Thread: 2013.04.17 - Monterey, CA @ The Golden State Theatre

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I thought the acoustics were really nice, and I usually don't like them from as close up as I was.
    Many, many thanks to Erik for improving my seating situation, it was a rare and baffling act of kindness that made a huge difference for my wife and I. You are super cool dude!
    I have to say that the powers that be handled seating very poorly. While early buyers got terrible akwardly placed seats, The entire front row wasn't booked at all and much of the middle balcony was untouched.. My friend Alex sat in the very front middle, and was the only person in the front row for the first five songs, before more people caught on and took those seats anyway.

Let me restate that: My best friend just sat there with the single best seat in the house, undisturbed for the entire show. We were supposed to be in the corner of the balcony.

It came to a head when people started rushing the isles for the last three songs, which sort of killed the vibe. I thought just sitting down and taking it in was a great change of pace for a show like this.

That made it awesome actually,and in for the majority of the show the audience was MOSTLY really respectful and quiet compared to what I've come to expect at a Nine Inch Nails show.

The band itself is so much better live than on the recording. They have a lot more energy in this setting and the impressive visual element makes everything more exciting. Impressive visual element doesn't begin to describe it. I tried to explain to a friend, who had the opportunity to just walk in towards the end, what it was like and he was said he'd seen light shows before... It was like being inside of a broken 3DS. That shit is too futuristic for Star Trek comparisons. Totally a mindfuck.

It was great to see this at the Golden State Theater. For us in Monterey this was a really big deal. The Golden State Theater has only just got up and running with shows like this, and How to Destroy Angels was a serious proving point. It made the whole vibe of the show better, this sense of a community growing and becoming stronger during our mutual love and enjoyment of this artist. There was some serious excitement from our local entertainment industry/ show hoppers that was rare to see in among people who grind through live performances everyday. I suppose its hard to explain, but it was something extra special for us here in little ol' Monterey

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It was great to see this at the Golden State Theater. For us in Monterey this was a really big deal. The Golden State Theater has only just got up and running with shows like this, and How to Destroy Angels was a serious proving point. It made the whole vibe of the show better, this sense of a community growing and becoming stronger during our mutual love and enjoyment of this artist. There was some serious excitement from our local entertainment industry/ show hoppers that was rare to see in among people who grind through live performances everyday. I suppose its hard to explain, but it was something extra special for us here in little ol' Monterey
    Being born and raised in neighboring Salinas, I relate to the whole Monterey music scene pride thing. In all my years, this was the biggest show, by far, for our community. It seemed that all the greats played there before I was born (e.g., the Monterey Pop Festival made famous by Hendrix's iconic lighting his guitar on fire). In high school, if we wanted to catch a decent show, the nearest place was Santa Cruz and/or San Francisco. When I saw Monterey initially listed as one of the stops on the HTDA tour, I had to do a double-take. By the way, I hadn't been to that theater since it became a concert venue. The last time I went there, it was to see a movie. I love that they preserved that old theater. It seems the line-ups are growing: I saw that "Dead Can Dance" will be there this Thursday. Wish I could go to that. Hopefully, the scene will continue to grow; it's a great city. I have a lot of good memories there, including tonight's show.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Something new for the Monterey show, Trent did band member introductions before We Fade Away.

Trent's keyboard is definitely a Nord Electro.

I also took some photos. You can likely make out a lot of other instruments in them.

They are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellep...7633269995011/