Page 370 of 528 FirstFirst ... 270 320 360 368 369 370 371 372 380 420 470 ... LastLast
Results 11,071 to 11,100 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think the lack of 'serious' responses to cashpiles' posting kinda proofs its points. But, I believe, it also proofs the power of fandom/the love for something: it's not about searching for flaws or taking a rational look at the subject, but acknowledging the parts that make it special for you, which in most cases is a totally irrational affair.

Thus, if it's dawning on you that something might actually not be that great, because the stuff you could forgive in an earlier time is really buggin' you now, I guess, that's a signal for yourself that you've moved on. In that case to other bands / music. And that's fine. And I think, that's what cashpiles was all about in his posting.

It's happened to me with NIN for the same reasons. I'm still checking for new music though, because for a time in my life this band has been a thrilling part of my life. TR also introduced me to a lot of great bands and music I otherwise would have never / not yet explored. So I'm thankful, but I've moved on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    There is not 1 NIN song from the past 12 years...
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I think the lack of 'serious' responses to cashpiles' posting kinda proofs its points...
    I think the lack of "serious" responses to cashpiles has more to do with the tone of his post, especially the last part, which to me feels quite arrogant.

I agree with some of his thoughts, I find Less Than lacking in many ways too, but to be honest I'm not surprised. NTAE hit me right in the sweet spot, the whole experience was perfect to me, visually and sonically. I loved the fact that there was basically no pop influence in there, since I had enought of that with HM. I love experimental music more than anything, and to me sound design is possibly the best part about music, and as we know TR & AR are masters of sound manipulation (there are many others, don't get me wrong). But we shouldn't forget that NIN is at its core "pop". So in my opinion, being disappointed with Less Than is a classic "high expectations not reached" case, more than anything else.

Also, I think we should consider that TR probably wanted to make a catchy song, simply because he likes making them, and he was driven to make one (ore more, we'll see). Being a creator myself, I can say that it's a common desire to make the next thing you do as far as possible from the last thing you've done, especially when you are a perfectionist (as we all now TR&AR are), since you get sick of your own project by the time you're done with it. This is in fact pretty far from NTAE.

Lastly, I think we should reserve our judgement up until we've heard the whole EP, since a track that is almost 12 minutes long, and described as "self-disintegrating", doesn't sound poppy at all to me, in the best way!

Edit: Worthy of note: the production on this track is not very conventional, especially on guitars, they are definitely louder than they "should" be (and kinda off in a good way), and I like this experimental edge.
    Last edited by Silent_Schema; 07-15-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Genuinely starting to think She's Gone Away was written for Twin Peaks and then they decided to use it on NTAE.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Looking at some of the less than positive feedback on Less Than, it got me wondering, what if Less Than is purposefully thematically developed as Trent addressing the ever disenchanted fans and reviewers. The title pointing to inequality of values, one value not being greater than or equal to the other. Could this be a discussion playing out between Trent and people who feel like nothing post-90s he has done will ever be greater than or equal to the classics of TDS or even TF?

Some lines,

“Shut up, silence,” Trent possibly voicing the negative reaction of people who don’t want quiet or happy nin (Hesitation Marks?), and they don’t want film scores and soundscapes. As well in the chorus the line comes, “Go and look what you gone done, Welcome Oblivion.” Maybe Trent again playing the voice of people dissatisfied with the HTDA project.

“Add a little violence, and offend and pretend and defend and demand my compliance.” Perhaps the cry of those who want the old machine back, the industrial roar and violence. They demand back that guy who made Broken, TDS, or TF, even if it were only “pretend” or an act for him at this point around 20 years later.

His response to these demanding voices could be the chorus, “So what are you waiting for? You got what you asked for. Did it fix what was wrong with you? Are you less than?” Maybe he’s pointing their attention to the recent NTAE EP, which was originally described as unfriendly and fairly impenetrable - a throwback to old nin, and asking them, “Was this fix good enough? Or am I still falling short of expectations? I just gave what you asked for, now what do you want?”

Perhaps after acknowledging the dead end of this path comes the realization, “Needful too many fucking people. You'll have to take care of yourselves, you know I've got my hands full.” Maybe meaning the realization that some just won’t be satisfied, but Trent seems at peace admitting that satisfying everyone can’t be his priority.

I could be way out in leftfield on this.

Edit: This is not intended to discredit or invalidate any personal opinions of the track either positive or negative. It just struck me as an amusing possibility for the track narrative.
    Last edited by Dr Channard; 07-15-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    I just gave what you asked for, now what do you want?”
    More of the unfriendly and impenetrable, please.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    There is not 1 NIN song from the past 12 years that I ever listen to. The Fragile is immature. TDS and With Teeth are the only albums that endure for me. That's where I am in the state of NIN.

Less Than is super generic NIN. This is my opinion. It's just absolutely generic.

