Thread: Worst books you have encountered yet.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Authors I find hard to read:

Michael Chabon: so boring, I wonder how anyone finishes his books.
    Chuck Palahniuk: shitty, sloppy, bad writer: at least what I've read.
    Salman Rushdie: overrated, long-winded: expands to a paragraph what could be better said in a sentence. The odd moment of brilliance.
    Zadie Smith: I found White Teeth to be Rushdie-lite.
    William Gibson: tries to be cool, ends up coming across like an ass, with that wannabe noir shit.
    John Updike: another over-writer. Dude, we don't need all that detail. Get on with the story and stop thinking you're James Joyce. You're really not.
    Neil Gaiman: I've only read Anansi Boys, and it was pretty bad. Willing to give him another couple of chances.
    Richard K. Morgan: read half of Altered Carbon and it was one cliche after the next.
    Don DeLillo: seriously underwhelmed by White Noise.
    Thomas Pynchon: I find him unreadable, and his attempts to be funny, obnoxious.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 04-03-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Authors I find hard to read:

Michael Chabon: so boring, I wonder how anyone finishes his books.
    Chuck Palahniuk: shitty, sloppy, bad writer: at least what I've read.
    Salman Rushdie: overrated, long-winded: expands to a paragraph what could be better said in a sentence. The odd moment of brilliance.
    Zadie Smith: I found White Teeth to be Rushdie-lite.
    William Gibson: tries to be cool, ends up coming across like an ass, with that wannabe noir shit.
    John Updike: another over-writer. Dude, we don't need all that detail. Get on with the story and stop thinking you're James Joyce. You're really not.
    Neil Gaiman: I've only read Anansi Boys, and it was pretty bad. Willing to give him another couple of chances.
    Richard K. Morgan: read half of Altered Carbon and it was one cliche after the next.
    Don DeLillo: seriously underwhelmed by White Noise.
    Thomas Pynchon: I find him unreadable, and his attempts to be funny, obnoxious.
    Funny... I'd say that Don DeLillo, Thomas Pynchon, William Gibson, and John Updike are all amazing. Rushdie might be a bit overrated, but the two books I read were pretty great all in all.

Though I'd agree with Palahniuk, if only because Snuff and Pygmy were quite possibly the worst books I've ever read. I still like Fight Club though. And with regards to Neil Gaiman, it's weird that you read Anansi Boys before American Gods. He's fun, but he's nothing extraordinary in my opinion.

I guess to throw in my two cents, I still haven't read anything by Dean Koontz that doesn't completely suck, Dan Brown is really lame, I personally hated every Harry Potter book I read and I can't stand the fanboy love. I really can't stand Jane Austin... I've been forced to read four books by her, and every one of them has made me want to shoot myself.