Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Who else is thinking that the "jailer" of Ozymandias is either Dr Manhattan or Lady Trieu?

And we need more Lube Man.
    I was all but certain that it was Dr. Manhattan until that last episode where I began to think that it may be Lady Trieu, or possibly some combination of both or the two of them working in tandem. First, they establish that she can create humans (the couple she gave a son in exchange for their house & land), then Veidt tells his clone assistants that while he is their master, he did not create them. I don't think it's a coincidence that these two pieces of information were doled out in the same episode (unless they're intentionally trying to throw us off). But I also found it very intriguing that Dr. Manhattan was shown building a castle on Mars fairly similar to the castle where Veidt is held captive AND the thing Angela's adopted son, Topher, was building with the "Manhattan Blocks." Then both Topher and Dr. Manhattan destroy the structure they've built. I see a lot of parallels, but I don't quite know what they mean yet...
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-14-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    has anyone noticed that in the "rorschach's journal" memo on peteypedia, the name Deschaines is mentioned?

...the E.B.D.E. was a sophisticated suicide bomb built from material cloned from the stolenbrain of a dead psychic named Robert Deschaines...
    perhaps (very likely) related to Chris Deschaines of Sons Of Pale Horse?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I really love this show.

But I am confused as why white supremacy is associated with Rorschach.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ The Sons of Pale Horse liner notes essay that comes with the first soundtrack volume, and particularly this supplemental file from the world of the show, explains just how that happened. Essentially, Rorschach's journal gets published and taken up by conspiracy theorists as a symbol of anti-government sentiment that, in the wake of Redford's election, turns into a toxic far-right backlash, which births the Seventh Kavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    has anyone noticed that in the "rorschach's journal" memo on peteypedia, the name Deschaines is mentioned?

perhaps (very likely) related to Chris Deschaines of Sons Of Pale Horse?
    Yes, I think the liner notes (someone finally uploaded them all...) also mention that they're cousins.
    Last edited by botley; 11-14-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Spoiler: the squiiiiiid!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    definitely the big geek out moment of this show so far. The one thing we were always so sure we'd never see[

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    So there was a Pale Horse movie and it's an alternate take on Schindler's List. Interesting!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I got major Stranger Things vibes from the reveal

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    What an episode! For something that started off like a character side story, I was impressed with how much it brought all of the narrative elements of the whole show together.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    What an episode! For something that started off like a character side story, I was impressed with how much it brought all of the narrative elements of the whole show together.
    for real. i am very interested to see what the implications of his actions will be. tim blake nelson deserves a fucking emmy. (side note, had no idea he directed several films including O, the modern adaptation of othello)

and i think we can all agree, he got "another kick in the balls," amirite?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    tim blake nelson deserves a fucking emmy. (side note, had no idea he directed several films including O, the modern adaptation of othello)
    This is the only one of his I've seen, but it's a fun one:

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I hope Looking Glass finds some redemption, he's been my favorite, but this is Watchmen so I'm not optimistic lol

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    loved the symmetry of the episode. he was the sucker at the beginning, and got played for the sucker again at the end.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 11-20-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Episode five is nucking futs and I loved it. C'mon... what Spoiler: moon was that Veidt shot himself to, Phobos? The way that the Kavalry played their hand to capture Looking Glass and get him into the 'redpill' chair... fuck, what a tightly executed, brilliant episode.
    Last edited by botley; 11-19-2019 at 04:27 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    loved the symmetry of the episode. he was the suvker at the beginning, and got played for the sucker again at the end.
    Poor Wade. “Another kick in the balls coming up.”

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Villain View Post
    He did find redemption. Angela has been wrong, she's been lying. He learned the truth about his past. I don't thinks are as black and white as seventh Calvary bad/police,FBI. Good. I think there is a deeper thing at play. Perhaps that redemption you seek for looking Glass will come for the seventh Calvary? Maybe they're not racist and the media in universe is lying? Maybe the cops deserved the white knight? Who knows, I just know it won't be black and white. Good episode though, really good!
    it's Seventh Kavalry (not cavalry or calvary) because it's a direct reference to the Klan. in the video they sent to the cops, they made it pretty clear that they're racist. i'm not saying the cops in that world are just "good guys" and, yes, angela should have come clean about what happened. but i don't want LG joining up with some racist fuckwads just because they were right about one thing.

anyway, peteypedia's entries this week are great!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    it's Seventh Kavalry (not cavalry or calvary) because it's a direct reference to the Klan. in the video they sent to the cops, they made it pretty clear that they're racist. i'm not saying the cops in that world are just "good guys" and, yes, angela should have come clean about what happened. but i don't want LG joining up with some racist fuckwads just because they were right about one thing.

