Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The Fragile - the ULTIMATE re-issue

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    is this fucking re-issue EVER coming out, WTF??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
    is this fucking re-issue EVER coming out, WTF??
    I feel the same way. It isn't the fact that this is taking what seems like forever to come out. It's the fact that it was announced such a long time ago. I really wish they would have waited until the project was finished to announce it or at least give some solid updates along the way. I am sure this will be worth the wait, but why does this happen so often with stuff Trent is involved with (tapeworm, with teeth deluxe, Ghosts film festival, Year Zero TV show, final shows, HTDA full-length, etc.)? It seems like Trent is always getting excited and announcing stuff prematurely. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy with what has been released and would be happy without anything else. However, it sucks to keep getting your hopes up for stuff that may never come out.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    buckaroo:
    ...with teeth deluxe...

wasn't that released simultaneously as CD+DVD or DualDisc?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    buckaroo:
    ...with teeth deluxe...

wasn't that released simultaneously as CD+DVD or DualDisc?
    I don't remember the details, but wasn't there supposed to be some deluxe version of it with an essay written by Trent?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Via Canoe circa 2005:
    In response to disappointed NIN fans who have questioned this logic, Reznor told the Sun for the first time that a special With Teeth packaging is in the works. To coincide with an arena tour set to be announced in June, he has planned a deluxe box to be sold at shows and on-line. "If you want to, you'll be able to buy a real deluxe book that the record fits into. It's a super nice thing that will have a big essay from me and a lot of pictures. It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it."
    Sadly, we never got it. Maybe for the 10th anniversary? Heh, wait, what thread am I in again.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "Reznor told the Sun" is all you need to hear to know that isn't happening

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    "Reznor told the Sun" is all you need to hear to know that isn't happening
    The Toronto Sun, not the other Sun. (Not that this changes any likelihood of it happening.)

I feel like Trent abandoned (what we'd now call) the ARG aspects of With Teeth once he had the "better idea" with YZ. Probably the right move, but I'm still curious about what kind of story he was trying to tell with WT.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This With Teeth deluxe edition deal just made this thread even more depressing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    The Toronto Sun, not the other Sun. (Not that this changes any likelihood of it happening.)
    I know nothing of The Toronto Sun but it has to be a more reliable source then the UK Sun. The Sun over here is more likely to take pictures of Trent shopping and post them in their paper with a terrible pun then actually release anything note worthy about his work.

I've just realised that this discussion is over With Teeth Deluxe version, not The Fragile so your statement stands without question. However, I'm still posting this as don't like wasting a chance to shit on The Sun

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it.
    I've suggested this before, but here goes again. What if the With Teeth lyrics poster was the first hint in an ARG that we never got?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    I've suggested this before, but here goes again. What if the With Teeth lyrics poster was the first hint in an ARG that we never got?
    As cool as this could be, I don't think it makes sense. ARGs are frequently marketing tools designed to engage the already-engaged fan at a deeper level. I don't recall with YZ, but I know with TGWTDT, 42e/MouthTapedShut occasionally had to offer hints and make adjustments depending on how things were going. An ARG that no one figures out would be a pretty costly failure, especially one that never even made itself known.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think what Dave's suggesting is that something like an ARG was planned to go along with the With Teeth poster/deluxe packaging, but it was cancelled... possibly due to time restrictions imposed by problems with the coinciding tour (such as exploding drummers). The deluxe version's essay would have potentially concerned itself with how Trent's newfound sober sense of reality was leading him to discover things about the political situation that were bugging him, and this sort of commentary was more eloquently delivered in the Year Zero ARG, so it never saw the light of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    I know nothing of The Toronto Sun but it has to be a more reliable source then the UK Sun. The Sun over here is more likely to take pictures of Trent shopping and post them in their paper with a terrible pun then actually release anything note worthy about his work.
    It's maybe one sliver of an iota above that level, but only barely... a right-wing tabloid rag and sports statistics delivery system.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    This With Teeth deluxe edition deal just made this thread even more depressing.
    Remember, David Carson has been paid to work on this project, and so has Alan Moulder, at least. So, if it doesn't actually happen, NIN have thrown a fair bit of cash away. It's bound to happen IMHO, just not until HTDA sales are past the middle of the bell curve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I think there's a good possibility that it all comes down to just how deluxe Interscope is willing to allow this to get. Let's not forget that The Fragile performed very poorly in the charts after its first week, so maybe they aren't too excited to pour funds, time and resources into a really amazing reissue if they fear similar sales this time out. As we speak, they are probably arguing with TR about how many different editions to make and how much they should cost.
    I know this is an ancient post but The Fragile didn't perform that badly. There's this widespread belief that TF was a total failure because of how it dropped off the charts after it's first week. Yes it did, that's true, but it was released in an era far removed from '94, where pop music was king and Nu-Metal was beginning to dominate the Rock side of things along with Manson although back then Rock bands could still sell loads unlike now (...unless your name is Radiohead or Muse). So yeah it was released at a time not really suited to NIN unlike '94 was and five looong years after Trent's last proper album...yet it still went platinum and sold over a million copies. That's not bad, not brilliant either but the label probably saw a fair profit off it. TF is definitely a long tail album aswell, it's probably gone over 2 million by now due to it's critical reaction as the best NIN album which has only emerged over time.

