Page 32 of 135 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 132 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    https://www.allmusic.com/album/heave...n-mw0003108390

New record got a great review from Allmusic, whom I generally trust when it comes to getting a feel for an album.

Pitchfork will give it a 4.0, and it will continue to polarize his fanbase like the last six post-peak albums he's released. Same Manson, different year..

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I never trusted Allmusic. Their reviews are crap. Besides, didn't they give Paris Hilton 4 1/2 stars out of 5 for her album?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    According to the credits on Wikipedia Twiggy was AWOL again :/ didn’t play or write a note.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Slutty Canton cheerleader = $5 crack whore while visiting Akron

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I’ve been listening to The Golden Age of Grotesque today (waiting til I finish work to listen to Heaven Upside Down - avoided the leak) and one line from The Bright Young Things stood out

”stop the song and remember what you used to be somebody that could fucking impress me”

i know there’s a bit of a divide between people that TGOG or Eat Me Drink Me was the beginning of his downfall but fuck me that line just popped out at me today. I’m sure when he wrote it he was probably directed it at someone else but it really could apply for him over the last decade or so. Personally I do really like Eat Me Drink Me and The High End of Low - Born Villain can be hit or miss depending on my mood - but it doesn’t change the fact that as a person and a live performer he’s worlds apart from the man he used to be.

Ok now negativity aside I’m very interested to hear Heaven Upside Down soon!
    Last edited by Disassociative; 10-06-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So after two or three listens this albums started to grow on me. Then I didn't listen to it for a while and just put it on two times in a row yesterday and now its having the opposite effect (shrinking on me?). It is incredibly sloppy and some of the lyrics are more cringe-inducing than anything else he's written. I think I would compare it most closely to GAOG. Without paying too close attention, it sounds decent enough, fun, heavy-ish at times, but once you actually tune in it just all sounds kind of dumb.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    So after two or three listens this albums started to grow on me. Then I didn't listen to it for a while and just put it on two times in a row yesterday and now its having the opposite effect (shrinking on me?). It is incredibly sloppy and some of the lyrics are more cringe-inducing than anything else he's written. I think I would compare it most closely to GAOG. Without paying too close attention, it sounds decent enough, fun, heavy-ish at times, but once you actually tune in it just all sounds kind of dumb.
    I'm in the same boat. The album is a huge step backwards from TPE

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    https://www.allmusic.com/album/heave...n-mw0003108390

New record got a great review from Allmusic, whom I generally trust when it comes to getting a feel for an album.

Pitchfork will give it a 4.0, and it will continue to polarize his fanbase like the last six post-peak albums he's released. Same Manson, different year..
    Pitchfork wont give it a 4...Because they wont review it at all lol.......

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...n-upside-down/

COS gave it a great review and they usually shit on everything....

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I just can't anymore..../r/nin

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    To be fair I’m pretty sure ETS would laugh if manson died. This place encourages the most toxic anti manson rhetoric I’ve ever seen, and the concentrated hate like ets has for him is very much exclusive to ets. This place isn’t the norm.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    well..."heaven upside down" is certainly a let-down after how much i loved The Pale Emperor.

most of the music on this is pretty great, and the album would be really enjoyable as an instrumental. but most of the lyrics (and vocals) are just atrocious.

also, "saturnalia" sounds like they did a cover of "bela lugosi's dead", then found out dead cross put one out on their album, so manson went in and wrote his own lyrics and redid vocals, but they left all the music in tact.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    To be fair I’m pretty sure ETS would laugh if manson died. This place encourages the most toxic anti manson rhetoric I’ve ever seen, and the concentrated hate like ets has for him is very much exclusive to ets. This place isn’t the norm.
    do you think it's all from the decades-old feud?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I wouldn't laugh.

In the mean time I'll enjoy the punching bag he's become, but it has nothing to do with ETS or his beef with Trent (I didn't even know or care about their relationship until less than 10 years ago when I somehow came across it)- he brought that up on himself and we shall embrace it! The Onion made an article making fun of him and his spooky persona back in the early 2000's.

Also sounds like I should give this record a spin. I gave up on him when buying Holy Wood. Honestly just got tired of hearing his voice, but listening to Holy Wood now it's a damn fine record.

EDIT: The Onion article from January 2001...

http://www.theonion.com/article/mari...ying-to-sh-459

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I just can't anymore..../r/nin

Man, that HeavyWeaponsBaby guy's an idiot, wtf.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    On the flipside, I think provider module would laugh if Trent died

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    While I usually agree with you, this time I do not. This a pretty bold statement and to blanket all of ETS under this assumption is just wrong.

I do enjoy this thread for the antics that Manson pulls, but I would never laugh if he died. Instead, I would actually feel bad for the guy....even though he did it to himself, it does suck to see someone who played a role in my teens to fall so far from the tree. TPE was, in my opinion, a step in the right direction musically, and I hoped it would bring a renewed sense of pride (for lack of a better term) for Manson and that maybe he was returning to form, but HUD is just a terrible album and shows that he really is coloring by numbers so to speak.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    While I usually agree with you, this time I do not. This a pretty bold statement and to blanket all of ETS under this assumption is just wrong.

I do enjoy this thread for the antics that Manson pulls, but I would never laugh if he died. Instead, I would actually feel bad for the guy....even though he did it to himself, it does suck to see someone who played a role in my teens to fall so far from the tree. TPE was, in my opinion, a step in the right direction musically, and I hoped it would bring a renewed sense of pride (for lack of a better term) for Manson and that maybe he was returning to form, but HUD is just a terrible album and shows that he really is coloring by numbers so to speak.
    I doubt he meant literally everyone here would be happy if Manson died but you can't deny there's a large subset of people here who probably would. Just look at the shit people said right after hearing about him getting injured at a show, in addition to the usual predicting he's gonna die, overdose, etc.
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-06-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Amazon is out of stock? WTF?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    If Manson died, I shit you not, I'd take a day off of work.

I don't go on about it much, but this man was my hero from 1996-2002 or so. My fanboyism would once have made Haz's look adorably quaint. I don't debate more actively about his current state and career because just thinking about it depresses the shit out of me.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Is it really this to accept that people have different musical opinions and tastes? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean someone else doesn't and people who poke fun or judge people for having different tastes are fucking idiots. Not saying that any of you are, but come on.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Amazon is out of stock? WTF?
    Go to Best Buy, brah.

I think I'll do that within the next day or so.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Go to Best Buy, brah.

I think I'll do that within the next day or so.
    Maybe Heaven Upside Down will prove to be the Thriller of the 2010's...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Maybe Heaven Upside Down will prove to be the Thriller of the 2010's...
    Original Thriller pressings worth a lot? I think I still have the vinyl from '83 at my parents house.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Original Thriller pressings worth a lot? I think I still have the vinyl from '83 at my parents house.
    Didn't that come free with every mortgage?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    “Blood Honey” is about the only song I could say something complimentary about on HUD. Eek...and yeah, Peter Murphy is going to sue for sure.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Against my better judgement, I went out and picked it up on CD today for completion purposes, I guess...and maybe a part of me still wants to support him. The lyric booklet being made of and printed like bible paper and doubling as the back cover is pretty neat, gotta admit. I'm impressed it even exists.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Enjoying this new album, a solid 3.5/5.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The lyrics are the weakest aspect of the new album, but musically, it's quite good.