Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Oh god! What the hell happened in the 90s? How did the baton start with Nirvana, AIC, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and NIN… and end with Limp Bizkit, Korn, Kid Rock, Creed, and Linkin Park? Seriously, what the fuck? Uuughh, my head…

I’ll never forgive music for this.
    Did you like the emo revolution better? Nu metal was the last heavy stuff that had immense mainstream success, now you can't even reach the charts unless you are an already established name in the business.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    lgbt to lgbtqia2, it's evolving. and it's not a "liberal fight". it's common decency, but this is the wrong thread and i digress.

i will say i admire the diversity in your playlist(s). and in all fairness, i've tapped my middle-aged toes to "bleed it out" a time or two.
    I would've smashed my head into the keyboard to make some random lbghjthjhqf stuff, but did not want to offend anyone. So I tried to do my homework, but my basic search engine is Bing (do not even ask, long fucking story....) which fucked me over.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I would've smashed my head into the keyboard to make some random lbghjthjhqf stuff, but did not want to offend anyone.
    huh? bing's fault? okay, bro.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Nu metal was the last heavy stuff that had immense mainstream success, now you can't even reach the charts unless you are an already established name in the business.
    Deafheaven's last album debuted in the Billboard top 100.

Also, Linkin Park wasn't/isn't "heavy."

And thank you, owning your idiocity is most welcomed. =)
    Keep telling yourself that you "owned" people, despite looking like a goddamn moron.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-16-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    huh? bing's fault? okay, bro.
    Yep, google a million times better. I remember, I once typed in "In Flames Wikipedia" and the first result was the wikipedia article of Flame. The band's wiki article did not even come up on the first page.

Sure, it's my fault for getting used to rely on google that when I'm not 100% sure about something, I just type it in, and google comes up with the good result.

But I see you are deeply investing in the matter, despite it being completely understandable within the context. Keep fighting the good fight Jesus, thin-skinned men here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Deafheaven's last album debuted in the Billboard top 100.

Also, Linkin Park wasn't/isn't "heavy."

Keep telling yourself that you "owned" people, despite looking like a goddamn moron.
    Damn, they CAN get on the charts then. I'm sure Deafheaven is the new shit in high-schools now. Oh, wait.

And yep, your "I don't have to mention the most commercially successfull metal bands int he early 2000!" ass got owned, deal with it. Or cry about it, whichever, I enjoy both.

And yep, it was heavy in the area dominated by commercial stars. As much as we were all praying for Cannibal Corpse for topping the charts, it was impossible.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)

Damn, they CAN get on the charts then.
    Yes, they can.

I'm sure Deafheaven is the new shit in high-schools now. Oh, wait.
    Yes, wait. I don't know or care what the fuck is the "new shit in high school now." When I was in high school, the most popular band was probably Blink 182. I didn't give a fuck then and I don't now. I'm incredibly sorry that you do.

And yep, your "I don't have to mention the most commercially successfull metal bands int he early 2000!" ass got owned, deal with it.
    I don't though. You don't understand why I don't HAVE to mention them. That's your fucking problem, dumbass.

Or cry about it, whichever, I enjoy both.
    I'm laughing at you. You think you're looking awesome right now, but you're actually Krusty the clown doing stand up.

I'm embarrassed for you.

And yep, it was heavy in the area dominated by commercial stars. As much as we were all praying for Cannibal Corpse for topping the charts, it was impossible.
    Pantera's album Far Beyond Driven debuted at number one. Just quit while you're behind.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yes, they can.

Yes, wait. I don't know or care what the fuck is the "new shit in high school now." When I was in high school, the most popular band was probably Blink 182. I didn't give a fuck then and I don't now. I'm incredibly sorry that you do.

I don't though. You don't understand why I don't HAVE to mention them. That's your fucking problem, dumbass.

I'm laughing at you. You think you're looking awesome right now, but you're actually Krusty the clown doing stand up.

I'm embarrassed for you.

Pantera's album Far Beyond Driven debuted at number one. Just quit while you're behind.
    >talking about music in the early 2000s
    >brings up Far Beyond Driven to argue my point
    >release date: 1994
    >"I'm embarassed for you"
    >"Just quit while you're behind"

Ahahaha, I love witnessing your downward spiral. How big of a hole can you dug yourself into? Wait, let me help: you are the one who does not comprehend what I mean by saying you can't ignore Linkin Park.

Come on man, what you've got next? You gonna tell me how Master Of Puppets was a beast in the 80s or did you start remembering elementary school mathematics?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Did you like the emo revolution better? Nu metal was the last heavy stuff that had immense mainstream success, now you can't even reach the charts unless you are an already established name in the business.
    Emo? no.

To be honest, not a lot of post-90s mainstream music impressed me. So much of it feels plastic and disposable, much more calculated and celebrity driven than anything musically revolutionary. LP didn’t ever feel heavy to me. Their music didn’t feel challenging and their lyrics never felt dangerous. Instead it felt calculated for appeal and commercialized.

