ProductsList.aspx?WG=404

piggy
12-16-2011, 06:09 PM
some interesting things in the liner notes:
-They also thank "David Byrnes" in there. I really hope that's a typo and they meant David Byrne
I know I'm really late with this, but no such luck. David Byrnes is one of Trent's lawyers.

mostlymad
12-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Fantastic news. Good to see the recognition of something innovative and original within the mainstream limelight. Can't wait to see the movie, then buy the score. I really want to be surprised by the score within the movie. Then I'll listen to the whole catalog that didn't make it in.

gorny540
12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
The soundtrack is so good, but I honestly don't know how to approach listening to it. I did one run that was for the most part straight through, but I just love to listen to albums straight through, its tough for me to break this one apart, really tremendous work though.

GoodSoldier333
12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Good stuff overall to be sure. About three quarters of what I heard I would consider background music, meaning I don't think I'll be actively re-listening those tracks

Pretty much my thoughts. Terrific score; more oriented to supporting picture, which is from where all the glowing, ambient, dark, extending sounds came from. It'll be exciting to finally watch the film to see the other half..that supporting framework that fits the music.

Corey Bloom
12-16-2011, 11:31 PM
the only real competition T&R have is the score for The Artist because it has won most of the critics awards so far and the film itself is expected to win best picture

Trains
12-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Likewise, I'm eager to see the film to see where everything slots into place. But on it's own the score is such a strong record, I haven't even made it to Disc 3 yet and I'm already completely absorbed by it. Very disturbing and aggressive in places, lots of tension, which I imagine will fit the film's vibe perfectly. I think the first 2-3 seconds of 'Please Take Your Hand Away' is the seediest, grimiest music I've ever heard. Fucking amazing stuff, the complete antitheses to Social Network. I prefer the more tuneful, melodic tracks, like 'I Can't Take It Anymore' which seems really quite different to Trent's previous output, and 'An Itch' (which is just fucking awesome.) 'Pinned and Mounted' sounds the most NIN-ish to me, which is probably why it's one of my favourites.

GoodSoldier333
12-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Loved that Charlie Rose interview with the cast. However, I've realized how eager i am to listen to just the scoring aspect of the film from Fincher. Perhaps if the person or organization interviewing Fincher was of musical background, like rolling stone magazine or something/someone. I had no clue that Fincher has been trying to get Trent to score for 10 yrs now.

NIN64
12-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Chicago Film Critics Association Nomination. (http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/news/16793/film-news-the-tree-of-life-leads-2011-chicago-film-critics-association-nominees)

NIN64
12-18-2011, 07:50 AM
...and another good interview. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/15/trent-reznor-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-golden-globes_n_1152300.html)

sick among the pure
12-18-2011, 08:47 AM
7 hour bus trip through rural PA and NY, perfect time for me to finally give this soundtrack a listen through.

witte
12-19-2011, 05:25 AM
From TR himself:

"Regarding that "for your consideration" sampler you've gotten your hands on. Those are made for various award groups that require having only original music composed specifically for and used in the film put on a disc. There's nothing in there you don't have longer and more listenable versions of with the official release. The titles refer to the cue lists that the editors, director and everyone else uses to refer to scenes."

So all those who are expecting something different from that, you're in for more of the same just shorter edits and less content.

I need to be cautious, especially to Trent, but I'm sure 'just shorter edits and less content' is a very modest answer. Some of these tracks are different mixed and have a different approach for sure.
And....they're absolutely the same tracks you'll hear in the movie.
E.g., I compared the track you can listen here around 29:15 (http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12037) with the FYC score and it's indeed the same track as on the FYC disk 2 named "Harriet's Flowers".

sheepdean
12-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Trent continually forgets: "shorter edits" still means DIFFERENT edits, and so rabid desire for all the music.
Maybe next time TRAR do a score, they'll put the sampler in with the deluxe package?

witte
12-19-2011, 06:28 AM
Well, Trent makes the music and Atticus does the mixing.
Maybe the first one didn't check the second one ;)

sheepdean
12-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Composed, performed, arranged, programmed and produced by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
:P

plusminus
12-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Didn't see this posted. I am sorry if it already has somewhere on ETS.