I doubt Interscope are holding back because they don't think they'll make any money, if they're to blame for it, then it's usual record label bureaucracy and bullshit rather than a fear of not making money.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    heres how i have my fragile playlist, and i think it would make a epic 3/4 disc version. combines tracks from still, the singles from the era and unreleased tracks from tr's acct on remix.nin.com. anyways, its epic as hell and over 3 hrs long!

01 leaving hope
    02 the new flesh (from tfa.com)
    03 somewhat damaged
    04 tdtwwa
    05 the frail
    06 the wretched
    07 gone still
    08 witt
    09 the fragille
    10 and all that could have been
    11 just like you imagined
    12 complications of the flesh
    13 even deeper (tt love dub)
    14 even deeper
    15 pilgrimage
    16 no, you dont
    17 metal
    18 untitled (from tfa.com)
    19 la mer (version)
    20 la mer
    21 great below
    22 the way out is thru
    23 into the void
    24 slipping away
    25 great collapse
    26 presistence of loss
    27 where is everybody?
    28 mark has been made
    29 10 miles high
    30 please
    31 appendage
    32 where is everybody? (version)
    33 starfukers
    34 complication
    35 new flesh
    36 no, you dont (version)
    37 tdtwwa (quiet)
    38 looking forward to joing u
    39 big come down
    40 underneath it all
    41 adrift and at peace
    42 ripe w/ decay

thats just my prefrence. IMO things falling apart would have been 900% better had it included the la mer, where is everybody and no you dont (versions), especially in place of some of the redundant, ho hum starfuckers mixes.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I noticed that on Spotify, you can't listen to Starfuckers as part of The Fragile (though you can listen to the remixes on TFA). Makes me wonder if he's truly decided that the song doesn't belong on TF, as it stands as a work of art, and whether it could be left off the reissue.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I noticed that on Spotify, you can't listen to Starfuckers as part of The Fragile (though you can listen to the remixes on TFA). Makes me wonder if he's truly decided that the song doesn't belong on TF, as it stands as a work of art, and whether it could be left off the reissue.
    Um, yes you can. I just checked it on my spotify (UK) and through tunnelbear, and Starfuckers comes up fine on the album page. Do note that if your version ripped to your computer isn't called the EXACT thing that spotify calls theirs (including placing of capitals) then it might not recognise it as a track that spotify already has.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Um, yes you can. I just checked it on my spotify (UK) and through tunnelbear, and Starfuckers comes up fine on the album page. Do note that if your version ripped to your computer isn't called the EXACT thing that spotify calls theirs (including placing of capitals) then it might not recognise it as a track that spotify already has.
    It's not ripped on my computer. Perhaps you can play it *because* it's ripped to your computer.

