Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: [We like] Death Grips

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This track is fucking GREAT!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    If this is true, this is bullshit. It just means that they "broke up" to get out of touring with NIN/SG.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    LOLOL y'all just STILL don't get it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You're so wrapped up in money. It's just paper. So what. You're complaining about imaginary currency being used to chain a couple of human beings to a stage and make them perform for your satisfaction. That's what you don't get. It is possible to just enjoy music as sound and not all of the marketing, pimping of the art. You are complaining about the product and not what it does. If anyone thinks they are above and somehow separated it's you and those who agree with you. You pride yourself as someone who "doesn't get it". Pot here's kettle. If you don't like what they do with sound that is completely fine and understandable. But please spare us your selfish need to prop yourself up as a hero against the tide. Rebel without a cause.

Also, their artistic aesthetic is their own to freely do with it what they will. If they choose to establish themselves as a reckless band who is willing to drop out of shows in an instant, then so be it. That doesn't mean you have to like or agree with it because it's not your decision to make. The visuals and public perception of the band is there's to control. Stop thinking you have all the power just because you paid for it, Mazza.
    Last edited by rampface; 12-17-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    It's your choice if you like a band with zero respect for their paying fans, but really, stop acting like anyone who thinks it's shitty of them to do what they do "doesn't get it."
    That's pretty much it. Like I've said, they've reached that point of notoriety where they clearly don't give two fucks about their fanbase but that's the point, mannnnn....they don't owe the fans anything, mannnnn....you don't get it, mannnnn....... What's more cliched? The people that 'don't get it'? Or the tired, been there done that, Pitchfork blindness of the people that are being shit on but feel it's ok in the name of 'art'?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    You're so wrapped up in money. It's just paper. So what. You're complaining about imaginary currency being used to chain a couple of human beings to a stage and make them perform for your satisfaction. That's what you don't get. It is possible to just enjoy music as sound and not all of the marketing, pimping of the art. You are complaining about the product and not what it does. If anyone thinks they are above and somehow separated it's you and those who agree with you. You pride yourself as someone who "doesn't get it". Pot here's kettle. If you don't like what they do with sound that is completely fine and understandable. But please spare us your selfish need to prop yourself up as a hero against the tide. Rebel without a cause.

Also, their artistic aesthetic is their own to freely do with it what they will. If they choose to establish themselves as a reckless band who is willing to drop out of shows in an instant, then so be it. That doesn't mean you have to like or agree with it because it's not your decision to make. The visuals and public perception of the band is there's to control. Stop thinking you have all the power just because you paid for it, Mazza.

THIS guy gets it.

Seriously. The fact that all you guys are so focussed on the monetary value of this band is astounding. It is entirely possible for a project to exist outside of the standard "Write, Record, Market, Perform, Repeat" structure, and can exist purely to mock that very structure. Death Grips are putting out forward thinking music that makes sense to some and doesn't make sense to other so much that it angers them. And the same can be said for their touring/release strategies. The majority of Death Grips fans aren't bothered by their knack of canceling shows, and public "deception" because it's ALWAYS been there. It's part of the fun. We all expect it, and it makes sense to us, because we understand what they're saying about the music industry.

But because YOU ALL don't get it, means that you all have to angrily dismiss this project's existence, fan base, and musical strategy, because it's not what YOU expect. You don't like their music so why should them canceling a show bother you? Why does them dropping out of a NIN tour anger you so much, when you all already said shit like "GUESS I'M SHOWING UP LATE THEN" when you had no intentions of watching them to begin with.

Is it not possible for you all to just simply ignore their existence? Because really, all you're doing is just giving us Death Grips fans more room to troll these whiney complaints. Which is exactly what my post up above was.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I dunno, man. I'm a big fan of theirs. I think that they are on the forefront of creating their own archetypes. I understand that pushing buttons is part of their color palette. However, if they push their fans' buttons too far, then they are in the territory of alienation zone.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The point is to shatter your own perceptions as well. Would I be pissed if I showed up to a Death Grips show only to see a suicide email and people destroying a drumset? Yea... until I realized that was the show. Doing all this creates a mystique around each performance, something missing from artists today who jump into a perfectly oiled machine and ride the wave.

Also, what other band on this forum agitated someone enough to divide opinions into separate opinions. This is some old school mind-racism type shit luzlzz. Why come into a thread and share your point of view if you are not prepared to defend it? What good does it do to circle jerk about your thoughts with nothing to oppose or consider you to question your stance? That's not thinking.

Anyways I need Jenny Death!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who likes the band because they make music that I enjoy? I haven't spent a dime on them and couldn't care less what kind of people they are, I just like the tunes.
    Last edited by imail724; 12-18-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I was a big fan of the money store.

I thought this band is retired though? Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Didn't realize that there are two threads now haha......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Am I the only one who likes the band because they make music that I enjoy? I haven't spent a dime on them and couldn't care less what kind of people they are, I just like the tunes.
    This. When it comes to bands with dickheads in them, I use the Guns N Roses analogy. Axl Rose may be a cunt, but it doesn't stop me from liking GNR, shitty person doesn't equal shitty music. The same applies to Death Grips.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I was a big fan of the money store.

I thought this band is retired though? Am I missing something?
    The band decided to call it "quits" in the summer, but they still have the last half of their double album coming out sometime this year. This new song is the first song released from the second part of the record. There's rumors going around that the band might start getting back together for stuff based on an "unofficial" Twitter page alluding to that notion.

I like everything they do and I find them to be interesting enigmas....but I also like Ariel Pink, Sun Kil Moon too...so fuck me right?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Heads up, this site is taking preorders for a January release of Ex-Military on vinyl. Pretty much guaranteed to be a boot, but it's better than paying 400 for an OG copy, right?

http://www.vinyl-digital.com/en/Rock...=Death%20grips

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Can't die, won't die. <3

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Fuck. Yes.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    A few of these tracks on here genuinely could be some of the best beats they have ever created. A few of these are phenomenal, and I wish they had MC Ride losin' it on top of them.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Who are Death Grips and why do they get talked about so much on here?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Grips

A very controversial Hip Hop/Punk/Art project that creates awesome subversive forward thinking hip hop.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Do they have a good grip on death?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love "Runway H"

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    stop responding to people with gifs

What the fuck.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    stop responding to people with gifs

What the fuck.

Chyah!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Did someone say DEATH GIFs????

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Can we all make better posts please?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Not sure if serious. Anyways they probably got talked about on ETS more due to them "breaking up" or whatever it is one would call whatever they did prior to the summer NIN/SG tour...

http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/nine...plan_cold_cave

"Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden were recently left without an opener for their summer tour when controversial rap aggressors Death Grips went ahead and broke up ahead of the trip. Now, just a few days before the trek gets underway, it's been announced that electronic artist Oneohtrix Point Never, tech-metal crew Dillinger Escape Plan and dark wavers Cold Cave will split the opening duties throughout the summer."

sorry everyone… why would I have ever thought those dudes could keep it together?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Wow. This stuff is really great. Better than the first half of The Powers That B.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Wow. This stuff is really great. Better than the first half of The Powers That B.
    Agreed. Niggas on the Moon was awesome, but the Bjork samples really limited that album's potential. These beats are so sick, and I hope that these are a really good representation of what Jenny Death has in store.