Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So I just got my copy of Backwards - nowhere in the credits does it mention Nothing Studios. It says mixed at Magazine Studios, New Orleans.

:/

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    So I just got my copy of Backwards - nowhere in the credits does it mention Nothing Studios. It says mixed at Magazine Studios, New Orleans.
    I think at the time it was referred to as Hot Snakes. Oh well.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I think at the time it was referred to as Hot Snakes. Oh well.
    I thought Hot Snakes (LLC) was the owner of the building?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    What do you mean by "debacle"?
    I'm referring to his chagrin about the lack of credit (artistically and royalty-wise) he got for Closer (Precursor) which iirc he was largely responsible for and did very well as part of appearing in the credits to Seven.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I'm referring to his chagrin about the lack of credit (artistically and royalty-wise) he got for Closer (Precursor) which iirc he was largely responsible for and did very well as part of appearing in the credits to Seven.
    none of the members of coil received credit for the remix within the context of Se7en, unfortunately, it wasn't just Danny.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    And it wasn't even credited as a remix in some versions of the movie. From IMDb:

In the Platinum Series DVD released by New Line on 12/19/2000 [snip] The song used for the opening credit sequence is a remix of a remix of "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. It was credited as "Closer (Precursor) (Remix)" by Nine Inch Nails on the Criterion laserdisc, but the new DVD simply credits the song as Closer by Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I wonder if they just didn't care. It seems like concerns like that were always beneath them...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It sounds like the Backwards vinyl has been delayed - unless you've got yours? Cold spring site still says "23rd October" but my local shop suggests 6th November.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    It sounds like the Backwards vinyl has been delayed - unless you've got yours? Cold spring site still says "23rd October" but my local shop suggests 6th November.
    other bad news: the Threshold Archives page on Forced Exposure is just...gone.

interesting news (maybe a bootleg?) : this Melancholy Mad Tenant reissue is listed as being released early december in russia.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    These reissues are starting to look less and less attractive.

They're just in card sleeves like a CD single and don't even have tracklists.

Not to mention that they've mysteriously disappeared off retail websites or have "sold out"....

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    These reissues are starting to look less and less attractive.

They're just in card sleeves like a CD single and don't even have tracklists.

Not to mention that they've mysteriously disappeared off retail websites or have "sold out"....
    Someone posted a clip from The Angelic Conversation on Soundcloud, because the right channel clips.

What kind of irks me about them a little bit is that Jon Whitney was among the folks who made a big fat stink about Recoiled. Talking shit about how Coil would never put unreleased works-in-progress out, and complaining about the artwork associated with the release. Now, I know that the splatter vinyl looked better than it played, but the way Cold Spring handled the release was otherwise pretty nice. (I haven't gotten my copy of Backwards yet, I pre-ordered the vinyl through Danny Hyde).

I've also done short runs of CDs of music my wife's composed, and if I say so myself, the digipak of Tesla's Pigeon is really sharp.

So, maybe there's a little bit of schadenfreude in seeing this blowhard screw up. But it's a shame that, after all this fucking time, he rushes out these releases in a manner that is both inexpensive and cheap.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    the digipak of Tesla's Pigeon is really sharp.
    This much is true!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Someone posted a clip from The Angelic Conversation on Soundcloud, because the right channel clips.

What kind of irks me about them a little bit is that Jon Whitney was among the folks who made a big fat stink about Recoiled. Talking shit about how Coil would never put unreleased works-in-progress out, and complaining about the artwork associated with the release. Now, I know that the splatter vinyl looked better than it played, but the way Cold Spring handled the release was otherwise pretty nice. (I haven't gotten my copy of Backwards yet, I pre-ordered the vinyl through Danny Hyde).
    I don't have a physical copy of Recoiled, but I think they look great. I love seeing MAD's artwork in actual shops. (It was MAD, right?) Also I'm sure I suggested one of either Uncoiled or Recoiled for the name of the community thing (no doubt not in isolation) so I have a smug sense of satisfaction on that front, too (although I can't find the relevant post, I think it was moved or deleted around when the Recoiled project was becoming a reality)

I've also done short runs of CDs of music my wife's composed, and if I say so myself, the digipak of Tesla's Pigeon is really sharp.
    They do look great!

So, maybe there's a little bit of schadenfreude in seeing this blowhard screw up. But it's a shame that, after all this fucking time, he rushes out these releases in a manner that is both inexpensive and cheap.
    I'm wondering what will happen if/when he gets to the actual LPs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    ... And the Whitney reissues have been deleted.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I remember joining the Coil FB group and being like "I'm one of the guys who discovered Uncoiled/Recoiled, ask me anything!" and one person (I think it was JW) told me "you lookin' for handjobs or something?"

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ... And the Whitney reissues have been deleted.
    i guess you didn't see my post from two days ago...

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the Threshold Archives page on Forced Exposure is just...gone.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    i guess you didn't see my post from two days ago...
    Yeah sorry I saw it but didn't put two and two together. I've seen reports elsewhere of unfulfilled orders being cancelled by retailers.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Yeah sorry I saw it but didn't put two and two together. I've seen reports elsewhere of unfulfilled orders being cancelled by retailers.
    it's fine, i was just giving you a hard time.

so is there any news anywhere as to why this has happened? seems pretty ridiculous to start this big to-do with reissuing the entire back catalog just to take everything down a few days later.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Anyone handling the Coil legacy is apparently doomed to fail unless they are Danny Hyde (and i guess some folks take issue with him, too).

