Thread: Vinyl Rereleases December 2016 (Broken, TDS, TF)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    If you don't want to spend lots of money, AT-LP60 is THE answer. Everyone starts with Audio Technica.
    Now I own Sony ps-hx500 and I'm really content with it. If $500 isn't way out of your budget I recommend it without hesitation.
    Save a little more money and at least get the AT-LP120. The AT-LP60 is automatic and is missing have some features that help you not destroy your vinyl.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minarets77 View Post
    Save a little more money and at least get the AT-LP120. The AT-LP60 is automatic and is missing have some features that help you not destroy your vinyl.
    Well, it has a less balanced tonearm, compared to the LP120... whether that will 'destroy' vinyl or not is a matter of debate. I agree that the LP120 is a better choice for various reasons but I don't think it not being automatic has anything to do with this. An automatic turntable for beginners is actually ideal IMO, but they are both good starter tables.
    Last edited by botley; 10-23-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Well, it has a less balanced tonearm, compared to the LP120... whether that will 'destroy' vinyl or not is a matter of debate.
    "destroy" is probably overstating it but not being able to balance the tonearm can cause groove wear over time, which is undesirable (i know you know this, I am just stating it for the peeps new to vinyl).

automatic = hope you like every song on every side!

manual - you can drop the needle with your hand (manually)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    "destroy" is probably overstating it but not being able to balance the tonearm can cause groove wear over time, which is undesirable (i know you know this, I am just stating it for the peeps new to vinyl).

If that's the only difference, it's no big deal to me because I would mostly buy vinyls of albums I really care about start to finish.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    If that's the only difference, it's no big deal to me because I would mostly buy vinyls of albums I really care about start to finish.
    the big thing with automatic vs. manual is more like

automatic = the side ended, cool. i'll get to it when i can to play the next side.

manual = OH SHIT THE SIDE ENDED AND MY HANDS ARE WET AND SOAPY FROM DOING DISHES FUUUUUUUUUUCK

at least that's what happens to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the big thing with automatic vs. manual is more like

automatic = the side ended, cool. i'll get to it when i can to play the next side.

manual = OH SHIT THE SIDE ENDED AND MY HANDS ARE WET AND SOAPY FROM DOING DISHES FUUUUUUUUUUCK

at least that's what happens to me
    It’s all about letting it ride that label inner groove for 5 straight minutes...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It’s all about letting it ride that label inner groove for 5 straight minutes...

So thaaat's what is going on at the end of The Background World.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Um, you can do that with automatic tonearms too. To cue up a song, you start the motor then raise the tonearm by depressing the button next to "stop" while you put it in the right spot, and then slowly lower the needle by gently letting it go. Trust me, I was raised on playing records in an automatic changer and I know all their dirty tricks!

Stack up those double live albums with sides 1 & 4 on the first LP and 2 & 3 on the second... smoke a doob, and turn the whole stack over when it's at the end of side two! (please don't do this, as it's v. bad for the records)
    Last edited by botley; 10-23-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Um, you can do that with automatic tonearms too. To cue up a song, you start the motor then raise the tonearm by depressing the button next to "stop" while you put it in the right spot, and then slowly lower the needle by gently letting it go. Trust me, I was raised on playing records in an automatic changer and I know all their dirty tricks!

Stack up those double live albums with sides 1 & 4 on the first LP and 2 & 3 on the second... smoke a doob, and turn the whole stack over when it's at the end of side two! (please don't do this, as it's v. bad for the records)
    So with an automatic I can still hear the secret track on Disco Volabte?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So with an automatic I can still hear the secret track on Disco Volabte?
    Did you have a stroke in the middle of typing that last word, or is this something I should have heard of before?

EDIT: I assume you mean the "secret song" on this? All that an automatic turntable does is lift the tonearm for you. It should still play everything back just the same as a manual turntable does, including double-groove records like that one or Tool's Opiate.
    Last edited by botley; 10-23-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Did you have a stroke in the middle of typing that last word, or is this something I should have heard of before?

EDIT: I assume you mean the "secret song" on this? All that an automatic turntable does is lift the tonearm for you. It should still play everything back just the same as a manual turntable does, including double-groove records like that one or Tool's Opiate.
    The N is next to the B. Simple typo.

The secret song requires you to place the needle on a different groove. If a fully automatic turntable didn't allow you to do anything as an earlier poster implied, it would be impossible to listen to.