Page 56 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 2288

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Reznor was not offensive towards Manson, he was just telling the truth.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    Reznor was not offensive towards Manson, he was just telling the truth.
    Then maybe the next album will be called "Born Dopey"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still swear that Manson says "clowns in my coffee" the first time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I agree and i didn't said im not "obsessed", after all this is a NIN Forum, everything links to Trent one way or another (specially if the main topic is Marilyn Manson)
    I don't know if he lied or told the truth, just sounds suspicious that he wants to cover "You're So Vain", maybe he told the truth, maybe this song means a lot to Manson and Deep and Reznor is not on the picture (still he's linked to that song as much as Deep).
    Who knows?, could go either way in my opinion, i don't claim to have "the truth" i could be wrong, it's just an opinion and in my opinion: Manson is childish and immature, i could be right i could me wrong, i just want to share it, if you agree that's cool, if you don't i'll would like to hear why, no big deal or obsession attached.
    its not suspicious. he has covered songs like sweet dreams and tainted love before. and your explanation sounds very contrived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogan Warlord View Post
    I still swear that Manson says "clowns in my coffee" the first time.
    I also hear this.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vitriol View Post
    its not suspicious. he has covered songs like sweet dreams and tainted love before. and your explanation sounds very contrived.
    I meant that particular song ("You're so vain"), obviously he has covered "Sweet Dreams", "Personal Jesus", "Tainted Love" even "Personal Jesus", not because of those covers im saying that Manson has beef against Dave Gahan, cover songs are important to Manson, but it caught my attention that his pick was "You're so vain" a song that NIN referenced a few years ago in "Starfuckers.inc" Manson happened to be in the main video of the song and also performed it live with Trent before:

he even sings: "Fuck you" after Trent says: "You're so vain i bet you think this song is about you"

Maybe im obsessed, maybe it sounds obvious, maybe it's just Manson wanting to provoke the fans, maybe is none of the above.
    But i guess my explanation does sound contrived, so i must be wrong and you're right, there

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I think it's silly to argue over this.

Any comments in interviews notwithstanding, doing a cover of Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" is essentially the exact same thing he did by (co-) directing the video for "Starsuckers, Inc.," having a cameo in it, and joining NIN onstage to perform the song during that specific part.

Namely, he's deflating the accusation by OWNING it.

"Oh, you think I'm a starfucker and you're even willing to pay royalties to Carly Simon to get in a dig at me? That's cool. I'll just go ahead and cover that song with the BIGGEST star in Hollywood. Ha."

An elegant enough response, I'd say!

And, yeah, Manson definitely sings "clowns" at the beginning of that line each time before reverting to the proper "clouds," and it's done intentionally. It's a famously misheard lyric right up there with "excuse me while I kiss this guy" from Hendrix and such.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    worth noting: the "well fuck you" bit sung by manson on that performance of starfuckers was also added properly by trent for the entire fragility tour. check the other performance from the dvd.

otherwise, elegant isn't exactly the word i'd use for the situation. seems like just another way for MM to get some attention through speculation, a petty move considering their relationship isn't exactly front page news these days.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Do you guys think that after all this time that Manson still has Reznor on the brain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty sure the Your So Vain track is just that Manson has always done covers and they tend to go more mainstream (Sweet Dreams, Tainted Love, Personal Jesus) and maybe Johnny Depp liked that song and so it was chosen, plus even having Depp on the track seems like a publicity thing too. Just my two cents, I enjoy the album for the most part.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    To change topics for just a moment, Manson appears in by Quentin Dupieux (director of killer tire horror movie Rubber) playing a techno-obsessed teenager (I can sense the confusion already).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The short film was hilarious!

And perhaps Johnny mentioned he wanted to do that song oblivious to the Starfuckers Inc. reference and Manson didn't mention it yet thought it slightly curious.

I don't really care, I enjoy the album a lot, I'm still hearing new things in the songs. You're So Vain has grown on me a lot.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babali View Post
    I don't really care, I enjoy the album a lot, I'm still hearing new things in the songs. You're So Vain has grown on me a lot.
    Is one of the best tracks and it's a bonus track!, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    all of your responses idicate to me that the song is more about trent's view of manson than the other way around.
    anyhow, if manson wanted to say something about trent, it would have something cheesy like 'rapist werewolf'. thats something along the line of his last reply to trent. but i think that its pretty clear from the magazine interview that there is no relationship between them. not even an antagonistic one

you guys remind me of tabloids that stalk celebs and spread pregnancy rumours just because you want it to be true

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I think it's silly to argue over this.

Any comments in interviews notwithstanding, doing a cover of Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" is essentially the exact same thing he did by (co-) directing the video for "Starsuckers, Inc.," having a cameo in it, and joining NIN onstage to perform the song during that specific part.

Namely, he's deflating the accusation by OWNING it.

