Page 25 of 216 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I don't blame him, I don't even have any equipment to listen to 5.1. Just curious.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    because no one wanted to pay him to do it, and it wasn't something he was just going to do for fun/free. it takes a lot of work to go back into the multi-tracks for something (especially when it was recorded back in the 80s, most likely not onto a computer) and remix it into 5.1, so i don't blame him.
    you might be blending a couple of different situations together there — it was the bullshit Bicycle Music reissue of PHM (in the green jewel case, ew) that included TR not getting paid by Bicycle to change anything with the original multitracks, etc. the actual remastered and repackaged version was done in a considerately better situation artistically (and financially, apparently!) which is why it is remastered, includes "Get Down, Make Love," and has new art.

we still don't have a clear answer (besides the "i don't want to" we can infer) why PHM wasn't re-mixed or expanded into surround sound. the only changes were the removal of a sample in "Sanctified" (presumably because it would have been costly to get it legally cleared) and the separation of "Sanctified" and "Something I Can Never Have" for the vinyl release.

and wasn't PHM recorded with an ancient Mac?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    you might be blending a couple of different situations together there — it was the bullshit Bicycle Music reissue of PHM (in the green jewel case, ew) that included TR not getting paid by Bicycle to change anything with the original multitracks, etc. the actual remastered and repackaged version was done in a considerately better situation artistically (and financially, apparently!) which is why it is remastered, includes "Get Down, Make Love," and has new art.
    The reissue that came in the green case was with Rykodisc and the 2010 remaster was with Bicycle Music.
    Last edited by piggy; 07-11-2013 at 03:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Trent wanted a different track for the first single but the label overrode him. Is this the beginning of tension between Trent and Columbia? Is Trent going to release a track called 'Tension' based on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    So Trent wanted a different track for the first single but the label overrode him. Is this the beginning of tension between Trent and Columbia? Is Trent going to release a track called 'Tension' based on this?
    I think the label was right, though. The song has quite a few plays on Youtube and Soundcloud. Look at some of the best NIN songs/performances on Youtube and gasp at the (relatively) low view count.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    I think the label was right, though. The song has quite a few plays on Youtube and Soundcloud. Look at some of the best NIN songs/performances on Youtube and gasp at the (relatively) low view count.
    yes, but, as pointed out before, those are things that didn't IMMEDIATELY go up on soundcloud and youtube when they were released. if they had put, for example, we're in this together up on youtube as soon as it came out, it would have quite a few more plays than came back haunted does.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Can you please point me to the source material for the label "overriding" him?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Is the title Help Me I Am In Hell based on this scene from Hellraiser II?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post

i forgot how fucked up hellraiser II is...i just read the synopsis on wikipedia and remembered how terrified i was when i watched it on cinemax at age 12...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Random NIN Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Can you please point me to the source material for the label "overriding" him?
    It's from the KROQ interview. Overrode wasn't quite the impression I got or the wording he used though. I gathered he had some initial thoughts on the single and Columbia thought a different direction would work better is what I recall.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 07-12-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    That's what I recall as well... which is why I was asking Greg to back up that strong language.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post

Trent has alwas been a Clive Barker fan ("Stale incense, old sweat, and lies ..."). I've always read everywhere that the title for that song was inspired by that scene from Hellraiser II.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question: Does anybody know the story behind this?:

Not only the concept is basically the same, but some of the shots are nearly identical, so it can't be just a coincidence, right? Is Trent a fan of this band (Scorpions were huge in Europe, but this song is really popular even in the US, if I remember well) or did Peter Christopherson just like the video and thought that a darker remake could be really cool for a NIN video? XD
    Last edited by Max Leo; 07-12-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Can anyone help me find the original 320 mp3 download of NiggyTardust! with the pdf and everything? I hope that's ok to ask for, and if it helps, in addition to paying for the original (now lost) download, I've got that sucka on CD and vinyl too. I just miss the original artwork/tags/embedded lyrics.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Can anyone help me find the original 320 mp3 download of NiggyTardust! with the pdf and everything? I hope that's ok to ask for, and if it helps, in addition to paying for the original (now lost) download, I've got that sucka on CD and vinyl too. I just miss the original artwork/tags/embedded lyrics.
    check your PMs. couldn't find the PDF, unfortunately, but i have the 320kbps MP3s with embedded artwork.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Why not just rip your current CD, embed your own lyrics and art and then just ask us for the PDF?

Anyway, uploaded the pdf here for ya.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    check your PMs. couldn't find the PDF, unfortunately, but i have the 320kbps MP3s with embedded artwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Why not just rip your current CD, embed your own lyrics and art and then just ask us for the PDF?