Rant over. NIF. Nine Inch Fails.
    If you are trying to be the new Bill Pulsipher, you need to call the backup singers from tension, "gospel singers" than your transformation will be complete

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Schema View Post
    I think the lack of "serious" responses to cashpiles has more to do with the tone of his post, especially the last part, which to me feels quite arrogant
    I just can't handle anything that doesn't support my confirmation bias.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I have a very strong feeling that Trent will be bringing back "Happiness in Slavery" to the setlist this year in some form or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    I'm not sure why you would think that. But I would love that old school chaotic HiS performance.
    My guess would be probably from the title Add Violence itself. Although, as violent as the Broken movie was, there has been violence in other NIN songs/albums/videos. I also know not to count on it, but I'd absolutely love it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Fuckin lolz at that Cashpiles post

Nine Inch Fails

I'm dead..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lately, I begin to think that Hesitation Marks is a conceptual album about cancer, even knowing that Reznor relates it to TDS.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post

^^^^^

Leaked cover art for the spin-off EP Things Failing Apart Trent is planning.

Tracklist:

1. The Frail
    2. Happiness In Failing
    3. I'm Looking Forward to Failing You, Finally
    4. Fail Fuck
    5. We Fail Away (feat. HTDA)

ETS-exclusive download only bonus track:

6. Leaving Hope (Cashpiles' Kiss Off remix)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trento View Post
    Lately, I begin to think that Hesitation Marks is a conceptual album about cancer, even knowing that Reznor relates it to TDS.
    While I'm Still Here/Black Noise has always given me that vibe

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I assumed that the protagonist's attempted suicide from TDS eventually led to his life being much shorter and giving him just few moments to live.

Or maybe it was another suicide, hence the name of the album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Yes, and many others. Eater of Dreams sounds like an hospital device. Lyrics of Everything and In Two could talk openly about cancer. Special mention to anguished sounds like Find My Way and Various Methods of Escape.

If for Reznor the bad part in TDS was the double personality (the protagonist himself), in HM it could be the cancer (the protagonist himself too). Maybe he related both albums in that meaning. Obviously this is just speculation.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    It was great but would have been nice with more NIN stuff considering how integral they were to Interscopes success in the 90s....the special seemed to veer off into the NWA story a little too much in the 1st couple episodes.
    It's not the story of Interscope.

"The Defiant Ones examines the partnership between Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre - one the son of a Brooklyn longshoreman, the other straight out of Compton - and their leading roles in a chain of transformative events in contemporary culture."

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    ^^^^^

Leaked cover art for the spin-off EP Things Failing Apart Trent is planning.

Tracklist:

1. The Frail
    2. Happiness In Failing
    3. I'm Looking Forward to Failing You, Finally
    4. Fail Fuck
    5. We Fail Away (feat. HTDA)

ETS-exclusive download only bonus track:

6. Leaving Hope (Cashpiles' Kiss Off remix)
    this is the correct/actually funny way to do one of these imo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I watched the Twin Peaks performance so much the beginning of the album version (without the TNIN snippet) doesn't sound right anymore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Funny you say that, I fully believe that sounds in The Eater of Dreams are directly influenced by the sound of a MRI/CT scan machine and have thought that since 2014.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, and many others. Eater of Dreams sounds like an hospital device.

Totally didn't see your post before I replied.^

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Today I was listening to All Time Low, thinking I caught everything.

Then I heard thing I haven't before, after (and during) "HEY EVERYTHING IS NOT OKAY!" you can hear, I think in the right channel singing the same lyrics monotonely, in the background muffled.

Cool creepy detail. Just when you think you caught everything.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Here's a recently uploaded video of Trent talking about a few of his favourite songs and music videos as the guest programmer of Rage, an Australian music video show, back in 2000. Pretty intriguing to hear his thoughts on the music that's influenced him.
    Pretty sure it's from ITW essentials... along with the french one tht i restranscripted here.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yup, I noticed that probably last year. Hadn't heard it for the first couple of years that I owned the album. I always love finding stuff like that.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I I think it would be pretty dope if Trent incorporated VR in this cycle somewhere. I wish he would just shove a 360 camera on the rail of tomorrow's show and then just release it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Tweet from BBC6music about listening tomorrow to be the first to hear a brand new track - but do they mean another one or this is the place? I don't want to hear most of the EP before Friday either
    https://twitter.com/bbc6music/status/887735313807880193
    Nice. So that will be around 4 am our time! Can't wait.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Pretty sure it's from ITW essentials... along with the french one tht i restranscripted here.
    This is a completely different show

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    How on earth have people managed to avoid show spoilers for months during tours? I've never tried to go blind before and now less than a day has gone by and I'm already antsy.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    How on earth have people managed to avoid show spoilers for months during tours? I've never tried to go blind before and now less than a day has gone by and I'm already antsy.
    Yeah I can't avoid it. I woke up at 5am for some reason, grabbed my phone and checked the setlist.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    In 2009, I sort of took a break from all online stuff. That's the only way I managed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fuck now that The Background World is abbreviated TBW I can't help but think people are referencing me.

(Or that maybe I really am part of the ARG, and I've become self aware)
    Edit: To make it more weirdly awesome, the 24 Bit WAV download folder for Add Violence was modified/created on my birthday.
    Last edited by _T_B_W_; 07-20-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _T_B_W_ View Post
    Fuck now that The Background World is abbreviated TBW I can't help but think people are referencing me.
    Fess up now: you were TR's inspiration for the song, yes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    Fess up now: you were TR's inspiration for the song, yes?
    Not true