Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
China's way of enforcing laws in general is far different than the U.S. Comparing an authoritarian regime with a democratic country isn't the best way to make your point. I'm sure drug enforcement is also much more severe in China.
That is EXACTLY my point. Without lots of human rights violations (as mentioned in my first post) and government oppression we won't see effective gun prohibition in the USA. I don't think a single person asking for gun prohibition in the USA is ready to say that we need that level of enforcement

I understand that if someone wants to buy a gun badly enough they'll find a way, but limiting ways for mentally unstable people to get a hold of weapons will go a long way to ensure acts of mass murder don't happen as frequently as they are occurring now. I'm fine with people having a six-shooter at home to protect themselves or someone having a hunting rifle for sport. On the other hand, assault rifles and high-capacity magazines serve no purpose in everyday life - it's meant for the battlefield. When the 2nd amendment was made they didn't have guns that enabled a single person to inflict mass casualties in a matter of seconds; not every right given in the 1700's should be applied verbatim in 2012.
You are back to talking about control, not prohibition. My comment applies only to prohibition.