Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1516

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Fuck man, if Trent actually provided a worthwhile product here we wouldn't have to go fucking DIY to finish this shitshow.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    An idea, if this is possible and to help avoid the printing company giving any issues, we could possibly see if they'll just to do all of the artwork. They could do the art on blank CDs and people can just burn their own files. It may even save more money if they don't have to actually press the music data.
    that's exactly what I had in mind, 6 panels sounds good too!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    that's exactly what I had in mind, 6 panels sounds good too!
    I have a very elaborate layout idea lol. It would be a little bit more expensive though. My idea is a 6 panel eco-wallet that has it's own slipcase. I am working out the design and will post here to see what you guys think of it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have a very elaborate layout idea lol. It would be a little bit more expensive though. My idea is a 6 panel eco-wallet that has it's own slipcase. I am working out the design and will post here to see what you guys think of it.
    please do!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    please do!
    Ok, here we go...

I wanted the slipcase to match the actual front and back of the vinyl. So the front of slipcase is the waterfall and back will be the retro looking cover. The top and bottom sides of the slipcase could just be black or something. I was thinking of the other waterfall shot as the back, but I thought it would be cool to make the slipcase be similar to the vinyl front and back.

The slipcase will house a 6 panel eco-wallet or digipack if ya want.

Front cover, back cover, and inside front (so the front panel will open left to reveal the inside front image and that will open to the right)...

Once fully open, this is how the inner left, center, right panels will look...

For the inner center panel, I did some blending to combine two images: the credit pic with the upside NIN font.

Leftover tracklisting and other art could become a booklet

I had some other variations, but liked this one the best after consideration. I didn't include a spine though, but figured we could easily chop up other images to create a spine that says "Nine Inch Nails The Fragile: Deviations 1" and place accordingly. Yes, eco-wallets have spines. The only thing is that on the inside, there will be white that shows thru on the inner spines dividing the left, center, and right panels with the way the panels fold down and glue to create the outer and inner sleeve. I don't know if there are options to color those spaces as well. If there is, it's probably more money because it requires printing on both sides of the sheet.

Plus the 2x CDs need some artwork.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-22-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm not sure about that. Worst case, you can have them just print the art with possibly blank discs for you to burn yourself. Might be a possible way around that.
    If youre talking about kunaki - they will.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    If youre talking about kunaki - they will.
    Kunaki only does jewel cases though, right? Do they do double discs? I've gotten samples from them, but haven't actually used them. Pretty positive they only do single jewel cases. Plus it's just a 2 panel.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-23-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Kunaki only does jewel cases though, right? Do they do double discs? I've gotten samples from them, but haven't actually used them. Pretty positive they only do single jewel cases. Plus it's just a 2 panel.
    ive done a 2xCD from them before.... i think? this is back in 2010 mind you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    kunaki only does single discs, you'd have to do 2 projects to get the second disc.
    I have actually tried them for deviations, I couldn't upload the music though because it's too much data, so this would be a case of ordering blank printed CDs and burn them at home.
    However I did an order for ntae, very basic jewel case and no booklet but it looks good and does the job.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    how about this for the discs:

http://imgur.com/ZxI6rlY

http://imgur.com/9Rm6TTn

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    A big thank you to Callahan for dropping off one of his printed booklets today... looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Off topic, sorry interrupt the CD convo (props to everyone working on that, you guys are awesome and know how to get shit done).

