Nirvana are just one of those bands that have been overexposed. They were fucking brilliant but Kurt Cobain's legend became this tool to sell magazines that certain publications to this day still rely heavily upon him. I see his face on the front cover of music magazines in 2012 and i just feel there is no need for this any more. Its been too much for too long. Every area of his life to an insane degree has been documented. I ended up disliking him reading his journals, the whole thing just seemed like it was romanticizing a very sick mentally ill guy.

To me they were just a really good influential band that were around for a few years in the early 90s then ended. It must be an American thing, Nirvana were never this catalyst in the UK. It seems that in the U.S Nirvana were THE thing that introduced Alternative rock to the mainstream. Over here it was never really like that. Hair Metal was never ever ever cool and didnt get much airplay. Bands like The Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cult, New Order, U2, Stone Roses, Echo and the Bunnymen, The The, Cocteau Twins, The Cure etc had been top of the charts throughout the 1980s. Even The Pixies who were American were Number 1 here but were totally obscure in the U,S. It seemed much more segregated in the U.S. Until Nirvana it almost seems there was no room for anything like that.
But listening to Nevermind its impossible to think of that record not being huge. I love it. If you ignore the whole epic legacy and weight of all that and just play it it's a brilliant record i love the production. Although i know a lot of people say it sounds dated. My favorite track is Come as You Are...serious beautiful gloomy masterpiece that track. Love the video too.
Best Nirvana track of all time in my opinion Scentless Apprentice... Hear the Big Black influence in that.
Also love Dive, Anyserysm, Son of a Gun, and Silver.