Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Foo Fighters

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Just checked the setlist for the Cubby Bear show to see if this was something I wanted to make a trip down to Seattle for (in the event a Seattle show shows up), but the setlist wasn't anything amazing. I would have preferred more new material... But, I understand what they are going for on this mini club tour. They want to play the new song that they made in that city and only that new song on each different night. Makes sense. I'll just save the trip and wait for the the Foos come up here for their own full show.

Seems like a summer 2015 North American tour may be in the works anyway. Pollstar (www.pollstar.com) has listed a new foo date for this summer in Chicago on August 29th at Wrigley Field. I doubt this is going to be a random one off show. Seems like a late summer/fall North American tour may be in the cards.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Seems like a summer 2015 North American tour may be in the works anyway. Pollstar (www.pollstar.com) has listed a new foo date for this summer in Chicago on August 29th at Wrigley Field. I doubt this is going to be a random one off show. Seems like a late summer/fall North American tour may be in the cards.
    Yep, sounds like that will be the case. The page for the Wrigley show has a "Sonic Highways World Tour," which makes it sound like it'll be quite a large tour, and I'd imagine that would include the US. Wonder what type of venues they'd be playing (arenas, amphitheaters, both?).

Still, I'd really love to be at one of the (presumably) 8 super tiny shows that they will probably do. Pretty much impossible though; I guess the line formed in DC for tickets pretty much as soon as it was announced online.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The presale for the Wrigley Field show starts on Friday morning. General sale starts Monday.

Hopefully they play one in the NY area.

When does the NY show air? Maybe I'll have better luck with the "stand in line for tickets" deal.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    When does the NY show air? Maybe I'll have better luck with the "stand in line for tickets" deal.
    Supposedly, this is the order of airdates. If they do small shows, they'd likely be announced early that week (Tuesday-ish?).
    Oct 31st - Nashville
    Nov 7th - Austin
    Nov 14th - LA
    Nov 21st - NOLA
    Nov 28th - Seattle
    Dec 5th - NY

Best of luck if they do end up doing a NY show! I'd suggest turning on notifications from their FB/Twitter feeds if you haven't already, since you'll want to know the second they're announced.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Strange that they would have NY at the very end when they were just literally in Chicago, which geographically, makes sense to head to NY next instead of trekking from the east coast all the way to the furthest point North-West (Seattle) just to head back East again.

In fact, the whole schedule is pretty messed up now that I think about it... Nashville and then to Austin when NOLA is right there, then off to LA and back tracking to NOLA just to head back west for Seattle...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Foo Fighters

What was #60Minutes doing at Studio 606? Hint: Anderson Cooper. Stay tuned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Strange that they would have NY at the very end when they were just literally in Chicago, which geographically, makes sense to head to NY next instead of trekking from the east coast all the way to the furthest point North-West (Seattle) just to head back East again.

In fact, the whole schedule is pretty messed up now that I think about it... Nashville and then to Austin when NOLA is right there, then off to LA and back tracking to NOLA just to head back west for Seattle...
    Yeah, it's bizarre, but I guess if they're doing crazy stuff like playing insanely-small venues and just being awesome in general, then traveling a weird path isn't really out of the question.

They're also playing Voodoo Fest around Halloweekend (which is literally in NOLA); yet that's the week of Nashville, not NOLA.

Technically it's all speculation right now. But the odds seem very good, esp. since they tweeted "1 down, 7 to go" or something, a few days ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I got put into the "waiting room" for the presale. When I got through, it only had P2 level seats available. So I'll take my chances on the Monday general sale. :/

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I got put into the "waiting room" for the presale. When I got through, it only had P2 level seats available. So I'll take my chances on the Monday general sale. :/
    Same here. Ugh, I need to see this show, I would love to see Cheap Trick and Urge Overkill again.

EDIT: This was for the Chicago show, if anyone got tix, HOOK IT UP!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    They're already going for stupid amounts on StubHub. God. I hate this shit. I just figure if I'm going all the way to goddamn Chicago, I want to be in a decent area. Not like 4 stories up and 1/4 mile away or whatever.

I shall try again on Monday. I haven't had any luck with a presale since Tension.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Same boat here...sucks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Same, I got nothing. Had three browsers open 5-10 mins before 10am, and didn't even get past the waiting room. I was actually closer to getting tickets for the 800-person Cubby Bear show than a stadium show. WTF.

One of my friends was lucky and scored P1 seats, so at least I can fall back on those if I'm unable to find GA tickets for a not-insane price. I have 10 months to find them, I guess.

Trying again Monday for GA. Best of luck, everyone!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I think I have a group of 4 committed to the Chicago show now.

And it looks like there is a stadium show in DC... So perhaps it will be a whole NA deal.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think I have a group of 4 committed to the Chicago show now.

And it looks like there is a stadium show in DC... So perhaps it will be a whole NA deal.
    Hmm, wonder if they're just going to announce the US stadium/show dates One by One. (pun intended)

Are they going to do a stadium show in each of the 8 cities?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwing47 View Post
    Hmm, wonder if they're just going to announce the US stadium/show dates One by One. (pun intended)

Are they going to do a stadium show in each of the 8 cities?
    I'm going to assume it's going to be a full blown North American tour, but since the album is focused on these 8 cities, they are going to release/market those ones first and then the rest of the dates will be filled in along the way.

ALSO, last night's setlist in DC was BADASS. This set was better than the Chicago one and 29 songs!!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foo-fi...-6bccc23a.html

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just watched episode 2, damn ian mckaye is such a cool dude. Must have been some good times then.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just finished Ep 2 also. Seems like DC might have the least "meat" to talk about out of all of the cities and was mainly just included because of Dave's growing up nearby. Seems like the end note was basically "no one really knows the bands that came out of here, but they did influence the bands that people do know now."