The legacy is quickly becoming a farce.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just received a copy of all 8 EP reissues. Still waiting on Backwards to show up, but here's some first impressions:

The CDs come in a mini LP style sleeves with no text, tracklist or even credits. Just a barcode over the shrinkwrap. Curious, but they should have at least included an insert, since there are several tracks that are previously unreleased.

The sleeve and disc art look great.

The mastering is excellent. Everything sounds seemless and is pretty impressive given that most of these tracks are around 30 years old.

The demos and unreleased songs are mostly instrumental and sound more like quick sketches on loop rather than complete songs, but still cool nonetheless.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I just received a copy of all 8 EP reissues. Still waiting on Backwards to show up, but here's some first impressions:

The CDs come in a mini LP style sleeves with no text, tracklist or even credits. Just a barcode over the shrinkwrap. Curious, but they should have at least included an insert, since there are several tracks that are previously unreleased.

The sleeve and disc art look great.

The mastering is excellent. Everything sounds seemless and is pretty impressive given that most of these tracks are around 30 years old.

The demos and unreleased songs are mostly instrumental and sound more like quick sketches on loop rather than complete songs, but still cool nonetheless.
    where did you order from that you actually received them? i guess i should have bought them sooner

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    where did you order from that you actually received them? i guess i should have bought them sooner
    I ordered them through Forced Exposure the day they went up for sale. They sold out pretty quick. Interesting enough, the actual release day was supposed to be 11/13, and you can still preorder them on Amazon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Anyone handling the Coil legacy is apparently doomed to fail unless they are Danny Hyde (and i guess some folks take issue with him, too).

The legacy is quickly becoming a farce.
    Which is a shame, really.

The Threshold Archives project was started by Peter Christopherson and he gave the blue prints to that team and the full "go ahead" to start putting this stuff out there. They were even mastered and compiled by folks in the Coil camp. They are, by all means, official Coil releases.

Danny Hyde is a great guy and has his own vault of material. His "backwards" release is supposedly different than what Threshold House is planning on releasing.

There seems to be a lot of butthurt parties (and fans, sadly), but there's no reason not to make this material available. I know the Threshold Archives are at least compensating former band members and families of John and Peter.

All bullshit aside, these are releases for the fans and that should be the main objective. We shouldn't have to rely on price gouging douches and crappy russian bootlegs to build an affordable Coil collection.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    LP still hasn't arrived, but I've heard some people have got theirs now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072l4x

Great Danny Hyde interview on Stuart Maconie's freak zone

If it doesn't work outside the UK pm me
    Last edited by jmtd; 11-11-2015 at 04:49 AM. Reason: edit for whitespace. My phone really didn't like posting that

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Apology if this has been posted before, it's an interview with Peter from 2003 https://soundcloud.com/interbeing/co...-16-mutek-64kb

These mixes are quite nice too...

https://soundcloud.com/phuriphonics/...-once-was-coil
    and...
    https://soundcloud.com/phuriphonics/...-dark-coil-mix

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got my copy of Backwards on vinyl from amazon today. the packaging looks really nice, and i'm hoping they did a better job pressing this than they did with recoiled. will likely listen to it tomorrow morning.

any news on threshold archive's disappearance?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    got my copy of Backwards on vinyl from amazon today. the packaging looks really nice, and i'm hoping they did a better job pressing this than they did with recoiled. will likely listen to it tomorrow morning.

any news on threshold archive's disappearance?
    There's been a minor, if somewhat vague, update on brainwashed.com

Thank you to everyone who has supported the launch of Threshold Archives. It is something to be proud of. It has made a lot of people very happy to have the beginnings of the project Peter began finally come to light after so many years. The first phase accomplished its goals: to establish it as a viable entity, to be affordable, available, to preserve the legacy, and work as a model to compensate contributors and survivors when bootleg practices and exploiters run rampant worldwide.In order to continue, however, it is necessary to step away and let someone else take responsibility. The new custodian of Threshold Archives has the infrastructure to meet the requirements, manage accounting and royalties, and establish a trust dedicated to reaching agreements with various stakeholders fairly and ethically.
    Brainwashed will only serve in a wholly unpaid advisory capacity from here on. The project is temporarily on hold while the details are being worked out. All apologies to those who have missed the first run but please be patient and try to resist temptation to pay scalpers and opportunists on the auction sites and trading sites.
    Thank you again.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    There's been a minor, if somewhat vague, update on brainwashed.com
    thanks! that actually makes me feel considerably better. especially since i missed out on the first run of all of those CDs.

really wish they'd release, like, a big hard drive or something with the whole catalog on it, like peter had talked about doing shortly before he passed.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    really wish they'd release, like, a big hard drive or something with the whole catalog on it, like peter had talked about doing shortly before he passed.
    Word. He had mentioned that the entire Coil discography could be distributed on a single Blu-ray disc. And then, there was that huge video archive that he planned to host on his site using Drupal. And that, too, went down the drain when we lost him.