But why the FUCK is Deviations being sold at the FYF merch tent when half the people who ordered the god damn thing haven't even gotten it, not to mention i was told it's basically on fucking BACK ORDER? That is some grade A BS. The only way that could be more of a shit show is if they were selling NTAE on Vinyl and CD there too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
    Trent Is probably fucking pissed because they are costing him money now. He can only put out Deviations as some people have it. He probably has the fragile and spiral etc he wants to put out there and cant because of this fuck up. Jane and John doe going to the show can see the new LP and either say ''hey my brother just got a new turntable'' or'' Bobadoop's husband is a nails fan, Ill grab him that for a b day gift'' I would assume Most of the deviations orders are fulfilled , now I would say less than half came undamaged but they were fulfilled. I have no issue him selling deviations. I think everyone WOULD FREAK of the others were up there
    I even got my Fragile vinyl almost month early (while they're telling other people that's impossible) and haven't even received Deviations. I would be so furious with Sandbag after him dealing with the Firebrand debacle and on to this ridiculousness. I think it's completely understandable to be selling Deviations at merch, but what irritates me is that if they're able to sell it at the show then there should be no reason that mine and others' have been MIA/they tell me "they have no stock in the warehouse" and seeing other conflicting replies to other orders. There's no reason my Deviations shouldn't have shipped when they started going out because I had other "pre order items of august," a direct quote, when it explicitly states on the help desk Deviations ships ahead of the other vinyl orders. Makes no sense and soooo confusing. As long as everything gets here and gets here undamaged, I'm perfectly fine, however the customer service handling has been incredibly subpar and it really makes me wonder if Trent is aware, and if he is, how he's handling it in comparison to how he talked about handling Firebrand's fuck ups.
    Last edited by IndyJ; 07-25-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Shower thought: I have a completely legitimate, digital-only copy of Deviations 1. Because I bought the LP pre-order in good faith and then took the offer of a refund when offered, which explicitly said keep the digital files. So it's totally above board . Weird thought.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Shower thought: I have a completely legitimate, digital-only copy of Deviations 1. Because I bought the LP pre-order in good faith and then took the offer of a refund when offered, which explicitly said keep the digital files. So it's totally above board . Weird thought.
    I'm surprised the digital only files have never been made available on their own. The only reason i got the Deviations was because i'm a NINcomplitist i wanted the music.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    listening to this for the first time on youtube. holy shit this is 5/7 amazing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's a shame the music has been overshadowed by all the drama surrounding the shipping and the sleeve design, cause at heart, it's a fucking great album, and the vinyl pressing quality is excellent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    It's a shame the music has been overshadowed by all the drama surrounding the shipping and the sleeve design, cause at heart, it's a fucking great album, and the vinyl pressing quality is excellent.
    Glad to know the pressing is of good quality. That's the most important element to me. I can deal with some really minor damage to the sleeve and the lack of a booklet as long as the vinyl pressing sounds great.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It does. Listening to the vinyl was almost a new experience for me, even after I'd listened so much to the digital files over the last months that I'd grown a bit tired of the music. Most of those $80 went into the pressing, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So finally broke down and listened on youtube, got impatient waiting for this to be available on some format other than $80 vinyl (not to mention the sandbag horror stories). And wow, this one really hits me in the right spots. The fragile era has a special place in my heart and this is such a great ode/companion to the original album. great stuff. I really do hope to hear it in better quality sometime. ( maybe the magical link fairy will drop a pm ). anyway, had to share my love for this, jealous of those spinning the vinyl , im sure it sounds wonderful.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's not going to be available on any other formats than vinyl, short of what you can DIY. I believe Trent was being honest when he stated that, and the whole NIN store fiasco hasn't exactly been fraught with compromises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is "SOLD OUT" in the store.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I cut apart my damaged deviations sleeve to see what the printing looked like inside. Absolutely not worth destroying your extra sleeve if you want to keep it for whatever reason. This cardboard really is shit quality for holding 4 records, and absolutely unacceptable for us to be so ripped off at $80. Trent honestly should be embarrassed.

Uploading pics now.

Edit: https://imgur.com/gallery/tM7rt
    Last edited by tony.parente; 08-14-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I will say, regarding the Deviations 1 booklet, that none of the other ZIP files has a PDF of the vinyl artwork. I don't think it was ever part of the plan to have an art book included. Iassumed there would be one, due to that being my favorite part of the original Fragile vinyl, Trent's reputation for having great packaging, and due to the side/track info on the PDF, but I don't think its absence has anything to do with the increased pressing costs from fixing issues. I'm genuinely puzzled by the pricing of Deviations and the lack of a booklet, especially considering the quality of TF reissue I got.

But – having heard the whole Deviations set, and just sitting in front of the record player and not being distracted by anything else, the point of the release is to actually have an at-home musical experience, not to use iTunes or whatever as background music while you surf the internet. Unless you have a seriously rare mind, it's impossible to be fully engaged in both tasks at once. There's a danger when you get older, of sinking into nostalgia, but I genuinely think we lost something by putting all our music onto these machines, even though I grew up with a computer from a very young age.

My only complaint is that, in the TF booklet, Bob Ezrin mentions that there was about 4 hours of music? So we're missing about an hour and a half still.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 08-15-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    My only complaint is that, in the TF booklet, Bob Ezrin mentions that there was about 4 hours of music? So we're missing about an hour and a half still.
    True. We know that there's some material by Mike Garson that we haven't heard (enough for a little solo album? I don't have the quote), then there's more specific known examples such as the 3 or so versions of 10 Miles High with different lyrics, and stuff we've already heard that was released on the nin website in low quality (new flesh early version, untitled track, a few remixes, etc).

I still hope Deviations 2 is more of it (especially with lyrics, no matter how rough), but I won't be surprised if they simply lost the material over the years with Deviations 2 set for another record.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    ^^
    There's also stuff like Slipping Away and The Great Collapse which are most definitely from the same pile of stuff, plus possibly* some of the tracks from Still.
    *I'm saying possibly because TR did say that Still stuff came from different sources, including abandoned One Hour Photo sessions and abandoned 2001-ish NIN sessions where TR felt the material was so dark and depressing and it wasn't what TR needed in his life at the time. I'm just paraphrasing this from my memory, I remember reading this in some online chat transcript from that era.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    That's slated for Deviation$ 2: The Search For More Money

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    That's slated for Deviation$ 2: The Search For More Money
    The Fragile's been spun out as its own corporation, totally in the red, so of course we need to crowdfund a release of the surround mix :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Fragile's been spun out as its own corporation, totally in the red, so of course we need to crowdfund a release of the surround mix :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know, the sad thing is, after all this shit, I would totally crowd fund 5.1 mixes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    You know, the sad thing is, after all this shit, I would totally crowd fund 5.1 mixes.
    Even worse, TF was already mixed in 5.1 by Alan Moulder about 6-7 years ago.
    Last edited by blassster; 08-15-2017 at 05:33 PM.