Fully enjoyed the ep, but if I had to guess it'll be the least riveting of the mini-series. TV-wise, probably would've put this one as maybe #6 of 8. Maybe it worked best as the 2nd track on the album?

Wonder how they decided to order this entire process, anyway (recording order, album/TV order, etc).

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I got in at 10:01, and there weren't any GA tickets available even then. Goddamn it.

Now I think I'm going to wait for the NOLA show to be announced. NOLA is my most favorite city that I've ever been to. I've been wanting to go back for a couple of years now. This will be a great excuse to get there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, got squat here too. I might be Stubhubbing this one, as much that pains me to say it.

Hoping a Nashville show gets announced soon; either that and/or NOLA I would possibly do.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I was able to get 2 tickets together in a P2 section, but meh.

Chicago is fun but nothing compares to NOLA for me. If it wasn't so oppressively hot all of the time, I would live there in an instant. If you've never been, and you're down to travel, I would highly recommend it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    And the Nashville show has been announced. Onsale tomorrow. Show on Halloween.

Hmm, looks like a auditorium/seated show. Probably still a 0.01% chance of me getting anything, but that won't stop me from trying!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Australia / New Zealand tour dates:

Here’s the plan for Australia/New Zealand:

Feb. 18 – Christchurch, New Zealand, AMI Stadium
    Feb. 21 – Auckland, New Zealand, Mt. Smart Stadium
    Feb. 24 – Brisbane, Australia, Suncorp Stadium
    Feb. 26 – Sydney, Australia, ANZ Stadium
    Feb. 28 – Melbourne, Australia, Etihad Stadium
    March 2 – Glenorchy, Australia, Derwent Entertainment Centre
    March 4 – Hindmarsh, Australia, Coopers Stadium
    March 7 – Perth, Australia, nib Stadium

This works out AMAZING since I will be in Sydney for the Feb 26th show!! Soooo excited!
    Now to score tickets...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Stream the album here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_6123984.html

I'm sad to report that this album will not get anymore rotation from me though. This was one of my most anticipated albums of the year and I am severely let down.
    The songs are just very boring and just generic rock songs. They don't have that same Foo Fighters catch that their previous albums have.

"Something from Nothing" and "Feast and the Famine" are the closest you get to classic Foo Fighters and then the album just takes a nose-dive from there.
    All the other songs are not memorable and just meander on as background noise.

I knew it was going to be hard to followup "Wasting Light" as that album is treading on "The Colour and the Shape" territory... but... this is a very disappointing record.

Dave Grohl has become what he feared the most... the most generic musician in Rock 'n Roll.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm casual FF fan. Wasting Light was amazing recording and I agree that this is nowhere near that quality but I wouldn't call it complete let down. It isn't very exciting but I still think it's solid rock album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't see how anyone watching the doc can say this record was generic. Considering the different styles of songs, the various guests, I think it's a huge triumph for what they set out to accomplish. It's too early to gauge how much I like it yet, but I can already tell it will rank higher for me than Wasting Light, but then again I wasn't huge on that like everyone else seemed to be. There was definitely nothing on that record as good as Something from Nothing.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valiantsteed View Post
    I don't see how anyone watching the doc can say this record was generic. Considering the different styles of songs, the various guests, I think it's a huge triumph for what they set out to accomplish. It's too early to gauge how much I like it yet, but I can already tell it will rank higher for me than Wasting Light, but then again I wasn't huge on that like everyone else seemed to be. There was definitely nothing on that record as good as Something from Nothing.
    The show is fantastic, but yes the record is pretty generic. Aside from the lyrics, the songs don't really even represent the cities that they were recorded in. They're just songs. None of them are necessarily bad but none are all that great either. Sure the guest spots help at times to give you a vibe, but the biggest example of the songs falling flat is the last track. Cool Joan Jett is on there? Where is she? It's a 7 minute power ballad that doesn't sound anything like New York Punk. I dig that song, but it's a completely failed attempt at recreating a certain scene and legacy. They are just simply standard Foo Fighters tracks with last minute guest spots recorded in various historical recording studios that were filmed for a fantastically interesting television series.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree, the show is great.. the album, is ok. I like 50% of the album. As others have said though, the guest spots all seem like after thoughts. Even though each episode focus's on multiple styles of music, I wish some of the songs musically reflected at least one of 'em. They had what, three amaaaazing guitarists and you can barely pick them out on the 3 tracks? I still give Grohl & Co. a ton of credit though, this was a very cool thing to do as a concept..

I think maybe a Sound City / Sonic Highways hybrid is what we need, or at least what we were hoping for.

I've listened to "I am a River" twice now and both times I get to the end and I'm like "oh, wait, isn't Joan Jett on here?".. i'm guessing she's singing on the chorus and Dave's vocals are just overpowering hers?

i like being able to pick guests out audibly...
    Last edited by r_k_f; 11-10-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I gotta say (and others have said something similar), even though I don't really like the Foo Fighters that much (they're a little bland), I'm loving this series of documentaries. Great concept and execution, and good god it must have been hard to pull off. Can you imagine the amount of work and coordination involved in this project?!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, I agree, I'm not a Foo Fighters fan at all, and I'm not even a huge Dave Grohl fan, but I'm liking the documentary, I'm recording the series, and I'm enjoying learning about each city and the people and music from each city, etc. The stuff I learned about Nashville, alone, was worth it. This has to win an Emmy.