Page 22 of 110 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    they should have included the extended "Package." would've made more sense. i bet W&P and "The Noose" are taken exactly from 13 (instead of doing something different from the album and not having the segue between them).

it's sad how... corporate this release is. you'd figure the band would at least shake up the tracklist or offer rarities like "Sleeping Beauty" with the full intro or older live recordings of cool shit. instead the extended release runs like 40-50 minutes per disc and has... "Rose?" seriously?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @seasonsinthesky , have you seen how fucking corporate the nirvana box is? it's PAINFULLY bad. Two versions of in utero that are only slightly different, a live dvd, and the fucking SOUNDTRACK of said dvd...for $149. And most of the "bonus tracks" are just songs from in utero with no vocals. Holy fuck! Kurt is rolling in his grave.

Back on topic: good god, i fucking love a perfect circle...especially Mer De Noms. It's like a love cycle, i think. and it IS perfect. good god they were bad ass.
    When that album came out, i listened to it over and over for like 3 months, and listened to nothing else.
    i even had a cat named Brenya. (idk how to type the accent over the n)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @seasonsinthesky , have you seen how fucking corporate the nirvana box is? it's PAINFULLY bad. Two versions of in utero that are only slightly different, a live dvd, and the fucking SOUNDTRACK of said dvd...for $149. And most of the "bonus tracks" are just songs from in utero with no vocals. Holy fuck! Kurt is rolling in his grave.
    These are my thoughts pretty much exactly. I've seen far worse "best of" collections. And box sets that contain exactly zero exclusive or new material.

Back on topic: good god, i fucking love a perfect circle...especially Mer De Noms. It's like a love cycle, i think. and it IS perfect. good god they were bad ass.
    When that album came out, i listened to it over and over for like 3 months, and listened to nothing else.
    i even had a cat named Brenya. (idk how to type the accent over the n)
    This is how I felt about MDN, Thirteenth Step, and even eMOTIVe. I've just never felt let down by APC.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm really excited for the Live boxset (well, digital collection). Out of the three albums, I'm (oddly enough) looking foward to Emotive Live the most. After hearing the live versions of Annihilation, People are People and Counting Bodies, I believe it will be the most interesting to hear.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    @seasonsinthesky, have you seen how fucking corporate the nirvana box is? it's PAINFULLY bad. Two versions of in utero that are only slightly different, a live dvd, and the fucking SOUNDTRACK of said dvd...for $149. And most of the "bonus tracks" are just songs from in utero with no vocals. Holy fuck! Kurt is rolling in his grave.
    seems like Nirvana hasn't been getting much of a good deal out of anything, really — the Nevermind re-release wasn't overly spectacular in terms of content and was squashed up against the digital ceiling; and let's not forget the horrible gargantuan best-of boxset full of boombox demos that was also regurgitated into a 'best of the box!' iteration for... no particular reason other than moneymaking. (i tried the alternate In Utero mix and i still hate the whole damn thing except the big single. woops.)

at least the APC box will have the alternate "3 Libras" version and the "Diarrhea of a Madman" cover combo in good quality.

did anyone attend those album shows? did the band play the full-band arrangements of "Renholdėr" and "Over?" and did they extend the bridge in "Thomas?" and did they play the version of "The Nurse Who Loved Me" that more closely resembles the Failure original?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

By the way, it's pretty much confirmed that the "live 2004" thing is a typo.

jaimie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post

did anyone attend those album shows? did the band play the full-band arrangements of "Renholdėr" and "Over?" and did they extend the bridge in "Thomas?" and did they play the version of "The Nurse Who Loved Me" that more closely resembles the Failure original?
    They played the live versions of Renholder and Over from the 2001 tour (with Billy doing live vocals on Renholder), Thomas was NOT extended unfortunately (Orestes was though) and Nurse was the live version that they did in 2004.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Edit: Scratch that, I'm bad at reading. But it's a pretty good recording, regardless!
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 10-23-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimie View Post
    They played the live versions of Renholder and Over from the 2001 tour (with Billy doing live vocals on Renholder), Thomas was NOT extended unfortunately (Orestes was though) and Nurse was the live version that they did in 2004.
    woohoo! thanks jaimie. those are pretty much the reasons i want to hear/see these. sucks that they left "Thomas" alone, though... it was always so much more interesting with the buildup drawn out. the studio version is too.. concise? for the progressive/non-linear feel of the song.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @seasonsinthesky, i LOVED Mer De Noms. To me, it is "the perfect circle" that the band name describes...a relationship cycle. Billy, i think it was, claimed that it meant a circle of friends, but i call bullshit.
    Thirteenth Step...i was there to get it the day it came out, and i couldn't believe how different it was. These guys showed that they could shift gears and make amazing music in a wide range of styles.
    eMotive was the one that didn't get quite as much time in my cd player. it's REALLY fucking good, but it's just not as good as the other two...and i THINK it's because it's almost all cover songs.
    But i agree with you, they rarely disappoint.
    I guess my only beef is i miss the original lineup. But who wouldn't miss Paz? And you can't beat Josh on drums.
    I'm glad they got rid of Twigg..er..Jeordie. He is a shitty bass player who gets a free pass into great bands because he played with Manson.

Did you ever catch any APC shows? i saw them twice...once supporting MDN, where they played most of the album, which was AWESOME, and once in 2000 or so when they opened for none other than Teitan and Co. supporting The Fragile.
    Now THAT was a hell of a show!