Linkin Park is the easy one to pick on because of their commercial success. It seems like in the mid to late 90s people were sitting in a room coming up with a formula to create a band that would by default sell millions of albums by appealing to the broadest possible spectrum of the youth. They asked, “what are the most popular things in music today?” The answer: rap, angsty rock, and boy bands. Those things then became one in the form of Linkin Park, and a plastic revolution of radio friendly frustration was born. Right or wrong, that’s just the vibe I’ve always gotten from LP.

I can at least appreciate the technical execution of what LP does. They are quite proficient in doing what they do.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Emo? no.

To be honest, not a lot of post-90s mainstream music impressed me. So much of it feels plastic and disposable, much more calculated and celebrity driven than anything musically revolutionary. LP didn’t ever feel heavy to me. Their music didn’t feel challenging and their lyrics never felt dangerous. Instead it felt calculated for appeal and commercialized.

Linkin Park is the easy one to pick on because of their commercial success. It seems like in the mid to late 90s people were sitting in a room coming up with a formula to create a band that would by default sell millions of albums by appealing to the broadest possible spectrum of the youth. They asked, “what are the most popular things in music today?” The answer: rap, angsty rock, and boy bands. Those things then became one in the form of Linkin Park, and a plastic revolution of radio friendly frustration was born. Right or wrong, that’s just the vibe I’ve always gotten from LP.

I can at least appreciate the technical execution of what LP does. They are quite proficient in doing what they do.
    But comparedto what followed it, in hindsight we can call LP heavy. I still consider it less of a sellout - and more interesting - than the average "US metal" scene.

I don't think LP set the trend which led to the emission of metal music from the top dogs; they were merely in the last (metal) genre that catered to a wide audience and it was an easy sell commercially.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    But comparedto what followed it, in hindsight we can call LP heavy.
    Yeah, I can understand your perspective. If we are comparing LP against the likes of Dashboard Confessional, Plain White T's, The Killers, or Jimmy Eat World, then yup, LP has a heavier sound. But I’d still point to some other bands that were making solid albums in the early 2000s, and maybe they weren’t as profitable as LP but they were still successful and doing things infinitely more interesting than LP. Stuff like Tool - Lateralus (2001), Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (2002), System of a Down - Toxicity (2002), or Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002). I’m not personally the biggest fan of albums like Lateralus or Toxicity, but they strike me as being from a more genuine place and far more creative/mature albums than Hybrid Theory or Meteora.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Yeah, I can understand your perspective. If we are comparing LP against the likes of Dashboard Confessional, Plain White T's, The Killers, or Jimmy Eat World, then yup, LP has a heavier sound. But I’d still point to some other bands that were making solid albums in the early 2000s, and maybe they weren’t as profitable as LP but they were still successful and doing things infinitely more interesting than LP. Stuff like Tool - Lateralus (2001), Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (2002), System of a Down - Toxicity (2002), or Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002). I’m not personally the biggest fan of albums like Lateralus or Toxicity, but they strike me as being from a more genuine place and far more creative/mature albums than Hybrid Theory or Meteora.
    Definitely, but I miss the mainstream status of metal and quality alternative metal/rock or whatever we want to call those genres. The type of music which were prominent, albeit maybe overshadowed by LP (though come on, SOAD was fucking big for example) could not hit the same level of success today. I don't listen much to radios nowadays, but coming across anything that's at least as heavy as LP was back then is almost impossible, unless you are listening to some exclusive rock radio station.

Basically, if we had a Linkin Park today, other bands could be sailing behind it, getting radio play and more recognition as well.

edit: though the digital age helps to get to more people easily, it also means shitty bands can do the same, so oyu have to sift through it all, which can be tedious.
    Last edited by Volband; 02-17-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Definitely, but I miss the mainstream status of metal and quality alternative metal/rock or whatever we want to call those genres. The type of music which were prominent, albeit maybe overshadowed by LP (though come on, SOAD was fucking big for example) could not hit the same level of success today...
    Sorry for taking us off the rails here, but with the paradigm shift over the last 20 or so years from CDs to MP3s now to subscription streaming, would anyone hit the same level of success today… at least as far as commercial album sales are concerned? The era of the casual music listener having to buy the physical album for $15 to get the couple of radio hits they want is over. Trent was spot-on with this comment a few years back,

“music IS free whether you want to believe that or not. Every piece of music you can think of is available free right now a click away.”

I honestly don’t keep up with most modern music, but is any artist selling albums into the millions today? I would think very few command those numbers except for maybe the poppiest of pop and hip hop stars like Taylor Swift or Kanye.

Basically, if we had a Linkin Park today, other bands could be sailing behind it, getting radio play and more recognition as well.
    Linkin Park is sill around today, and while their last album wasn’t a commercial flop by any stretch, I don’t think it did nearly as well as most of their prior albums here in the US. A buddy of mine is a big LP fan, it’s noteworthy to say he is almost 20 years younger than myself. So anyway, he has made sure that over the course of our kickin’ it time that I've heard his LP collection, on several occasions. It’s safe to say that A Thousand Suns is the one and only album of theirs that I don’t mind occasionally listening to. It’s also safe to say that I’d probably personally find LP to be much more palatable without Michael Shinoda’s rapping.