Thread: The Smiths/Morrissey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    I've been into this dude's music since the '90s. I went through a trainspotter phase where I read every interview, heard every b-side and demo, knew the names of all the past and present band members, and speculated on the state of Morrissey's love life. Since around the time of theYears of Refusal tour, it's become so embarrassing to be his fan. The histrionic open letters, the turn for the radical that his animal rights activism has taken, the diva antics (such as barring David Tseng, operator of a Morrissey fansite, from all future Morrissey shows) and botched reissues, it's all too much. Oh, and his flirtation with Catholicism, which has become quite pronounced in the last five years. The body of work that he's left behind is incredible, and contains surprisingly few missteps for an artist so erratic, but I do hope he recedes from the public eye before he scares all his remaining fans off.
    My thoughts exactly. He has mentioned that he wants to be retired by age 55, so maybe he'll bow out before things can get much worse. I'll always love his back catalog and the person he was in the past, but modern Morrissey is highly disappointing.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Got mine today. PM me if anyone needs anything.

...also finally got this since looking for it since 2006!