Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Foo Fighters

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    My take, based on nothing but feels: Josh is a stopgap until Taylor's son is old enough to take the seat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    My take, based on nothing but feels: Josh is a stopgap until Taylor's son is old enough to take the seat.
    this seems pretty obvious to me as well

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Boy talk about a nepo baby! rolls eyes

It's said in jest...mostly.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I feel like his son is so young we have no idea what his skill level will be to actually be able to pull this off full-time.

Also, the band covered Bad Brains two nights ago at the grand opening of a new club in DC called Atlantis, modeled after the original 9:30 Club. The singer of Dave Grohl's pre-Nirvana DC based band Scream, Pete Stahl, came out to sing it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    IIRC, Pete's the guy who turned to management and is the brother of Franz, the guitarist who joined the Foos for like a tour and only recorded maybe one song in the studio.

wikipedia says my memory of obscure band facts is just about spot on: they recorded two songs. amazing. I can't remember birthdays but this? sure. locked in.

Also I first heard Pete and Franz from their band Wool; Dave can be seen wearing Wool shirts from time to time in concert.

Which is an SEO nightmare to find a picture of Dave wearing a Wool shirt.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There is a prominent photo of Dave wearing the classic Wool shirt (designed like the Kool cigarettes logo)….liner notes of their debut record.
    Last edited by Failure; 06-01-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Holy shit this is an amazing album. I'm listening to it while working and it's kinda hard to concentrate because every song is filled with grief, lyrics are mostly about loss, understandably so. I lost my mom three years ago this month, in a tragic accident. So this album coming at this time seems fitting. I'd rank their albums like this:
    1. Wasting Light
    2. Nothing Left to Lose
    3. The Colour and the Shape
    4. But Here We Are
    5. Self Titled

And the rest of the albums change positions depending on my mood, so I won't list them. But Here We Are became immediately an essential Foos album. I was kinda worried because Rescued wasn't a strong lead single, but the rest of the album just rips.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    They always overate and overhype the scores (the oposite to Pitchfork that finds everything mediocre or bad), but this album is a really nice listen; reminded me a lot to "There's nothing left to lose".

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think the new album is fantastic. One of their best.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rest is such an emotional gut punch, especially when the Congregation riff kicks in. I lost 2 very good friends and my mother within a short time period a few years back and this just hits me hard.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think But Here We Are is the best rock album of 2023. The songs are some of their catchies yet, but it rocks hard, and has a lot of heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love it. Beyond Me makes me tear up, especially when it gets to the chorus. It's got this bittersweet anthemic-ness, and the verses make me think of Elliott Smith's later records with the quiet, whisper-y vocals from Dave. The Teacher is a masterpiece, those heavy verses and guitars have such a cool 90s vibe, and that "wake up" section is so intense, you can tell Dave is putting everything he's got into those screams! The way it distorts into noise at the very end reminds me of NIN a bit too. The Glass reminds me of Wheels a little bit, the chorus is fantastic and the lyrics are heartbreaking. I feel like it's one of those records where each time you listen to it you go on an emotional journey, I don't think it's suited for a casual kind of listen through.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

lol, that's pretty good. would have like a little Foo put on the song, a little heavier sound, you know?