Edit: Oh yeah, and you are right...that last NirVarna box set was PRETTY much un-fucking-listenable. I'm just glad that the internet allows us to preview things like that in this day and age...thank GOD i didn't buy that!
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-24-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i think my love for the band is basically focused on the 2001 tour. all those alternate versions are so good, and they were playing "Vacant" before it was poppified into "Passive," and they were friggin' playing a Massive Attack remix of their own song live. it's like there was no ceiling on this band. i think 13 just solidified that... but with the tour for that record, there was some sort of decline occurring that has continued. for my interest level, anyway.

jaimie Guest
    i think my love for the band is basically focused on the 2001 tour. all those alternate versions are so good, and they were playing "Vacant" before it was poppified into "Passive," and they were friggin' playing a Massive Attack remix of their own song live. it's like there was no ceiling on this band. i think 13 just solidified that... but with the tour for that record, there was some sort of decline occurring that has continued. for my interest level, anyway.
    Haha that Massive Attack remix is the remix everyone bitched about last tour (and 3/4 of the 2010 tour). I will be curious to see which they use for the box set since they only played the original 3 Libras in Arizona and Los Angeles.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    It was with The Outsider video that everything went shitty, so that makes sense.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

The Outsider video was hilariously refreshing. The band wasn't happy with any of the "serious" treatments being offered up (they found them too depressing) so they did something off the wall and bizarre.

Better than a retread of the Judith video or an angstier version of 3 Libras, IMO.

Although I'll admit that all the other music videos are masterpieces. The Outsider is just a different beast.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Was the Thinking of You video made before or after The Outsider?
    Last edited by PhoenixML; 10-25-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm glad they got rid of Twigg..er..Jeordie. He is a shitty bass player who gets a free pass into great bands because he played with Manson.
    Disagree, he's a very good bass player, (shitty guitar player though). Matt McJunkins is ok though. Who really cares. It's Billy and Maynard who make APC anyway.
    Last edited by voidnz; 10-24-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Was the Thinking of You videp made before or after The Outsider?

Also, am I the only that doesn't enjoy Thomas or Slepong Beauty?
    I don't consider Thinking of You an APC video. I think of it more as a Bikini Bandits video that uses Thinking of You as a soundtrack.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It makes sense.

I have another question : was the Paz's version of Hollow made before or after the cd version? (regarding Billy's original intention to have a female for the lead vocals)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: A Perfect Circle

It makes sense.

I have another question : was the Paz's version of Hollow made before or after the cd version? (regarding Billy's original intention to have a female for the lead vocals)
    After. Maynard wrote all the lyrics, Billy wrote all the music on Mer de Noms.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

For those interested, samples of the live material on the 360 (Deluxe) preorder are available on iTunes. Sounds like it's the earlier "Turn The Page" version of Fiddle and the Drum.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: A Perfect Circle

Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    For those interested, samples of the live material on the 360 (Deluxe) preorder are available on iTunes. Sounds like it's the earlier "Turn The Page" version of Fiddle and the Drum.
    It's a little annoying that the 3 Libras isn't listed as the live remix. Even the setlists from back then said "3 Libras Remix." Oh well small gripe.

jaimie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    It's a little annoying that the 3 Libras isn't listed as the live remix. Even the setlists from back then said "3 Libras Remix." Oh well small gripe.
    Yeah that is annoying. I kind of figured it would be the remix though considering the probable reason they stopped playing the original was because it didn't sound that great so it's unlikely either of the recordings turned out well.

jaimie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Judging by the FUUUUCK YEEEEAH bro I believe this is from San Francisco.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

I'm assuming the versions on 360 will be the same as the live albums. But I kinda hope not.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Weak and powerless Live From Stone and Echo

http://www.purevolume.com/news/PREMI...e-at-Red-Rocks

jaimie Guest
    Rolling Stone interview with Billy : http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...rcise-20131029

"I did a little piece for some publication, to give a two-minute synopsis of the
    song and the memories of it, and it forced me to go back and listen to some of
    these studio recordings, which I really haven't done much."
    If somebody locates that please for the love of god let me know
    Last edited by jaimie; 10-29-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This was the most interesting part of the Rolling Stone interview to me:

How's the new Ashes Divide record coming along?
    I've been writing it for a while. I've realized I was really writing the next APC record when I was writing this Ashes record, and I was struggling with the vocals on it. I think that it just occurred to me about six months ago that this was the case. So just in August of this year, I really started ripping it apart and just writing new songs.

Does this basically mean he's written music for a new APC record while working on Ashes Divide? I mean I know he sent some stuff to Maynard, but this sounds like he sent more than just noodling, like he's written a substantial amount.

Last edited by The Doctor; 10-29-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    This was the most interesting part of the Rolling Stone interview to me:

Does this basically mean he's written music for a new APC record while working on Ashes Divide? I mean I know he sent some stuff to Maynard, but this sounds like he sent more than just noodling, like he's written a substantial amount.

A couple of years ago Billy told in another interview that basically, Maynard chooses which is going to be an APC song and the rest would eventually be Ashes Divide songs. (the link might still exists in this thread)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

Weak and powerless Live From Stone and Echo

http://www.purevolume.com/news/PREMI...e-at-Red-Rocks
    Agh I can't listen to this on my iPhone. Frustrating.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A Perfect Circle

I just wanna double post to say that that live version of W&P is fantastic. Great mix (drums are a little loud but he's killing it) and finally a version that's properly mastered. Stone And Echo sounds like it's going to be great.