Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    This is exactly what the show would be like if it was on HBO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Run you clever boy..."
    "Oh, fuck off!"

God, that makes me want to watch Thick of It again. Roll on the Christmas special!

Speaking of which, a few details have begun to emerge as well as the first promo image:

EDIT:

Okay, so I was also reading this article and it got me thinking: what does everyone else here consider Doctor Who 'canon'? To be honest I've never really been bothered much about where expanded media (Big Finish audios, novels, etc.) fit into things. What do you guys think? Does it matter?

(Probably not, it is just a TV series after all...)
    Last edited by Trains; 12-02-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @Trains officially, only the TV episodes (excluding certain crossover episodes) and the TV movie count, but the radio plays do get a mention here and there in the show, so imo they count too, especially as most of the original cast, and many original writers, are involved.

Cushing will never be canon though

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think the usual thinking is that the audio and books have 'preliminary' canon status, in which they're canon right up until some sort of televised media (excluding stuff like Dimensions in Time, Curse of Fatal Death, etc.) says something different. Basically, TV pre-empts every single other medium, but that doesn't mean the other mediums are pointless.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The mcgann/capaldi handover mini episodes canonises elements (at least) of the audio plays (charlie and crizz mentioned by name), which is problematic because the 2005+ series borrows liberally from "Jubilee" and more recently "The Steel Turk" (sorry gaiman fans, he didnt even come up with the coolest thing in that episode).

in sutekh land the 63-89 run is canon but the TVM and 2005+ are set in different universes (respectively, tvm has its own because of the half human doctor).

the audio plays, 90s new adventure and BBC eighth doctor books also take place in alt universes.

This way everything counts and yet sort of doesn't... Inter dimensional incestuousness provides neat explanations for the way dead doctors can turn up and yet look older than they did when they died

i'll stop talking before i betray my cool exterior

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don't know if "borrows liberally from" is accurate in regards to Jubilee because Robert Shearman just took Jubilee, which he wrote, and made it work in the context of the new series, basically remaking it for TV. Which means that it pre-empts the audio drama version because it's on TV.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my fiancee and i watched "an adventure in space and time" the other night (after watching a full troughton serial) and it was great.

it was awesome seeing filch from harry potter be something other than filch. and he was fantastic.
    pretty much everyone in the cast was perfect. and the guy that played waras is really freakin' handsome.
    the only real issue we had with it (especially since we love troughton so much) was the guy they got to play him right near the end. he looked NOTHING like him except for the haircut. he was way too young, he didn't have the right nose, and he wasn't even remotely charming.

it definitely made me want to watch some of the first doctor's serials.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my fiancee and i watched "an adventure in space and time" the other night (after watching a full troughton serial) and it was great.

it was awesome seeing filch from harry potter be something other than filch. and he was fantastic.
    pretty much everyone in the cast was perfect. and the guy that played waras is really freakin' handsome.
    the only real issue we had with it (especially since we love troughton so much) was the guy they got to play him right near the end. he looked NOTHING like him except for the haircut. he was way too young, he didn't have the right nose, and he wasn't even remotely charming.

I guess they skimped out on casting for Troughton because he was only in a little bit of the docudrama, but I was disappointed at how very not-Troughton the actor was.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Do it. Watching them in order is best, because it was originally not sold as serials but as an entire serialised show, so episodes flow fluidly, though there are of course small arcs

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One of my favourite things about early hartnell is the irrelevant episode titles. THE DEATH OF TIME... in which, Ian and babs try to escape an underground jail on a desert planet (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I don't know if "borrows liberally from" is accurate in regards to Jubilee because Robert Shearman just took Jubilee, which he wrote, and made it work in the context of the new series, basically remaking it for TV. Which means that it pre-empts the audio drama version because it's on TV.
    You can borrow from yourself, that's why it's borrowing and not stealing. Jurassic Park borrows from Westworld, in the loop borrows from the thick of it etc etc. It's when you recycle stuff from previous work, which is what happened.

But Dalek isn't a straight-up remake of Jubilee - the single, imprisoned Dalek is the only common element (the why, when, where and resolution are all totally different, and in Jubilee it isn't the last survivor). Shearman was actually pretty displeased with how far away from Jubilee the finished product was, and that (sadly) is why he never wrote for the show again Although he does contribute to special features on the classic series dvds (on the Space Museum set he presents a pretty funny documentary insisting the space museum isnt shit)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Take On Who?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^
    That is awesome!

Also:

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Doctor Who

Get here already Christmas, goddamnit!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    If Christopher Eccleston had agreed to come back for The Day of the Doctor, there wouldn't have been a War Doctor.

Huh. Then again, us nerds wouldn't have the fun of arguing over the numbering of the Doctors.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    That's old news I thought? They established that Hurt was hired in place of Eccles cake a while back

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Christmas episode had some really really good moments but overall it was pretty weak IMO. Spoiler: I think Handles dieing was the saddest thing Steven Moffat ever wrote.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm surprised that nobody's talking about this episode. I guess that's Christmas.

It's probably the blindness induced by a new episode, but I thought this episode was great. Spoiler: Matt's send-off speech was gorgeous, really got to me. "When the Doctor was me"...fuck you, man, I didn't want to feel these things. I also liked how quickly the actual switch to Capaldi was - fitting for the first in a new set of regens for it to be tiny and understated. This really was just a well-done wrap-up for Matt.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Christmas episode had some really really good moments but overall it was pretty weak IMO. Spoiler: I think Handles dieing was the saddest thing Steven Moffat ever wrote.
    Is it just me or did Handles sound like Rory? Also, was anyone else reminded of Hartnell when Clara came back to an very old Doctor?

I was fighting back tears back near the end. Raggedy Man. I'm still processing the quick jump to Capaldi- I'm not sure he was given the proper introduction at the end.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I just can't get into the new Dr Who. I like the old originals, but I'm lost on the new. Can someone recommend a good entry episode?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Blink is a good stand-alone episode.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The Eleventh Hour is a good one, too. Clean break from the Davies era.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Vincent and the Doctor is really good, too.

Christmas ep spoilers Spoiler: So I guess he's almost 2000 years old now? Christ, he was like 900 when he started.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 12-26-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @orestes Handles was Kayvan Novak, who is awesome.
    @Jinsai watch Spearhead in Space again and then the first NuWho episode, they're the same plot so you can just look at character. If that doesn't do you, watch The Empty Child for best NuWho episode ever.
    @ibanez33 probably more like 1600, but he was a mere ~450 when we first met him - and ~250 when he first stole the TARDIS!

Xmas episode was fantastic, I've never been a big Smith fan but they gave him such a good sendoff, aside from Amy popping up for no reason I thought the whole thing was very well done. My body is so ready for Capaldi.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Doctor Who

Oh god, how could I forget The Empty Child?!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Ehhhh.

I liked last year's a lot better than this one. I really enjoyed the Tasha Lem character, but on the whole, this special just didn't really feel all that...well...special. Yeah, I got a little sad at the end what Matt Smith said goodbye, because I was among the apparently small number who actually enjoyed his tenure. But on the whole, this episode just felt like "hey, let's throw all the monsters together and blow stuff up", which just didn't do anything for me.

Now, to fucking just get fucking used to Peter Fucking Capaldi player the fucking Doctor