Thread: Work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It's been over 14 years since I've interviewed for a job. Today, I had one. Is it still necessary/expected to where a suit when you interview for an office job? I didn't wear one and talking with my friends (who've already migrated over to this place) over lunch the general opinion is that I should have (as they both did). The dress code at this place is more like khakis & polo. Thoughts?

Regardless, it seemed like the interview went pretty well.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    It's been over 14 years since I've interviewed for a job. Today, I had one. Is it still necessary/expected to where a suit when you interview for an office job? I didn't wear one and talking with my friends (who've already migrated over to this place) over lunch the general opinion is that I should have (as they both did). The dress code at this place is more like khakis & polo. Thoughts?

It's would always wear a suit for an office job regardless of the dress code. However, I've known one or two people who've turned up to a shorts and t-shirts place dressed causally, and still got the job- but that's very much been because of a very laid back environment and interviewer. You sell yourself better as a suit though- it indicates that you mean to perform. Did anyone draw attention to it in the interview?

The number one thing to take away from an interview, is that it's all about the experience. If you blew it, you can learn from that and you wont make the same mistake again. I should add that that I've blown hundreds of the damn things.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    It's would always wear a suit for an office job regardless of the dress code. However, I've known one or two people who've turned up to a shorts and t-shirts place dressed causally, and still got the job- but that's very much been because of a very laid back environment and interviewer. You sell yourself better as a suit though- it indicates that you mean to perform. Did anyone draw attention to it in the interview?

The number one thing to take away from an interview, is that it's all about the experience. If you blew it, you can learn from that and you wont make the same mistake again. I should add that that I've blown hundreds of the damn things.
    No one drew any attention to it during the interview. I only became aware of it after the fact because my friends said something when we met up for lunch. Obviously, regardless of the outcome, that will be the last time I make that mistake.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post

Follow up to this post. Thankfully, it appears that the lack of a suit wasn't an issue. Got a call this morning with an offer.