Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails on Jimmy Kimmel 11.07

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    If you all keep criticizing his pants, you know he'll just stubbornly keep wearing them, right?

:P
    Well, in that case, I hope he stubbornly ends up playing Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get, and Everything. And well, I can't seem to be bothered, especially after all those times I've watched Closure. It doesn't seem to phase me at all.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I wish people would stop bashing the pants - I think they are serving a very practical purpose but can't really say what for fear of being accused of weirdness!
    Ball sweat?
    Chaffing?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Ball sweat?
    Chaffing?
    Band name....

yeah this is getting weird im out

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails on Jimmy Kimmel 11.07

VMOE: I had the same problem with it last night on the broadcast as I did at the Atlanta show two weeks ago. It just doesn't sound big enough. The verses are too bare live. Something isn't coming through the way it should. I don't know what it is.

All time low was fucking great tho. I love that song.
    Last edited by sweeterthan; 11-08-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Sanctified, CBH and THTF videos plz?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    man, the official version has really great quality -- LOVIN' VMOE. Keep listening to it...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Kimmel's live music channel has uploaded the HD version of VMoE:

Why didn't he sing this part?

An effigy so wondrous to behold
    Statements so profound
    A place to bury everything I did
    And burn it to the ground

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Statements so profound
    I couldn't tell if it was a fuck up or if he was purposely shortening it to fit the time slotted.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I couldn't tell if it was a fuck up or if he was purposely shortening it to fit the time slotted.
    It would've only added like less than 30 seconds to the song so I'm thinking a fuck up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Statements so profound
    i'm guessing the time constraint on the televised music performance is capped at 4:30-5:00 minutes, so the song would have needed to be shortened. also,it would make sense if VMOE would up being a single, that the radio edit would cut out half of the second verse. it's a pretty solid rule of thumb for singles to have shorter second verses, so you reach the chorus quicker.

EDIT
    :
    it definitely was intentional, whatever the reasoning. remember, they play to backing tracks. evenif trent fucked up, the entire length of the second verse's backing track still would have played.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

It would've only added like less than 30 seconds to the song so I'm thinking a fuck up.
    But the band came in for the chorus right on time. That's what makes me think it's not a fuck up.
    Last edited by sweeterthan; 11-08-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Stupid TV and its OCD time constraints.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I wish people would stop bashing the pants - I think they are serving a very practical purpose but can't really say what for fear of being accused of weirdness!
    wait, what's the purpose?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k258 View Post
    Aside from the song itself, I think Trent's two-fisted grip on the mic blocked the view of his face so much, it made him feel less accessible, again leading to click...goodbye. But I do love those drop crotch pants.
    this is some intense internet quarterbacking

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Is ATL available in 1080p? My downloaded only found the 720 version.
    Me too. I've only been able to download 720p. Anyone figured out how to download the 1080p version?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    EDIT: love the glitching out your camera is doing in THTF. with the original music video in mind, it almost seems intentional.
    Yeah, I can't decide if they put more energy into the song than usual or it was the jumpiness. Can we get a whole show shot like this?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I wonder if in three years from now this will be regarded as "remember the time when Trent put those black chics in leather while imitating Bowie riffs and singing EDIETS part two on late night tv? Ah, good times..."

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the new line up. It feels forced. But then again, a lot of NIN feels forced in hindsight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I know I shouldn't give one fuck about them, but they just weird me out. Probably because I have never seen a pair in real life. I didn't even know they existed until the video from Tension showed up. It's like they want to be pajama pants and normal pants at the same time.
    My philosophy is, Never question a musician's stage outfit. It's a performance — everything should be bigger and weirder than life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think VMOE was good but wow, the mixing sucked some serious ass. It sounded really bare and flat..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    VMOE: I had the same problem with it last night on the broadcast as I did at the Atlanta show two weeks ago. It just doesn't sound big enough. The verses are too bare live. Something isn't coming through the way it should. I don't know what it is.
    Yeah, I've been grumbling about it too after hearing a few of the bootlegs. It was my first favorite song from the album, but I'm not feeling it live.

Ironically, I think the weird mix actually helped it a bit — the choruses had more punch.

Speaking of which, my theory about the mix: Kimmel's people mixed it that way because most people are gonna listen to it through the crappy speakers built into their TV, not a surround system (even assuming they have one). It's a talk show, not a movie.

I've listened to both songs through headphones and then through my laptop speakers, and it sounds like they're making the best of a really bad situation.

On the flipside, with decent speakers/headphones you can really hear what Pino is doing.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    My philosophy is, Never question a musician's stage outfit. It's a performance — everything should be bigger and weirder than life.
    That's probably the best way to look at it. If every artist was judged by what they wore, you wouldn't have Bowie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I only laugh because this chick wears those non stop. Come on Trent.... Come on.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

All time low was fucking great tho. I love that song.
    I liked your post because I agree that it didn't sound big enough on Kimmel, but I think it sounded gorgeous in actual concert. It did in Orlando, anyway.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    If you all keep criticizing his pants, you know he'll just stubbornly keep wearing them, right?

:P
    YAH! just like that time he published the Everything videO just to thumb his nose at the haters...or not.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I still think that Various Methods of Escape was a really odd choice for a TV show. I like the song very much, but I think they could go with something that has a little more mass appeal. As much as the fans would whine, getting the single version of Came Back Haunted or even Everything on TV would probably cause a bigger impact with viewers. And being on TV for two songs is about getting more attention, not pleasing superfans.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    I still think that Various Methods of Escape was a really odd choice for a TV show. I like the song very much, but I think they could go with something that has a little more mass appeal. As much as the fans would whine, getting the single version of Came Back Haunted or even Everything on TV would probably cause a bigger impact with viewers. And being on TV for two songs is about getting more attention, not pleasing superfans.
    I feel like the song's too slow for a late night TV show, without anything else to hold it up beyond lyrics. Don't get me wrong, VMOE is one of my absolute favorite songs on the album, but I don't think a casual/non fan would be drawn in by it. My roommates certainly weren't. It didn't help that that performance sliced out a lot and was horribly mixed.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Poor TR, his voice just isn't cutting it anymore. I think he would have been better off with the HTDA plan of having a female lead(but maybe calling it NIN if he is so concerned with selling records).

I really think if he wants to keep doing the lead vocals for NIN he needs to totally change his vocal style (and not just singing lower).

Anyway, VMOE is a great song, and I think with a better mix it still has potential live. But i agree that it is a weird song to try and pull in new fans. Maybe if they had executed better.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Of the songs they played, All Time Low would have been my choice for the showcase song. But wouldn't In Two have been perfect for holding the attention of people who don't know anything about NIN? It grabs you right from the start, and then just when it seems like it's going to let you go, that slow build tightens its grip and cuts off your air.

… Or maybe it just has that effect on me. Anyway, no one song on the album has so much going on. I don't get why it was left out of the ACL set, either.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 11-09-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Typos. Sheesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I feel like the song's too slow for a late night TV show, without anything else to hold it up beyond lyrics. Don't get me wrong, VMOE is one of my absolute favorite songs on the album, but I don't think a casual/non fan would be drawn in by it. My roommates certainly weren't. It didn't help that that performance sliced out a lot and was horribly mixed.
    Ditto - VMOE is one of my favorites in the catalog at this point, but ATL goes hard and would have been perfect for the televised portion. It was great to see that on the Jimmy Kimmel Live you tube this morning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The "why you have to make it so hard" part sounds awesome, I had my doubts on that part, but WOW NIN killed the performance, I didnt like the backup singers but after watching those videos I can totally see their purpose