Trent did a audio interview with NPR Fresh Air.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/19/143834396/trent-reznor-the-fresh-air-interview

Alpha 60
12-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I’m a fan of Fresh Air, but this interview went where I thought it might. I was hoping it would stay on soundtrack topics, or what his future plans are. Only about 5 minutes were devoted to Dragon Tattoo. I know TR/NIN is probably not well known in the NPR universe, I understand she had to do a retrospective. But Terry was way too focused on what makes Trent “dark” or “angsty.” It is such a pedestrian question to ask someone what was going through their mind when they wrote a song. I would have been better to ask what his inspirations where at the time, or what NIN in general was trying to convey. I’ve been waiting like 15 years for Trent to be on Fresh Air, and it was pretty much a big disappointment.

sheepdean
12-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey, they played HLAH, that makes it an awesome interview

Jadezuki
12-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Oh, the Fresh Air interview! I was cringing most of the time and yelling at the computer - not due to ol' Rezmo, but the questions! It was blatantly obvious that he was there to talk about the scores, and not take a walk down memory lane, and I thought he got that across fairly gently... and then the next thing was "Ok, next we're going to go even further back in time, to the 80's." Good grief. Then I laughed at the not-so-gentle snarking later on. Can't say it wasn't deserved.

I hadn't really visited ETS or stayed on the up-and-up with much news from when the tour ended 'til maybe the Golden Globes. Proof that I'm a bad fangirl: references are made to TR being a father, and we look at each other and I say: "Really? When did that happen?"

Anyway, the bits of the interview that actually talked about the recent composition process were incredibly interesting. I'm assuming TR knows that if he ever wants to do a video or interview elsewhere going into depth on this subject, the audience is there.

jessamineny
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
the only real competition T&R have is the score for The Artist because it has won most of the critics awards so far and the film itself is expected to win best picture

Interesting promotion. "The Weinstein Company has announced plans to take The Artist on tour, but with a live orchestra, led by the film’s composer Ludovic Bource."
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/12/the-artist-planning-concert-tour-with-orchestra.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

sick among the pure
12-19-2011, 09:42 PM
There is an advanced screening tomorrow evening, but my boyfriend said he'll go with me (he won't be home until the 23rd) and since we've never been on a movie date I really want to go with him. So, I'll wait a few days.

ComaMJ33
12-20-2011, 12:17 AM
No Spoilers, just my general impression of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as a whole upon my first viewing:
All of my anticipation for the film came to fruition tonight when I was able to catch an advance (Barely, but best I could do in AZ) screening in Scottsdale, AZ. I was very impressed by the film in many ways. Of course the score was phenomenal, as we all have known since Dec. 9th, and the music really worked well within the film. Even having listened to the entire score many times before seeing the film, while highly recognizable, there was not a point in the film where I had more concentration on the music than the film as a whole. The film was visually stunning throughout and I was very caught up in the plot (I intended to read the novels before seeing the original adaptations upon their release in the U.S., but I put it off and once the Fincher/Reznor/Atticus collaboration was announced I made the decision to not read the novels or watch the original films. I opted instead to go into this film with as little knowledge as possible regarding the plot and I came away very happy with that decision. Now after seeing this again possibly Tuesday night and for sure on Wednesday I can go back and read the novels and watch the original adaptations of the trilogy.

Also, the theater had a stack of mini posters (at customer service, they didn't hand them out you had to ask), obviously not as cool or large as the ones from the mouth-taped-shut screenings last week, but nice to have as a keepsake none-the-less for us less fortunate cities that didn't get one of those screenings. So, possibly other theaters will have those upon the initial showings as well if anyone's interested.

NotoriousTIMP
12-20-2011, 02:53 PM
My friend just sent me this photo last night after building up the print for his theater. :) I cant wait to see it later on this week :D He said its 9 reels long which is 2-3 reels longer than most films (notice how they have fun when labeling the films? lol) He's also going to send me two copies of the trailer on 35mm film now that its hit theaters

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/3615464e.jpg

eversonpoe
12-20-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14527347683/1/tumblr_lwivisd0dJ1qa0uc2
Checking out a finished retail copy of the Dragon Tattoo CD package. Came out great!

just posted on Rob's tumblr

signofthenine
12-20-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14527347683/1/tumblr_lwivisd0dJ1qa0uc2
Checking out a finished retail copy of the Dragon Tattoo CD package. Came out great!

just posted on Rob's tumblr

Erection!!!!

eversonpoe
12-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Erection!!!!

when i reblogged it from him, i tagged it #boner

witte
12-20-2011, 04:27 PM
They are beautiful ;)

onthewall2983
12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Yahoo! Article (http://news.yahoo.com/reznors-novel-approach-dragon-tattoo-score-165718617.html)

kevinbeetle
12-20-2011, 09:35 PM
No Spoilers, just my general impression of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as a whole upon my first viewing:
All of my anticipation for the film came to fruition tonight when I was able to catch an advance (Barely, but best I could do in AZ) screening in Scottsdale, AZ. I was very impressed by the film in many ways. Of course the score was phenomenal, as we all have known since Dec. 9th, and the music really worked well within the film. Even having listened to the entire score many times before seeing the film, while highly recognizable, there was not a point in the film where I had more concentration on the music than the film as a whole. The film was visually stunning throughout and I was very caught up in the plot (I intended to read the novels before seeing the original adaptations upon their release in the U.S., but I put it off and once the Fincher/Reznor/Atticus collaboration was announced I made the decision to not read the novels or watch the original films. I opted instead to go into this film with as little knowledge as possible regarding the plot and I came away very happy with that decision. Now after seeing this again possibly Tuesday night and for sure on Wednesday I can go back and read the novels and watch the original adaptations of the trilogy.

