Thread: The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

be careful with the ativan, very addictive!
    I started to depend on it about 5 years ago, try and stay away from the benzos, they are a nasty bunch of meds
    Phennigan is probably safer, it's an antihistamine, but is known for its calming at a higher dose, and it's available over the counter! so you could ask a pharmacist their advice

good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by [parasite]; 05-19-2018 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post
    I started to depend on it about 5 years ago, try and stay away from the benzos, they are a nasty bunch of meds
    Phennigan is probably safer, it's an antihistamine, but is known for its calming at a higher dose, and it's available over the counter! so you could ask a pharmacist their advice

good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah, I got off of it. Worst experience of my life but I did it finally. I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post
    Definitely agree on Ativan; it's got the shortest half-life of all the commonly prescribed benzo's over here. Klonopin is one of the safest (as far as addiction), and what you're meant to be on if taking benzo's long term, but they're becoming more and more regulated because of popularity among the opioid crowd. While I'd never recommend others take it, I've been on Klonopin for 8 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you're going to go the antihistamine route, dollar store benadryl. 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours or 30 minutes before going out. Don't be a dummy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Definitely agree on Ativan; it's got the shortest half-life of all the commonly prescribed benzo's over here. Klonopin is one of the safest (as far as addiction), and what you're meant to be on if taking benzo's long term, but they're becoming more and more regulated because of popularity among the opioid crowd. While I'd never recommend others take it, I've been on Klonopin for 8 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you're going to go the antihistamine route, dollar store benadryl. 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours or 30 minutes before going out. Don't be a dummy.
    Yeah, I suffer from memory loss due to being prescribed it on a daily basis long term. The withdrawal was the worst experience ever. I stopped taking it six months ago and I still have headaches every day, that started during withdrawal. I don't believe it really works if you take it every day (edit: due to tolerance and rebound anxiety, where the meds actually make the anxiety worse as it wears off or in between doses), so I'm not entirely sure my doctor knew what they were doing. I found out about the memory loss when going to a neuropsychologist evaluation and that doc blamed it on the Ativan. She said it could recover but will take years.

I've personally had no success with medication and have found that not eating shitty food, exercise, and developing more positive self-talk has been more helpful for me than those approaches. (I even had a drug-induced hypomanic episode when on gabapentin, ativan and zoloft at the same time - pretty sure my doctor was incompetent though.)

Good luck to everyone on here with their struggles; be patient with yourself and get a second opinion if you don't think your doc is working in your best interests.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-24-2018 at 07:42 PM.