Thread: The Mental Health thread - depression, bipolar, ADHD, you name it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, this is a very interesting thread – can I ask if you started this because you feel/have experienced that lots of NIN fans have experience of mental health issues? In the UK it's broadly speaking 1/4 people, so that isn't saying much – but from a research point of view, I'd be really interested to know if people find NIN music cathartic/helpful in managing their condition or just helping them to feel better in general?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN –Downward Spiral Book View Post
    Hello, this is a very interesting thread – can I ask if you started this because you feel/have experienced that lots of NIN fans have experience of mental health issues? In the UK it's broadly speaking 1/4 people, so that isn't saying much – but from a research point of view, I'd be really interested to know if people find NIN music cathartic/helpful in managing their condition or just helping them to feel better in general?
    I actually started listening to NIN as a kid, before I was depressed. I just thought the music was exciting and basically unlike any music I had ever heard before. I don't think I had the emotional intelligence to get that the music was super depressive in an angry sense; it just sounded revitalizing (especially TDS and Broken, which was almost the entire discography of main releases when I started). As I got older, and my issues started appearing, I definitely took solace in The Fragile especially as that has a slightly less aggressive, and more reflective/melancholy tone than most of the work that preceded it.

I'm sure there are more people suffering from mental health issues in communities surrounding bands with more negative/introspective/aggressive(/goth, haha) lyrics and music, but I'm not sure why the thread was started specifically other than to just lend support.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN –Downward Spiral Book View Post
    this thread has nothing to do with nine inch nails. at all. please don't try and source material for your *book* from here.