Also, the theater had a stack of mini posters (at customer service, they didn't hand them out you had to ask), obviously not as cool or large as the ones from the mouth-taped-shut screenings last week, but nice to have as a keepsake none-the-less for us less fortunate cities that didn't get one of those screenings. So, possibly other theaters will have those upon the initial showings as well if anyone's interested.

just got back from the movie, and i too, went into it blind. my buddy has seen the original and read the book(s). he said it was true to both. i have the swedish film and will try to watch it this week to confirm. the score fit perfectly as you said. no posters at my theater.

jmtd
12-21-2011, 04:24 AM
I look forward to the movie and hearing the soundtrack in context. I have to admit, this one just hasn't worked for me, yet. I'll give it time (took me about 5 years to get TDS, depending on how you count), but TSN clicked more or less instantly, as has everything since TDS.

witte
12-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Did some homework.
Compared the FYC score with the original soundtrack.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/sexmachine23_photos/my nin collection/P1050270.jpg http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/sexmachine23_photos/my nin collection/P1050271.jpg
"FYC CD" versus "Official Soundtrack CD"

DISK 1
01 I can't take it anymore = 11
02 Salander Goes Home = 02
03 Morrel's Report = 03
04 Heartbreak = 06
05 Salander/Cecilia/Harald = 08
06Värmland = 18
07 Maps = 24
08 Bjurman BJ = 07
09 Salander Returns To The House = 10
10 Archives = 04
11 Coffee Cup = 24
12 Martin's Story = 18
13 Martin traps Blomkvist = 19
14 Car chase = 33
15 Harriet Theme 4 = 30
16 Salander's Trip = 34
17 North Pole = 22
18 Media Event of the Year = ?
19 Harriet's Story = 18
20 Bank Sequence = 20
21 Harriet Theme 1 = 23
22 Salander Tattoos Bjurman = 38

DISK 2
01 Millennia = 30
02 She's one of the best, She's different = 31
03 Parade Photos = 20
04 Bible Verses = 19
05 Plague, Trinity & Wasp = 36
06 Salander arrives at Bjurman's = 14
07 Salander reports to Blomkvist = 19
08 Salander at Wennerström's Apartment = 03
09 Blomkvist Shot = 33
10 Love making = 06
11 Harriet's Flowers = 12
12 Harriet/The accident = 08
13 Salander at Söder Hospital = 18
14 Meeting Bjurman = 31
15 Salander Raped = 07
16 Salander Tasers Bjurman = 20
17 Martin Interviews Blomkvist = 33
18 Blomkvist meets Martin = ?
19 Blomkvist travels to Hedestadt = 02
20 Widow Brännlund's Photos = 08
21 Dead Cat = 38

Didn't locate the "?". Still listening/researching.

The tracks on the FYC score refer to the tracks on the official soundtrack. They are not the same. They have another approach, different mix, and they are edited.
I 'm almost sure the FYC tracks are the same which are used in the movie. It's almost 90 minutes of music.
For me it's an album on its own.

Vertigo
12-21-2011, 06:09 AM
No Oraculum throughout the entire film? Wow.
Thanks very much for all the work, by the way. Looks like I'll have to hop on ebay when more samplers are in circulation...

Corey Bloom
12-21-2011, 01:46 PM
the original cut was over 3 hours long so im sure there will be a directors cut or extended version with some of the other music in it on DVD.

ltrandazzo
12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Make sure you're posting your impressions of the film over here so it doesn't turn into a big convoluted mess here - http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/12-The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tattoo

jhulud
12-22-2011, 09:41 AM
After seeing the movie yesterday, it's apparent how ridiculously prolific TR+AR are in the actual 3xCD soundtrack...so much more music they made for the film that didn't even end up in it. But as already mentioned, hopefully there's more in the original cut...and hopefully we will see that when it gets a DVD release.

But yeah, the music enhanced the visuals of the film.

richardp
12-22-2011, 04:23 PM
hopefully there's more in the original cut...and hopefully we will see that when it gets a DVD release.

I doubt that will happen. Fincher doesn't really do "director's cuts" of his films. What you see in theaters is usually his final cut. Even in the case of the "director's cut" of Zodiak, it was only probably about 4 minutes longer.

Vertigo
12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Alien 3's "special edition" was a vast improvement on the film in my opinion, and added reams of new footage, but I don't think that was assembled by/with Fincher.

richardp
12-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Alien 3's "special edition" was a vast improvement on the film in my opinion, and added reams of new footage, but I don't think that was assembled by/with Fincher.