"Oh, you think I'm a starfucker and you're even willing to pay royalties to Carly Simon to get in a dig at me? That's cool. I'll just go ahead and cover that song with the BIGGEST star in Hollywood. Ha."

An elegant enough response, I'd say!

And, yeah, Manson definitely sings "clowns" at the beginning of that line each time before reverting to the proper "clouds," and it's done intentionally. It's a famously misheard lyric right up there with "excuse me while I kiss this guy" from Hendrix and such.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yet again, cannot believe that this topic has gone on for like over a page. Didn't I mention something about Manson just doing something and then all the fanboys just over-analyzing the hell out of it for no reason? Here's most likely the reality of why Manson did this cover and included Johnny Depp.

MM: I feel like doing another cover and adding it to the album. What's a song I dig but would kinda surprise people? How about Carly Simon. Hey, I'm friends with Johnny Depp, he's in to music and is a huge actor right now.
    *ring ring*
    Johnny Depp: Hello?
    MM: Hey it's me. Wanna do a bit on my album? Doing a cover.
    Johnny Depp: Sure.
    *click*
    *click*

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I love that blu ray but it is pretty sus... I would love to compare a fan bootleg
    While most bands DO indeed "enhance" their live releases in the studio and there's nothing particularly shameful about it up to a point, there actually IS a fan recording of this particular show. Can't check to make sure this isn't just a DVD-rip at the moment but you're welcome to see for yourself, since you mentioned it:

http://media.seven1963.org/Audios/mm/mp3/2001-01-13.rar

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I can't believe this topic has gone on this long either, but it's the Manson thread. It's always this way.

That said, to think that Manson decided to cover Carly Simon without it ever crossing his mind that a strong connection would be made between himself, Trent Reznor, and Starfuckers as a result, is utterly absurd. He truly would have to be brain dead for that NOT to have occurred to him. But I don't really care either way on this; in fact, I haven't cared for years even when Reznor insulted Manson.

More on topic, I listened to BV again yesterday, hoping it would sound better, but it actually sounded worse. So much for the comeback.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vitriol View Post

you guys remind me of tabloids that stalk celebs and spread pregnancy rumours just because you want it to be true
    Manson is pregnant! No way!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I say FUCK all that bullshit and figure you can either be a retarded curmudgeon of a fan from the sidelines or you can get your lazy ass out of your deskchair and go have the time of your life at the best and most badassedly entertaining Manson shows in YEARS!!!

So, anyway, I filmed this bootleg last week:

MARILYN MANSON
    live in
    MINNEAPOLIS, MN
    at
    The Myth
    5/18/12

THIS IS MY BEAUTIFUL SHOW
    AND EVERTHING IS SHOT...

...with a Canon ZR800 with a 35x Optical Zoom lens
    from a centered position
    with an omnidirectional binaural external stereo microphone.

FULL-SCREEN VIEWING
    AND EXTREMELY LOUD SPEAKERS
    OR HEADPHONES
    ARE MIGHTILY ENCOURAGED
    AND HEARTILY RECOMMENDED!!!

SETLIST:
    Suspiria Theme Intro 2012 @0:01
    Hey, Cruel World @1:43
    Disposable Teens @5:47
    The Love Song @10:35
    No Reflection @14:46
    mOBSCENE @19:02
    Coma Black Intro/The Dope Show @23:55
    Slo-Mo-Tion @29:50
    Rock is Dead @34:43
    Personal Jesus @39:13
    Pistol Whipped @44:38
    Tourniquet @49:27
    Irresponsible Hate Anthem @54:34
    Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) @1:00:05
    Antichrist Superstar @1:07:32
    The Beautiful People @1:14:51

\m/ -_- \m/
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 05-26-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    The more I try to listen to it, the more BV sounds to me like a stinker of EMDM proportions. At least THEOL had some catchy tunes.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Still listened to it 2 times on the day it leaked and not since. No inclination to either. Maybe to hear that Goddamn Arms song...catchy chorus. That's it though, and like I said, I honestly to this day could not quote you more than maybe two lines of lyrics or something. It was that forgettable. And we still have to get a font size limit in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The album is good.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I watched about half an hour of Hazekiah's show above, and Manson does look and sound invigorated. I stopped when he butchered Dope Show (and because I have stuff to do), but mainly I was struck by how bland BV songs sound next to selections from Holy Wood, MA and even GOAG. This was my problem with THEOL as well, it sounds like paint by numbers Manson.

Still, I think I'll give some of the old albums a spin today to see if they've held up as well as I regard them in my head.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    And we still have to get a font size limit in this thread.
    Because OBVIOUSLY a generous fan wanting to highlight the awesome thing they just shared with the community so their post doesn't get overlooked in the course of pages and pages of bickering trolls and maybe even has a sense of style and presentation to its credit would just be the WORST THING EVAR for any thread.

Changing the font size is an option and I use it, rather sparingly at that. Should we ban the use of italics while we're at it?