There were good people on both sides

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Villain View Post
    There were good people on both sides
    ...that's a fucking joke, right?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

LG isn't joining the Kavalry, he just let his guard down in a vulnerable moment and the Veidt revelation made him question the whole basis of his assumptions to that point. It's so telling that he's supposed to be able to always root out when people are lying, yet he's been taken in by the Veidt charade this whole time and Spoiler: falls again for a Kavalry ruse to bait him into their trap. Luckily, he already has a whole set of coping mechanisms for his trauma, whereas the largest portion of poverty-wracked Nixonville Kavalry members don't and the racist militia thing fills their need for belonging. I think what the episode brilliantly plays with is the notion that for people with racist tendencies, groups like the Kavalry (and you can name any number of parallel groups in our world) appeal to people who feel like they have nothing else and give them a twisted sense of power in a chaotic world. But they are still under the thumb of the puppet-masters like Spoiler: Senator Keene and Chief Crawford, who are essentially using them as pawns for other ends.
    Last edited by botley; 11-19-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    There's a lot to say about that last, stellar episode, and several of you have already done a better job of it than I would have, but I just have to say, this show has done masterfully creating a world that feels as dense and lived-in and unsettling as the world of the original comic. The Peteypedia documents emulating the prose sections at the end of each issue are a great touch but really, just the show itself does a remarkable job of pulling you into this alien yet eerily familiar alternate world.

It's easy for it to get lost in the shuffle of so many amazing moments but the scene at the clone-a-pet business where an imperfect recreation of a family's dog is nonchalantly destroyed (that all we see is it being put into a dishwasher-esque compartment and have...something done to it made it way more disturbing and really emphasizes the relaxed cruelty) was a memorable and horrifying literalization of one of the show's (and comic's) enduring themes, life that exists only to serve the obscene will of forces beyond its reach or comprehension. Like the squids, a race of canon fodder created to further an agenda, and all those who died on 11/2, their lives reduced to little more than a statistic to further Veidt's designs.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Episode five is nucking futs and I loved it. C'mon... what Spoiler: moon was that Veidt shot himself to, Phobos? The way that the Kavalry played their hand to capture Looking Glass and get him into the 'redpill' chair... fuck, what a tightly executed, brilliant episode.
    Spoiler: Ozy is on Europa https://collider.com/watchmen-where-is-adrian-veidt/

Sister Night is in for one hell of a trip down memory lane...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Spoiler: Ozy is on Europa
    i had a feeling that was it, but i don't know enough about astronomy to have made an informed guess, it was more of a hunch.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    In addition to being on Europa, each episode's scenes with Veidt take place roughly one year apart according to Lindelof.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    In addition to being on Europa, each episode's scenes with Veidt take place roughly one year apart according to Lindelof.
    i assumed they just gave him a cake every day hahahahaha

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tonight's episode was one for the ages. Probably will stands as one of my favorite episodes of anything ever

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Tonight's episode was one for the ages. Probably will stands as one of my favorite episodes of anything ever
    After last week's preview I wasn't really looking forward to, and was skeptical of, a flashback episode so soon but FUCK was I wrong. I audibly gasped at least twice. Fantastic piece of storytelling.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I've been calling it all season that Spoiler: Will was Hooded Justice . Such an exciting revelation, and one that is so well written. It changes everything, but in such a great way.

I can't stop gushing about how this series is getting EVERYTHING right.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I assume I'm not alone in realizing why they happened to use that "Cyclops" hand gesture given recent events?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I assume I'm not alone in realizing why they happened to use that "Cyclops" hand gesture given recent events?
    This went over my head, can you explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    This went over my head, can you explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Basically alt-right Internet shit disturbers thought they'd go and use the OK hand sign for their own kicks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...wing-alt-right