Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
9 is much more accessible in my opinion. I grew up playing all of these games as they released, with 7 being my favorite. 12 is such an underrated addition to the series and was almost forgotten at times due to the awkward release it had at the end of the PS2's life cycle. I rememeber the illusion maze making me want to quit the game all together, rage quitting numerous times.

Those are really good choices, but 6 is also a great entry as well.
Thanks. Yes I've been a Final Fantasy fan since the SNES days, and 6 is actually one of my favorite games of all time, having had at least 2-3 100+ hour playthroughs. I just fell off after 7 and am trying to catch up little by little. Here's my experience with the games:

FFI: Played back in the day, but was too young and too hard, replayed it all the way through on GBA 'Dawn of Souls' version, loved it.
FFII: Played for first time in the GBA 'Dawn of Souls' version, loved it tho a little different
FFIII: Only played the 3D version on DS. Played up until final boss, got creamed, read that I had to have certain party config and jobs that would takes dozes of hours more grinding, put it down and never played again, content I had done most of it.
FFIV: played on SNES back in the day but never finished, played 3D version on DS LOVED IT.
FFV: Played GBA version, enjoyed it but never completed
FFVI: Played on SNES, GBA, SNES classic, all-time favorite
FFVII: Played on OG PlayStation when released, haven't played since
FFVIII: Never played
FFIX: Never played, just started on Switch
FFX: Played a little on PS2, life got busy and never returned
FFX-2: Never played
FFXI: Never played
FFXII: Never played
FFXIII: Played for ~5 hours when released, got bored, never picked up again, never touched the sequels
FFXIV: Never played, still want to, hoping for XBOX One or Switch release
FFXV: Never played, sitting on shelf, will play one day, haha

When you're an adult with a full-time job and a toddler, finding game time is hard. But I played Octopath for ~110 hours b/w release and last week and am ready to move on to a new game. 9 seems fun and traditional FF so far, looking forward to diving deeper.