Page 88 of 191 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 188 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Dave isn't cool at all in my book. He's an insufferable smug git, a smarmy bastard. He gets a pass because he was in Nirvana and he's so cute and cuddly and "OMG THE NICEST MAN IN ROCK." But he isn't. He's kind of snarky and always says "the right thing" and always plays it super safe. He has nothing of interest to say, in his life and in his music, which is as boring and middle of the road as you can get. Insecure rockstars stand behind him, and wear him like a badge of legittimacy. He is not the exception but the proof that drummers should stay behind the drum kit and STFU. And even as a drummer I find him overrated.

King Buzzo gets it. The rest are just fooled by him.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He hates it when bands play one classic album live, maybe because his...doesn't have one?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    He hates it when bands play one classic album live, maybe because his...doesn't have one?
    The thing with playing albums live in their entirety is unless they're a double album you've still got time for plenty more

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Megadeth were once a great metal band with excellent tracks (Hangar 18, Holy Wars.... The Punishment Due, Sweating Bullets, Peace Sells, etc.) but that's fallen to the wayside of the idiocy of Mustaine's new outlook on life brought on by his being "Reborn" again. The music been crap ever since and he's turned into a complete dumbass.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The thing with playing albums live in their entirety is unless they're a double album you've still got time for plenty more
    Definitely; I'd say NIN did it right with TDS performances, considering the encores afterward for each one were pretty robust, and Smashing Pumpkins did it pretty well with the Oceania tour, seguing from the album to older material pretty smoothly. I will say though that when A Perfect Circle did all three albums three nights in a row, that worked well despite the short shows, but that's more of a unique way of doing it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I saw the Who do Quadrophenia (a double album) and they still did a few hits after that.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-wh...l-bdc85c6.html
    Last edited by allegro; 11-06-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i like st. anger. i also love artpop.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Die Antwoord is an overrated pop group that's more about image than music, i don't hate them but i think they aren't that great and "Ugly Boy" is only good because the Aphex Twin sample, their videos are great of course (as i said: Image mostly), so sad their music is weak...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Die Antwoord is an overrated pop group that's more about image than music, i don't hate them but i think they aren't that great and "Ugly Boy" is only good because the Aphex Twin sample, their videos are great of course (as i said: Image mostly), so sad their music is weak...
    Yeah, I couldn't get into them. it's a very very flat gimmick to act as ghetto and "hood" as you can even in irony. Plus I hate Yolandi Visser's vocals.

I seen another recent thread pop up about Manic Street Preachers. Another band I can't get into and find average at best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't get into them. it's a very very flat gimmick to act as ghetto and "hood" as you can even in irony. Plus I hate Yolandi Visser's vocals.

I seen another recent thread pop up about Manic Street Preachers. Another band I can't get into and find average at best.
    Some of their songs are OK but yeah Yolandi's vocals for the most part are annoying as fuck and ruin some of the songs.

As cornfed said, I know most Metallica fans despise St. Anger but to me it might be the only Metallica album I can stomach more than just one song but hey I am not a Metallica fan so yeah. I kinda like the sound and a few songs.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I have no problem with Yolandi's vocals, it's the guy i can't stand (both vocals and antics), Yolandi's vocals remind me a bit to (Blonde Readhead's) Kazu Makino, Helen from Ladytron and even Bjork.
    I understand if some are annoyed by Yolandi's vocals, but i think it suits the group, the other dude i can't get into, he's like a poor man's Keith Flint (at least Flint is cool and has charisma, the other guy just looks like a white trash junkie).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Smells Like Children is my favourite Marilyn Manson album (release/whatever)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This may only be controversial here:

The best albums from the 1950s were from Frank Sinatra--Sinatra Sings For Only the Lonely, Songs For Swingin' Lovers and In the Wee Small Hours being his best work.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post

The best albums from the 1950s were from Frank Sinatra--Sinatra Sings For Only the Lonely, Songs For Swingin' Lovers and In the Wee Small Hours being his best work.
    OMG I love those albums, I listen to them all the time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I really like Songs of Innocence

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post

I like Sinatra, especially Wee Hours, but for me, the greatest albums of the 50s, especially the latter half, were jazz. Birth of the Cool, Kind of Blue, Shape of Jazz to Come, Blue Train...

Also, Billie Holiday's "Lady in Satin" is perfect

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Yanni sucks big time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Trying to get into Radiohead again, listening to Kid A. I find it hard to articulate just what I find irksome about them (although the vocals are up there). I don't get why the critical consensus is how amazingly daring and risky they are when everything is so 'in its right place' stuff that could get played on the radio, music you could play at a dinner party and the music wouldn't disturb you that much. So inoffensive. When idioteque comes on, I love the beat and want to dance then Thom's voice comes in and kills that mood completely. Anyway just random thoughts, i'd give them more chances if they weren't so critically acclaimed. It's not like I don't like stuff that is more background, I love Leftfield, and they have so much more personality than this

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I like Sinatra, especially Wee Hours, but for me, the greatest albums of the 50s, especially the latter half, were jazz. Birth of the Cool, Kind of Blue, Shape of Jazz to Come, Blue Train...