It was the work print version of the film so I guess technically Fincher was involved with putting that cut together and, indeed, it was vastly better than the theatrical cut, but Fincher wanted nothing to do with that movie after Fox screwed him over, so therefor did not lend his blessing or help for the remastering of the Work Print edition. I believe even to this day he insists that Alien 3 stays off of his resume.

sheepdean
12-22-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14642450846/1/tumblr_lwms83pSEm1qbn738
Oh hell yes

Vertigo
12-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Why is it that whenever I see Topspin mentioned, I think of Meatspin? Scarred for life.

Is yours shipping via international post, by the way?

sheepdean
12-22-2011, 08:13 PM
It's "USPS First-Class Mail International". My experience with USPS is a package sent 1st Class from west coast takes between a week to a fortnight - considering time of year, I'd guess fortnight, but I hope a week!

marodi
12-22-2011, 08:27 PM
It's official: the score is eligible for the Oscar (http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/oscars-97-original-scores-in-2011-race)

It just has to beat the 96 other scores that are also eligible.

thevoid99
12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I just hope Jonny Greenwood gets a nod so it would be another NIN/Radiohead battle.

BenAkenobi
12-23-2011, 12:00 AM
who sheepdean has bribed to get his copy this soon?!

sheepdean
12-23-2011, 12:10 AM
The emails started coming through yesterday. I'm not complaining!

richardp
12-23-2011, 01:23 AM
I just hope Jonny Greenwood gets a nod so it would be another NIN/Radiohead battle.

Wow, I had no idea Jonny Greenwood did the score for that film. I've been slightly interested in seeing it, due to the few praises I've heard for it, but now I MUST see it. It's also weird to think that Jonsi is eligible for a nomination as well.

seasonsinthesky
12-23-2011, 02:01 PM
who sheepdean has bribed to get his copy this soon?!
he didn't get it xD i got the same email the same day, and we've got quite the large pond between us. A RACE AGAINST TIME

xfocalinx
12-23-2011, 05:15 PM
SO stoked for this to arrive at my door step. I'm more excited for this than chrimbus

oldschool
12-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Amazingly, mine showed up in the mail today. Nice packaging job by Rob, Trent and Co.

http://instagr.am/p/bEDX0/

sheepdean
12-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Is there any difference between the booklet credits and PDF credits?

oldschool
12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Is there any difference between the booklet credits and PDF credits?

The layout is a little different and after a quick look it appears there is one additional credit on the liner notes page to account for an additional photo.

Alexandros
12-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Wow, Parallel Timeline is a very haunting track! One of the best from Trent's & Atticus' work I would say.

xfocalinx
12-24-2011, 09:45 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/406639_10151068729025346_880170345_21621936_160207 2830_n.jpg

gorast
12-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Fuck me. Mine's probably going to sit at the post office for two weeks until I can get back to my university. I didn't expect them to mail out five fucking days before it's supposed to be released.

eversonpoe
12-24-2011, 11:09 AM
do you think if i ordered the deluxe and CD versions in the same order, they're not going to ship me the CD until february?

NIN64
12-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Just got mine too. It is so ridiculously cold outside here that when I opened the package in my house the case was fogged over.

ItsJustDave
12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
do you think if i ordered the deluxe and CD versions in the same order, they're not going to ship me the CD until february?

That's likely. Combined order equals combined shipping. However, if they're using different distribution channels for the deluxe and CD versions you might luck out.

eversonpoe
12-24-2011, 12:32 PM
That's likely. Combined order equals combined shipping. However, if they're using different distribution channels for the deluxe and CD versions you might luck out.

fffffffffuck.

Deadpool
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Now that I've seen the movie, and about caught up on other 2011 music I missed, I think finally I'm ready to dive into this monster of a score. I listened to the 6-track sampler, and checked comesforthinthethaw every now and then, but at best, that's a third of the total music? My CD shipped (woo!), and miraculously I'm getting the deluxe edition for the holidays... well, "getting" might not be the best word. It's on its way :)

richardp
12-24-2011, 01:50 PM

That's what they did for The Social Network last year. Those of us who bought the cd and or blu-ray with the vinyl had to wait until November, if I remember correctly, to get everything.

eversonpoe
12-24-2011, 02:31 PM
That's what they did for The Social Network last year. Those of us who bought the cd and or blu-ray with the vinyl had to wait until November, if I remember correctly, to get everything.

you're right...i remember that happening to me, too.

now i have to decide if i want to buy another copy on CD and give the one i'll be getting in february to someone as a gift...

