Thread: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This movie doesn't really interest me, but a question for those familiar w/ the story.... (I'm not at all trying to troll here...) -

Was there something lacking from the actual story in the first movie that needed to be retold? I'm not familiar with the story apart from what was presented in the films, so I'm wondering, what was missing? (Again, honest question, not trolling.)

I know the rights changed hands and maybe there was a desire to reset the style for further sequels, but I'm wondering more about the story aspect of this vs. the 2002 film. Was something "wrong" in the first one?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    This movie doesn't really interest me, but a question for those familiar w/ the story.... (I'm not at all trying to troll here...) -

Was there something lacking from the actual story in the first movie that needed to be retold? I'm not familiar with the story apart from what was presented in the films, so I'm wondering, what was missing? (Again, honest question, not trolling.)

I know the rights changed hands and maybe there was a desire to reset the style for further sequels, but I'm wondering more about the story aspect of this vs. the 2002 film. Was something "wrong" in the first one?
    The origin has been told and re-told and updated and re-vamped and retconned and whatever else in the comics so many times that it's kinda beyond right or wrong at this point, lol. You just pick and choose what characters to open up with and take it from there to tell it however you like within a general framework. The biggest departure from the classic chronology though was mainly Gwen not popping up till the 3rd film, since she was Peter's first love long before M.J. came along. So this is "correcting" that and going into some really interesting story stuff related to that which the previous trilogy never even touched upon. And making Peter have organic webshooters instead of creating his own with his budding science/inventor genius-level intellect. This is going a more classical route with that stuff, too. The Raimi trilogy also never dealt with his parents, who had a pretty interesting backstory retconned into the original run's early days and yet is still considered canon in most cases, and this looks like they plan to get into all that, too.

I don't wanna spoil too much but that's the big stuff.

Oh, and Sandman vs. Uncle Ben, of course.

Like I said, though, it's just a different approach. With the amorphous nature of comics it's kinda pointless trying to be all hardcore-purist about it.

I think it'll make a lot of that crowd very happy while surprising and hopefully impressing a lot of the people who don't know much else other than the original movies, though.

Should be interesting!
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 02-08-2012 at 07:13 PM.