Also, Billie Holiday's "Lady in Satin" is perfect
    Lots of great music from that era that I need to delve into.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Every one of these opinions are about as controversial as a cup of tea!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Trying to get into Radiohead again, listening to Kid A. I find it hard to articulate just what I find irksome about them (although the vocals are up there). I don't get why the critical consensus is how amazingly daring and risky they are when everything is so 'in its right place' stuff that could get played on the radio, music you could play at a dinner party and the music wouldn't disturb you that much. So inoffensive. When idioteque comes on, I love the beat and want to dance then Thom's voice comes in and kills that mood completely. Anyway just random thoughts, i'd give them more chances if they weren't so critically acclaimed. It's not like I don't like stuff that is more background, I love Leftfield, and they have so much more personality than this
    I like Radiohead to a point--good band, I've liked every Radtiohead album that I've listened to...That said, not a hardcore fan, just not that ​into them.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I like Radiohead and I think the King of Limbs album is a complete abomination. Not a single good song on it. Really awful. Don't know what the fuck the band was thinking for that album. I'd take Pablo Honey over it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The reason people called Kid A risky was that it was such a 180 from the album that made them world famous and preceded it, OK Computer. To go from something like Airbag to Idioteque, it's a sharp transition, and it showed that they weren't interested in simply staying in the same groove that worked for them in the past. If you listen to their first three albums, it all makes sense progression wise, culminating in OK Computer, only for the sudden and sharp turn that is Kid A and Amnesiac (which, and this is controversial for Radiohead, I think is better than Kid A actually).

If they're not your thing then I certainly understand it, but I'd love to know what radio stations you listen to where something like Treefingers or Idioteque would get played, because I want to move there. I will say that if you're honestly interested in giving them another shot, if you haven't already then listen to In Rainbows. It's the album that sold me on them, I'd tried to like them before and nothing had clicked until then, and it was like a complete internal shift.

Kid A was just such a big deal because it was such a risky game changer for them in terms of style and songwriting, not to mention the lack of touring, the fact that it had no music videos back when those were still kind of relevant and the fact that it was taking a lot of electronic influence that, yeah, had existed prior to it, but hadn't been pushed that hard by a band that was so popular at the time. And, since then, it gave them the chance to keep mixing things up, going in any direction they've wanted without much question, because it helped break any set expectation people had after OK Computer.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tums206_BFY View Post
    As cornfed said, I know most Metallica fans despise St. Anger but to me it might be the only Metallica album I can stomach more than just one song but hey I am not a Metallica fan so yeah. I kinda like the sound and a few songs.
    I still haven't heard St Anger, and I don't think I've heard all of Load/Reload either. I suspect I'm enough of a fan that they'd just make me cry.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I still haven't heard St Anger, and I don't think I've heard all of Load/Reload either. I suspect I'm enough of a fan that they'd just make me cry.
    SA is the only Metallica album that I really don't like. I tend to be pretty generous with bands I like and try to see the good points with lesser albums. I did like Load/Reload and I think that LuLu is a cool, misunderstood album. SA is just a mess, IMHO, period.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I like Radiohead and I think the King of Limbs album is a complete abomination. Not a single good song on it. Really awful. Don't know what the fuck the band was thinking for that album. I'd take Pablo Honey over it.
    Same here, that's the only album of theirs I couldn't be bothered to keep on the ipod. There's absolutely nothing that caught my attention. I feel no emotion, no involvement, it's a lukewarm fog of an album. And I really tried to get it...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This.

St. Anger isn't bad, I actually enjoy the overall sound.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I will not listen to the new Run The Jewels album because I hate El-P's voice and rapping style. I don't like his music either.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstmord View Post
    This.

St. Anger isn't bad, I actually enjoy the overall sound.
    It could have worked better if the songs were 2-3 minutes long... it seems to me like they took quite simple garagey bangers and artificially extended them to more metallica-esque lengths.

A lot of the time just when you think a song is going to end, it comes back for one more verse or chorus, and I really can visualise them just copy and pasting an extra few bars to pad it out. Frantic is not bad though

The snare sound is odd but people go on about it a bit too much, it fits with the sound of the album. And the lyrics are pretty terrible. We were mortified when it first came out. I'd give it a 4.5/10... unfairly maligned in many ways but still their worst.

On the subject of Metallica... Ride the Lightning is not that good. I love puppets, kill em all and justice, but RTL just isn't all that. Bell tolls and Creeping Death are the only classics on there. Fade to Black has some great riffs but it's not amazing. escape and trapped under ice are bollocks, and call of ktulu is boring

All in all just seems like a 6/10 rehearsal for Master of Puppets. If puppets had bell tolls and creeping death instead of thing that should not be and leper messiah, it would be the best metal album ever made

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I will not listen to the new Run The Jewels album because I hate El-P's voice and rapping style. I don't like his music either.
    That's a shame. It's a fantastic album.