Amphiseum
12-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Got an early christmas present in the mail today... :D http://imgur.com/a/hpbkq

GeoffT
12-24-2011, 03:58 PM
My copy of the soundtrack arrived today too. Listening now.

richardp
12-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Got an early christmas present in the mail today... :D http://imgur.com/a/hpbkq

Awesome, I'm digging the Pretty Hate Machine-esque paneled booklet. I ordered mine off of Amazon, since it'd be cheaper without shipping with my Prime account, so I'll be getting it tuesday.

Volk
12-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Got my CD set today too...nice to get something early for a change.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-25-2011, 02:43 AM
Me too! Perfect music for falling asleep before Christmas morning. (Well...granted I don't spend the whole night thinking of the scenes in the movie attributed to the music. :P )

Lisbeth
12-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I got my CD digipak on Christmas eve as well. :D

R-Dot-Yung
12-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Anyone know who's doing the backup vox behind mariqueen on "Is Your Love Strong Enough"

Lisbeth
12-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Anyone know who's doing the backup vox behind mariqueen on "Is Your Love Strong Enough"

Is this a serious question?

gorast
12-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Phil Collins

signofthenine
12-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Phil Collins

I thought it was Tom Jones?

Volk
12-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I thought it was Tom Jones?

I thought it was Justin Bieber.

Leviathant
12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Did any of you think you were being funny? :b

gorast
12-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Did any of you think you were being funny? :b
Did R-Dot-Yung think they were being funny?

R-Dot-Yung
12-26-2011, 11:36 PM
I guess the obvious answer is Trent. I'm asking because my friend refuses to believe that is the case (because he thinks it doesn't sound like him) and I couldn't find the credits to back it up. So the answer is Trent yes?

Warped_Savant
12-27-2011, 01:13 AM
R Dot Yung -- The only other (real) option would be Atticus Ross. (It's not Atticus.)
There's three people in HTDA, the song doesn't list it as featuring anyone else, therefore, yes, it is Trent Reznor.

BenAkenobi
12-27-2011, 02:14 AM
this reminds me of "The great collapse" vocal question - assumedly Trent pitch-shifted his voice to sound feminine :D :D :D
hell, he could have done the same with his wife's voice to sound like him ;)

acidpolly
12-27-2011, 04:53 AM
just realized they are going to show only dubbed version in Russia.
FML. :mad:

fillow
12-27-2011, 05:40 AM
As if you never went to the movies in Russia...?

acidpolly
12-27-2011, 06:15 AM
As if you never went to the movies in Russia...?
I (almost) never watch dubbed movies.
we have a couple of cinemas that show original versions with subs. but this is not the case with TGWTDT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEUat7NED0
check it out. Salander's dubbed voice is impossible to stand

fillow
12-27-2011, 08:30 AM
I understand what you mean, and I almost never watch dubbed movies myself at home (Though sometimes I do, it depends on the amount and the importance of the dialogue, and some other circumstances like whether I watch it alone or with someone). Theaters is the whole different case. You may have a couple of cinemas that show original versions with subs, I have none. This is obviously not preventing me from re-watching movies at home with whatever dub I want.

Lisbeth
12-27-2011, 09:31 AM
R Dot Yung -- The only other (real) option would be Atticus Ross. (It's not Atticus.)
There's three people in HTDA, the song doesn't list it as featuring anyone else, therefore, yes, it is Trent Reznor.

Logic in process...it's a beautiful thing.

cashpiles (closed)
12-27-2011, 03:23 PM
RollingStone gives Trent and Atticus' soundtrack 3 out of 5 stars.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-original-soundtrack-20111227

The reviewer thought the Immigrant Song cover was "boss", so that's cool and I'd agree.

signofthenine
12-27-2011, 06:42 PM
My set showed up today, and I did the cheapie shipping. So if you're in the US, you should (hopefully) have yours any day now.

|mando|
12-27-2011, 11:07 PM
My set showed up today, and I did the cheapie shipping. So if you're in the US, you should (hopefully) have yours any day now.

Same! :)
because too short to post

kdrcraig
12-28-2011, 08:03 AM
My copy of the CD was waiting for me when I got back on Monday. Have only gotten through the first disc so far, didn't really like it all that much, hopefully I'll be more into discs 2 and 3.

witte
12-28-2011, 08:58 AM
I just received again a confirmation from Sandbag Shop (UK) for the order. Sent to me, but again meant for a guy in Slovenia (I can read all his private information).
FAIL
;)

hologram parade
12-28-2011, 12:06 PM
cd arrived yesterday and i am really trying to take it slow and listen to 1 disc at a time for awhile until it becomes familiar, there is just so much new material to delve into. those bubble mailer things from topsin dont really protect a digi pack from being crushed and getting big creases as a result, how have the other distr been?

