Thread: NIN Confessions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Way back when I was a teenager, I always thought that TCM sample in "Reptile" where it says "Kirk, help" sounded like "shit, fuck."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bought The Downward Spiral the year it came out and have been listening to it ever since.
    I never connected with "Hurt" until earlier this year.
    No matter how down I've been, I could never connect my depression with this particular song. Something about his pain just didn't resemble mine in this ONE song, so it was always the darkest most touching song every OTHER nin fan has ever heard. I was content feeling that way about "Something I can never have".

This was all until I saw that season finale of Rick and Morty...
    I feel a little guilty about the fact that obsessing over the album for over twenty years, playing the song live in a cover band, hearing johnny cash's masterful version, watching the epic live video on "closure"... none of that put the song on my emotional map.

But when that old drunk turned himself in to the intergalactic cops for the well being of his family, breaking his daughter's heart while saving her life at the same time? And trent starts singing in the background?

It was the first time that song made me cry. And now I get it.
    And now it hits me every time I hear it.