Page 141 of 353 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 191 241 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 10579

Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    carly rae jepsen, emotion.

believe it. leave your hang-ups at the door and remember that music *can* be fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

As good as it gets.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    As a 80's synth fanboy and a ridiculously huge Mortal Kombat nerd (who's even part of a podcast), frigging thank you for bringing this to my attention.

This is like I just found a pile of cash that just so happens to be extremely fuckable or something.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    As a 80's synth fanboy and a ridiculously huge Mortal Kombat nerd (who's even part of a podcast), frigging thank you for bringing this to my attention.

This is like I just found a pile of cash that just so happens to be extremely fuckable or something.
    Ha, no problemo! Please, link me to your podcast!

And now for something completely different...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    We're called The NetherKast, and we're basically a bunch of guys who've been fans since the arcade days who just sort of shoot the shit about any and all aspects of the franchise; story stuff, competitive stuff, etc. Last week we all watched MK Annihilation and did partially drunken commentary.

On topic:

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Its that time of the year when I choose to listen to Jazz and instrumentals.
    I love this album so much.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    the new Majical Cloudz (sp?) album, Are You Alone, is really interesting. Super minimal, relentlessly sad, but in a way that seems interested in exploring how downtempo, sullen lyrics can become both a reminder of how miserable you feel, while also subversively injecting you with happier feelings. Really interesting album.

I really like the random moments in the title track where they use the lyrics to Radiohead's most iconic "sad" song... and in a way they make fun of it while admitting that they were affected by it, and it becomes this sardonic form of relating the sadness.... and all the while it sounds like a weird hypnotic lullaby, name-dropping obscure drugs, famous sad songs, consciously identifying the intent behind music that sounds upset, and melodramatic gestures which feel both real and, and while juxtaposed with the overriding concept are rendered self-referential. It's like a blunted and more subdued version of when you'd see Ween making songs that made you wonder if they were confiding in you are making fun of you for thinking they'd do something that fucking stupid.

but Are You Alone? isn't playing its cards as close. It's a truly great example of when a musician knows how to keep their distance from the listener.
    Bit late, but thanks for this. Listened to it on your recommendation and have become hooked. "Game Show" is a song of the year candidate for me.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Forgot how much i used to enjoy this one...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    robert johnson. best when tanked on whiskey.

Last edited by ldopa; 11-08-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Allen and Natasha worked on this record. :')

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Allen and Natasha worked on this record. :')
    R.I.P. Natasha, she was awesome with QUOTSA as well...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    "swimming pools" by kendrick lamar. easily my favorite hip hop song ever.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    after stone sour's gimmie shelter, sia's 'alive' was an option, so that's what i'm listening to. don't know much of her stuff, she seems good though.

i remember seeing her on SNL last night, i liked the song alot.
    Last edited by ldopa; 11-09-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i had no idea stone sour covered my favorite stones song. also, i hate myself for falling asleep before setting my dvr to record snl on saturday, even though i hated them for letting that piece of shit host.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    trump and comedy never mix, unless you're laughing AT him.

i'm still following a sia trail, and i'm digging this bitch. her voice reminds me of amy winehouse and rhianna in a way, but her musical composition is all over the place and she has a broad pallet in that sense. pretty cool.

i'm particularly fond of her piano versions. just her voice and a piano. she's got a beautiful fucking voice.
    Last edited by ldopa; 11-09-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

can't wait for his new special this weekend!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    trump and comedy never mix, unless you're laughing AT him.

i'm still following a sia trail, and i'm digging this bitch. her voice reminds me of amy winehouse and rhianna in a way, but her musical composition is all over the place and she has a broad pallet in that sense. pretty cool.

i'm particularly fond of her piano versions. just her voice and a piano. she's got a beautiful fucking voice.
    Have you checked out her early albums? They're great. 'Some People Have Real Problems' is probably my favourite.

It's taken her six albums to gain a wide audience but she has a lot of great stuff in her back catalogue.
    Last edited by Dream; 11-11-2015 at 04:31 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i'm attached to 'colour the small one'
    i'm listening to it now.

edit: i'm more than attached, i'm fucking sprung.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The fine folks here at Echoingthesound have recently introduced me to Meg Myers and K.Flay, I only like a few songs from each and want to make an "Angry Chick Mix". Any other female vocal bands that are dark/angry with electronic/metal elements? Some of my favs are: Nocturne/Lacey Conner's Halo, Android Lust, Dresden Dolls/Amanda Palmer, Bjork & Die Antwoord. Thanks!
    Last edited by fishtifer; 11-11-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Gotta say: it's better than i remember...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Looked into the Rykodisc version of this, as well as Low and Heroes' Au20 versions and have come to the realization I have been listening to these wrong for years. The 1999 masters are botch jobs.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Looked into the Rykodisc version of this, as well as Low and Heroes' Au20 versions and have come to the realization I have been listening to these wrong for years. The 1999 masters are botch jobs.
    could you elaborate? i have a bunch of the 1999 remasters.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    yeah, me too...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Basically, Rykodisc did an 'Au20' series of a bunch of Bowie's albums back in 1996 geared towards audiophiles. Over the past few months I've been idly salivating over that Five Years boxset and in researching its contents found that there's a long history of dissatisfaction with the sound of Bowie's catalogue on CD, notably with a number of folks even preferring the original mid-80's RCA discs, to the extent that that particular mastering of Station To Station was included as one of the featured discs on that insane super deluxe $300 edition a while back. So I'm doing some digging to see how his albums feel on prior masters.

I'm not one of those who squints at waveforms or anything, and it really does boil down to how one enjoys hearing their music - but after going through even the Rykodisc version of Scary Monsters (which was not even part of the Au series), I find that there's just so much more space between the instruments and I feel like they're better defined (strumming in Scary Monsters' title track as one example), that there's a much fuller sound. There are whole instruments and details through the whole of Low I don't remember hearing; Subterraneans in particular sounds just sounds like it has more layers to it. I'd say after listening to these they really focused on making everything sort of louder and punchier for the 1999 masters.