redshoewearer
12-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Mine showed up safely with the same mailer as yours^^
I'm going to keep it in the car and play it there - it is kind of like delving into War and Peace or something - I want to take my time and enjoy the story so to speak.
The Immigrant Song sounds really good when you ARE going out at night into ice and snow as I was today - definitely a winter song

sheepdean
12-29-2011, 01:12 AM
For anyone interested, the score is now on Spotify

dominik
12-29-2011, 05:24 AM
is the version they sell on amazon (cd package, not mp3) the same they sell on nullco?

sheepdean
12-29-2011, 05:51 AM
I would imagine so, doesn't make sense two print two digipaks

edit: Mine just came from Null, so Eu orders should be coming in today and tomorrow, if not already there

dtuck90
12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
excellent, i haven't had any sort of email from topspin saying that its been shipped but hopefully it has

simonn
12-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Odd - I'm from the UK too, and mine's not even shipped according to my live receipt!

sheepdean
12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
TR/AR love me apparently

jwhite221
12-30-2011, 05:26 PM
I posted this over at NIN.com but might get a better response here. I haven't seen any interviewer ask this question yet but has anyone wondered if/when the sequels are made if Trent and Atticus would be involved in making even more music? I know they made a TON for this film and could most likely recycle most of the music from Dragon Tattoo into the last two movies but for some reason Fincher, Trent, and Atticus don't seem to be the kind to just recycle material.

signofthenine
12-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I posted this over at NIN.com but might get a better response here. I haven't seen any interviewer ask this question yet but has anyone wondered if/when the sequels are made if Trent and Atticus would be involved in making even more music? I know they made a TON for this film and could most likely recycle most of the music from Dragon Tattoo into the last two movies but for some reason Fincher, Trent, and Atticus don't seem to be the kind to just recycle material.

I worry the movie isn't going to recoup its cost, and the sequels won't be made. It didn't exactly do gangbusters here in the states last weekend, and overseas it looks worse.

Reaaaaaaaly hope I'm wrong.

bobbie solo
12-31-2011, 02:20 AM
hopefully i will be slow burn type of movie, picking up steam as we get away from the holidays. i know that i havent had any time to see it before this coming week.

[73]
01-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Here are a few things I noticed about the digipack: The Null catalog number is written at the top of the spine instead of the bottom. The printed copyright info on the three CDs is barely legible. The inside pocket has a scene printed on it.

oldschool
01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
;12259']Here are a few things I noticed about the digipack: The Null catalog number is written at the top of the spine instead of the bottom. The printed copyright info on the three CDs is barely legible. The inside pocket has a scene printed on it.

Rob said he purposely made the copyright stuff as small as possible.

https://twitter.com/#!/rob_sheridan/status/151863425750925312

[73]
01-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, oldschool. It's a nice package for a very reasonable $14. I'm wondering if I should have purchased the deluxe edition without seeing pictures of the final product. I thought it would sell out within two weeks.

witte
01-02-2012, 05:21 AM
We're almost a month further and I've listened to this soundtrack more than 10 times, and I must say (I said it more often): the more you listen the more you discover; I'm proud and lucky to be part of this; to follow an artist like him this way; how he develops himself over the years; how he creates incredible (new) art in the form of music; he is varied, he stands for quality, he's thé (and my) modern composer of my generation.
I'm looking forward to his new project/album HTDA. I'm enjoying!

M-71
01-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I have listened to this release a couple of times now and both times I was struggling to finish a disc. I'm not going to give up on it just yet, but I remember being more impressed with Ghosts and TSN soundtrack on their initial listens. Right now though, i'm thinking that TGWTDT is two discs too long.
Early days though.

burninglard
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Finally bought the album yesterday at a nice independent record store. I am digging what I have heard. 2 more discs to go. I think as a score in it self it is better than TSN.

dtuck90
01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
just got an email saying mine has been dispatched (i'm in UK). Hopefully it will come before I go back to uni on Saturday

Maurish
01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
just got an email saying mine has been dispatched (i'm in UK). Hopefully it will come before I go back to uni on Saturday
Mine is now shipped as well. It seems that they got another shipment which hopefully covers all of the orders.

acidpolly
01-03-2012, 05:06 PM
the movie is amazing. I smell another Oscar for our guys.

sheepdean
01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.cine-vue.com/2012/01/week-in-film-girl-who-played-with-fire.html

TGWPWF confirmed, so TRAR might be back at work soon.

acidpolly
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
hah. good news overall but maybe they can use leftovers from soundtracks of TGWTDT? and we can get a new NIN album? please?

signofthenine
01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
hah. good news overall but maybe they can use leftovers from soundtracks of TGWTDT? and we can get a new NIN album? please?

While I'm enjoying the DT score, I'd love to see something in the vein of Still (IE less clang-clang, and slightly more melodic).