Get over it and find something else to complain about, I'm sure it won't take you long.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hey, just gave my opinion. Learn to cope, man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig
    That said, to think that Manson decided to cover Carly Simon without it ever crossing his mind that a strong connection would be made between himself, Trent Reznor, and Starfuckers as a result, is utterly absurd. He truly would have to be brain dead for that NOT to have occurred to him. But I don't really care either way on this; in fact, I haven't cared for years even when Reznor insulted Manson.

crossed his mind =/= he did the cover just to get a dig at trent

you are basically saying: 'he looked at the pooch, therefore he must have screwed it'

and for some reason you keep avoiding the fact that it is consistently trent who calls manson vain, egotistic, etc. not the other way around. manson had a very different style of 'insulting' trent in the past
    Last edited by vitriol; 05-26-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Hey, just gave my opinion. Learn to cope, man...
    Yeah, but all you seem to do is whine about Manson in this thread. Some of the stuff you posted quite a while back was mildly humorous but now it's completely ridiculous and boring. I don't understand why you feel the need to continuously come to a thread when you've made it clear that you do not like the artist.

It seems all you've done is complain about how much you don't like Manson, how much you think he sucks now, and have even gone so far as to complain about stuff posted in another forum. You do not like Marilyn Manson. Other people do. Learn to cope, man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet of the apes View Post
    @atom Its because it's very obvious that he is a vain prick. Every post about Axl or manson is about their weight or their clothing. It's obvious that he is insecure about things like this, the way people look and dress. Its pretty vain and kindred to what a 15 year old high school kid goes through. Same mentality. Wish he would be banned for good however no matter what he does (and over the years thats ALOT) he seems to be able to stick around.

*chimes in*
    you're so vain
    i bet you think this song is about yoooooouuuuuuu!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @atom Its because it's very obvious that he is a vain prick. Every post about Axl or manson is about their weight or their clothing. It's obvious that he is insecure about things like this, the way people look and dress. Its pretty vain and kindred to what a 15 year old high school kid goes through. Same mentality. Wish he would be banned for good however no matter what he does (and over the years thats ALOT) he seems to be able to stick around.
    Whereas I will discuss Manson to stay mostly on topic, I find this extremely interesting! Possibly due to the 'over the years thats ALOT' part. Mostly due to the fact that you've been around for 'years'? Not sure of the reasoning behind your post in the Introduction thread less than a year ago:

Hi I'm new, found this site while looking for Dragon Tattoo news. I like this place. Lots of great content. Hopefully the community is friendly as well.
    So what...you're 'new here', or someone that came back from the old ETS, took all of a few days tops to start sending me harrassing PM's accusing me of stalking your girlfriend (though to this day I'm still not entirely certain who you are lol), and then proceeded to literally stalk thread to thread where I post just to throw shitty jabs at me (i.e. the Borderlands thread, Dishonored thread...something about a remark I made about the drummer in my band making me pretentious...because that makes sense)? I'd say go look at the movie thread I started yesterday, but whoops! All your weak posts are gone! What happened? Oh yeah, you simply followed me yet again in to that thread and contributed NOTHING.

So let's put it all behind us shall we? The new ETS is not rife with drama like the old one, I'll be the bigger person and say fuck it. Even though you literally sent me almost 10 random PM's, said that I was mean to you years ago (again even though you blatantly lied and said you're new here...smooth), and can't seem to not post where I do, which is bizarre in a stalker-ish way beyond measure....who cares. I love it here. I love the people here. You disagree with me or I said something that pissed you off? Apologies. Let's move on, your weak attempts at making me look bad are only doing it to yourself.

Back on topic. I wasn't trolling. If you see previous posts of mine, I LOVE old Manson. It's just beyond me how people in their 30's still can't see it for what it is, a gateway band for teenagers. Hell, I was one of them. The guy is still interesting no doubt, but I just don't get wrapped up in the appeal anymore. The guy still has it in him but he has to come up with something new. No disrespect to Hazekiah or whatever. I can cope fine with people disagreeing with me. I'm just lost as to the appeal for people who have grown past their teens and the whole angsty vibe of the guy in question. It's true, nothing's shocking anymore. Maybe that's where MM lost his appeal. In our day and age, once the shock value's gone, there needs to be substance and I feel that MM doesn't have enough to drum up anything worthwhile anymore. Agree or not, I'm cool with that.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://denniscooper-theweaklings.blo...488b226105c96c
    for Marilyn Manson: I've read many interviews where you talk about the need you feel as an artist to challenge people, shake them out of their staidness, and cause them to question their values. Yet you have been working the same immediately identifiable image for years now, and with the exception of a tentative then quickly retracted stylistic change in your music several years ago, your sound and subject matter have barely altered since your second album. In fact, you are among the most predictable of rock music artists. Your enemies can spot and hear you coming a mile away. If you believe what you say, and if you're as intelligent as you seem, then how can you honestly expect to challenge anyone anywhere when you're so unwilling to challenge and shake up your art any more than just the slightest little bit?