Thread: horror games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    P.T. . Clock Tower always gave me a chuckle when I was younger. Off the top of my head, Silent Hill 2 was very unnerving, Resident Evil 2 (I'm looking at you hound that breaks through the two way mirror), Amnesia Series, Outlast is fantastic but could be so much more (Hopefully 2 fixes that), Dead Space, System Shock (Classic), Parasite Eve had it's moments, The Evil Within is great but not that scary to me. Dam, I can keep going .

Layers of Fear had a cool concept, but it's just dumb... Until Dawn is good, but hilariously and unintentionally funny; had a ton of fun with that game.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Until Dawn is good, but hilariously and unintentionally funny; had a ton of fun with that game.
    A friend of mine was the dialogue writer for that game... I'm pretty sure the humor and campy moments are intentional.

I didn't play Layers of Fear, but I saw the trailer and it looked interesting. 2Dark just came out, but I have no idea what the deal is with this... it looks stylistically cool though? I still want to play Eternal Darkness some day. I wonder if people would consider The Last of Us to be a horror game?
    @Alrea, yeah, Shadows of the Damned was so overlooked. It was amazing, and so unique in its personality.
    Also, I don't have an Xbox One, but if it's backwards compatible with Alan Wake, get that. It was super cheap the last time I checked.

A couple other quick pseudo-horror games from the same company, PlayDead, spring to mind.... If you haven't played Limbo or Insides, check those out!

I gotta repeat it though, if you've got a Windows PC, download Phantasmagoria off Steam!!!! This game is FUCKED UP. I wondered for a while if it was just that I was relatively young and impressionable when I first played it, but some of the cut scenes in that were genuinely disturbing. I went back and watched some of the more brutal ones again, and nope... it's actually that fucked up. Almost no horror game I've seen ventures into that true grind house horror mode, and the fact that it uses real FMV acting makes it even more visceral. Aspects haven't aged that well, some of the acting is ludicrously over the top, it can be super cheesy in parts, and if you don't like point/click adventures, this might not be your thing, but wow was this a bold game.

But if point/click adventure horror is your bag, also check out the first two Gabriel Knight games! Also, did anyone play the Clive Barker game Undying, or I Have No Mouth and Must Scream?

Oh yeah PT! So sad that was canceled, but so glad I have the demo on my PS4 still.

AH, also, everyone who didn't pick up Day of the Tentacle remastered last month when it was free on PS+, you screwed up if you like comic horror adventure games... You should fix this by buying it!

Has anyone played all of these Slender games? I always found the concept to be kind of creepy and interesting, and one of them is on sale on PSN now for less than 5 bucks.

I also liked the House of the Dead games, especially the grindhouse feel in Overkill, and I liked the Splatterhouse games (and the underrated reboot). Also, since it came out on the family-friendly Wii, MadWorld (despite getting good reviews) was sadly overlooked...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-01-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    INSIDE IS FUCKING SO GOOD. I haven't played Limbo yet, but I need to. Alan awake MAY be conpatible, I'd have to double check, but that one's definitely on the list.

Is there absolutely any way to get PT on your system now? Like is paying money for it in some form a thing? Because I will. Zero fucks given.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    INSIDE IS FUCKING SO GOOD. I haven't played Limbo yet, but I need to. Alan awake MAY be conpatible, I'd have to double check, but that one's definitely on the list.

Is there absolutely any way to get PT on your system now? Like is paying money for it in some form a thing? Because I will. Zero fucks given.
    I think you need a system backup from someone who has it

It is so lame that they didn't just keep the demo live... it's amazing

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I still want to play Eternal Darkness some day.
    Do it, man. It's one of the most rewarding horror game experiences ever. Not only because it's scary and it messes with you, but also because it plays so well. The controls and camera movement are virtually flawless. If only more horror games took note of that.

I need to play Phantasmagoria. I've heard so many good things. Have you ever played the sequel, @Jinsai ? "I heard that, Curtis!"

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    A friend of mine was the dialogue writer for that game... I promise, the unintentional humor and campiness is totally intentional.

I didn't play Layers of Fear, but I saw the trailer and it looked interesting. 2Dark just came out, but I have no idea what the deal is with this... it looks stylistically cool though? I still want to play Eternal Darkness some day. I wonder if people would consider The Last of Us to be a horror game?