Anyway, uploaded the pdf here for ya.
    Thanks so much to both of you! Sheepdean, I remember certain specific things being really fun about the original download, like the lyrics for the last track just being Saul telling us to stop reading and dance, etc. Also, maybe it sounds dumb, but the CD is missing Alan Moulder's introduction to the NiggyTardust track, and maybe a couple of other elements, just to cram the bonus tracks on there. That's no fun. The original download feels like the definitive version of the album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was listening to 10 Miles High (Version) and during the quiet bridge, starting around 3:32 to 3:48, I noticed that there's a sample of what seems to be a woman's choir. It sounds to me like they're singing either "invocation indication situation complication salvation" or "a vacation in the Cajun situation complication salvation". I really have no idea.

Surely this has been noticed before. Does anyone know where it's originally from?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    i always thought it's just heavily processed trent's voice

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ninwiki says that too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know where the footage for the hurt music video is taken from? I'm sure some of it was shot specifically for it, but i always wondered where the rest of the footage came from, and what war/ disasters are shown.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    I was listening to 10 Miles High (Version) and during the quiet bridge, starting around 3:32 to 3:48, I noticed that there's a sample of what seems to be a woman's choir. It sounds to me like they're singing either "invocation indication situation complication salvation" or "a vacation in the Cajun situation complication salvation". I really have no idea.

Surely this has been noticed before. Does anyone know where it's originally from?
    Doesn't sound anything like a women's choir to me. It's just Trent, I'm sure.
    I always heard this [a similar interpretation is on ninwiki]:

My nightmare's everywhere but inside
    A living indication of every situation but it seems
    I've got neglected complication
    Hindered my salvation
    but I try and I try and I try

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuckit View Post
    Does anyone know where the footage for the hurt music video is taken from? I'm sure some of it was shot specifically for it, but i always wondered where the rest of the footage came from, and what war/ disasters are shown.

http://www.ninwiki.com/Hurt_(song)

Music Video
    Screenshot from the "Hurt" video
    The video is simply tour footage of Reznor singing behind a scrim. The footage used for this (as well as the live videos for "Eraser" and "Wish") was shot in Dallas, Texas and Omaha, Nebraska in February of 1995. This video was released after a fully produced music video was scrapped. Both the scrapped studio video and the final live video were directed by Simon Maxwell. The live video can be found in the DualDisc edition of The Downward Spiral and also on Closure. Behind-the-scenes footage of the fully produced music video can be seen in the "Appendage" footage on the Closure DVD leak. The original video appears to be similar to the video for "Burn". It features Reznor justified to the right of the screen, singing the song with footage of war atrocities and other acts of violence in the background, which is most likely the same footage projected in the live version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_(N...g)#Music_video

To film the video, a scrim was dropped in front of the band on stage, onto which various images, such as war atrocities, a nuclear bomb test, survivors of the Battle of Stalingrad, a snake staring at the camera, and a time-lapse film of a fox decomposing in reverse, were projected, adding visual symbolism to fit the song's subject matter. A spotlight was cast on Reznor so that he can be seen through the images.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Could someone recommend me the best live version of Mr. Self Destruct? I'm more interested in TDS era recordings, but audio quality is important to me as well, so I'd rather hear Trent's recent voice in good sounding quality than his young voice in shitty audience recording.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Is the site working? I just registered but it won't let me actually login. For some reason even though I've checked setlists there, it never occurred to me to try the features. Now it sounds fun but I can't do it!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Is the site working? I just registered but it won't let me actually login. For some reason even though I've checked setlists there, it never occurred to me to try the features. Now it sounds fun but I can't do it!
    I haven't been able to login recently. I wanted to reset my password but could't find a link to do it either.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It's not letting me log in either.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I could login to the forum, but not the actual site. I hope it's not going away.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Could someone recommend me the best live version of Mr. Self Destruct? I'm more interested in TDS era recordings, but audio quality is important to me as well, so I'd rather hear Trent's recent voice in good sounding quality than his young voice in shitty audience recording.
    There's a TDS era bootleg I used to have called March of The Devil, which is great quality (almost like soundboard, I'd say) and it has "Mr. Self Destruct" on it. I don't remember if the performance of the song itself is good, but that's my best answer.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    There's a TDS era bootleg I used to have called March of The Devil, which is great quality (almost like soundboard, I'd say) and it has "Mr. Self Destruct" on it. I don't remember if the performance of the song itself is good, but that's my best answer.
    Hey, thanks! That's really good one. Last night I was listening to pretty much every notable recording of this song I've came across and I think I have three favourites including your bootleg. Although none of them is soundboard (I don't even think there is a soundboard rec. of Mr. Self Destruct), they sound really great. The problem is the song itself is really lound, fast and angry and the mics just don't keep up sometimes.

1. 2006, Champaign, Illinois
    2. 1994, Columbus, Ohio (Hellraisers Bootleg)
    3. 1994, Tampa, Florida (March Of The Devil Bootleg)
    Last edited by telee.kom; 07-23-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: editing Italy for Illinois

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Battle of Stalingrad. That's exactly what I was looking for!