Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gone Girl

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Right now this is my favourite thing of the year; not just favourite film but favourite piece of culture that exists in the world.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I'm (partially) with you. It is definitely the best film I saw this year. Absolutely loved it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Any word yet on the Blu-ray/DVD release date?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Not yet, I'd expect word on that in another month or so if not sooner.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw it for a 4th time this week.

SPOILERS ahead 'n stuff...

There are so many memorable moments for me -- big and small -- but one smaller thing that stands out to me on every viewing is Amy washing the blood out of her hair in the shower, saying "Don't forget all the pain you caused me." It's such a brilliant choice, cutting to the blood draining, as Amy delivers that line*. It just beautifully sums up the paradoxical, sinister pathology of the film's characters. On one hand, it's a threat: 'don't forget what you did to me or this will be your blood next time.' On the other, it's another twisted Amy contradiction: she seems to be almost completely oblivious to the fact that she murdered an innocent man while she blabbers on about her own pain. It's so fucking chilling! Even if she honestly believes she would never hurt Nick, that's obviously no guarantee. Therein lies what makes her and the movie so frightening.

*Reminds me of that *amazing* cut in The Social Network when Zuckerberg says and the camera reveals Eduardo's empty seat. Genius.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Any word yet on the Blu-ray/DVD release date?
    if you go to amazon and search "gone girl blu-ray" all you get are girls gone wild blu-rays. it's kind of hilarious.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    There's typically a four month gap between theatrical and dvd release, so look for a February release date. Just in time for Valentine's Day!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Gone Girl is now David Fincher's highest grossing film worldwide, incredible box office run

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/...dfincher.htm&9

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's looking like the only extra on the DVD and Blu-ray (aside from the "Amazing Amy Tattle Tale Book") is a commentary from Fincher.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    It's looking like the only extra on the DVD and Blu-ray (aside from the "Amazing Amy Tattle Tale Book") is a commentary from Fincher.
    At the very least his commentary tracks are some of the best out there.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Drip, drip, drip...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    There's no way there would have been time to do any score extras though, once they'd finished it, wasn't NIN about to start the summer tour?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Liking this movie on Facebook has brought nothing but goddamn spoilers to my timeline. The latest comes from some dumb asshole over at Entertainment Weekly who saw it fit to announce a character's death right in the headline.

SPOILER alert, I guess:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/1...rl-desi-death/

In come the comments complaining about the spoiler, and dumbfucks saying "it's your fault you haven't seen it yet!"
    Never mind the fact that the movie barely got a release in my country and I haven't had a chance to watch it legally yet. It comes out on DVD next year?

Anyway, I see some HD torrents out there. I guess the major Sony leak included Gone Girl?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Why would it? It's not a Sony film.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Why would it? It's not a Sony film.
    Oh. I was under the impression that all of Fincher's films were on Sony, for some reason.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm hoping that they're pulling a Zodiac and doing a barebones release now in order to have more time to do a proper release sometime next year.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Any word on the CD soundtrack release date?

ETA--never mind. Amazon says 1-6.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    finally got a good leak, watching tomorrow. all ladies think this is a sexy movie? maybe i'll get laid tomorrow..

it was a joke people
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 12-14-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I liked the second half more than the first half and wasn't absolutely crazy on the way it ended, kinda expected it to end the way it did but still.

All in all not the greatest movie ever but not bad, some clever bits. Loved the score of course and the cinematography is always top notch in a Fincher film.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finally saw Gone Girl, very very impressed. It was completely different than what I expected, and I must say much less violent than I thought based on the soundtrack. :-) (not that is was all flowers etc) Sound was perfectly OK the whole time. Well, seems I've got my movie of 2014 (till now it was Edge of Tomorrow).

I could not help but be a bit reminded about Revolutionary Road (2008, and btw, Leonardo's sequence Revolutionary Road - Shutter Island - Inception is the best actor trilogy in history of film I believe, sorry for off-topic:-)).

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Ahh, easily one of the best films I've ever seen. The reason I hate movies is exactly because they are like everything but this. I do not understand however how is it that we can see two dicks, a pair of boobs, but NOTHING Rosamund Pike? And yes, it's a serious question and was somewhat annoying me towards the end.

edit: oh, how rude I am, not mentioning the soundtrack. it fit really well, sometimes pumped me up for good, but during one of the scenes in the last 20 minutes it was really stupid how the loud music came in . Can't really explain what I mean, but it was out of place.
    Last edited by Volband; 12-22-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Now out on Digital HD on iTunes today.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just got my blu-ray copy in the mail! i love that it comes with an amazing amy book. my wife is super excited to watch it, so i'm really happy!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Haven't seen anyone comment on this yet (unless there's a different thread somewhere):

"David Fincher, Ben Affleck, and Gillian Flynn are remaking Strangers On a Train"
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/13/75...a-train-remake

Tangentially Gone Girl related, I guess. Wonder if TR+AR will be involved, or if Fincher has discussed it with them. Can't remember if Trent had hinted in any recent interviews at another upcoming collab with Fincher.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwing47 View Post
    Haven't seen anyone comment on this yet (unless there's a different thread somewhere):

"David Fincher, Ben Affleck, and Gillian Flynn are remaking Strangers On a Train"
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/13/75...a-train-remake

Tangentially Gone Girl related, I guess. Wonder if TR+AR will be involved, or if Fincher has discussed it with them. Can't remember if Trent had hinted in any recent interviews at another upcoming collab with Fincher.
    You beat me to it. haha

Im excited yet skeptical of this. I love Fincher and i believe he could pull this off but Im a Hitchcock nerd and while I see Fincher as the modern day Hitchcock, I don't know how I feel about him doing a direct remake...

None the less, if TR & AR did the score this would be the ultimate (Fincher/Reznor/Ross) & (Hitchcock/Herrmann) comparison.

As a side note, Im assuming this mean Fincher is no longer doing the Dragon Tattoo sequel.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    To be honest, I won't believe Fincher is doing this until it's actually in production. He's been connected to a bunch of different films that have never come to fruition. Not to say that I wouldn't like to see this happen, but I'm going to wait and see.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm taking it with a grain of salt for now as well, though it seemed worth linking to. So far the validity feels like it has a little more weight behind it than the Dragon Tattoo sequel rumors a few weeks ago, but yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I guess my thinking was that the mention of Flynn and Affleck being back onboard -- along with the description/timeline from the original Deadline article (should've linked to that in the first place) -- seems specific enough to make it seem like it could actually have some legs.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I liked the last couple Fincher films, and this remake sounds intriguing, but I wish Fincher would do something more... I don't know, high-concept. Maybe a sci-fi film, along the lines of Neuromancer. Or a nutso Jacob's Ladder type of thing. Something that could really let him play visually and thematically. TR/AR could really do an incredible job on a film like that, too.