Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Saul Williams

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Dare
    That whole song sounded like an intro. No climax, no resolution. Props for being experimental, I'm just not sure I'm into it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    That whole song sounded like an intro. No climax, no resolution. Props for being experimental, I'm just not sure I'm into it.
    Dude, you gotta hear the whole album. It's a WILD trip!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Gave the new album a spin. The singles work so much better in context. I haven't given it enough time to formulate an opinion, although I did enjoy what I heard. Almost Massive Attack-like in places.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Saul is producing the next Tanya Tagaq album and I'm so erect.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Saul is producing the next Tanya Tagaq album and I'm so erect.
    Awesome news! Saul is a lauded poet and performer but he doesn't get enough credit for his music writing and production.

Still haven't delved deeper into the new album. It's definitely one of Saul's more enigmatic releases; MartyrLosrKing was excellent, but it played it a bit too safe in places, and needed some grit. Encrypted & Vulnerable is a puzzle that feels like a more subtle version of NiggyTardust's feel; just as angry and frustrated with the world, but in a more "encrypted and vulnerable" way, if that makes sense. It's like the times have become so scary and depressing that making a NiggyTardust 2 would be futile, so, instead, the narrator (maybe MartyrLosrKing, maybe one of his followers, maybe something else entirely) "encrypts" his rage inside these songs. Still, no kind of encryption is completely invulnerable, with hackers everywhere...

Another meaning would be that the hacker-protagonist is actually trying to unlock the secrets of the government, housed in an encrypted, but vulnerable way, and it's up to the listener to decode it. I know I'm reading too much into the title and not the songs themselves, and that's because... it's too early. If I start dissecting the songs, it could take me seven thousand posts. :P
    Last edited by wizfan; 09-23-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Not sure if anyone else has seen this: Saul is the star of a new film that's out this week called Akilla's Escape. He also composed the score for the film with 3D from Massive Attack.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Saul and Gonjasufi co-produced the new Tanya Tagaq album that just dropped. It's so fucking good

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Saw Neptune Frost last night. It's a little on the long side, and you definitely feel a bit lost at the start, but the visuals and the performances were really good, as was the music. About half of the songs were slightly reworked tracks from MartyrLoserKing. Anyway, worth checking out if it's playing near you.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Vinyl reissues of Niggy Tardust and MLK, as well as the first official pressing of S/T, announced for July. Excited to finally get S/T on wax!