"This track is not available. If you have the track available on your computer, you can import it."
    Last edited by jessamineny; 07-22-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added the Spotify error language

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Peculiar, I tried it on a computer without and it still has it. No doubt this is some stupid label bullshit though, if Trent was going to cut tracks from deluxes, I don't think PHM would've had anything on it if he'd had his way :P

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    No doubt this is some stupid label bullshit though
    I will say this: Starfuckers (TF) is the only song in the entire NIN catalog that is unplayable on Spotify USA.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 07-22-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it is probably because of legal issues around the Carly Simon song writing reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    heres how i have my fragile playlist *snip*
    Have you tried "Adrift & At Peace" after "La Mer"? I read an interview at some point where TR mentioned that the former was the conclusion to the latter and they compliment each other nicely.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    I think it is probably because of legal issues around the Carly Simon song writing reference.
    The refrain is still in one of the TFA remixes, however, and it's available for play. (Then again, maybe Carly's legal team is very gray and hasn't heard of remixes.)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Remember, David Carson has been paid to work on this project, and so has Alan Moulder, at least. So, if it doesn't actually happen, NIN have thrown a fair bit of cash away. It's bound to happen IMHO, just not until HTDA sales are past the middle of the bell curve.
    There's a curve at this point of the band's life? I'd thought it would be pretty flat at this point.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    There's a curve at this point of the band's life? I'd thought it would be pretty flat at this point.
    They won't release a HTDA album and then release TF deluxe at any point which might jeopardise the success of the first project: it will be some point afterwards where there's no risk of a casual fan choosing one over the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My hope is that Interscope/Universal doesn't have too large a say in the packaging/costs of the release. I bought another copy of The Fragile last week (as my first was accidentally left in my car when it was scrapped) and it is of the cheapest quality I have ever seen. The packaging ripped twice while I was trying to get the left disc out, and again when I took the right out.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Interscope will probably do distribution and stuff for the standard reissue, but I doubt they'll do anything for the deluxe beyond take their cut of the profit.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    heres how i have my fragile playlist, and i think it would make a epic 3/4 disc version. combines tracks from still, the singles from the era and unreleased tracks from tr's acct on remix.nin.com. anyways, its epic as hell and over 3 hrs long!

01 leaving hope
    02 the new flesh (from tfa.com)
    03 somewhat damaged
    04 tdtwwa
    05 the frail
    06 the wretched
    07 gone still
    08 witt
    09 the fragille
    10 and all that could have been
    11 just like you imagined
    12 complications of the flesh
    13 even deeper (tt love dub)
    14 even deeper
    15 pilgrimage
    16 no, you dont
    17 metal
    18 untitled (from tfa.com)
    19 la mer (version)
    20 la mer
    21 great below
    22 the way out is thru
    23 into the void
    24 slipping away
    25 great collapse
    26 presistence of loss
    27 where is everybody?
    28 mark has been made
    29 10 miles high
    30 please
    31 appendage
    32 where is everybody? (version)
    33 starfukers
    34 complication
    35 new flesh
    36 no, you dont (version)
    37 tdtwwa (quiet)
    38 looking forward to joing u
    39 big come down
    40 underneath it all
    41 adrift and at peace
    42 ripe w/ decay

thats just my prefrence. IMO things falling apart would have been 900% better had it included the la mer, where is everybody and no you dont (versions), especially in place of some of the redundant, ho hum starfuckers mixes.
    since you're going for completion, don't forget the keith hillebrandt version of 'the fragile' & the porter ricks 'the day the world went away'- which i actually quite like despite the general hatred around these parts. 'the wretched' remix was decent too, from what i remember.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    the porter ricks 'the day the world went away'- which i actually quite like despite the general hatred around these parts
    You and me both! Love that mix, I don't understand the hate

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The Porter Ricks remix is the only nin song, remixes or otherwise, i skip.