Page 452 of 528 FirstFirst ... 352 402 442 450 451 452 453 454 462 502 ... LastLast
Results 13,531 to 13,560 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    If they are ever going to make good on their promise of a deluxe set for The Fragile this year would be the year to do it. I am really holding out hope for this, but you know how things usually go, so...
    I don't think Trent is done with The Fragile just yet. I think we'll see something for its anniversary. The site hinted at a reissue of And All That Could Have Been and Trent has already mentioned Still being reissued. I'd love to see Things Falling Apart to be reissued as well and include the other remixes left off the original release and perhaps some of those vocal versions of unreleased Deviations 1 tracks that were labeled as instrumental. I'd love to see Further Down The Spiral reissued and remastered with both tracklists combined and for it include all of the TDS b-sides.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    So I can't BELIEVE I never noticed this before now, being a huge bowie fan, and I'm sure this was discussed in 07 and I missed it, BUT

Did Oh, You Pretty Things inspire The Presence?

I'm talking about the line where Bowie sings "look out my window and what do I see/ a crack in the sky and a hand reaching down to me."

Also, there's "the strangers arrived today, and it looks as though they're here to stay" vs. "The passengers arrived today/it looks as though they're here to stay."

I know Bowie had a massive influence on Trent, but I'm starting to think this one SONG inspired a LOT of NIN lyrics and themes
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-18-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    "it looks as though they're here to stay"
    This confused me for some reason. However, it's actually directly quoted in both Find My Way and All Time Low. Possibly also in All The Love In The World: "It looks as though the past is here to stay".

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    This confused me for some reason. However, it's actually directly quoted in both Find My Way and All Time Low. Possibly also in All The Love In The World: "It looks as though the past is here to stay".
    Ah. I'm sorry. What I meant was that the Bowie song says "the strangers arrived today and it looks as though they're here to stay;" the same old Bowie song with the "crack in the sky."
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-19-2018 at 04:41 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    That’s a great find! Either a direct reference or a subconscious one. Too similar to be coincidence on both counts.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    One might even say... God broke down the door.

Speaking of, has Trent explained the title of God Break Down The Door anywhere? Or does anyone have any speculation as to what it might actually mean?
    I was just discussing it with my wife. We have no fucking idea.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ah. I'm sorry. What I meant was that the Bowie song says "the strangers arrived today and it looks as though they're here to stay;" the same old Bowie song with the "crack in the sky."
    Similarly, and this is in reverse in terms of the artist:

Gary Numan, “Haunted”, 2006 - “And this is not my voice. Not my face. Not my life. Belongs to you.”

Trent Reznor, “Head Down”, 2008 - “And this is not my face. And this is not my life. And there is not a single thing here I can recognize.”

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    God Break Down the Door -

I have been puzzling over this for months.

My first thought was that in Revelation there is Jesus saying “here I am, I stand at the door and knock”. Perhaps Trent is imploring him to break down the door and maybe no one is here with what he is lookin for because we are all unworthy and uncaring (which is kind of a theme of other songs on a album).

It also calls to mind a number of movies where the authorities are trying to break into a room to get some answers but when they finally do they still walk away not understanding what is going on. This kind of fits the Lost Highway noir kind of vibe to the sound of this album.

Perhaps after the simulation theme of AV, there is the idea of someone sitting at the controls and the Presence, looking in on those in the simulation. I’m Not Anymore he’s trapped in a room. In The Background World “you left me here.” Now he implored God to Break down that door of this room, but the answers (to the simulation as well as the trilogy) are not going to be found here.

I would be curious to here other interpretations.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Next August is the 25th anniversary of Woodstock '94, will we finally get the show on Blu-ray remastered from the original analogue HD camera source and remixed in 5.1?
    Last edited by botley; 12-19-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Next August is the 25th anniversary of Woodstock '94, will we finally get the show on Blu-ray remastered from the original 1080i analogue HD camera source and remixed in 5.1?
    Woodstock was shot in HD???

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Woodstock was shot in HD???
    Yes! It was in the very early stages of adoption (but not in the Japanese market, where HD satellite broadcasts were already taking place). They shot the whole festival in the 1125-line "HiVision" camera format, so it's theoretically possible to convert for a modern HD digital release, provided all the original camera rushes exist and can still be played back. I believe the audio was all recorded in multi-track digital format as well.

Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary concert celebration in 1992 was shot in this video format, too, and saw a Blu-ray release recently that looks outstanding.
    Last edited by botley; 12-19-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Next August is the 25th anniversary of Woodstock '94, will we finally get the show on Blu-ray remastered from the original 1080i analogue HD camera source and remixed in 5.1?
    That would be great, but considering how Trent felt about that performance afterwards, I doubt it'll happen. It's one of the band's best in terms of pure performance, but the technical issues they encountered, plus the odds of getting the original master tapes for it, definitely work against it. Never say never though, especially with Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That would be great, but considering how Trent felt about that performance afterwards, I doubt it'll happen. It's one of the band's best in terms of pure performance, but the technical issues they encountered, plus the odds of getting the original master tapes for it, definitely work against it. Never say never though, especially with Nine Inch Nails.
    I just think it's a shame that the 'official' documents we have (including the so-called official "Music Vault" version on YouTube) are pretty sorry representations, given today's technology, of what it must have actually been like to experience that gig in person. It's a super-important moment in the history of the band, one which deserves credible documentation in the best possible archival format, not a dub of a dub from an inferior standard definition feed (looking at you, Closure DVD).

