Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Rap Music

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    (sadly, they used historically inauthentic LED lighting fixtures for the big stage performance scenes).
    i didn't catch that- I saw standard "wall of bulbs" against the back of the stage.

One inacuracy I caught was during the open scene of 1986 Eazy- his vintage Chicago White Sox hat. Pretty sure the Sox didn't have that merchandise until very late 80's or 1990, could be wrong though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I was reading that Compton (the album) had been streamed 25 million times in its first week. Also that the album sold half a million downloads through iTunes. If accurate, that seems like a solid debut. I like the album, but I still refuse to buy it unless I can get it as a CD.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    After listening to it for awhile now, Compton has grown on me a lot. I'm not sure why, but it took me a little bit to get used to the vocals. They sounded weird to me for some reason when I first heard the album. I got over that, and I've come to enjoy a lot of the features on the album. Kendrick Lamar crushes it on all of the songs he appears in. I don't really listen to The Game, but I really liked his performance on 'Just Another Day'.

The only songs I'm 'meh' about are 'Issues', 'For the Love of Money', and 'Animals'.

It's a shame this is Dre's last album.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Two new songs from MF DOOM. One with Ghostface and the other with Madlib (essentially a new Madvillain song):

DOOMSTARKS - Lively Hood
    https://soundcloud.com/adultswimsingles/doomstarks

MED/Blu/Madlib - Knock Knock (feat. MF DOOM)
    https://soundcloud.com/rappcats/knock-knock

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Run The Jewels - Meow The Jewels is out not for free!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Any thoughts on the new Public Enemy?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Public Enemies Man Plans God Laughs is a really great album but its too short. I wish the songs were a bit longer since it leaves me wanting more.
    To me its the surprise album of the year since I had no idea Chuck D released the album.
    I only found out that Public Enemy had a new album through R.A. The Rugged Mans constant Facebook updates.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    Public Enemies Man Plans God Laughs is a really great album but its too short. I wish the songs were a bit longer since it leaves me wanting more.
    To me its the surprise album of the year since I had no idea Chuck D released the album.
    I only found out that Public Enemy had a new album through R.A. The Rugged Mans constant Facebook updates.
    PE releases new music every few years, but they get very little publicity for some reason. Kanye West releases a new album and you never hear the end of it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've always felt it was mainly The Bomb Squad's production that made early PE so good. Everything after just hasn't really done anything for me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I am surprised how much I like the new Game album. I never thought much of him as a rapper. His voice is cool but his lyrics never transcended very high and he would constantly name drop. It's as if he heard the Kendrick album, and the Compton album and thought.... Maybe I should do it like that. Whatever he did, it worked because it is good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Holy crap this is so good.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

What's everyone think of the new Drake LP??

This thing is soooooo long but it's really REALLY good. Surprisingly not anywhere near as much filler as you'd expect with a nearly 90 minute album. The track with Future is straight heat, tho.

Honestly between Drake, Bey, Kanye, and Kendrick all putting out fantastic records in just the first FOUR(!!!) months of the year, this is shaping up to be one of the strongest years for hip hip and R&B in a looong time.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yeah I had the same reaction. For such a long album there's not really any filler. I'm digging it a lot.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

watching this at work tomorrow. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that an hour long Drake/Nardwuar interview will be fucking gold. They're like bff at this point.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

watching this at work tomorrow. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that an hour long Drake/Nardwuar interview will be fucking gold. They're like bff at this point.
    I didn't think I'd be get through the whole thing, but I did and it's great. Drake seems like one of the nicest/coolest dudes and you can tell how much he admires and respects what the Nard-dog does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Combo of 3 things I love... Portishead, Donald Glover and Mobb Deep

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

This is really good.

EDIT: I actually only listened to this one like 3 times. Totally different story with Outkast's Atliens. Incredible album.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 01-13-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Final Tribe album leaked

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    After removing Wheels of Steel, Outkast's Atliens is not only one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time, but also a classic album, period. Love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    EL-P, Killer Mike, and Run the Jewels. Diggin this shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I highly suggest EL-P and Killer Mike.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I could count the number of "hip-hop artists" in the modern day that I actually give a fuck about on one hand. Kendrick, Joey Badass, Freddie Gibbs, maybe a few others. Everything today gets compared to the 90s scene I grew up on and very few can even approach the level of talent the 90s generation routinely displayed.
    You mean to tell me that you think that this

Is better than this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I heard flyentology years ago. But have not really checked him out till now. Its almost like rap over reznor type beats, mixed with D12.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Yachty is alright. I haven't heard a whole lot of his stuff and that song you posted doesn't really do anything for me, but its by no means the worst thing out there today.

To be fair, I've never been much of a Fat Joe fan. I have his first two records and they're both underground classics, but the video you posted is from his third record, when he started sounding way too commercialized and studio-fabricated. I didn't care for that song at the time and it does nothing for me now. No grit or rawness to it; he's just tailgating with Puffy and Mase in the late-90s at that point.

But if we're talking about Jealous One's Envy-era Joe, then yea...he's killing Yachty and pretty much everything else I'm hearing today, save for Kendrick..
    Im not a real Joe fan outside of tunes he's a guest on. I really like that song because of Nas, Pun and Raekwon being on it. Apparently Nas rewrote his verse after hearing Pun. Most Joe verses Im familiar with are from DITC. Such as this gem... although Big L always stole the show. hmm Big L and all that could have been.

Shit is real, I used to steal but now own several businesses.
    I dont know why but that line makes me chuckle every time.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Did anyone ever like Chamillionaire?

I kinda miss that guy, his time has certainly come and gone but damn you could not question the way that guy could ride a beat. Incredible flow! Always enjoyed listening to him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Pretty creative. Some lost in La Mancha shit

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

R.I.P.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Opinions on Cardi B? I think she's a talented rapper, but I don't like Bodak Yellow, it sounds to me like a rip off of Rihanna's Pour It Up.

here you can more clearly here her rhyming skills

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    she is friends with many of the DJ's and air talent on my station, Hot 97. She's been in and out of here for years now, so I'm very happy for her to finally break through. No one thought it would be this big though! She's very nice and has worked hard to get here. I hated Bodak at first, but came to really love it, part. each time the beat drops and she goes harder with her verses. She's not MC Lyte or Nas, but she does this current form of rap well for what it is.