But let's be honest - if you're reading this board, no matter what it is, we'll be buying it. :)

dtuck90
01-05-2012, 05:14 AM
mine has just arrived in the UK. Nice little package

M-71
01-05-2012, 08:02 AM
I just took my copy back and got a refund, my local record shop is good that way. It was a nice package and all, but not for me. Ripped it to my computer and next time I do the hoovering i'll stick it on.

sheepdean
01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I just took my copy back and got a refund, my local record shop is good that way. It was a nice package and all, but not for me. Ripped it to my computer and next time I do the hoovering i'll stick it on.
Okay, that's fucking annoying. You bought it, decided you didn't like it so you kept it anyway and got the refund?

M-71
01-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Okay, that's fucking annoying. You bought it, decided you didn't like it so you kept it anyway and got the refund?

Annoying?
No I did not keep it, I had to take it back to get a refund, that's how these things work. I kept a digital copy on my pc though.

witte
01-05-2012, 08:16 AM
this kills the music business. FAIL.
i'm too old to understand this new generation.

sheepdean
01-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Annoying?
No I did not keep it, I had to take it back to get a refund, that's how these things work. I kept a digital copy on my pc though.
Exactly, you kept it. You bought it, ripped the tracks and got a refund, getting the whole album for free. This is the exact kind of thing that proves that music piracy is still full of wankers, and there is no gain to the artist if they're already well known.

M-71
01-05-2012, 08:31 AM
And now the news.
Today somewhere in lalaland the music business was killed due to someone in the UK returning a 3cd set by soundtrack pranksters Trent Reznor & the other one. It was about 100 years old.
A full investigation will follow.

M-71
01-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Exactly, you kept it. You bought it, ripped the tracks and got a refund, getting the whole album for free. This is the exact kind of thing that proves that music piracy is still full of wankers, and there is no gain to the artist if they're already well known.

Then i'm off for a well deserved wank.

AgentofChaos
01-05-2012, 08:50 AM
M71 I don't think you're an idiot for not 'paying' for the album. I've stolen plenty online. Most of us have. I wouldn't steal this particular record but that's just me, so I'm sure other people on other bands boards would rip me a new one. Granted I wouldn't waste my time to post on a board if I wasn't into an artist enough to buy their music, but that's another argument altogether.

Here is why you're a fucking idiot; You went out to the store, bought an item, wasted your time to open it, rip it, then waste more time and money to go back to the store, stand in line, get a refund, explain yourself, etc all when you could have made 2-3 clicks and saved yourself the trouble on pirate bay. How in the world you thought you were going to open it up and be so amazed by the contents inside, outside of what you already knew or has been made available to you, is beyond me. Seems like you have some mental health issues to come here and post that you were stupid enough to do this, or at the least a LOT of free time and absolutely nothing constructive to do with it. I truly feel sorry for you sir. Enjoy your masturbation.

BenAkenobi
01-05-2012, 11:35 AM
heh, if i didn't want to keep these CDs, i would've offered them on forums (for original price). perhaps buying CDs second-hand doesn't help the industry so much, but i would feel better going to post-office instead of going back to the shop.

M-71
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Here is why you're a fucking idiot; You went out to the store, bought an item, wasted your time to open it, rip it, then waste more time and money to go back to the store, stand in line, get a refund, explain yourself, etc all when you could have made 2-3 clicks and saved yourself the trouble on pirate bay. How in the world you thought you were going to open it up and be so amazed by the contents inside, outside of what you already knew or has been made available to you, is beyond me. Seems like you have some mental health issues to come here and post that you were stupid enough to do this, or at the least a LOT of free time and absolutely nothing constructive to do with it. I truly feel sorry for you sir. Enjoy your masturbation.

Let me reply to your baseless assumptions the best I can.
1) I did not go out to the store and buy any item, it was a gift from a family member.
2) I wasted my time opening it and ripping it? Do you know how long it takes to open up a cd package and insert a disc in a computer and click "rip now?" I'll tell you, not very long at all, hardly a waste of time.
3) I did not waste any time and money going back to the store, I live less than a mile from their front door, there was no queue, and the explanation and refund took less than 5 mins, again, not exactly a waste of time.
4) I did not bother to download the free preview on nin.com so my expectations outside of hearing the Immigrant song track were zero. Like I said, this thing was a gift.
5) Yes I do have mental health issues, at times quite severe, I have had so for several years, and yes I did have a LOT of free time that day as I am currently on a two week break from my job.
6) I do not need you to feel sorry for me.
7) I did enjoy my masturbation, very much so.

And finally, there is and was no need whatsoever to call me a fucking idiot.

