Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Views from the Shard London's tallest building

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-Europe.html

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So...here's something I don't understand. When is it ever ok to stick your mouth on the penis of a child? Like, ever? Oh, you're a rabbi? Well, go right ahead, sir! Cut off the tip of my newborn son's penis and then stick your mouth on it and suck. Yeah. Totally not inappropriate. Totally not molestation.

Anyway, turns out sticking your mouth on newborn penis may not be such a good idea. Especially when a bunch of babies get herpes because of it. Especially when a couple of them die.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Oh my god, that's horrible.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Wah??!! Nasty.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Oh my God. That's terrible!

So, I wiki'd it, and though not exactly standard, it's not that uncommon either.
    Last edited by Elke; 06-10-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: my friend wikipedia informed me thusly

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    It's very common among people of the Jewish faith. It's ridiculous and sick, but it's common.

I don't know if it's done the same way today, but I know back in the day they would soak a napkin in wine and let the child suck on it in order to numb the pain. You know, the pain of hacking part of his penis off. That pain.

But yeah, I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in the states it's a very common practice (the bris, I mean; circumcision itself is so common no one even bats an eye, though the numbers are declining, thankfully) and there is very, very little controversy about it. It's just completely accepted. It's a party, man. People come out and have a big party and watch this kid's schmeckel get cut. While the kid screams and screams and everyone just thinks it's a blast. It's insane.

I have been fortunate enough never to have seen one done in person (in spite of the fact that my father's side is Jewish). I would never go, and I don't know that I'd have kind words to say if I was ever invited.
    Last edited by theruiner; 06-10-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw something about this the other week on r/Atheism (naturally). It's just ridiculous. I think I posted something about it on Facebook and got little to no response. I'd never really heard about this particular way to do it, but the act of circumcising is very common. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't had it done. Anyone I'm friends enough to talk about that sort of thing with, anyway.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Michigan State Rep Barred From Speaking After 'Vagina' Comments

Apparently the anatomically correct term for female anatomy is "offensive" to some politicians voting on an abortion bill. Hey people- if you can’t say it you sure as hell shouldn’t be regulating it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad infinitum View Post
    Michigan State Rep Barred From Speaking After 'Vagina' Comments

Apparently the anatomically correct term for female anatomy is "offensive" to some politicians voting on an abortion bill. Hey people- if you can’t say it you sure as hell shouldn’t be regulating it.
    Simple rule of mankind, if you don't understand it, you must fear it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Trucks transporting military drone in DC, drone mistaken for UFO. Official press releases were issued only hours apart:
    "What are you talking about? You saw NOTHING."
    "It was just a weather balloon, shut up."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Anyone else following the news on the Baltic Sea mystery object? I don't think anyone expected anything like this:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...altic-sea.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll gladly never eat squid now.

I'd really like better pictures of this mystery object. There doesn't seem to be many at all.

Women can't say "vagina" in an official setting, but this Michigan Repub. doesn't refrain from using "cunt" in everyday life.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Can't say I didn't see that one coming (yeah - double negative). Guy had a tough life and demons chasing him, right into the bottom of a pool. Further proving that pot and alcohol makes you dumb enough to think you can swim or even walk near a body of water. WTF.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    a priest/teacher at my high school turned out to be a child molester, and now he's showing up in the news again because one of his victims tracked him down and beat the shit out of him. This man is a monster, and he has never been punished for his crimes because of the statute of limitations. Will Lynch is a hero for kicking his ass. If they throw Lynch in jail for this, while father Lindner continues to enjoy living as a free man, the very concept of justice has been pissed on.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...f-1461046.html

reading about this makes me feel sick.

edit: I just watched this video where Lynch described the abuse and it made me fucking cry. I'm donating to his defense fund.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-20-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Jerry Sandusky convicted on 45 counts of child molestation. Let's see how he digs bein' on the flip side.

#DontBendOver

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Higgs boson (a.k.a. the God particle) found?

Also, live update of the announcement.

Technobabble aside, if this is confirmed it's quite the scientific discovery.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sure, though confirmation of its non-existence in the given energy range would be just as huge a discovery.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    There's apparently a 1 in 2 million chance it's not actually the Higgs. Scientists, you gotta love 'em.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    San Diego's 4th of July fireworks display was the most awesome thing ever.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    San Diego's 4th of July fireworks display was the most awesome thing ever.
    This exact same thing happened in one of my old home towns. Although this was attributed to the Highlands of Scotland being shitty and stupid.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    London's tallest building opens with light and laser display - looked crap on the news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    William Lynch has been acquitted for beating the shit out of the priest who molested him as a child

