Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Trent's wardrobe and how it pertains to his mindset of each era, 1989-1999

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Trent's wardrobe and how it pertains to his mindset of each era, 1989-1999

with all the fascinating topics being brought up regarding Trent's lyrics and existentialism and the insightful posts of angrysniper and nineinchnerd, I feel the need to bring this topic up and discuss Trent's clothing style over the years and how it pertains to his emotional mindset

PHM era- Trent wore a lot of tank tops and leather jackets with NIN logos and even cut off shorts. In a way this showed his youthful naivete, his innocence, so to speak

1991 Lollapalooza era- by Trent cutting his hair short, this was in essence, Trent shaving off the innocence and thusly entering a new darker era

Broken/TDS era--ah the bondage gear, leather pants, boots, fishnet shirts. where to begin. Our Trent was full into a new dark world, and his wardrobe displayed it. homo-eroticism, self loathing, anger, rage, self destruction. a full embrace of the gothic wardrobe stylings showing the emotional disarray TR was in at this time

Fragile era--short hair again, no more fishnets, no more bondage gear. Our dear boy was all grown up and "maturing". This was Trents embracing of "adulthood"..but you see, underneath there was another story to tell....Fragile era was all about Trent displaying to the world he was over his demons, but inside those demons still lurked. It was also displayed in his wardrobe. Sometimes he would wear casual clothing, to display this new found maturity, but on occasions, you would see the "all black" clothing", or black t shirts, thusly showing the demons were still inside

I could write another thesis for post 2000 wardrobe, but will save that for a rainy day

In closing, Trent has always had a knack for showing his emotions on his sleeve. Literally

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Lol @ TR's PHM era jorts.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    With Teeth tank tops or GTFO

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think the sleeveless button up shirts were pretty cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    G-Star/Epaulet Trent ftw.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I've been trying to find a shirt similar to the one he whore in Into the void videoclip, the red one, minus the military insignia, i mean the fabric and color seem awesome, my guess is it probably was a shirt tailored just for him but if not does anyone know the brand?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    That black shirt with the shiny red military things on the arm was bad as fuck. I looked for that one forever.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    That black shirt with the shiny red military things on the arm was bad as fuck. I looked for that one forever.
    Its the opposite, red shirt, black insignia

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    Its the opposite, red shirt, black insignia
    Oh my bad I'm talking about the one he wore touring and such.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Oh my bad I'm talking about the one he wore touring and such.
    during the fragile era? got any pictures? i remember seeing one with him wearing the red.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    My phone is being a twat and not letting me copy the photo link but Google image search "trent reznor military shirt" and it comes up a few rows down. @Sallos

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    this one?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been trying to find a shirt similar to the one he whore in Into the void videoclip, the red one, minus the military insignia, i mean the fabric and color seem awesome, my guess is it probably was a shirt tailored just for him but if not does anyone know the brand?
    Don't know the brand, but you can look up red long sleeve epaulette shirt.
    I'm also a sucker for military style clothing, hence my former post in this thread
    Last edited by _T_B_W_; 08-08-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _T_B_W_ View Post
    Don't know the brand, but you can look up red long sleeve epaulette shirt.
    I'm also a sucker for military style clothing, hence my former post in this thread
    right on. Now i know what to look for.
    i could always have the insignia printed on the shirt.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Holy shit this thread has somehow taken off from being a joke to becoming serious this is like the reverse opposite of that existentialism one. I desperately hope Trent does nothing for like six more months if this is what this place is becoming, this is fascinating. @billpulsipher we may have our (extreme) differences but goddamnit credit where credit's due this is great

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I hate it when Bill makes me laugh like twice a year. I try to fight it, but it doesn't help.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I want to bring up the clothing and style of the emo shots just after witha teetha was released, but probably best just to ignore that.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I have always liked that shirt too.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I want to bring up the clothing and style of the emo shots just after witha teetha was released, but probably best just to ignore that.
    The clothes weren't too bad, it was more the styling of those photos that sucked. But then the pendulum swung VERY far in this (fucking amazing) direction:

I'm here to WORK, BITCH!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The clothes weren't too bad, it was more the styling of those photos that sucked. But then the pendulum swung VERY far in this (fucking amazing) direction:

I'm here to WORK, BITCH!

I shan't argue with that!

Although, LOL at that UK TV performance with the sunglasses and white shirt.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Interscope was paying for a stylist to do his hair in the promo shots and that's the look they went with, I suppose. Not a great moment and I remember much rejoicing when he finally cut it off around the Japan gigs in mid-2005.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Fashion can be a tough one looking back as the decades pass. In many ways Trent has graduated from the guy that he was in 89-99. Looking back at those years, let’s just be thankful that Trent wasn’t more directly influenced by the stylistic trappings of the likes of Gwar or early Peter Gabriel.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    anything is better than those Justin Bieber pants.
    ANYTHING.

why doesn't he wear hammer pants instead?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    anything is better than those Justin Bieber pants.
    ANYTHING.

why doesn't he wear hammer pants instead?
    The "drop crotch" pants he was wearing during Tension? https://www.rickowens.eu/en/men/prod...u15s4688wsb-09

Granted, the ones in the link above are this season's pair but they are the same designer/brand.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    The "drop crotch" pants he was wearing during Tension? https://www.rickowens.eu/en/men/prod...u15s4688wsb-09

Granted, the ones in the link above are this season's pair but they are the same designer/brand.
    yes.
    jesus.
    and they are ONE tHOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLArS?
    i BET i could figure out how to sew two or 3 pair for that...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    yes.
    jesus.
    and they are ONE tHOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLArS?
    i BET i could figure out how to sew two or 3 pair for that...
    I think they were all wearing Rick Owens for that tour. Remember Robin's cool leather jacket that zipped up to his neck across the front of his body? That was an Owens jacket (about $2,500-$3,500 for that one).