Good day.

witte
01-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Hey Mr Johnny Rotten and others, please can we stop this shit and discuss matters where this topic was meant for? :)

BenAkenobi
01-05-2012, 12:54 PM
meanwhile some wankers at nin.com continue their game, now with the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack
http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?9,1333477,1334025#msg-1334025
anyone is free to join at any stage ;)

Jon
01-06-2012, 01:56 AM
2) I wasted my time opening it and ripping it? Do you know how long it takes to open up a cd package and insert a disc in a computer and click "rip now?" I'll tell you, not very long at all, hardly a waste of time.
3) I did not waste any time and money going back to the store, I live less than a mile from their front door, there was no queue, and the explanation and refund took less than 5 mins, again, not exactly a waste of time.

2.) If you rip a CD accurately it takes quite a while, as a matter of fact; unless you think you can get an accurate rip at 32x or even 8x? The faster the disc spins the more jitter blahblahblah, I don't even know why I'm on this tangent

3.) 5 minutes may not seem like a "waste of time" in the grand scheme of things, but YOU STILL WASTED 5 MINUTES!

Q.) People that do this kind of shit are worse than people that wear clothes for a night and take them back (ladies! heh)

ZZAQ.) I'm sure you're not an idiot by definition, but you did something pretty idiotic

MAD
01-06-2012, 04:25 AM
http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/12/12624/12927121.jpg

butter_hole
01-06-2012, 05:11 AM
hey who gives a fuck? not me! let's all move on! yeahhh

sheepdean
01-06-2012, 08:36 AM
So, change of topic: new interview thingy http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/15397921509/themessengerhasamessage-soundworks-collection

witte
01-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Your awesome, thanks.

ThinkIcouldburn
01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Got a fantastic e-mail letting me know my cd will be shipping on January 16th. I pre-ordered this album. I'm beginning to fucking hate topspin.

sheepdean
01-06-2012, 03:04 PM
As I've said on nin.com:
Topspin are a GREAT company, really brilliant, for small artists. It seems to me that TRAR have made the assumption that just because they're unsigned, they're small, and chose a company that simply cannot handle the demand that NIN fans have. A+R, Popmarket and similar could do this, although they tend to solely do deluxe packages, but really they need to create their own distribution network due to their size, or find a company internationally that can lighten the load who aren't incompetent buffoons like Mute.

ThinkIcouldburn
01-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I understand. Though I've had issues with Topspin before even with much smaller bands. It's left me with little to no faith in the company. I was told they were waiting for a shipment about a week ago. I assumed I'd be seeing it ship any day now, not in another week and a half.

eversonpoe
01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I understand. Though I've had issues with Topspin before even with much smaller bands. It's left me with little to no faith in the company. I was told they were waiting for a shipment about a week ago. I assumed I'd be seeing it ship any day now, not in another week and a half.

i got the same e-mail, but i assumed that it was because i had ordered the CD at the same time as the DE Vinyl Box Set. so i was happy to see it was shipping the 16th, as opposed to whenever in February the vinyl is supposed to ship.

acidpolly
01-07-2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/arts/music/new-cds-albatrosh-trio-m-charlie-haden-and-hank-jones.html
New York Times very flattering review

witte
01-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Cyberpunks... I like that

Maurish
01-07-2012, 10:14 AM
After seeing the movie, I feel the soundtrack has more depth to it and I really like it. They seem to enhance each other - the soundtrack added a lot to the movie and vice-versa. It's amazing!

ManBurning
01-08-2012, 01:53 PM
After seeing the movie, I feel the soundtrack has more depth to it and I really like it. They seem to enhance each other - the soundtrack added a lot to the movie and vice-versa. It's amazing!

Yeah, I saw the movie last night, and the score really works amazing with the movie. I couldn't listen to the score on it's own before I saw the movie, I tried so hard to sit down and listen to it a few times, But I just couldn't get into it for some reason, but after seeing the movie, I think you need the visuals to go along with the music, it was absolutly phenomonal seeing the audio and visual go together. I still can't listen to the score by itself, I tried again last night after watching the movie, assuming I would like it more after seeing the movie, but I can't get through the whole thing. I can listen to like 10 tracks and then I just have to put something else on... Maybe it's just too long, 3 hours is alot of "soundtrack" music for someone to get through. But, it works amazing with the film, and that's really the best compliment a score can get!

MAD
01-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Goes out of sync after a while, but it's the pinnacle of kitten videos. Mute the one on the left:
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DApxnAr6pRt0&start1=0&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D fkP3urtYCkc&start2=29&authorName=MAD (http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DApxnAr6pRt0&start1=0&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D fkP3urtYCkc&start2=29&authorName=MAD)

signofthenine
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Video, where TR talks a bit...
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/01/sound-mix-dragon-tattoo/

acidpolly
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/sony-officially-planning-to-make-dragon-tattoo-sequels-but-david-fincher-is-looking-to-direct-20-000-leagues-instead
Fincher might not be available for the next part