Page 19 of 106 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I've never seen him live which was a bucket list thing, he's been doing so much lately with albums and shows I was quite confident I'd get to see him in the next few years! It really sucks, he was only performing
    last week apparently
    I've stared at his setlists in awe for ages and have always needed to see that man glistening in sweat in front of me. I'm not going to let myself miss anymore tours from anybody I remotely want to see, it's getting way too risky. Somebody needs to check on David Byrne already.

@Swykk you're telling me. I'm terrified for Keith Richards lately.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'm not going to let myself miss anymore tours from anybody I remotely want to see, it's getting way too risky.
    Yeah...I think I'm going to make it a priority to go to Vegas and see Elton John this year. I would kick myself forever if I never got to see him.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    For so many intersections the death of Prince, particularly so close to Bowie's, makes me think of this community.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    February 3, 1959 was the day that music died.

2016 will forever be known as the year music died

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Yeah...I think I'm going to make it a priority to go to Vegas and see Elton John this year. I would kick myself forever if I never got to see him.
    As someone who saw him in Orlando last year -- do it, he's amazing. Sounds clear as a bell, true showman, just a powerhouse. Put on a wonderful, wonderful show and it was a lovely evening all around. So worth the time. The crowd response to Crocodile Rock was just insane, you'd think it was still the 70's.

This is one of my all-time favorite stories about Prince, well worth listening to if you haven't heard it:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I love old Prince from the old days, man, my step-sister used to sing the entire "Controversy" album LOUDLY all the time.

This is one more reason to remind myself to get my fucking flu shot this year (I get it every year but forgot this year). R.I.P. man, you were and always will be awesome.

edit: Ugh, that final set list in Atlanta, oh my God, I never imagined he'd actually sing some of those song ever again in his career. And Joni?? Oh, man, I'm crushed.

Last edited by allegro; 04-21-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    My sister went to his last show recently. I don't fucking believe it. I'm writing my own obituary on the man himself. Bowie's death killed me emotionally as I spent all day crying as this, I'm just stunned and saddened as he, like Bowie, was part of my childhood and upbringing. He was the fucking man and no one will be like him.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Honestly do it. Like I said, we're in that time when all the ones we grew up with are starting to go. I crossed off Bowie, Tom Waits, Prince, Elton, Billy Joel, Robert Plant....more than a few of those have legit been 'Gotta see 'em now, this might be it.' I went to Morrissey in the U.S. with that thought as like 90% of my motivation (without trying to sound like an ass). I mean, I wanted to...I'm a fan, but you're right. If you have a chance, go. Prince did a few shows here in Vancouver not too long ago and people actually moaned that he did more jam stuff than just busting out a greatest hits set. The entire time I was thinking 'I'm seeing some special shit right here.'

edit: ^^^ Your sister saw something spectacular. I've watched a few videos of his recent piano tour and it looked bonkers. Fuck.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I keep thinking about Chapelle's skit and at least it makes me laugh instead of being sad

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yeah, I will be eating pancakes in his memory for dinner tonight. I hope somebody somewhere plays some basketball and shoots the J in his honor.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    He was 21 years old in this video, 1979.

Right around this time he made his first television appearance on Bandstand, which is nowhere to be found (I think he had all copies burned, heh). It was epic, though. He was so painfully shy during public appearances back then.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-21-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He was 21 years old in this video, 1979.

Right around this time he made his first television appearance on Bandstand, which is nowhere to be found (I think he had all copies burned, heh). It was epic, though. He was so painfully shy during public appearances back then.
    I saw that on VH1 a long time ago. He wasn't saying a damn thing and Dick Clark asked how many instruments he could play and Prince just opened his hand and I was like "how many was that?" That's what made him so fuckin' cool. I also remember an old MTV2 promo that I can't find as it had a bunch of guys be Prince and the Revolution ala "When Doves Cry" where they sang "24 more ways to say I love you... oh-oooo" It was fucking hilarious. Aside from that Chappelle skit (which I just watched again and laughed my ass off) which I love is an old skit from In Living Color with Jamie Foxx as Prince. It still makes me laugh....

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Can we all appreciate the time that Prince used Chappelle for a single cover?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Chyna (who part of my childhood since because of WWE) and now Prince? Holy fuck, I could BARELY handle Bowie, but now this...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    fuck man, just fuck

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    He was in my town not three weeks ago. "Love the guy, but I'm not spending $200 on a ticket to see anybody. Fuck that", I said.

FUCK.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The Artist Formally Known as Alive.

Edit: I apologize for that. That was awful.
    Last edited by DF118; 04-21-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here's what I wrote about Prince. It's not as big as the I did on Bowie but I just needed to let something out: http://thevoidgoround.blogspot.com/2...1958-2016.html

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    goddamnit what the fuck

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    This is a good story.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I was gonna drive over to Paisley Park with some friends to join the big crowd that's gathered, but apparently it's a complete nightmare over there and the roads are blocked off and shit and it's hard to get through now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I might have to scrape together some money from somewhere to see Iggy Pop next month.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Rumors are that he may have OD'ed. I'm a "casual" fan of his, don't ever recall him having any substance abuse issues. I know an overdose can technically mean more than one thing so just sharing...

http://fox6now.com/2016/04/21/tmz-pr...gency-landing/

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Most people who suffer from substance abuse issues are experts at concealing that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    He was a pretty religious Jehovah's Witness, and he was a vegetarian and pretty health conscious. My husband is an ATC at the facility that worked Prince's plane when he had to make the emergency landing and word was that he was extremely dehydrated, unconscious, and had to be given IV fluids.

Prince also had a history of epilepsy which complicates the flu.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-21-2016 at 08:51 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    There's also a lot of HIV rumors. I would say the smartest thing is to not buy into any rumor right now until something's officially stated. It's really easy especially with someone as enigmatic as Prince to put together any sort of theory that can sound believable when there's nothing actually known.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    There's also a lot of HIV rumors. I would say the smartest thing is to not buy into any rumor right now until something's officially stated. It's really easy especially with someone as enigmatic as Prince to put together any sort of theory that can sound believable when there's nothing actually known.
    Agreed. I ain't buying that OD bullshit.