A couple other quick pseudo-horror games from the same company, PlayDead, spring to mind.... If you haven't played Limbo or Insides, check those out!

I gotta repeat it though, if you've got a Windows PC, download Phantasmagoria off Steam!!!! This game is FUCKED UP. I wondered for a while if it was just that I was relatively young and impressionable when I first played it, but some of the cut scenes in that were genuinely disturbing. I went back and watched some of the more brutal ones again, and nope... it's actually that fucked up. Almost no horror game I've seen ventures into that true grind house horror mode, and the fact that it uses real FMV acting makes it even more visceral. Aspects haven't aged that well, some of the acting is ludicrously over the top, it can be super cheesy in parts, and if you don't like point/click adventures, this might not be your thing, but wow was this a bold game.

Oh yeah PT! So sad that was canceled, but so glad I have the demo on my PS4 still.

Has anyone played all of these Slender games? I always found the concept to be kind of creepy and interesting, and one of them is on sale on PSN now for less than 5 bucks.

I also liked the House of the Dead games, especially the grindhouse feel in Overkill, and I liked the Splatterhouse games (and the underrated reboot). Also, since it came out on the family-friendly Wii, MadWorld (despite getting good reviews) was sadly overlooked...
    Ahh, I am so glad that is what they were going for in that game. I wanted to research that myself but just never got around to it. I actually enjoyed the slapstick parts in the game a lot... man, me and my girl were in tears at some parts.

Layers of Fear is interesting, but is about it... it is just that. I has some cool visuals and story, but all in all, it comes through as mediocre and not scary. As for The Last of Us... I would say it falls in somewhere between action and horror. I have tried both Limbo and Inside and I love them both.

Phantasmagoria I have been wanting to play for years. I remember when it came out and my family at the time had a Packard Bell (Man, I loved that computer) and we always had a problem getting it to play on the dam thing... stupid MS-DOS. I will definitely give it a shot now that I know it is on Steam! The visuals I remember was the reason it still lives in infamy to this day along with the disturbing ones. Reminds me of a really bad Sega-CD game.

The Slender games are ok for the most part. I tried out the one that is on PSN, and it's ok... nothing groundbreaking. The Splatterhouse games can be freaking hard at times, but I always enjoyed the one on the TurboGrafx-16.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Phantasmagoria I have been wanting to play for years. I remember when it came out and my family at the time had a Packard Bell (Man, I loved that computer) and we always had a problem getting it to play on the dam thing... stupid MS-DOS. I will definitely give it a shot now that I know it is on Steam! The visuals I remember was the reason it still lives in infamy to this day along with the disturbing ones. Reminds me of a really bad Sega-CD game.
    There's one incredibly gory sequence towards the end that I ended up watching about thirty times in a row because I couldn't figure out the puzzle solution... It is still super disturbing, and the gore is incredibly realistic...

EDIT: Spoiler Warning, but this is the scene I was talking about.

Last edited by Jinsai; 03-15-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Ahh, I am so glad that is what they were going for in that game.
    Just saw this and thought I should clarify, because I'm not speaking on anyone's behalf... I haven't personally asked or anything, it just seemed to be the impression I felt.

I kinda feel bad... as if I was speaking on someone's behalf. I really shouldn't do that.

On a side note, has anyone tried Kona?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-01-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just saw this and thought I should clarify, because I'm not speaking on anyone's behalf... I haven't personally asked or anything, it just seemed to be the impression I felt.

I kinda feel bad... as if I was speaking on someone's behalf. I really shouldn't do that.

Nooo worries man!! After playing it again the other night, I can see why you got that impression, and I did as well after my second play through. Still curious what that may entail from the horses mouth.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I have Kona, there's an eerie mystery to it for sure. I think it might be some kind of First Nations folk lore or something, not sure, I'm still in the middle of it. Not really "scary" or anything so far.

1970s Northern Quebec, a rural lake town in the winter where people have fled and you're just going around trying to figure out what's going on while trying to survive the elements. I'm loving the Canadian culture and atmosphere.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 04-03-2017 at 03:04 PM.