Thread: The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm just thankful for this place being the one few areas of life where I can open up about stuff like this, since I'm forced to keep it to myself in real life. People are quick to tell me to get therapy or professional help. (Not that it's wrong, but I've been to counseling and therapy so many times in my earlier years. I'm tired of it.) And yes, I seem write better than I speak too.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    People are quick to tell me to get therapy or professional help. (Not that it's wrong, but I've been to counseling and therapy so many times in my earlier years. I'm tired of it.) And yes, I seem write better than I speak too.
    Talking obviously has benefits or this thread wouldn't exist, but IMO sitting down with a therapist is a waste of money if you have a decent amount of self-awareness, and it seems like you do. But have you ever worked with a psychiatrist? Even if the drugs are more art than science, at least the results are visible* and repeatable on short timescales. It can be discouraging at times, but I think perfectionism is an advantage here — as long as you don't give up too easily.

I've got a great working relationship with my psychiatrist. He makes good suggestions but trusts me to (usually) know what's going on in my head better than anyone else could. There's never any question that I'm the driver.

* If I'd known how visible, I would have started a lot sooner. A real eye-opener.