And if they can re-amp things and replace Vrenna's shitty kit trigger noises with better drum samples, so much the better. The band performed well, and an improved audio mix can definitely overcome the apparent technical issues, provided that all the original elements still exist.
    Last edited by botley; 12-19-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Man I don't know about anyone else but I still go on YouTube and watch the crappiest quality version of this concert and go bananas. It was legendary. SO much raw emotion and energy and effort, such a spectacle. There has never been anything quite like it before or since. I would say I wish I had been there, but I really don't. I cannot imagine being 600 rows back suffocating between mud-soaked sweaty dudes. If we ever get HD, sweet, but I'll watch what we've got any day.

Then again I spent my childhood as a human remote control for my parents on our 8-channel wooden-boxed TV set, trying to play with rabbit ears to get those to come in right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://www.mlinehamart.com/

Where is Trent christmas ornament?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I seriously hope that 3D audio effects become more and more of a thing on Nine Inch Nails songs on YouTube. All of them require headphones for the full effect. I was always fascinated with the idea of "getting inside songs" with the sounds going around, in front, behind, above and below me.

There's just so many songs that'll go great with those effects, but for I just found Hurt, Every Day Is Exactly The Same and Only in what they call "8D Audio". And again, it's best to use headphones for this type of thing. (At least for the best results, that is. For me, it's with headphones, lying down and just daydreaming/dozing off.)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    fuuuck that's awesome footage!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Around this time 2 years ago, out of nowhere, NIN announced NTAE, Fragile Deviations 1 and the vinyl reissues.
    I need that feeling back.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @poro765 - For whatever reason, the commercials and trailers for Closure, The Fragile, Things Falling Apart and With Teeth usually do the trick for me when it comes to that feeling you speak of. However, considering all that we've received just from 2013-2018 alone, while also considering all the work that's been done from 2008-2012, it's all absolutely good and positively well from my end.

I still understand what you mean though. It's just a guarantee every single time Nine Inch Nails is about to release something, and it's not just the anticipation. There always seems to be a unique experience and story attached to just about each and every single release, and if not necessary always, at least most of the time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I believe Just Like You Imagined is the greatest instrumental ever created in this world. There are bascially no words to describe it. It's amazing how it has the calmer part, then the pure rage part, with the piano bridging the two. I always picture the violence of nature, or planets colliding for some reason when I listen to it.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    That's kind of how I feel about "The Mark Has Been Made", dude.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I seriously hope that 3D audio effects become more and more of a thing on Nine Inch Nails songs on YouTube. All of them require headphones for the full effect. I was always fascinated with the idea of "getting inside songs" with the sounds going around, in front, behind, above and below me.

There's just so many songs that'll go great with those effects, but for I just found Hurt, Every Day Is Exactly The Same and Only in what they call "8D Audio". And again, it's best to use headphones for this type of thing. (At least for the best results, that is. For me, it's with headphones, lying down and just daydreaming/dozing off.)

Why is it panning from one side to the other over and over? really irritating even though i like the idea. there must be a way to put this to good use. actually metallic spheres did a good job of this

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    Why is it panning from one side to the other over and over? really irritating even though i like the idea. there must be a way to put this to good use. actually metallic spheres did a good job of this
    For some it actually has to do with ASMR, which is very hard to explain anybody that doesn't have it as it goes outside of music, but I have it so it's why it's anything but irritating to me. The only way I can explain it for now is that having ASMR is tantamount to having tingling sensations like goosebumps and pins and needles but mostly located on your scalp as far as the top and back of your head, with it traveling down your back in a pleasurable/soothing way. I have noticed that some of these 8D Audios are just left to right though, but they're also meant to go up and down and behind. If it gets strong enough, sometimes you actually get what seem to be quick jolts of shivers, like brain freeze, but in a pleasure way, which sometimes goes down the spine, or just drift off to sleep.

As for non-ASMR reasons, it's meant to drive around your head as if you're going inside the song itself (Or perhaps say, drive you inside and out of the song, while visiting certain parts of it.), as demonstrated in this video regarding NIN and 3D Audio with The Hand That Feeds. I think it's just that, once they find a certain pattern/route of panning to go by, they stick with it and go by that for the rest of the entire song. I haven't seen any directions going up and down in this video though, but they are most likely programs that do that as well, based on what I've heard.

I also sometimes imagine if these can be used to unlock any more potential ARGs and the clues/hints that go with them. (Or any other potential Easter eggs in general for that matter.)

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-25-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    yeah i don't think it is a bad idea at all and i would like more of it to be used in general, but less gimmicky

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I still felt like these deserved a place in the Random NIN Thoughts thread, especially now that 2018 almost over, with the NIN Spotting 2018 thread about to become locked. As a long-time fan of Super Smash Bros., I was pleasantly surprised to see The Hand That Feeds and Heresy go well with the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate trailer.

(Then again, Nine Inch Nails goes well with a lot of things anyway.)

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-28-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I found this video of Mantra from Sound City: Real to Reel on the YouTube recommendations after I was searching Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails on YouTube. I have a feeling that I saw this before, but forgot about it. Anyway, I always liked seeing Trent Reznor collaborate with Dave Grohl, especially as a fan of Nirvana as well.

Anyway, I also just wanted to say that I simply just enjoy seeing Trent Reznor enjoying himself, as I liked his smile at the end right just before saying sure afterwords.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-30-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So I've missed a lot of activity from the nin-community the past years, and that's fine.

But what the hell is this "Doot" meme and why has it been popping up everywhere for the past weeks?

No long explenations required, just a link to whatever....��

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    So I've missed a lot of activity from the nin-community the past years, and that's fine.

But what the hell is this "Doot" meme and why has it been popping up everywhere for the past weeks?

“Doot” and “deet” are words that sound like generic electronic music noises. Sing doot over and over to the tune of terrible lie and you’ll get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    “Doot” and “deet” are words that sound like generic electronic music noises. Sing doot over and over to the tune of terrible lie and you’ll get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    additionally - https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/skull-trumpet-doot-doot