This is fantastic news... still, I want to keep pushing to change the US' statute of limitations on cases regarding child abuse, so that we can finally bring these fucking monsters into court and actually get them behind bars... rather than have them live out their remaining years in the pleasant comfort of some retirement community for rapists, while the Catholic church continues to run their underground railroad for molesters. Jerry Lindner should be in jail.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    While I support the idea of removing the statute of limitations on child abuse (we have the same problem in Belgium), could we pretty please do it for every single person who ever sexually assaulted someone in his or her care who was not able to consent, and not just Catholic pedophile priest? I know I'm hitting repeat here, but they are still by and large a minority in the field of child molestation - it's still fathers and uncles who are most likely to abuse you.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    While I support the idea of removing the statute of limitations on child abuse (we have the same problem in Belgium), could we pretty please do it for every single person who ever sexually assaulted someone in his or her care who was not able to consent, and not just Catholic pedophile priest? I know I'm hitting repeat here, but they are still by and large a minority in the field of child molestation - it's still fathers and uncles who are most likely to abuse you.
    Sure, but what bothers me is the system that defends these people, and the people who turn a blind eye due to their religious affiliation. The Catholic church has been paying to settle these cases, to cover up for the fact that their branches have been sheltering these people from criminal prosecution. There was a "reformation" camp (in Missouri I think?) where they were shipping the known molesters, and then they'd just send them off to a different district for them to molest again after they were deemed to be "reformed." I remember reading an article about how deeply Roger Mahoney was involved in this coverup, and it made me sick.

What organization truly doesn't want the statute of limitations altered to allow allegations against child molesters to see the light of day? Well, I'm sure there's others that have an active incentive other than the catholic church, but they're on the top of the list. Of course Catholic priests aren't the only group that molests, but they have the best support line. I'd like the Catholic church to stop enabling child molestation, or at the very least I'd like to hear them speak out CLEARLY in support of justice for the abuse.

It'd be a nice sentiment for the Pope to suggest that the US alter its statute of limitations to bring rapist priests to due justice, since it's such a horrible and embarrassing issue. Maybe if the vatican actually even offered that scrap, we could all say "maybe the Catholic church doesn't deserve the hate they're getting," even despite the history. I'd like to hear the pope get behind the cause. Meanwhile, the priest who is in the center of this case will go back to his peaceful retirement community, and that ass kicking is the closest he'll get to the justice he deserves. If you want to upset yourself, listen to William Lynch testify as to what Lindner did to him and his brother.

I agree with you on the point that the issue extends beyond any specific case, and that the argument to revise the statute of limitations should not be limited to criticism of the catholic church and the way they've dealt with the issue. Still... It would be silly to not acknowledge the issue.

Maybe if there was a city that represented all uncles and fathers in the world, and if this city was actually fronted by an anointed spokesperson who would decree supposedly infallible suggestions regarding the intrinsic nature of morality to all uncles and fathers, yet it was found that this supposedly moral organization was actually directly involved in a coverup of rampant child abuse by fathers and uncles... I guess I'd be pissed off about that too.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-06-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I get the argument you make (I seem to be having flashbacks ) and I know what I'm about to say doesn't apply to you or even to most people on this site, but I'm having flashbacks to the Belgian Dutroux case where the one known and captured child molester became the thing that stopped us from having a national and public in-depth discussion of how to deal with sexual abuse, how to prevent it and inform children, and how sex ed comes into that. Because as soon as the bastard was caught and jailed, the problem was solved. The same is now happening with the catholic Church scandals - and yes, they're being handled quite poorly (although, ironically, it's the current Pope who went against the former Pope in re-writing the internal rules on how to handle complaints on sexual assault - I had in fact expected a lot better from him). But if the discussion is narrowed down to one handy-to-blame culprit again (and judging by what I see in the media I consult, it is), we're still no further.
    Basically, since sexual abuse of children was 'discovered' in the late 1970s, barely any progress at all has been made in terms of prevention - consider abominations like Stranger Danger - or indeed scientific research into the causes and effects of sexual child abuse, and the psychological impact of it. The few valid and interesting research papers that do make it out of the academic world are still badly underlit, mostly because nobody's fond of the conclusion 'the abuse itself is usually not what hurts the kid'. And, also seldomly mentioned, there's the fear that if sexual abuse studies conclude that there is a correlation between being a vicitim of sexual molestation and/or abuse and sexual orientation, the entire 'I'm gay but I can't help it' defense is blown to smithereens.

I'm going completely off-topic here, sorry about that. I shall end this rant now. [/rant]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    'I'm gay but I can't help it' defense is blown to smithereens.

[/rant]
    Haha its so dumb that people for gay rights even use this defense seeing as it defeats the purpose and apologizes for "gay behavior" rather than claiming it is just as valid. Such a pet peeve of mine. As if the "naturallity" (w/e the fuck that even means) of something is directly correlated to the righteousness. Ugh yeah

Also WTF IS THIS

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...174653107.html

"Men get more “difficult” parking spots than women under mayor’s edict"
    UHHHHH
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 07-11-2012 at 04:15 AM.